Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beggers belief

Man, I had some guy in my guild begging for Albrecht Tank Armor. He was like a 140+ Trader. So, I bust my ass and manage to get him a 197 and then find out he's wearing full Carbonum underneath it. Sheesh!

But, seriously. =) I always take time to drop buffs on anyone who's asking for credits. Having a high level MP, I'm sure that dropping 'Teachings of MC/TS' on an 18 Engineer is worth a fair amounts of credits to the hard working noobs out there.

Other occasions, if I get begged while dumping loot after a mission, I'll find something that would sell for the approximate level of credits they beg for and give it to them to sell. Half the time they're annoyed that they actually have to go to a shop and sell it.

Finally, I do always help Neutral faction mates with credits, advice, items they can use for the future. Usually it's the advice that comes first and then the rest follows if there's any sincerity in the conversation. I try to avoid financing Twinks as I know how utterly easy that is considering I got 6 characters with Yalms and full nano crystal sets waiting in their banks. Used to be easy to slip in a question like 'have you seen the big pyramid, yet?' and get them to fumble and say 'oh, yeah the one in BS' to blow their covers.

When it comes to beggars we all have to realize that while we often do them no favors to finance them for 30 levels, it's also possible that by getting a little guy 'over the hump' we may be preventing a good guy from leaving the game due to frustration. Then again, if we let 'em leave, we may be doing them a favor in the long run.

Begging

My last experience with beggers was a low level (50ish) asked my lvl 100ish eng for some credits. I usually tried to help out newbie's so I gave him 10k. He acted like I just slapped him, he said you have to be kidding I can't live on that. I told him to get lost and never have given anyone another credit unless I know them.
    Adyra - Lvl 203 Clan Trader
    Zaphrous - Lvl 108 Clan Engineer

Talking

when i get asked for money i do as Jynne does give them the amount of credits it takes for them to roll and mission and tell them to goto work and i follow it with the /ignore command i have been doing this for a very long time and the funny thing is i never see higher lvl people that i have previously ignored so that obviously shows that these are full time begging characters..i have also had some fun with beggers by making them do things like i told one guy to do a /terminate and come back to me that i wouldnt leave and i would give him 1 mill credits soon as he termed i did /ignore and went on my way.. So next time be creative and make them jump through hoops and after you have had your fill of ammusement just /ignore them

Post ...

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Man, I had some guy in my guild begging for Albrecht Tank Armor. He was like a 140+ Trader. So, I bust my ass and manage to get him a 197 and then find out he's wearing full Carbonum underneath it. Sheesh!

But, seriously. =) I always take time to drop buffs on anyone who's asking for credits. Having a high level MP, I'm sure that dropping 'Teachings of MC/TS' on an 18 Engineer is worth a fair amounts of credits to the hard working noobs out there.

Other occasions, if I get begged while dumping loot after a mission, I'll find something that would sell for the approximate level of credits they beg for and give it to them to sell. Half the time they're annoyed that they actually have to go to a shop and sell it.

Finally, I do always help Neutral faction mates with credits, advice, items they can use for the future. Usually it's the advice that comes first and then the rest follows if there's any sincerity in the conversation. I try to avoid financing Twinks as I know how utterly easy that is considering I got 6 characters with Yalms and full nano crystal sets waiting in their banks. Used to be easy to slip in a question like 'have you seen the big pyramid, yet?' and get them to fumble and say 'oh, yeah the one in BS' to blow their covers.

When it comes to beggars we all have to realize that while we often do them no favors to finance them for 30 levels, it's also possible that by getting a little guy 'over the hump' we may be preventing a good guy from leaving the game due to frustration. Then again, if we let 'em leave, we may be doing them a favor in the long run.
    Wow! That's almost as bad as killing your bud in the boss room!
    (FYI folks - we're guildies - :P)

Bio,

In how many instances do you get someone saying "I'm having trouble understanding..." or "This game is tough..."?

Almost every time (estimating 95/100 times), the beggar says "Can I have creds?" or "I'm a n00b...Got creds?" or "/s Need 20k for nano crystal!".

Understand that if anyone is truly ignorant to the game, it's pretty easy to tell.

If the new player (or even the twink) would like access to an org's resources, they can join an org. If not, they are more than welcome to learn the lessons of life the "hard way" (remember Bio, I soloed to roughly 145 - took a year, but at least I know where "Wailing Wastes" is, unlike a certain ARK I know).

...and saying "damn, I've done 30 missions and no Albrecht Tank Armor. If you find some, let me know" isn't begging.

Folks join orgs for a combination of 2 reasons:

1) Sharing of the social experience (Community)
    2) Sharing of the game resources (Commonwealth)

Honestly, I cannot think of any reason to join an org other than these 2 reasons (anywhere on the spectrum, of course...You may have someone who is 100% community and 0% Commonwealth, or 50/50). Can you think of other reasons?

Anyway, I agree that we should help people within our community (org-mates, faction-mates, etc), but blindly providing anything to an "unknown" seems silly. These resources can be used to enhance our own community.

Provisioner
    Trader: The trader is the most trade-skill oriented of all professions.

Weak ass players. Get rid of player trading completely. Make people work for their stuff! :P

Ok. Back to reality. Just had a level 6 begger spending half an hour jumping up and down on me and saying things like 'fwak u azzhole biatch' etc after I vicinity said for him to get lost beggerboy.

The amazing thing isn't the beggers. It's that there are apparently enough people who actually give them something to make begging viable. Those people are even scummier in my eyes and would do the world a huge favor if they didn't.

Begging isn't restricted to noones either. One of the reasons i refuse to join a guild now is because of the incessant begging found in them. So many players are just whine whine whine gimme gimme gimme as if you're sole existence on this planet is to provide for them.

It really makes me wonder what their lives are like in real life.

I like beggars as much as much as anyone else.

But today i ran out of money rolling missions (havent needed to be conservaitive on that in a long time so i didnt even think about it) with my n00b char i aske 6 diffrent people in Borry to lend me 30 creds to roll one mission and no one even replys what the hell is with that. I obviously could of gotten them if i had gone and killed a few leets but it was 30 creds i mean WTF no one can spare 30 creds to roll a mission thats ****ing dumb.
    Crossbuster Unit Member of storm

No. It's dumb that you need to beg for 30 credits.

I tell them to wait for a minute- that I'm in the middle of a conversation with someone.

Then I let them wait while I sort my inventory, talk in Guild Chat and make fun of them, whatever.

Then, after 5 or 10 minutes, I say, "wow- if you'd been doing something instead of sitting here like an idiot, waiting for me to give you a hand out- you'd probably have some money by now! Bye!!"

And I leave.

Posted by Skybert.

He made about 10k kroner which is about $1250 (not accurat, but the 10k isn't either ), which around half a month salary for many norwegians. In one day!
    Thats kinda wrong

The begger are ABLE to get 10k but thats on a very very very good day.
    On the other hand he was on a not allowed spot that "normal" beggers don`t use.

He got a pair of socks too btw

Ooh, another thing, in one day? how long was he there? i never work more then 8h a day myself

Oki, last one was a lie but anyway
    Nargothronds
    Level 125 Enforcer
    Advisor Of Deus Ex Machina
    Rubi-Ka 2

I just give them a sense and intelligence buff.!

Originally posted by zendog
    I just give them a sense and intelligence buff.!
    I'm sure most of them don't even understand the underlying sarcasm in this.
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

okie I haven't bothered to read all but Imo beggars who don't ask for more than 100k is allright.

but now I'm gonna mention a name you all have heard or seen on this forums.

"Can I please get MKII GA for 100 credits, thx in advance .. tell /xolinlevh!"

yes thats right mr.Colinhl.

now many of you may find it funny that a lvl 50+ player is begging for 10m and so, he came up to me ingame once and asked for 10m.

and yes its fun, the first 2-3 times, but no hes doing it all the time, ffs can't ppl make their own money after lvl 25 ?.

ps. I always give beggars pre lvl 25 some credits (if they are new)

Talking One solution..

When i c ppl beg at the BB in ent, i usually tell them: "Hey! Dont u know the hack to get creds? .... How do u think all high lvl players get mills of creds? Walk up to the Bartender in the BB, select him and type "moneyquest" without pressing enter/return first..."

the second they hit "q" - Bartender hit begging nuub for 800 points of sucker dmg - nuub is back in the backyard.

Sum might call this greifing...I call it fun

PS. It has never failed - those greedy beggars cant resist trying, incase the get lots of cash...dumb f..ks
    Last edited by Animoy; Jul 31st, 2002 at 10:18:40.
    Animoy - Lvl 220 Soldier on Rk-1 - General of Legion
    Athillon - Lvl 162 Engineer on Rk-1 - Member of Legion - Nerf Engi button in creation room - Sleeping

Hi, all

Hereby I wsh to comment on the begging.
    first of all I wish to tell I have been a harcore beggar upto level 20. Made around 10 million begging in 4 weeks.

The distinction I make with other beggars is the following:

I made a complete begging play which lasted about 20 minutes.
    In this play I sing and dance.
    Make jokes. Trying to amuse players.
    At the end I ask if they are willing to tip me for the entertaiment.
    (Never ever cursed at the person because he didn'T give any money, cuz thats the nature of the begging game)

The trick with begging it not to ask for money but try by roleplaying to convince the other person to give you credits or stuff without actually asking.

I even have been asked to perform my begging play before
    several clans. ( most rewarding credits wise)
    Even today I get the occasional request to perform my begging play before friends. - just to amuse then ( dont need anymore money from begging).

Currently some of my best friends are the once from which I begged.

furthermore the success of my begging play motivated me to write a second play, called "The Odyssey"
    (If you ever hearof it being performed come and watch)

Also I invite all you guys who hate begging to come and watch my begging play.
    upon request I will give you a performace of that play
    (BTW dont forget to bring enough credits with you, LOL)

The point I wish to make is: occasionally begging could be oke.
    Its how it is presented, .
    Give a beggar a change maybe he has an origional approach.
    A true roleplaying approach.

Oliewabie
    Oliewabie
    Entertainer and Rubi-Ka Trotter

Feel free to visit:
    Olie's Arul Saba Store - Gems and Bracer
    Free Champagne and refreshements

Originally posted by Basiel
    Hi, all

Hereby I wsh to comment on the begging.
    first of all I wish to tell I have been a harcore beggar upto level 20. Made around 10 million begging in 4 weeks.

*snip snip snip*

Oliewabie
    If I see beggers...

1. Are they asking politely? Using proper spelling?
    2. Are they low-level? (I don't give creds to anyone over 25 unless it's a friend of mine)
    3. Are they /shouting or /telling? (I tend to give creds a little more if they ask me personally.)

Now, if I saw Oliewabie doing what she described, she'd get a good 25k from me. 45k if I was feeling nice.

It's all in the way you ask, people...lord knows I've had to ask for 5k a couple times on my alts.
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Dear MissMaul,

How insulting,... offering only 45k for my begging play, LOL

How do you expect me to get all that money for my Yalm,

(Note I would not curse at all,... thats to say verbally.
    But it would be hard for me to resist running my special /flip script, ROFL).
    (/me still shakes her head in disbelief, 45k how dare she, )

Watch out for me.
    If I ever run into you, make sure you have at least 500k with you.
    I will throw all my begging nukes at you to empty your pockets.

Oiewabie
    Oliewabie
    Entertainer and Rubi-Ka Trotter

Feel free to visit:
    Olie's Arul Saba Store - Gems and Bracer
    Free Champagne and refreshements

Re: One solution..

Originally posted by The_Inca
    When i c ppl beg at the BB in ent, i usually tell them: "Hey! Dont u know the hack to get creds? .... How do u think all high lvl players get mills of creds? Walk up to the Bartender in the BB, select him and type "moneyquest" without pressing enter/return first..."

the second they hit "q" - Bartender hit begging nuub for 800 points of sucker dmg - nuub is back in the backyard.

Sum might call this greifing...I call it fun

That is a work of art!

Spectacular sideways thinking i love it!!!

Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

one thing though.....
    If people don't pay Beggars, they won't get S.h.i.t....?
    So the 2nd problem is those who give the "lowlifescumcalledbeggars" the money....

It's true what they say "it takes 2 to Tango"

But i liked your BB-bar "moneyquest" thing, The_Inca.
    I'll try that today
    220/27/62 Crat | 200 NT | 200 fixer |174/14/42 twink trox nt| 100/12 trader| 60/6 enf|

Total levels gained since nov 2002 |2500+ |

7 years to ding 220, any better?

I acually like besiels approach.

If i saw some dude, or some group of poeple preforming some play, or doing something else even remotely entertaining, i'd donate something. Its called patronage.

But then again, if i saw a couple of people pillow fighing (or knife fighting) in front of bb's in ent i'd track the both of them down afteterwards and give them even more money. Cuz i'd laugh for a good 20 minutes. (easy enough to do too. just start the fight in the arena with pillows, move to bb's, and keep fighing there. WOOT! Bring a doc along if you feel you cant survive a pillow beating)

-Sand

You gotta know when to give and when to forget it..

Example..

When I was level 8 or something, I was in Omni Entertainment and had just gotten fully buffed to put on some armor, and I needed like 100 credits to buy the nano for buffing whatever skill to get it on , well, just put me over the hump... I think I needed the general stamina buff( I was such a newb )

I didnt feel like I had time to go find something to sell, at this point I had sold everything but my housekey!

SOo , I yelled out.. *wont say cos I dont want beggers to get any ideas*

And someone came up to me and dropped me 100k credits! I was so appreciative and happy I almost forgot to go buy the friggin nano in time !

Anyways, thankyou for that person who helped me out when I was a newb.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast