Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Background story

Background story

I’ve noticed some background stories, so here goes mine. I hope it’s not too long.

Seven months ago on Eire, a backwater agricultural planet

The rain had begun an hour before, and his boots sucked at the muddy path with every step he took. The length and difficulty of the day exhibited signs on his sleeveless arms as his biceps twitched uncontrollably. His left boot sunk into a low spot on the path, and he heaved his leg upward, pulling his foot free from the boot, and sending him into an unbalanced pirouette. His spinning form thudded to the sloshing mud pit, coating one side of him with a thick layer of muck, and the other with tiny flecks of brown.

Patrick Hennessy sat up and did what any good Irishman would do in this situation. He blinked his eyes, stared at his mud encrusted body and began to laugh. Not a chuckle. Not a grin. No, this laugh came from the belly.

A dozen feet in front of the medium framed laughing mud-man, a door swung open. His eyes were blurred with rain and tears of laughter, but he could never mistake the image in the doorway. The tiny woman leaned against the doorjamb and crossed her arms. She grinned at Patrick with a slyness, that was both playful and mocking at the same time.

“Well,” he managed to get out as his laughing subsided, “are you going to help me up, or just stand there enjoying the show.”

Caitlin Hennessy uncrossed her arms and reached down to slip off her shoes. She leaned her head upward and smiled at her husband. Her smile was partially hidden by the long orangish/red hair cascading across her face. “ You know,” she informed him “I don’t wade through the muck for just anyone.”

She stepped off the concrete pad in front of the small hut and her bare feet sank into the mud. Her freckled face wrinkled in disgust as her feet gushed with each step. She stood over her husband and extended her hand.

With surprising agility, Patrick grabbed his wife around the waist and twisted her to the ground splashing into the pools of rainwater and mud. The two twisted in the mud, laughing hysterically in the rain. The tussle ended with Patrick straddling Caitlin, her arms pinned firmly beneath his hands.

She spit out a mouth full of wet and muddy red hair and wiggled slightly under him. She grinned up at him and said coyly, “You seem to have me at a disadvantage, sir”.

Patrick leaned his head closer to her slowly. She closed her eyes expectantly.

Neither husband nor wife noticed the form that had approached them during their playing. So enraptured with newlywed love, their ears were deaf to the sound of the hammer being cocked on the revolver. So lost in passion and happiness, she did not distinguish the difference between the crash of thunder and the gun shot that sent the bullet cleanly through Patrick’s skull. His body toppled sideways as a stream of crimson poured like a bizarre fountain.

Disoriented in the rain, confused by her husbands erratic fall, Caitlin Hennessy found herself lying in the middle of a muddy path, speckled with flecks of mud and blood, and with a revolved pressed against her temple, held by a man she knew all too well.

“Two years, Katie”, the man breathed. “It took me two $@&%ing years”.

Caitlin’s head fogged as she found it impossible to make sense of what had just happened.

“Did you really think you could hide from me forever?” Venom seeped into every word the man spoke. “I found your mother, Katie Darlin’,” he whispered into her ear, his gun still pressing tightly against her skull. “I found her and took her apart piece, by piece.” The man snaked his tongue out and licked her muddy cheek.

Caitlin’s eyes strained to the left, looking for help. But the only thing she saw was her husband’s dead body sprawled next to her.

“Oh, it’s going to be just like old times, Katie,” he grunted.

The man took the barrel away from her head and swung it viciously to crack her cheek open. He stood up and began to loosen his belt. “Ah, the runt of the litter.” He cackled madly. “If you had been a dog, you would have been put in a sack and taken down to the river.” The man paused to consider his words and must have come across something particularly sick and twisted because he began to laugh wildly.

As he laughed, Caitlin reached over to her husband. At his belt, he carried a large knife. She drew the blade slowly out from the belt. Noticing her movements, the man stomped on her wrist, which snapped like a dry twig. She howled with pain, put was resolved never to allow herself to be owned by this monster again. Her free hand grabbed his ankle and pulled with every ounce of strength in her body.

Aided by the slick mud, the man’s foot slid forward and his body fell backward. As he fell, he pointed and shot.

Searing pain blazed through her shoulder as the bullet passed through her. Ignoring the pain, she grabbed at the knife with her right hand and slashed randomly upward as the recovering monster made ready his next attack.

Blood sprayed her face as she cut a swath across his right eye. Both combatants scrambled to their feet. The pistol was raised for another shot but was visibly shaky. Not taking the time to consider the outcome of blade versus gun, Caitlin Hennessy dodged the next bullet and began to run. Two more shot were fired before she ran out of range, the first being wide to the left and the second grazing her left leg.

One week later…

A note from the planet Rubi-Ka

Dear Caitlin,

I just received your last message. Everything is arranged on my end. You’ll be traveling and living here under the name Hattie Callagher. In the five months I’ve been here, I’m convinced that this is the perfect place for you. There’s so much political turmoil here, you can blend in and no one will ever notice you. I’m begging you, stay away from the cities. Don’t draw attention to yourself, or get involved with anyone who gets media attention. He found and killed mom, he found you, and he can find you again. Safe journey, Sis.

Marge

Today on Omni-Prime……..

The mid-level administrator gleans reports from the planet Rubi-Ka. His good left eye almost misses the two-week old announcement of a party. The picture next to the bi-line has shorter hair, but the freckles and eyes spark undeniable recognition. He mumbles to himself…”Nice planet ya got there, Katie.”
    Last edited by Ditzie; Jul 30th, 2002 at 02:37:08.
    Hattie "Ditzie" Wagner
    Director of "Devil's Advocate"
    A Division of "Omni-Reform"

Wow!

That is excellent! The attention to detail really makes it come alive!

/applause!
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Bravo!

Ditz, sorry I didn't post this earlier but I was honestly just stunned at how well written that piece was! I myself was trying to put something together to put on the board and well, your marvelous story here has completely leveled the playing field and I am afraid I have come down with a serious case of Writers Block.

Please! Please! Please! Write more stories! I am very much looking forward to the next one.

Bravo my dear, bravo.

/applaudes

Can't wait to read more now...
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

conclusion

Excerpt from Rubi-Ka Times…..

The mutilated remains of a Solitus Female were discovered in Omni-Trade background 18 this morning. A thorough search of all Omni insurance terminal data banks revealed no matching DNA. The forensic team is hard at work trying to identify the woman, but representatives of Omni-Pol indicated that the skin and hair of the woman had been removed during the grizzly murder and the DNA of the victim had been manipulated by nano-technology and matched no known citizens of the planet.
    Hattie "Ditzie" Wagner

/me turns as white as a sheet.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Talking WOW!

This has me on the edge of my seat!

I cant wait for more from you Ditzie!!!

Damn you write wonderfully!
    *~*THYME*~*
    ~*Taboo's Views On Templus*~
    " "He is just a moron .You know he really isnt in the military, he is a 48 y/o man living in his parents basement who cant get laid & therefore hates all women and feels he has to belittle them because he cant get his lil peepee wet"

Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

?
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

But wait.... There's more

Hattie McCallagher twisted absently at her wedding band as she paced back and forth in her sister’s flat. She stomped her foot once again and kicked at a coffee table, rattling it and sending a porcelain statuette to the floor. The figurine hit at the perfect angle and shattered into an array of sharp white fragments.

How did things get so messed up, she wondered. She picked up the newspaper lying on Marge’s couch and read the column again. The poorly written piece described how Omni-Pol forensics had finally identified yesterdays mutilated corpse as herself, and that the corpse in question had not been sent to any known reclamation terminal. As expected, Omni-Pol was unaware of the decommissioned terminal Marge had scavenged and recoded.

Hattie shivered as she recalled the experience of being skinned and torn apart by Marge’s Gladiatorbot. Death was a familiar experience to the young woman, but allowing herself to be mutilated beyond possible recognition by her sister’s bot was so reprehensible that her stomach churned once again and she found herself trying desperately to make it to the waist basket before she littered the floor with something harder to clean up than the porcelain figurine.

Recovering from the nausea before expulsion, she looked up at a clock on the wall and noted the time. Five more hours. Should she risk it? Will someone see her as she makes her way to Borealis? If someone she knows sees her, then the pain, the grizzly death, every part of the plan would be for nothing. But the risk of not going was greater. When she came to Rubi-ka, the plan was to remain anonymous and avoid contact with everyone. But life has a funny way of twisting lives into either misery or bliss. And the last three months, had indeed been bliss.

No, this meeting could not be missed. There was too much explaining to be done.
    Last edited by Ditzie; Jul 31st, 2002 at 20:13:59.
    Hattie "Ditzie" Wagner

/me smiles hopefully.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Red face eheheh

ooc: ey thanks for all this great stuff ,)
    tradeskillz ?

Kinda nice story, good writing and such
    "It's your life. Keep it up! Keep it real!"

Very well written, I must say

Keep up the good work!
    Rebekah Poachie Vein - Lvl 200 Omni-Tek Bureaucrat - Equipment
    April Poachinator Joor - Lvl 150 Omni-Tek Enforcer - Equipment

/me pulls her cloak tightly around her body, raises the hood up to cover her face and leaves the apartment.
    Hattie "Ditzie" Wagner

*nudge -nudge*

/me bumps for more!!!!

No, not rushing you for more story.

Well, yea I am. *looks guilty* But I like it more than my book I'm reading atm! So, Ya know..

BACK TO WORK!
    Last edited by Thyme; Aug 1st, 2002 at 17:05:09.
    *~*THYME*~*
    ~*Taboo's Views On Templus*~
    " "He is just a moron .You know he really isnt in the military, he is a 48 y/o man living in his parents basement who cant get laid & therefore hates all women and feels he has to belittle them because he cant get his lil peepee wet"

Patience Boss,

Rushed story = Disappointed reader
    Hattie "Ditzie" Wagner

Next

Hattie pulled one of Nevver’s T-shirts over her head and smiled as the hem reached almost to her ankles. She pulled the collar to her nose and breathed in. As with some people, the faint scent triggered a specific memory. She closed her eyes and suddenly she was sitting on the roof of Reet’s Retreat. It was night and the stars lit up the sky. Music pounded from below, as she and some of the members of Belle Rouge relaxed. Cekov sat to her left, and a few feet to her right were Nevver, Godsyn and the new organization director Satyrnine. Further back from the edge, Aktrez and Nemi talked privately about the departure of Director Rizzior.

Why this memory, she wondered as she opened her eyes. Why not the wedding or something more intimate. Perhaps it was because it was the first time she danced with the woman that would turn her life from hell to heaven. She replayed the night’s events. Rizzior’s announcement that he was leaving; Satyrnine’s accession to Director; Aktrez declaring that she was taking time off; Satyrnine, Nevver and herself dancing in red lace lingerie around Sat’s Gladiatorbot.

Hattie shrugged to herself and the open collar of the T-shirt slipped halfway down her shoulder. She padded across the cold floor and into the kitchen where she helped herself to the pot of coffee Marge had left on the burner. Lost in thought, she poured until the steaming coffee spilled over the rim of the mug, pooled on the counter, then dripped off the edge and onto her bare foot. Pursing her lips, she sucked in air and shook her foot.

“If she wasn’t my sister, I’d take her to court for brewing the coffee too hot,” she mumbled to herself.

Leaving the mess on the counter, she took her cup, walked to the couch and sat down, pulling her knees to her chest. She rested her chin on her knee and stared vacantly at a picture of Philip Ross on the wall.

Something snapped in her mind, like a door opening. Clarity and connections were made as synapses fired. The memory had nothing to do with Belle Rouge.

Last night, as she met secretly with Nevver, she had tried to explain her past and make revelations she had hoped to keep secret. One secret revealed was tied to that night on the roof of Reet’s Retreat. She closed her eyes again and chewed on her lower lip as she concentrated.

She sat on the edge of the building’s roof. Her legs dangled over the edge as she fidgeted nervously with something in her hands. From up the ramp, Solar Entertainment Board Member Joeyp, joined the small group. He had obviously been drinking heavily, was wearing an obnoxious pair of boxer shorts, and dancing foolishly. It was innocent enough, but his staggering dancing strayed to close to Hattie. A few inches was all it took as his knee connected with Hattie’s elbow and sent the object in her hands plummeting down to disintegrate into a hundred thousand shards of crystal.

All it took was a slight bump from a friend who had a little too much to drink. One tiny bump and it was gone.

Hattie wiped at her eyes clouded with tears.

Her most treasure possession had been lost that night. A simple crystal storing the holographic image of her daughter.
    Hattie "Ditzie" Wagner

/me sits on the edge of her seat!

Mmmm... that brings back memories! We had a lot of fun on the roof that night. I had forgot about when we danced with Marvin - I miss that prissy bot!
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

He sat in the first class section of the transport and scanned through the last few days of the Rubi-ka Times. He smiled crookedly as he came across the report of Hattie's death.

"You never were very bright, Katie," he muttered under his breath.

This would only make the hunt more interesting, he thought to himself as he sat the data pad down.

A tug on his sleeve broke his concentration.

"Daddy?" a small squeeling voice piped up. "Why does that scarry man have stitches over his mouth?"

He smoothed back the hair from his daughter's head and smiled at her. "He's a nano-mage, honey." He said gently. "Pretty scarry isn't he?"

The eight year old child nodded as she couldn't take her eyes off the strange looking man across the aisle.

"Don't stare, Elizabeth!" The man said softly. "That's bad manners."

He sank back into dark thoughts as the trasport inched closer to Rubi-ka with every passing second.

OOC ((Would anyone be interested in roleplaying this character? I can finish the story in prose, but it might be more interesting to take this into the game.))
    Last edited by Ditzie; Aug 2nd, 2002 at 16:03:49.
    Hattie "Ditzie" Wagner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast