Thread: Darke Memories

Darke Memories

((This story is a look into the past of Agent Dennis Ryland. It will mainly run from as far back as I want to run it, onward to present day, but there may be a few flashbacks (depends how I feel ^^) I hope this will be a refreshing change from Devins story and show my ability to roleplay both sides of the fence, keeping them separate. Hope you all enjoy))

Part 1

The office was every bit as stereotypical as the last, spacious, well furnished and far from ill equipped. The walls were painted a deep maroon, a classic touch to the oak panelling and woodwork that decorated the rest of the room. In small alcoves, golden strip lights added to the mood of the room, lighting it enough to see, but dimmed enough to intimidate. It was the kind of thing the Agent who owned the office wanted. Deep red Leather furniture, wooden floorboards, a desk with a top of the line computer. These things showed his status in the corporation. These material objects showed wealth and power. But it wasn't the thing that showed his status the most, or his power. He already did that perfectly well himself. A man of sophistication and class, but not without his cheeky wits.
    Dennis Ryland was an agent through and through, dedicated to his company, to his family. He had worked hard to get the kind of status he had then, and he would be damned if he was giving up on all that hard work.

Dennis Ryland sat at his desk casually, a cigarette between his fingers, burning slowly. In the background, classical music played softly, a calming piano piece, the perfect touch to the atmosphere. The smoke from the cigarette curled up into the air, a bluish grey whisp lingering in the dim light of the office. It lingered a moment before fading, dissolving into the golden glow of the few lights on in the room. He held the cigarette up to his lips and took another long drag. It had been a long day and at last, it was time to sit down and try and relax.
    Inside, it was calm, but outside the battles were still raging, and peace seemed no where in sight. The young agent couldn't see why there was need for a rebellion, why people would turn their backs on the corporation who raised them, fed them and gave them jobs. Yet it was happening on Omni Beta, his backyard. Despite the calming office, there was no peace. In time there would be, and with alot of hard work. He knew what it was going to take and he was willing to do all he could to ensure that the corporation succeeded in it's goals.

He ran his fingers though his short blonde hair a moment, letting out a long, deep sigh. He was young, yet age seemed to be catching up with him already. Still, he was a handsome sight, dressed sharply in a deep grey suit, maroon tie and black shoes, he looked every bit the business man. Clean shaven and neat, his appearance showed a well to do, corporate worker. When he spoke, his tone was casual, yet it held age, and it held a wisdom to it too. His laugh was rather dry but not without good humour, and his smile showed a cheeky man behind the corporate agent. This kind of confidence shone in Dennis and it shone through his work too, intimidating when needed and friendly when deserved.
    Dennis was a family man, married with a child on the way. He didn't want to have to bring up his child in a world torn apart by war. No one did. He knew he had to protect his family at all costs, just as he protected his corporation. But things were going to be hard in times to come.

His gaze fell upon the photo on his desk. A photo off his wife and himself, taken not longer than a year ago. It was black and white, framed eloquently in ebony and silver. A gentle smile creeped across his features as he looked at it, remembering where they were. That vacation by the falls. They were so happy. He had been promoted that day too, if he recalled correctly. They both stood at the foot of the falls, side my side, hand in hand. They couldn't have looked happier, more at peace.
    It was a pity that peace was dissolving. Slowly, day by day, he watched his wife slip further and further from him. It was subtle, but he saw it. He had a keen sense for these things. And each day he tried to remain strong for her. She was scared for her husband, afraid he would never come back to her, that he would die on the field. But that was part of the danger of being an agent. Part of war...
    Letting out a long sigh, he stubbed his cigarette out and leaned back in his chair, letting his eyes slip shut. Time would be the teller and time would be his keeper. He wouldn't let it slip by, but for just this moment, he would let it stand still for him, while the music played on, lost in his tranquility.
    In the morning 'bout three or so, can't stop thinking about what I know. In the morning 'bout three or so
    Can't stop thinking of the universe. I keep rocking, I keep rolling, trade in a minute for a minute that isn't there. Keep dropping, keep rolling. Put out the fire with the water, thinking creosote. I the morning with a beat up bud I know I can't fight a war without losing blood.
    In the morning 'bout three or so, can't stop seeking what I need to know, God is in the mountain as is in the rock, and God is not concerned about keeping stock.

Part 2

There was a buzz from the small comm unit built into the desk. Casually, Ryland opened the channel, one elbow leaning on his desk, his chin resting on his hand, and the other hand hovering over the comm's connection button.
    "A Mr Chamberlin is here to see you" came the voice through the comm speaker, crackling slightly.
    "Send him in" he said clicking the comm off, leaning back in his chair again.
    He had already looked over Mr Chamberlin's file that day, looking over it and preparing himself for this meeting. Mr Jonathan Chamberlin was applying to join his department. The file was made up not only off his application, but a personal record, his personal details and anything else he could rake together on the agent. But agents were tricky and he knew that well. A fine toothed comb had to be used for these kind of people and he had went over everything as best he could.

There was a knock at the door and Ryland called for him to enter, fingers lacing together as he leaned forward again, elbows on the desk and hands held loosely together.
    "Come in Mr Chamberlin, take a seat" he said directing him with a hand gesture to the seat in front of his desk. The young man walked in, clearing his throat as he sat down, fixing his suit and placing his briefcase on the floor next to his chair. He looked around himself, observing the room, the dim lights. The soft piano music played on quietly in the background, but the minor progressions throughout the music didn't help ease the atmosphere any.
    "Thank you Mr Ryland, sir" the man said, sitting upright in his seat.
    Dennis just flicked his eyebrows up a little, head cocked to the side, before leaning forward again. Beneath his clasped fingers sat Jonathans file.
    "I've looked over your profile. Everything here seems to be in order" he said pausing, looking the man in the eyes. "Six years of military training, three years added training on Omni Prime, and a good education to bump. I can see why you'd want to join. Why you want to join my department however is irrelevant. What matters is that you have the basic training we need and more will be offered to you over the time you spend working here as a field agent"
    The man opposite him sat and nodded slowly, his eyes still focused on Rylands.
    "What you have to understand here is that what goes on with InternOps, stays inside InternOps. You only answer to your superiors" his voice is a little strict, to the point as he speaks. "I would be that superior. Nothing leaves this building unless it is going to a position higher than us, and nothing is discussed with anyone unless given the authority to do so. Unless Omni Pol is holding a piece of paper that says you can give them information, stamped by Mr Ross himself you keep quiet and do your job"
    "Yes sir"
    "Drop the 'sir', crap... it's Mr Ryland. This isn't Omni Armed Forces" he said making a slightly repulsed face. He raised his eyebrows in a quick flick and looked at the brown file before him before looking back at Jonathan, his expression calm and collected again.
    "Permission to speak, Mr Ryland" Jonathan said as boldly as he could manage, but a slight fear hung in his breath as the words came out.
    Mr Ryland nodded in response.
    "I was just sent here to sign the paperwork... I have a meeting to attend with some old colleagues and..."
    Dennis raised a hand to silence him casually, chuckling dryly to himself and shaking his head.
    "I don't think you understand, Mr Chamberlin. This is my department. I need to make sure you know the rules before I go passing you the papers to sign. And I need to make sure you are a trust worthy agent. I only hire the best and you seem to be top of your game. Prove to me your training was worthwhile" he said, casually leaning back in his seat and opening a drawer in his desk. He pulled out a sheet of paper from the drawer and leant forward again, sliding it over to Jonathan, a slightly cocky smile on his face. "I'd expect you to read it, but I'd rather you just signed it and went back to your colleagues" the last part was spoken with a slight amount of sarcasm.
    Jonathan looked up from the paper at Dennis before signing the paper quickly and with some amount of haste, sliding it back across the desk. Dennis picked it up, looking at the signature, his other hand flipping the file open. His eyes looked from the paper to the file quickly before he added the form to the small stack of papers, closing the folio.
    "Welcome aboard, Mister Chamberlin" Dennis said smiling a little, reaching a hand out. Jonathan shook his hand politely, and stood up, picking up his briefcase as he moved back.
    "I'll see you tomorrow, seven am sharp" Ryland said almost tonelessly. Jonathan just smiled as he walked towards the door. As he turned the door handle open, Dennis called out. "Oh and one more thing, Mr Chamberlin... if you dare to go back on the contract, if you dare to disobey the rules I have set, I will make sure that your family never sees or hears from you again" His tone was almost casual, but his gaze was dark, cold.
    He returned his attention back to the file in front of him. A hand reached over and clicked the comm. "Mr Chamberlin will be leaving the building now Ms Clark, thank you"
    Last edited by devin; Sep 13th, 2005 at 12:28:21.
    In the morning 'bout three or so, can't stop thinking about what I know. In the morning 'bout three or so
    Can't stop thinking of the universe. I keep rocking, I keep rolling, trade in a minute for a minute that isn't there. Keep dropping, keep rolling. Put out the fire with the water, thinking creosote. I the morning with a beat up bud I know I can't fight a war without losing blood.
    In the morning 'bout three or so, can't stop seeking what I need to know, God is in the mountain as is in the rock, and God is not concerned about keeping stock.

((Very nice *woots*))
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu