Thread: Boss MOB with MUCH too high-level nuke.

Boss MOB with MUCH too high-level nuke.

Tonight, my team was in a QL 141 mission. We were totally wasting everything, until the boss...

In fact, we totally wasted the boss, too. It was pretty weak HP-wise compared to most bosses--the only hitch? It insta-killed one of my teammates with a 2176 point nuke.

Since it was a boss, it was hard to tell if it was an NT or a Crat, but one important fact is that the nuke was Energy damage. This makes it very easy to track down, since there aren't many heavy-hitting energy damage nukes out there.

There are basically only 2 nukes it could be:
    Rule of One
    QL 179
    Inflicts 1,375-3,211 points of energy-based damage.

OR

Cascade of the Storm
    QL 175
    Massive bolts of lightning strike the target, inflicting 932-2,218 points of energy-based damage.

Both of these require more than 800 points of MC...and should NOT be on a QL 141 boss. Not by a long-shot.

The idea that MOBs can cast nukes at their own QL is asanine as it is--without the 50% rule, there are quite a few nukes that can insta-kill PCs, because they are balanced for NPCs with 10 times the HP. But the idea that a nuke 34 QL's above the mission being cast? Absurd.

With the skill required to cast Rule of One, an NT could cast Izgimmer's Little Nuke, which is insta-kill to basically any player no matter what. (2,834-4,739)

-Jayde
    Last edited by Jayde; Jul 30th, 2002 at 08:38:53.

If you didn't get killed by the near-instant Last Words about 5 months ago you shouldn't complain. (j/k)

Bosses are quite more challenging and special for their type and I think considering them to be +/~ 10 levels of the ql of the mission is missleading.

They have more HP, evades and AC than a mob their level and having higher nano skills sounds also reasonable.

I understand your pain though.
    ~Have you hugged your leet today?~

F̶u̶n̶c̶o̶m̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶:̶)̶
    Thanks for "fixing" DM, Funcom, yeah, no really... thank you so, so much. I was missing having my toolset put back to 2007.

A few weeks ago I did a team mission using my enforcer, along with a few friends. We got to the boss, and I died in about 5 seconds. My enforcer is only level 65, but has about 3200 hp. Why did she die so fast? The boss was an NT and the little helpers were all crats. Every single one nuked me at the same exact time. Each one was about 600 dmg nuke. There were 4 helpers and 1 boss. The boss nuked for about 1000 instead of 600. All in all, I was hit at the same time for:

600 +
    600 +
    600 +
    600 +
    1000 =
    3400 dmg

Nice. Real nice. F***ing Funcom.

That's the end result of one of the many poor programming efforts by FunCom. Every single nuker and caster MOB executes their nanos at the same exact instant. Either a cheap way to be frugal with timers in missions or just poor programming practice.

One way to fix this without rewriting the nano-trigger code would be to prevent 'pairs' of nukers from spawning together. The room with two NT's would spawn with a Fixer and an NT instead. Much more interesting anyway. Instead of two Crats, you get one Crat and an Agent.

It's really transparent how poorly done a lot of the coding in AO is. Things like the simultaneous nukes are glaring examples of shortcuts and/or oversights that riddle the game's framework.

Originally posted by Angelus0001
    If you didn't get killed by the near-instant Last Words about 5 months ago you shouldn't complain. (j/k)

Bosses are quite more challenging and special for their type and I think considering them to be +/~ 10 levels of the ql of the mission is missleading.

They have more HP, evades and AC than a mob their level and having higher nano skills sounds also reasonable.

I understand your pain though.
    Well, unfortunately, I don't believe MOBs should even be able to cast Last Word at all. lol Maybe it was taken out of the nuke rotation, I'm not sure (never seen it myself)...but there's no way an insta-kill attack should exist for regular MOBs--even bosses. That's just stupid.

At any rate, even if we did asume it was a QL +10, that puts the boss at level 151. This is a QL 175ish nano we're talking about here. Why is a level 151 mob casting a QL 175 nano? Why are they casting a QL 175 NUKE, when Nukes should be maintained at lower than level QL to maintain balance in the slightest bit?

Also, as mentioned, all MOBs nuke at once. This is really, really bad/cheap in boss rooms. 1 strong nuke is one thing...maybe avoidable if you have Layered Protection, HP buffs, and good HP in general. (Not to mention a quick healer.) But getting hit by 2 at the same time? 3? 4? Impossible.

In general, I have notice a lot more nukeing recently. I guild-mate at level 84 was killed by a green NT/Crat with 2000 points of energy damage this evening. TWO TIMES IN A ROW. (That being, he went back to the mission and suffered the same fate.) I don't think he even had 2000 HP. This MOB was no more than level 72 or so--casting a freakin' 2000 point nuke!! That's just absurd. Energy damage, too...so refer to my previous post about the nano in question.

Again, that's Cascade of the Storm or Rule of One in a QL 81 mission on a level ~72 MOB.

I was hit by a insta-1700 point nuke two nights ago by a crat. Of course, it was insta-cast and was surrounded by 2 or 3 hits on either side. I didn't stand a chance. There's no way you can stay at 100% health the whole time during a fight. Anywhere near 60% life (as a normal point of HP in battles), and you're toast from these various nukes.

-Jayde
    Last edited by Jayde; Jul 30th, 2002 at 08:56:36.

my crat got nuked for 900+ at lvl 35-40 by a mob in single mission...
    Leamartini - 219 Doctor Too good for enlightenment ...
    Claraa - 150 Bureaucrat Twink wannabe
    Poleemploi - 161 Agent On the way to froob enlightenment !

(04:50) [Battlestation] Techbro: i tab +double
    (04:50) [Battlestation] Techbro: skillz
    (04:50) [Battlestation] Techbro: no time for t

Originally posted by Longyen
    A few weeks ago I did a team mission using my enforcer, along with a few friends. We got to the boss, and I died in about 5 seconds. My enforcer is only level 65, but has about 3200 hp. Why did she die so fast? The boss was an NT and the little helpers were all crats. Every single one nuked me at the same exact time. Each one was about 600 dmg nuke. There were 4 helpers and 1 boss. The boss nuked for about 1000 instead of 600. All in all, I was hit at the same time for:

600 +
    600 +
    600 +
    600 +
    1000 =
    3400 dmg

Nice. Real nice. F***ing Funcom.
    Well if you makes you feel better, team missions now only have up to 2 helpers down there

Casters are dangerous. Must always kill them fast (it's possible due to their low hp).

Or... get soldiers, fully buffed with all kinds of survival stuff to go up 1st with MK on. Other people won't survive.

The worst type of boss is not the NT type, coz at least they are killable.

The worst, IMO, are huge enforcer types who have insane hp, crits for 1.5k EVERY hit at insane speed as well.

My team finally killed it after a long long fight becoz we used a slayer to tank, with MP healing the slayer. Else... I wouldn't be the only casualty.

They absolutely have to fix the all mobs nuking at once crap in the boss room at a minimum. I'm guessing they have one or at the most two timers that tick for the entire mission. When it ticks, they do a nano. Not bad when you are going room to room.

But in the boss room with 4 NT's or Bothackers al focused on one player, it's kind of stupid and ultimately unfair to the players to have to suffer from a code streamlining technique like that.