Thread: Roleplaying in Anarchy Online

_Krelian_

Post Roleplaying in Anarchy Online

I'm sorry to post an ooc message on this board, but I felt it was the only place I could get an accurate response. I am thinking about purchasing AO, but I have a few concerns about it.
    I'm looking for the MMORPG with the most roleplaying opportunities, as well as the most roleplaying actually done in it. As I research the game, I see many positive and many negative signs. I read about the story arc, the news stories about the attempted assassination, being able to attend the committee meeting, and all these other things, and I am blown away. Then I read posts on message boards that sound like something about EverQuest except 'cleric' is replaced by 'doctor', 'spells' by 'programs', etc.

I just wanted to hear, from people who have actually been in the game, and know what roleplaying is, which one of the two is prevalent. Do a fair amount of people roleplay, and does the game provide a good environment for it? Or is it very similar to EQ, with a total minority roleplaying, and the vast majority happily camping so they can get experience and advance their character in a world that is made for people to do only that.

I also want to make a distinction here...I feel like there is a significant difference between a realistic world that provides a good overall sort of political roleplay environment, which this game seems to be, as opposed to a game that encourage more individual, character roleplaying. From what I have heard from people, AO is more of the former, with a lot of struggle between the factions and animosity between the opposing groups, but not as much individual personality. Please clear this up for me, as it is really important to me to have the individual style be the focus.

Am I making the distinction clear here? I realize many people may have personalities and backgrounds to their characters, but how much interaction is there that involves this and makes it worthwhile and fun?

Any help you guys can provide would really assist me in deciding whether to play this game or not, so thanks a lot.

OOC.

I game is always what you make of it. People used to roleplay with just a few rules, pen, paper and a set of dice. The worlds they played in only existed in peoples minds. As computers come along they provided the tools to help create these worlds. The problem is the more you give the players, the more the players expect, in a way the players become lazy demanding some else does the thinking so they can just site back and watch. But of course this is not true of all players.

AO has the largest number of roleplayers I have met in any game so far. AO has also provided so many of the tools required to roleplay, its just down to how you use them. AO has many great locations not all combat or mission based, from mining complexs, to night clubs, seedy bars, admin buildings, appartments, burger joints, swimming pools and the list goes on.

The range of items, and classes and races is so great that you get the feeling you can have really unique characters in AO and trust me there are quite a few about. AO also has a changing enviroment created in part by the changing story line but also by the players themselves.

Interaction is a key part of the game you are forced by the very nature of the gsme to do this. In order to progress you will find you need to team up with people for missions or hunting. Most people are part of a guild, and most guilds I have seen do provide a clear structure with people given clear roles.

There is also a lot of interaction outside of the normal events people taking time of to sit and chat in one of the club or attending a baboons party like this weekend for example. (shameless plug)

So yes there is a great chance to Roleplay in AO, but you must remember that not everyone does, and not all the roleplayers are no line at the same time nor do even the roleplayer roleplay all the time. Leveling, doing missions are as much a part of the game as any other dont come expecting to Roleplay all the time, or it to be packed with roleplayers. But if you find the right people who are on at your time.

Personally I found AO a lot better than EQ to roleplay, there enough reasons above to perhaps tell me why. But the bottom line is that AO feels real, it has so many of the things I see in every day life and allows me to do some of the same things.

OOC:

He...Well, Kirr wrote an exelent post above, and all is true, and I couldnt agree more =)

AO is the game that so far has provided us with most tools to help, and make RP, easier. It all comes down to two things, if you ask me, The details (it such a wonderfull thing, that you acctually can recognice people from a distance here =) ) and all the background information, and the fact that the world feels dynamic.

Theres a couple of things to remember though...

1) I my self has real fun role playing in AO. I would say this is since Im used to act. I am perfectly happy if i have a couple of intresting characters to act against. (and belive you me, theres a whole bunch of intresting characters out there ) If you are into the Hack n slash RP(ie kill the dragon, save ther chich and get the treasure and save the world) this might not be the game for you. So as Kirrana said, its very much up to you, what you decide to do with the tools Funcom has given you.

2) While i got the feweling theres more RP:ers in AO then in any other game, theres still more PvP fellows out there, that cant stay in character through a whole discusion. But theres acctually so many RP:ers around that you occasionally can meet a fellow on the street and have an intresting discusion with him....

Well, really, the post above says it all, so i reccomend you to read it again, rather then I continue to rambling on.

Main thing is, that you (as in real RPG ) will have as fun as you make for youre self. AO has give us the possibility to have fun...it is up to us to use the tools, or ignore them.

And the difference to real RPG is that you dont have this "personal GM" that takes care of only you, hence, the story cant all be in you. You will not be the star of the world, and as far as i heard, thats the part that makes most unhappy players unhappy..
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek

Originally posted by Kirrana
    People used to roleplay with just a few rules, pen, paper and a set of dice.
    Some still do = P

This is my first non-paper RPG, so I may not be able to compare it to other games you're familiar with. I'm experienced as both a player and GM and I have to say that overall I'm very impressed with the AO RP experience. I'm a little disappointed that the RP element doesn't come to you, but I guess that's to be expected. Your "average player on the street" will default to OOC because that's what people seem to expect from this genre of game, but typically if you stay in character with them, they will make some effort to RP. The biggest thing I've noticed is that the game does not really segment RPers from non-RPers. The active conflict in the game and the tight integration of PvP with the story constantly forces interaction between people playing to RP and people playing for competition. It's very interesting to see the results. Aberic's assassination of Radiman is a good example. It presents a real challenge to RPers for them to stay true to their character and interpret everything as IC, while it challenges the PvPers to defend themselves IC or suffer the RP results.

Overall, I do not feel that AO is yet an emersive RP environment, but I think it certainly has the potential to become one. And most importantly, it seems to truly challenge players to develop themselves.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

OOC:

This is one of the first MMORPGs where the story has a "real" GM so to speak. The other RPG's GMs are just bug fixers and event runners. Here PC created alliances are actually having an impact on the story.

The setting and story is all of the fun to me, as I am sure it is to lots of other true Role Players out there. It's a rich experience and I am glad that I get to play with such a great group of actors and role players.

It's all of what you make of it - if you're in it just for the gold - go play AO on the Moon or something like that.

--Mege

OOC

The Anarchy Online experience is only what you make of it. There are many RP'ers, and many many topics that you can RP about in the different places mentioned previously in this thread. YOU have to take the initiative sometimes, and that's what some people have had a hard time doing.

One of the main points of your original post is that you want individuality, and I honestly don't think AO is going to be exactly what you'll be looking for in that respect. The individual is definately NOT the focus, however the group is. There can be individual conflicts within said group, but it doesn't affect the GM's telling of the story. In fact, the main people that it seems the GM's deal with DIRECTLY are the faction leaders. The faction leaders then have the responsibility of including everyone else in the situation. So, you may be looking more to getting into a very good RP faction to help your individual style tastes - you can help RP the story of your faction with the individual flair you are seeking, and then that can result in the more major story arc going on.

Deep down, you'll spend time doing both hunting and RP'ing. There are times when there just aren't anybody in Baboon's, so I go on a few missions and solo. Then, I look around again to see if there's anything going on. But, if you find a group of people these days, chances are they are roleplaying about how much they hate or love the current amnesty. It's very nice, as a roleplayer.

So, now that I'm done rambling, AO has the roleplaying numbers you desire, however you truly seek individuality, so look into getting into a good RP faction for that. (Link enclosed at bottom of signature, fear the shameless plug!) There's room for individuality, but not by the GM's, but with the other players.
    Byron "Shorthack" Bannister
    Director of Public Relations
    Titan Mining, LLC

yet another sidenote (wink)

lotsa RPing, especially if you know where to go... its especially good on the political side imho tho. You almost never fail to get a good reaction by making a political statement. Its like magic

OOC:

Like stated above, if your looking for a kill-50-monsters-at-once-RPG-to-become-the-most-powerful-person-in-the-gaming-world-to-make-yourself-feel-special (can anyone say diablo 2 or Everquest, or Ultima...?), than I would not turn to AO. It also isnt as simple as pen and paper RP's (were would we be without those?), as you probably wont be a gigantic influence on the game. The story FC has provided is a bit unstable and akward, but I have found a way to incorperate every mistake FC makes (as well as the good moves) into an RP aspect.

If you are willing to flex your mind a bit, and not succumb to flaming everything that makes you think a bit, AO can be very enjoyable. It is sometimes difficult, but if you rty hard, it works for the most part. Despite common predictions, I think FC will also improve the game over time. I think in about 6 months, AO will have reached a very stable balance of GM influence and game integrity with demand of creative thinking and individual RPing.

Of course, one can never beat good old fashion pen and paper RP... truly amazing, those are, I say
    The whole conflict is laughable, it really is. Very few people get the joke, and even fewer laugh at it.

-Member of the IR

OOC >Roleplay for me is one of the only things that keep me in this game. I have met ALOT of great roleplayers in this game and if that is what you want, I think you will find it here. You will find us, just look

OOC:

Originally posted by Shorthack
    OOC
    The individual is definately NOT the focus, however the group is. There can be individual conflicts within said group, but it doesn't affect the GM's telling of the story. In fact, the main people that it seems the GM's deal with DIRECTLY are the faction leaders. The faction leaders then have the responsibility of including everyone else in the situation. So, you may be looking more to getting into a very good RP faction to help your individual style tastes - you can help RP the story of your faction with the individual flair you are seeking, and then that can result in the more major story arc going on.
    I just wanna say its quite possible for individuals to be in the middle of actions. Being in a faction this autumn, i played at hours most of the other players wasnt, among or leader. Still i was able to be in the middle where thing happened and i had the feeling i knew about things/events before many faction leaders. This i managed after some hours of very entertaining roleplaying. My best memories from RK is the ones where roleplaying have been involved. After this i spend more time to establish the trade and service organization 24-7 on RK. Running or starting up a business isnt easy these days. If it only had been the OT beurocrats we had to deal with...

Smile 3 days in and I'm loving it!

OOC:

I've played many RPGs, both online and in Real Life(tm). I beta tested Ultima Online and left when I realized that it would never
    live up to my expectations. I want a world where players can make a difference, where roleplaying is respected, and expected.

I'm only 3 days in, and level 7, but already I am impressed with AO, both the players and the game itself. The players are great, passionate, not afraid to discuss, argue, flame, whatever is necessary. I've been trying to stir things up in the "In-Character" and "Story" boards a little for that reason. I feel good about the
    player base, in general.

The game itself is great, lots of choices everywhere you turn ... great scenery, lots to see and do ... and it appears that Funcom is really serious about player interactivity with their storyline. (Something many other MMORPGs have promised and never delivered.) That alone is awesome, as well as difficult to pull off. Someone will always be unhappy with how they handle it, but oh well.

All in all, I can't wait to get out of work and go play some more!
    See you all in Rubi-Ka!

- Sllaagor
    Clan Atrox Enforcer