Thread: OOC rant

OOC rant

Who's behind those two articles in Editor news ( OTPC, FJRK)?

Apperantly I'm not only one disturbed by quality of them. Should the OTPC be created as propaganda, still not knowing who CEO is and what position Zora holds, is disgrace. As for FJRK response.... I have a feeling writer is Omni and respond in a manner that OTPC should appear the lesser blunder of both. To resort to name calling, disorting facts or just making them up is not a standard we're used to. Quote :"As for the events all those years ago, is it true that the accidents in the mines did not cause any loss of life, but that is also the only thing that is true in her report." shows that one writing report didn't even read Rubi-Ka Time line, or that he or she wrote this on purpose.

With recent calls to watch what are we posting about storyline, I should expect same will apply to Editor news. I know some of the reporters there (who actually sign their reports) have problems geting their articles published, since some rules....
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

OOC: In response

Who's behind those two articles in Editor news
    A member of my team wrote the articles and I made the call to post them

Apperantly I'm not only one disturbed by quality of them. Should the OTPC be created as propaganda, still not knowing who CEO is and what position Zora holds, is disgrace. As for FJRK response.... I have a feeling writer is Omni and respond in a manner that OTPC should appear the lesser blunder of both. To resort to name calling, disorting facts or just making them up is not a standard we're used to.
    I am not sure what kind of newspaper articles there are all over the world, but in my corner of the globe it is called "mud slinging" and is very common in news papers. Basically it works like this:

Reporters are given a soapbox to rant about whatever they wish to rant about. Commonly these are posted as editorials. Shortly after the newspaper hits, people respond in agreement or in anger and someone else writes a editorial response to the original article.

This has in fact become so common in today's media age, that there are discussion shows on CNN and other news media networks dedicated to just that. Esspecially when dragging things up from the past. It was an anniversary to a specific timeline event, and an ideal starting point for some Omni propaganda and mud slinging. And the call was mine to post it.

As for the events all those years ago, is it true that the accidents in the mines did not cause any loss of life, but that is also the only thing that is true in her report." shows that one writing report didn't even read Rubi-Ka Time line, or that he or she wrote this on purpose.
    You may want to double check the timeline yourself for where the date and article stems from. This particular article is several years after the collapse of the mine that trapped the Atrox workers. It is the first timeline entry for the year 29199, and no mention of any loss of life is involved in the "series of terrible accidents".

With recent calls to watch what are we posting about storyline, I should expect same will apply to Editor news.
    Except of course the difference between my team and the playerbase is we work with Funcom on the storyline. And in general these articles are nothing more than opinionated editorials in a mudslinging game...much like what happens every day in the media around the world. The post regarding the use of storyline names and liberties is somewhat seperate.

I know some of the reporters there (who actually sign their reports) have problems geting their articles published, since some rules....
    This part of your post I don't understand. The way our reporters go about creating, submitting and getting approval for articles isn't something we have shared publicly, so I can only assume you mean player written articles...which if I am right here, you have the Atlantian Buzz to post anything in character.

Your feedback is always welcome, but this is a in character forum, so as always I suggest emailing our events feedback with any concerns or questions you may have. You can find that link in my signature

Cheers

Social
    Former Director
    ARK-Events Team
    Advisor of Rubi-ka

Please send your feedback to events-feedback@ark.anarchy-online.com

The Starters Guide to the storyline

Thank you Anarchy-Online players for making my time as an ARK-Events Team member, a memory I will cherish.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialfly
    A member of my team wrote the articles and I made the call to post them
    Basicly I can't reply to this, without it apearing personal.

I am not sure what kind of newspaper articles there are all over the world, but in my corner of the globe it is called "mud slinging" and is very common in news papers. Basically it works like this:

Reporters are given a soapbox to rant about whatever they wish to rant about. Commonly these are posted as editorials. Shortly after the newspaper hits, people respond in agreement or in anger and someone else writes a editorial response to the original article.

This has in fact become so common in today's media age, that there are discussion shows on CNN and other news media networks dedicated to just that. Esspecially when dragging things up from the past. It was an anniversary to a specific timeline event, and an ideal starting point for some Omni propaganda and mud slinging. And the call was mine to post it.
    There are such newspapers all over the globe. the thing is that this is altogether different globe and basicly audience has no say. Timeline is or should be neutral view and agreed to by all sides, includings salaries, working conditions, etc... Alternative is that playerbases can go on making their own storyline, but in that case FC will be unable to integrate that in expansions and similar.

You may want to double check the timeline yourself for where the date and article stems from. This particular article is several years after the collapse of the mine that trapped the Atrox workers. It is the first timeline entry for the year 29199, and no mention of any loss of life is involved in the "series of terrible accidents".
    Quote Originally Posted by timeline
    November 07 29201 , Dissatisfied with Omni-Tek management and broken promises, workers instigate massive uprisings across Rubi-Ka. OT answers the demonstrations with firepower. Eighteen OT guards and more than three hundred workers are killed.
    Except of course the difference between my team and the playerbase is we work with Funcom on the storyline. And in general these articles are nothing more than opinionated editorials in a mudslinging game...much like what happens every day in the media around the world. The post regarding the use of storyline names and liberties is somewhat seperate.
    Calling Ross dead for n-th time is optional?

Quote Originally Posted by socialfly
    This part of your post I don't understand. The way our reporters go about creating, submitting and getting approval for articles isn't something we have shared publicly, so I can only assume you mean player written articles...which if I am right here, you have the Atlantian Buzz to post anything in character.
    Some topics are off-topic for your reporters. Not that they wouldn't like to report it, but such topics don't get aproval. Futhermore they are willing to stand behind those reports with their name. That's what I meant.

Your feedback is always welcome, but this is a in character forum, so as always I suggest emailing our events feedback with any concerns or questions you may have. You can find that link in my signature

Cheers

Social
    I had interetsing chat with someone from ARK department on 4th aniversary party. Somewhere during our conversation he suggested emails too, and went on to say how everyone likes to read them. After I comented they aren't that keen to reply tho, all I got was smile. feedback and concearns are all nice and good, but they serve no use if they are just stored somewhere or deleted.

Cheers

Trgeorge
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

There are such newspapers all over the globe. the thing is that this is altogether different globe and basicly audience has no say. Timeline is or should be neutral view and agreed to by all sides, includings salaries, working conditions, etc... Alternative is that playerbases can go on making their own storyline, but in that case FC will be unable to integrate that in expansions and similar.
    Yes, this is a different time and a different world altogether, But people would still have opinions and as there is a media in this time and world, people, sides, companies etc would certainly use the media to express opinions, push propaganda, and make press releases, as they do now, and as Anarchy-Online has done since its release.

The Timeline itself is a fabulous tool for adding history to the planet rubi-ka, and as such it is not a clan timeline or a omni timeline, it is a Rubi-ka timeline. Thus it is available to all citizens to research, learn from and use. I have no issues with players having thier own storyline, and we have always made major efforts to let players be involved, and influence the outcome of storylines.

This can be seen in the steps forward we have made with Council of Truth, Omni meetings, the interactive aftermath of the Ross shooting, and much much more to come.

We ensure that the timeline is followed when using it, and in this case it was. The entry made reference to was not the entire trimeline, it was one entry that was chosen perhaps due to a slow news day? Or perhaps as ordered by someone else in the company? You seem to be looking at these articles as something that was designed as a personal comment against you as a player, but I can honestly say that is not the case.

However I feel this is getting a bit off topic. As I said, the articles are designed as a form of article that is opinionated, and designed to get a reaction out of the other side. People are not always going to like what is said or published or done in the world, and nor should they. There is a conflict, and there are media sources to fuel the conflict, and some journalists will in fact exploit that. This is not a different time different place issue, this is just plain common sense. The conflict is alive and well, and sometimes in order to get a reaction, the media will be used.

We are dealing with corporations, leases, Clans, and a look at history is not making a timeline biased, it is someone taking that piece of history and having a biased opinion on it. The forums are open for people to agree and disagree with them as they wish.

Calling Ross dead for n-th time is optional?
    Please point out where we said Ross was dead? We have made reference to the new CEO...which is true, there is a new CEO in Ross' absence, and he will remain CEO until Omni-Prime make the decision for him not to be, or Ross recovers. But I do not recall one place where we said Ross was dead. if somewhere it says that, it is a oversight on my part when checking them over, and should be fixed.

Some topics are off-topic for your reporters. Not that they wouldn't like to report it, but such topics don't get aproval. Futhermore they are willing to stand behind those reports with their name. That's what I meant.
    I am not sure where you get this information from, as I said before, we do not make public our proceedure for approval of articles within our events team. Some articles are written by people at Funcom, some by us. But they all go through a proceedure before posting. That information however is internal and bound by NDA, so I am not going to discuss it here.

I had interetsing chat with someone from ARK department on 4th aniversary party. Somewhere during our conversation he suggested emails too, and went on to say how everyone likes to read them. After I comented they aren't that keen to reply tho, all I got was smile. feedback and concearns are all nice and good, but they serve no use if they are just stored somewhere or deleted.
    Others can tell you that I have replied to events feedback, and I do read every mail that comes through that email address. Sometimes the response time can be slow as some answers have to be researched and approved before responding, but it all does get read.

We on events do a lot to try and gather feedback. We read our email, we check the forums, we observe the role play channels in game, we hold player feedback meetings, and we always do this with the intention to be better at what we do. It's not just for show, and it is not just thrown away.

As I said previously, the events feedback email is there for a reason and feel free to use it. I can not speak for the ark you spoke with at the party as it wasn't me. I can only speak for myself and my team.

I am not going to appologise for the articles, nor am I going to pull them. As I stated before, they are opinions of two seperate citizens of Rubi-ka, who happen to be journalists. And just as they can post thier opinions, you can respond and agree or disagree. Not every article posted is going to make everyone happy, just as not every change that is made to the game will make everyone happy. In fact it is quite possible in some cases, that things are posted specifically to generate a reaction.

Cheers

Social
    Former Director
    ARK-Events Team
    Advisor of Rubi-ka

The Starters Guide to the storyline

Thank you Anarchy-Online players for making my time as an ARK-Events Team member, a memory I will cherish.

Closed thread.

Guardian Fraoch
    Bug Hunters Department

Advisors Of Rubi-ka

Forums Social Guidelines