Thread: OTPC: And then there were three...

OTPC: And then there were three...

And Then There Were Three
    Aug 2 29479
    A Editorial response by Alice Doroshal

OTPC - Recently there was an article written by an associate of mine, Chilia Moran, which took a look at a moment in the history of Rubi-ka, and examining it from her perspective. It wasn’t a press release, or a hard pressing news article. It was a Editorial.

In response a Clan journalist calling himself Malogar, made a very emotional response, pointing out a different perspective on that date in our history and its events…as well as moving to some name calling, which I suppose I can respect when someone challenges your world.

In response both Clan and Omni citizens took to the gridfeed and expressed their feelings about both of these articles. It seems as though quite a few emotions made their way to the surface.

"…and I thought it couldn't get any worse..... ", stated Trgeorge, a Clan advisor of Cerberus.

"Ms. Moran was expressing her "opinions" as is normal in an editorial. While some in the company may share her thoughts, not all of us do. Don't consider that one or two editorial remarks are an excuse to escalate violence." Added Amosco, an Omni-Tek employee with Disciples of Omni-Tek, both defending and disagreeing with the article.

" ….don’t for one second imagine every employee of Omni-Tek shares miss Moran's misguided views" Said Neista, another Omni Employee in response to the Clan’s response. Neista was also vocal in Ms Morans article thread saying "Chilia Moran whoever you are, you are an disgrace to OTPC, Omni-Tek and your profession. Leaving aside the glaring inaccuracies in your article and the shameless distortion of events you pick a politically sensitive time like now to peddle your hatred!"

Obviously the response from both sides speaks volumes to the current state of affairs on Rubi-ka….uncertainty, paranoia, defensiveness. But what is curious to this reporter, is that the original article may have been more accurate than many of the responses claimed.

Yes yes, I am about to get yelled at by the historical nuts of our time for that last comment, but if we take a step back from the events that began over 87 years prior to the subject of Miss Morans article; where Atrox miners ended up trapped in a collapsed mine, and someone who at the time was a spokesperson for Omni-Tek said "They're only Atroxes"; or if we put aside the deadly accidents that led up to the agreement Omni-tek made with the Labour guild in 29191…..

Yes if you can move your mind set away from those events, and look at what the article is actually about, something that happened 8 years after the signing of the Labour Guild agreement, then you might find yourself looking at things a bit differently…..even for Malogars response.

And some say there is no place for personal opinion in the media, or that we shouldn’t drudge up the past as Miss Moran has, but I am willing to bet these same people are more than happy to post publicly their personal opinions, and bring up whatever data from the past they find to back their point.

I don’t know how to break this to you folks, but regardless of how neutral you think the news system of Rubi-ka should be, there will always be opinions showing themselves in Editorials we journalists take the time to write. Of course OTPC is going to be Omni biased...it is a Omni news wire...and of course FJRK is going to be clan biased...it is Clan operated......even the beloved TAG reporters, as neutral as they are, don’t trust either Clan or Omni, and thus their opinion is, everyone has something to hide….but then again, that is my opinion…perhaps I shouldn’t share it.

But then why bother even discussing such issues? Are we really this far behind our development, on a planet with hardly any concern for death, and rich in resources, that we can’t disagree or discuss or challenge history and how it shaped our world?

It is fair to say as an Omni-Tek employee, when you are told the equipment was state of the art you believe it is. It is also fair to say when as a Clan you are told the equipment at the time was out of date, you believe it was. But truthfully, we don’t know for sure, because the history books don’t actually tell us. They hint at it, but the facts are left out of the entries.

The history books encourage it in a way….so little information is recorded officially in each public entry to the history books, we sometimes have to fill the blanks. In fact I recall reading some posts on the grid feed about how someone believed a conspiracy was hidden within the history books involving the ICC. Personally I think that is rubbish, as do many of you, and has no place on this feed. But that is just one persons opinion…just like Miss Moran is just one person, as is Malogar…as am I.

What is my point? That we can complain all we want about what we read in the news, and we can think that the past is the past and should be left there, but some feel the past can show us about who we are today, and unless we challenge the things we are taught, then we are just leets being led by the Mitaar player. And the best part of all this is, you are just as free to make your opinions known in response.

What an amazing time and place we live!

Do I agree with Miss Moran? Somewhat yes. Do I agree with Malogar? Somewhat yes. Both are obviously emotional about these subjects. My personal opinion? Omni-Tek just like any corporation has made mistakes, and so have the clans…but for a group in the north who time and time again bring up the past mistakes of Omni-Tek as a reason to have such hatred for Omni-Tek, they should expect that Omni-Tek is going to challenge those things the same way the clans continue to challenge us on them.

Again, that is my opinion.

Alice Doroshal
    Last edited by Socialfly; Aug 2nd, 2005 at 01:14:10.

The events on the time line are just that, events, factual things that took place. The timeline itself says the ICC investigated it, and the conditions and equipment were not safe. Thats not a word from the Clans or Omni-Tek, its an outside objective party. Neither of these two reporters were writing based on factual information. I will continue to ignore these rediculous publications until their Editors can give them some semblance of factual based reporting. With this planet in such turmoil now is NOT the time for such inflamatory editorials, and you'd think their respective news agencies would've considered that before allowing these Editorials to be made public.

Good luck with your Flushed and Swirling careers, the two of you.
    Last edited by Fixerben; Aug 2nd, 2005 at 02:29:31.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Quote Originally Posted by Editor: OTPC
    Obviously the response from both sides speaks volumes to the current state of affairs on Rubi-ka….uncertainty, paranoia, defensiveness.
    Yeah, a few hundred years of civil war, not to mention the blockade/invasion by aliens tend to do that to a world - or so history tells us. It's a real shame, too, since it prevents people from actually enjoying a lot of what ought to be a basic human(oid) right, such as raising a family in peace or living out their life.
    Such is our world, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor: OTPC
    I don’t know how to break this to you folks, but regardless of how neutral you think the news system of Rubi-ka should be, there will always be opinions showing themselves in Editorials we journalists take the time to write. Of course OTPC is going to be Omni biased...it is a Omni news wire...and of course FJRK is going to be clan biased...it is Clan operated......even the beloved TAG reporters, as neutral as they are, don’t trust either Clan or Omni, and thus their opinion is, everyone has something to hide….but then again, that is my opinion…perhaps I shouldn’t share it.
    I don't mind reporters having political opinions - or any other kind of opinions, for that matter. What I really mind is that more often than not I see articles displaying these opinons presented as unbiased - and unfortunately accepted as such by the readres, as indicated by ensuing debates.
    Now, given that the three newsfeeds are run by the three sides to this conflict I guess it's less than surprising that they're used for propaganda - and yes, they are, all of them, continuously - but I find it somewhat disturbing that the population of Rubi-Ka take at face value whatever is presented in their newsfeed (and often in at least one of the others) without using their common sense.
    Then again, it has always been like this, according to the history books, and apparantly even artificially enhancing our brains cannon prevent us from following this ageold habit.
    Which also, to me, speaks volumes about the possibilities for peace in this world of ours..
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

Go yell at your own reporters why dont ya Ben.

This editorial was actually good.
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

Fixerben, you are refering to events nearly 100 years before the times listed by Miss Maron.

Jokzer, they present them as Unbiased because they would like to believe that they are. However, no one can ever be fully unbiased, it is an impossability.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfeather
    Jokzer, they present them as Unbiased because they would like to believe that they are. However, no one can ever be fully unbiased, it is an impossability.
    Yeah, I know. What I'm trying to say is that people should remember this and apply that knowledge to both articles and editorials - while at the same time cutting editorials a little more slack, as they're supposed to present an opinion.
    I don't condone direct provocation in the press, by reporters or others, as there's enough flakey reasons for people to cause bloodshed as it is but I strongly believe that people are allowed to have their own opinions.

It's another thing that people tend to conveniently forget: with rights come responsibilities and with the right to free speech comes the responsibility to not cause harm through exercising that right..

I'm sorry but I've been working a lot lately trying to rescue a kidnap victim and I'm too tired to express myself as coherently as I'd like.
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

-nods slightly-

I agree with you there and I am having a similer problem that you are currently having, only with crazed bombers and psycos with perma death weapons.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Good luck, Ghostfeather.
    (As if luck has anything to do with it )
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

I take your points on board Ms Doroshal,you make some very valid ones.

I still hold to the view that this article was unnessacarily inflammatory and came at a very bad time but i think some good has come from it even if only to show to rubi-ka in general that contrary to many peoples beliefs Omni-tek employees are not mindless sheep and have very strong opinions of their own, which are not always in accord with one another.

Opinion is opinion, but seriously, a slightly less agressive, combative tone would have made the article far more palatable.
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Well, as much as I like to believe it was intentionally inflammatory, I also believe that no matter what you write (or do), someone will hate it. ((See: patch note forums))

Take it for the propaganda it was and move on. Inflammatory or not, i'm moving ahead to where I think I need to be and that article didn't get more than a passing glance anyway.