Thread: First Order vs FTL - Round One

First Order vs FTL - Round One

Meanwhile at First Order’s offices in 4 Holes, a few representatives from the Free Trade League are invited over for a sensitive discussion, more because one of the FTLer’s Eeod happens to be the brother of First Order’s director, Edliner.

(log editing for spelling)

Dabblez: One chair?
    Dabblez: Cutbacks?
    Edliner: I wish we had budget for more furniture
    Edliner: Our R&D has taken eaten a lot
    Dabblez: Well Eeod of course you know. This here is Senobyte, you probably met at the Omni Board of Director meetings
    Senobyte: nods at Edliner
    Edliner: yes
    Dabblez: And Dr Waggery you probably also know. She is representing Devil Advocate who also are part of the FTL movement
    Edliner: and you have brought a lawyer
    Edliner: Welcome Lady Callantha
    Dabblez: Hello
    Callantha: Good evening boss
    Edliner: Lady Surfs is my assistant in administrative matters
    Dabblez: Pleased to meet you
    Waggery: I think I've met all of you.
    Edliner: Lady Callantha is our event manager
    Waggery: Nice to see you all here.
    Surfs: Hello al, nice to meet you
    Dabblez: Of course I know Callantha from The Bench
    Callantha: Likewise, I'm looking forward to the talk
    Eeod: looks nervous
    Senobyte: glances su****iously at the giant floating rollerrat
    Edliner: I invited Eeod to talk about the FTL because I am worried
    Waggery: They say it's filled with helium and notum
    Dabblez: He does not like rollerrats
    Dabblez: deep-seated fear
    Dabblez: I am sure we can lay to rest any worry you have
    Edliner: can you explain to me what the FTL wants?
    Surfs: offers everyone some coffee. Let's keep the mind fresh
    Waggery: Thank you, Surfs!
    Edliner: thank you surfs
    Senobyte: thanks surfs!
    Eeod: hmm coffee
    Waggery: spikes her coffee with a small stim from her pocket
    Senobyte: I'll answer that one.
    Senobyte: The FTL basically wants the trade restrictions placed on neutrals in certain OT shops lifted.
    Edliner: can you explain to me why you want that?
    Senobyte: It seems unfair that we can go into any one of their stores and buy goods, yet they can't do the same in ours.
    Edliner: You are aware that our shops sell at a discount for Omni personnel?
    Senobyte: Yes, that doesn't mean the same has to apply to Neutral customers were the situation to change though.
    Senobyte: After all we are ultimately a business, and cutting off a portion of the population that could be spending credits with us makes no business sense.
    Edliner: May I explain the sense in that?
    Senobyte: please do.
    Surfs: burns her lip on the hot coffee
    Waggery: sips her "coffee"
    Edliner: In reform academy we learned about the different motivations that people can have: curiosity, greed, lust, to name a few.
    Surfs: nods
    Edliner: Omn-Tek uses those motivations to keep her employees and to attract new ones
    Edliner: one of the means to do that is shop availability
    Edliner: you are proposing to give that advantage of being Omni employee away
    Eeod: ehmm
    Surfs: would like to add something to that
    Edliner: even though the strategy has worked on all planets we work on.
    Edliner: Surfs?
    Surfs: I would like to point out another matter
    Surfs: There are several Omni-Tek weapons. They can be VERY dangerous in the wrong hands. Think about the Omni-Tek Kerans weapon for example
    Surfs: These are specific weapons and we wouldn't want those to land into the wrong hands!
    Edliner: yes.
    Eeod: raises his hand
    Edliner: yes, brother?
    Eeod: you said something about discount. We could still give OT personnel discounts
    Edliner: our shops would have to be completely reprogrammed to do that
    Dabblez: I would like to address Surfs point
    Edliner: yes
    Edliner: please do
    Dabblez: It may be that a few years ago Omni shops held weapons which could be seen as dangerous to allow other factions access to
    Dabblez: But the recent deregulation of Omni departmental shops makes a mockery of that
    Dabblez: I am sure First Order’s own shop has many powerful guns for sale
    Dabblez: And there is nothing to prevent Neutral from shopping there
    Dabblez: That is inconsistent
    Edliner: I agree with that point, maybe we should apply the same rules to privately owned shops
    Surfs: nods
    Waggery: But that'd be bad for business!
    Dabblez: Or maybe its time to move forward
    Dabblez: Like Doctor Waggery says, we are a business
    Edliner: I still am not convinced that giving away a good thing of being Omni is tactically sound
    Dabblez: First and foremost Omni-Tek is about making and selling things
    Dabblez: Fair wages keep employees happy, not mind games!
    Edliner: there are things more important than profit lady Dabblez
    Dabblez: Not for a business.
    Edliner: Continuity for one thing, we want to be here for a long time
    Surfs: Let's not forget the chance of Neutrals reselling Omni-Tek equipment to the Clans
    Surfs: Would profit be worth seeing a Clanner walk in Omni-Armed Forces Armor some day???!
    Edliner: I would think RUR would understand the importance of continuity over profit
    Senobyte: A clanner in that armour would be impossible.
    Senobyte: It has tech built in to prevent anyone that isn't Omni wearing it.
    Surfs: It was merely an example
    Dabblez: Good profits, a solid business plan...that is the way forward. Turning away customers.. not a good business plan.
    Dabblez: Anyone can see that
    Eeod: I see it
    Edliner: ah, but the planet is, excluding the notum profits, and our gains from the aliens, a closed economy
    Edliner: we get their money anyway
    Eeod: or the clans
    Edliner: yes, their money too, if it is not transferred illegally off planet
    Senobyte: Ok, how about looking at the situation like this...
    Edliner: listens
    Senobyte: Neutral and Clan relations are at an all time low at the moment. By pushing for the dropping of trade restrictions Omni can prove it's the "bigger man".
    Edliner: there is a quicker way of doing that, by buying in neutral shops. No need for change of policy there
    Waggery: Us buying in neutral shops?
    Edliner: yes, if you feel so generous towards neutrals, why not?
    Waggery: But there is no bonus buying from there!
    Waggery: Or selling
    Surfs: Please excuse me, I have some urgent business to take care off. Will be right back
    Dabblez: Exactly. We want to be generous to Omni shopkeepers and smaller businesses
    Waggery: sips her cold, spiked black drink
    Dabblez: It is a rare thing when doing the right thing is also the profitable thing
    Edliner: let's do that by recruiting more omni personnel and not by squandering the rights of Omni-Tek
    Dabblez: We are not touching the rights of Omni employees
    Dabblez: We just saying that if the Neutral give us full access to their shops, we should return the courtesy
    Edliner: you are devaluating them by giving them to a larger group of people
    Dabblez: That is fair
    Dabblez: You don’t have hold Omni employees in high esteem, do you?
    Edliner: Omni employees are the ultimate
    Edliner: we should improve the world by getting more of them
    Dabblez: You would recruit people who changed sides just to get access to Miir?
    Edliner: smiles
    Edliner: I wish people were that easily convinced
    Edliner: Convincing people to change sides is hard work
    Edliner: Your proposal makes it even harder
    Callantha: I would like to add a comment
    Dabblez: If Omni needs more people, I am sure it can always hire more. In the mean time small Omni shops and business lose out, we look petty in how we deal with the Neutral community
    Edliner: Hiring more personnel is hard in a competitive market
    Edliner: lets keep that competitive edge
    Edliner: the Neutral community is free to join Omni-Tek at any time
    Dabblez: waits for Callantha's comment
    Edliner: yes Callantha?
    Callantha: The idea we in Omni-Reform will follow is the same as the ancient Romans on Old Earth. Like them we believe in treating the ene... ehm, possible employees with some courtesy. And Omni_Tek already provides this courtesy by allowing Neutrals to travel in our cities. And these visitors will see the benefits of a citizen of Omni-Tek, and they will know that these luxuries are out of reach unless you leave the northern deserts behind. Yes it may sound a bit unfair for the average Jane and Joe shopkeepers, but what they have to understand is that there is a reason to why they are not allowed to sell goods directly to anyone else but loyal Omni-Tek citizens. It is all part of the long-term strategy.
    Senobyte: wonders where they put the hose to inflate the rollerrat
    Dabblez: But we do sell good directly to Neutral. Implants, tradeskills, map.. all sorts of things. First Order's shop, Omni-Pol’s shop, any departmental shop will sell anything o Neutrals
    Edliner: As I said before, good point, we should do something about that
    Dabblez: Its only a few vendors which are subject to this obsolete law
    Dabblez: Prove you are serious; close your shop in protest!
    Waggery: stares at Dabz in shock
    Dabblez: But if you say First Order can sell to Neutral but Miir can't, that is double standards
    Edliner: We will follow the Omni directives in this regard, but we will work on closing them all
    Dabblez: shakes her head
    Edliner: to make an end to the double standards
    Senobyte: And how will Reform cope with the extra workload that will entail?
    Edliner: can you explain that to me?
    Senobyte: You prevent the smaller shops in organisations from selling to the neutrals, they lose a source of income, they become disgruntled unhappy employees, some may even consider leaving omni, this increases the workload for Reform as you are forced to "re-educate" a large number of employees.
    Dabblez: Now there's a point!
    Callantha: grinds her teeth
    Surfs: offers some chewing gum to Calla
    Edliner: You are right, there should be some compensation for that loss
    Surfs: raises hand
    Edliner: yes surfs?
    Eeod's pet, FTL rocks: here we go here we go here we go!
    Surfs: Sir. I just want to state that most Omni-Tek employees do not need or want personal profit over the greater good
    Edliner: nods
    Surfs: I see no real issue here
    Waggery: Good grief! There are those of us who are legitimate business-owners, with responsibilities!
    Edliner: not all employees are as loyal in thought as you are Surfs
    Waggery: Such as making a profit
    Surfs: Thank you Sir Edliner
    Edliner: to wrap this up: I see we will not agree on this issue
    Edliner: brother Eeod I ask you not to be on the forefront of this movement.
    Senobyte: May I make one final point?
    Edliner: If Omni-Prime finds it contra-productive in the long run there may be consequences we cannot oversee at this moment.
    Edliner: yes Seno?
    Senobyte: So you're saying that by offering aid, as it were, to the neutrals we are being Anti-Omni?
    Surfs: chuckles
    Edliner: I am not saying that. I am saying that Omni Prime might view it like that
    Edliner: I am convinced your motives are pure pro omni
    Edliner: but the road to hell is paved with good intentions
    Senobyte: Well it's just that you're sat under that big ol' picture of Boss Ross.
    Edliner: looks up
    Senobyte: and i can't help remembering that he helped out the Neutrals in the past.
    Edliner: yes, we haven’t received a new picture yet
    Dabblez: Yeah, he cost RUR a big fat contract with Newland City but offering his own money to pay the new guards
    Dabblez: you know, the Militia that replaced the Mercs
    Dabblez: Not that I am bitter
    Edliner: Brother Eeod can I count on you to make the right decision?
    Dabblez: The point being Ross policies were always Neutral-friendly
    Eeod: I think I’ll stick with the FTL brother, even if it means you’ll withhold my allowance
    Dabblez: You could think of FTL as a tribute to the great man
    Edliner: I would not go that far my brother, but remember I warned you
    Edliner: To quote a big man Plautus:
    Eeod: oh, ill remember
    Edliner: What has been said was enough for any sensible person.
    Eeod: To quote the grate singer Lee Towers...
    Eeod: I can see clearly now the rain has gone
    Edliner: nods
    Eeod's pet, FTL rocks: i can see all obstacles in my way!
    Dabblez: rocks gently to the tune
    Edliner: I thank you all, and I'm sorry I have failed to convince you. I fell like I have failed you all.
    Dabblez: Likewise
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Can anyone truly believe that the removal of these trade restrictions would change anything?

Here mr. neutral you can use my trade terminal now, that way i can make even more profit off of you, while we continue to ship the notum off planet until there is nothing left here to profit from. Then with the nanomage race exterminated from NDS, the Clans crushed economically into submission, and therefore no reason to create more atrox slaves to power our war machine, we'll move on to the next world to plunder.

Gee thanks Mr. Omni, I'll take a med suit please.

Sorry, i'll make due without the Omni products not available to me and mine. I'll make that tiny sacrifice in the hopes of someday seeing a world without onmi, with the notum field intact, and young nanomage children playing in the streets.
    As we continue to break the bonds of slavery, our numbers will continue to grow. NLF, Till All Are Free.

As far as I can see, there are 3 reasons why some Omni-Tek employees object to the Free Trade idea:

1. Why give Neutrals the benefits of being an OT employee without having to do anything in return?

As has been said before, Neutral shops welcome all citizens, regardless of faction. The Borealis shops are some of the most visited on RK, numerous OT employees and Clan members buy their supplies in Neutral shops, day in, day out.
    Those who say that nothing is done in return, are blind to reality. Which OT employee or Clan member never had a drink in the peaceful surroundings of Reets Retreat? Why is the beautiful setting of the Newland Bronto Burger such an attraction to factioned people? They do, because people know they are welcome there, without the risk of being bullied around by some factioned guards.
    All citizens are welcome in Neutral towns and shops. To return the hospitality is a mere proof of civility. As far as that part is concerned, OT most certainly still has a lot to prove.

2. Why give Neutral citizens the same benefits as OT employees, especially since those benefits might attract new employees?

A true Neutral will not abandon his or her believes for the sake of easy access to goods. If that’s what they make you think, it’s about time that Omni Reform starts to reconsider its methods.
    Those people who let themselves be bribed with luxuries, well, you can have them. The first occasion they will most probably bite the hand that feeds them anyway.
    Nobody by the way is talking about the same benefits for OT employees and Neutrals. There are those who work for OT and there are those who don’t. Does that make the latter second-rate citizens? As all large companies do, OT employees get some benefits, like discounts at shops, armor, weapons, and not to forget your merit boards. Well, we do not need those. All we ask is access to some basic goods.

3. Why sell weapons and armor to Neutrals, which they could resell to the Clans or even use against OT employees?

Armor and weapons, even weapons like the OT Kerans Automatic Grinner and even much better qualities then those sold in OT shops, are widely available on the black market.
    As I have said in my speech at the first Free Trade League meeting, it is a choice between feeding the obscure elements in our society, or to favour the honest trader.
    On the other hand, some armor, like the Omni-Internops Armor, the Omni-Pol Trooper Armor, the Omni-Pol Elite armor etc. can not be used by anyone who is not affiliated with OT. In this case, there’s no danger of misuse at all.
    Let us also not forget we are not only talking about weapons and armor, but also about goods like high quality medical equipment and clothing. To deny a part of the population these goods is an infringement of basic rights. To say that people won’t be able to acquire goods, if they are denied access to the proper shops and traders, is the same as to support illegality and criminality. I somehow doubt that’s how OT wants to be seen.
    Marcos "Yarko" Orender
    co-Minister of Foreign Affairs, Newland City Council
    Advisor of The Independent Rubikans

Rubi-Ka's neutral news source: The Independent Rubikan http://www.ir-news.org/

I think some valid point were brought up....
    biggest one being that all new shop's in the "player"run city are somehow able to sell to to neutrals (some new bussness bylaw?)...

while older more established shops we have all grown to love get left behind(new bylaw didn;t apply to older bussnessis?)....

My shop...est this year can sell advanced weaponry to neutrals(if i so chose)..mirr est along time ago can't sell them nicer boots...whats wrong with this picture.....
    drgrimmy 220/30 solitus doc(The Noid)

(insert witty comment here)