Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arg has an idea for pvp - comments welcome

Post Arg has an idea for pvp - comments welcome

K, no ranting, flaming or clan/omni arguments... I'm going to put forth a couple ideas and if you guys like them, I'm going to push REALLY REALLY HARD to get them viewed by the DEV team.

Here goes:

1. PVP is currently suffering because of titles and folks not wanting to finish fights because they feel out numbered or over powered for whatever reason.

Fine.

Give players the abillity to /toggle title. This means, if I /toggle title it is an on and off function. It allows me to turn my pvp title credit on and off. If it's off, I GET no credit and I GIVE no credit. This allows us to have mass pvp events without everyone getting all paranoid about their title being ganked away. In the situation of a duel, you will be able to tell if your opponent is /toggle title on by looking at your HUD when you target them. If the name shows up in "Green" then the pvp is ON, if the HUD shows the normal "RED" outline, pvp is OFF.

This keeps everyone honest and allows for people to duel eachother directly.

2. Same side kills nolonger give title credit, period. The reason for this is obvious, no title farming because it simply is NOT acceptable.

3. When and if you are in a 25%/0% zone, you are unable to zone under agro for 2 minutes.

This means the following.

IF I'm patrolling 2ho and say Gunnandhalf (yeah right) shows up and attacks me, from the moment he attacks me I have 2 minutes till I can zone and same with him.

This doesn't prevent you from using the 15 second grace period to see if your out numbered, out matched. As long as you don't agro someone or GET agro'd by someone, your safe to zone as you please.

The second you agro tho, you must fight for no less than 2 minutes OR run for real... Not use a door or a zone boarder to save you.

Bottom line, don't go to a pvp area unless you wanna fight. You can fight for title or not, its your choice. But don't agro and unload then zone.

Now, lot's of gankers wont like these ideas. My comment on that subject is: I don't really care, for the rest of us who LIKE to pvp for fun AND for title in matches where we can win or loose, these are good changes. For those who want something for nothing, (See: gankers/farmers/sploiters/cheaters) these are bad changes.

I've been pvp'n now since I was around lvl 80. Never had much fun at it over all but I love PVP as a concept in AO. When I first started to like PVP, it was in a game called Diablo. Not many cared for PVP in Diablo because you could pretty much be attacked and looted anywhere.

When Diablo II came out, they gave you the abillity to turn off your loot/pvp as you saw fit. This increased the number of folks who liked PVP because then it was for fun sometimes, not always for blood and friendly duels were possible.

I'm very much open to comments on this, I'd like to suggest these minor tweaks to 25%/0% and ask FC to give us the abillity to lock titles in mass pvp combat.

I would like to continue with the Battle Royale series but as it is, none of the good pvp'ers would show up for it because they are the first to get "ganked" or "team killed" in these events.

So, give me some opinions, tell me how I'm wrong.

Arg
    Argulace
    President
    Total Aggression Gaming
    Mercenaries of Kai (TAG)
    Chapter I. LAYING PLANS "All warfare is based on deception."

The on/off title idea is good. imho, people value them too much.
    The zoning idea is good, but for people who fly by scouting, it isn't simply because I've been shot at a whole bunch. ( which reminds me, do people have auto-targetting on or something? because each time, it was attacked by, attacked by...., instantly when I came into range. )
    211 Apprentice Fixer Wigz [gear]
    63 Enforcer Rarrr - Tankz()R!!!

Proud Veteran of Synergy Factor
    ARRRRR!!! Wigz Comics

Retired due to the intentional timesink design of AO.

interesting proposal. Alot less sided than your last one however there are a few things you did not think about

1. toggle. Should only be able to be done in 100% zones (ie so you cant drag the fight to 75% and then toggle off before you die)

2. No zoning for 2 mins huh. Hmm well what about fixers insta grid. Its "zoning"

The /toggle command does not work under agro. Meaning, you cant change it once agro from YOU or otherwise has been achieved. IF your agro'd, disable /toggle function.

Zoning is zoning (leaving the current playfield). No fixer grids either.
    Argulace
    President
    Total Aggression Gaming
    Mercenaries of Kai (TAG)

everything but the zoning thing is a good idea.

i dont see the point if not being able to zone if your 1 person being attacked by 3-10
    even if i have my title toggled off, would still have to deal with res efects when i die, which pisses me off ( and would even more if i was attacked by 5 people and couldnt zone for 2min)

losing a text next to my name doesnt phase me anyway i could care less.

I think when fixers use evac in pvp though it should cost like 1mil creds , and DoT's should not cancel. =xxxx

Emergency Vector Tap
    Description The bodies of everyone in the fixer's team are rapidly encoded into digital form and transferred into the Grid. The haste with which this encoding is done is a massive strain, and will cripple the fixer for a time.

cripple as in, I use 1 nano and heal kit and im set to go? somethin needs to be done with that, because thats not 'crippling' the fixer at all.

do I hear nerf grid evac's? wow, that changed the subject quickly.
    211 Apprentice Fixer Wigz [gear]
    63 Enforcer Rarrr - Tankz()R!!!

Proud Veteran of Synergy Factor
    ARRRRR!!! Wigz Comics

Retired due to the intentional timesink design of AO.

Last I checked, Omni and Clan were at war. In war, you dont get to "zone" when your out numbered. You may retreat, but buildings certainly don't save you as the enemy would simply blow the building up.

You don't go to Germany in the middle of WWII and expect not to be attacked by Germans if your out numbered. I'm afraid the days of "captains" meeting in the middle of the field of battle are long gone with the age of feudalism.

Oxo, I don't see how your comments on the fixer gridding are useful here. Maybe if you can provide me with a reason as to why its relavant to this thread I'll respond.

Arg
    Argulace
    President
    Total Aggression Gaming
    Mercenaries of Kai (TAG)

BUMP

good idea...all of it.

Dooomiz - 144 Soldier
    Doomiz - 95 Enforcer

arg, I LOVE IT ! these are good ideas all of them.

i especially like the 2 min til zone idea..would make 2ho WAY more fun.

and when i'm fighting you, i would still be able to zone to safety cause it usually takes you at least 2 1/2 minutes to kill me :P

really, out of all your ideas, i really really like the 2 minutes-til-you-can-zone-if-aggroed idea the best.

Good ideas Arg.
    Bump
    Battles should be battles.. Not fights to see if you can kill/root them before they move 3 inches and zone.
    Undercover Soccom Brother

Blackness confirmed!!
    Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Buying ql 161 Art of Peace nano

those are really good ideas...
    #1 i like less...
    but the zoning idea is really good although it would defeat the purpose of fixers fast grid nano....
    maybe no zoning except the grid thing...

I'm a Fixer, I don't want special treatment. If a rule applies to others, it should apply to me. Especially in PVP where I am the escape artist.

If I go into a pvp situation and can't last 2 minutes, it's my fault. That goes for any fixer.

It was either my fault for using too much of my nano pool or my fault for not going right back in the zone when I saw 20 clans standing around and I was still in grace.

I'm willing and I'm pretty sure the rest of the fixer community would be willing to say "If we cant survive 2 minutes somewhere just like everyone else, we die, just like everyone else."

Thats my opinion, but I really don't believe many fixers would want the abillity to grid before the 2 min was up. Otherwise whats the point?

People will just team with a fixer and never die.
    Argulace
    President
    Total Aggression Gaming
    Mercenaries of Kai (TAG)

Originally posted by Argulace_MoK
    Last I checked, Omni and Clan were at war. In war, you dont get to "zone" when your out numbered. You may retreat, but buildings certainly don't save you as the enemy would simply blow the building up.

You don't go to Germany in the middle of WWII and expect not to be attacked by Germans if your out numbered. I'm afraid the days of "captains" meeting in the middle of the field of battle are long gone with the age of feudalism.

Arg

last time i checked, this was a game not RL

maybe your spending too much time here bro , get some fresh air

oh and if you think we are at war, why cant clan or omni do nothing to eachother except fight?

see this post
    here
    Last edited by A²; Jul 22nd, 2002 at 22:23:55.

quit flaming Oxo, all Arg's doing is to come up with ideas(good or bad you judge) but every **** thread you are in you flame and flame and flame. so take your oxotec avatar and stop flaming so we can try to get real opinions of the ideas.

I like them all btw

All good except for the title idea.
    If anything, the gap where people can gain and lose points should be widened.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

This could be a good...or bad thing. Good because the zoners won't be able to hide in a building when they're dying...bad because it will make fair fights less and less possible. Say there's 6 clanners in 2h0...omni knows this and brings 20 omnis and kills them all with ease. Yeah, it's a war. That's supposed to happen. But it is also a game too. We're supposed to have fun. The battles would have to be 'prearranged' to last any significant amount of time. As it is right now, if there's 6 clanners in 2h0 and 20 omni show up and aggro, they zone and call in reinforcements...then sometimes (yes i said SOMETIMES) a semi fair battle takes place. The drawback to the system now is we get 15 minutes of fighting for 2 hours of waiting.
    Fotik
    200 Clan Opifex Engineer
    Unit Commander of Storm

I agreed with the 2 min rule till Fotik posted and made a good point about being hoplessly outnumbered....still anything is better than the useless bunker wars we have now so i'll still go along with it

The title toggling thing tho seems like it would just be frustrating
    It'll encourage title hogging and prolly just leave title fighting to duels...but right now many of the classes are still unbalanced that noone really duels much anyways...at least at really high lvls

You would most likely see the neo titles toggled red or whatever untill the neophyte is in a no lose ganking situation where he has no chance of dying then MAYBE he will toggle title on.....too bad the chances of a high title person in a NO WIN situation would be even smaller...ah well u get my idea

Still theyre real good ideas Arg, i hope some of em get put in game,cause anything is better that what we have right now

Anyone remember the Starcraft map Bunker Command? It was a lot like AO PvP, except that your bunker could be blown up.

If you cannot zone for 2 mins does that mean fixer grid nanos dont work? Personally just like see more pvp areas or the capture territory idea brought to life.

Originally posted by Fotik
    This could be a good...or bad thing. Good because the zoners won't be able to hide in a building when they're dying...bad because it will make fair fights less and less possible. Say there's 6 clanners in 2h0...omni knows this and brings 20 omnis and kills them all with ease. Yeah, it's a war. That's supposed to happen. But it is also a game too. We're supposed to have fun. The battles would have to be 'prearranged' to last any significant amount of time. As it is right now, if there's 6 clanners in 2h0 and 20 omni show up and aggro, they zone and call in reinforcements...then sometimes (yes i said SOMETIMES) a semi fair battle takes place. The drawback to the system now is we get 15 minutes of fighting for 2 hours of waiting.
    Hey, thats what makes it fun IMHO.

I mean, here I go... Little fixer, running through the whompa to see how many clans are in 2ho, if any.

Dum dum dum dum ..... dummmmmmmmmm dum dum dum...

Sneak... sneak... (grace period over) sneak... DOH! they were by the grid! RUN RUN RUN!!! Rooted :/ RUN RUN RUN!!! Rooted :/ "/tell polgra not good" (DEAD)

Alrighty then, I saw, hmmm bout 15 of em so i'm gonna get some MoK's and go Midevil on them!

I get the MoK's, meanwhile the clans know they been recon'd, OR not, maybe only a few of them showed themselves to kill me and there are really 30 and we are in for a BIG surprise.

Man, this is what makes pvp fun for me, NOT bunker wars. WHO cares if you die when title is off? Thats mass pvp and IMHO titles are meant for 1v1 dueling or "ladder combat" which AO does not currently have but if FC decides to show an ounce of interest in balancing PVP, I'll make one.

Arg
    Argulace
    President
    Total Aggression Gaming
    Mercenaries of Kai (TAG)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast