Thread: Darkness Falls: "Checkmate"

Darkness Falls: "Checkmate"

She sighed. Her dark eyes narrowed a bit towards the ground as she watched him walk from her, leaving her with the sparse crowd at Rompas. Something felt different. She sensed that he feared her.

With good reason…

She closed her eyes for a moment…her head swimming.

She was so weary these days. Sleep didn’t come easily. Sleep was accompanied by visions….frightful dreams of bloodlust. Dreams that occasionally left her bruised, scarred, and injured when she awoke – but she suspected the origin of those ‘dreams.’ Others….left her waking up to the sound of her own screams, twisted in her sheets or on the floor…remem---

“Are you alright? You are bleeding.”

Iolanthe’s dusky eyes shot open as she heard the voice, she felt a wave of dizziness wash over her as her mind re-registered her dim surroundings of the Rompas bar. A young, buxom woman stood before her with a semi-concerned look on her face. Iolanthe sniffed a bit, and wiped a bit at her face, under her nose. It was bleeding again. The latter visions seemed to be having a more violent manifestation as of late. She smiled quickly, reassuringly.

“It is nothing. I must have run into something or some such.”

The girl looked at her strangely for a moment. Nodded, then smiled, then went on her way. Iolanthe sighed inwardly and made her way out of the lounge bar, her eyes resting on the occupants as she passed them, registering them into memory – not noting anyone that stood out for any particular reason. She exited the bar and sank silently within herself thinking as she made the journey to her Jobe apartment, crossing Omni-1 Ent District, Rome Red, Rome Green, the Platform, all the way to Jobe Harbor’s luxury apartment sector.

Her body was on autopilot, it seemed, as she made a mental check of all the things she had to get together. She had told him she’d share information. She hoped it would be mutual…. She had questions… tons of them, that needed to be answered.

She took out her Jobe Apartment access card, and scanned it – entering when the doors opened. She felt the burst of cool air hit her face as she entered. The soft scent of the herbs she kept in the main room reached at her as she passed them to go down to the sitting area, making herself a bit more comfortable as she leaned back in the round padded chair, picking up a stack of files from the table next of her and placing them in her lap. She leaned back for a moment to turn on a bit of ambience music to overpower the soft whispers that clouded her thoughts as she looked over the files. Her entire apartment had files all over them. Stacks and stacks of data reports. Journals of the Subjects. Journals of the Scientists. Graphical read-outs. Photos. The works. Her regular class Jobe Apartment was filled with file cabinets that held off-network files that had been collected for years. And there was still much that wasn’t known.

She paused a bit, as she finished the first stack, rubbed her temples for a moment, closing her eyes.

Her head hurt.

The whispers became louder. A dull melding of voices echoed throughout her skull.

The blackness of her vision ceased when awful images of disfigured faces flashed before her. Bloodied and dead. The images zoomed out to full view of the bodies that lay in a pool of their own blood.

Even though the killing blows were puncture wounds to the most vital of areas – it was obvious that was just the beginning of the mutilation of the bodies – most of degradation had occurred post-mortem.

More faces. More bodies were shown. More blood. Dripping. Pooling about the bodies. The voices grew louder. A low howl inside of her psyche.

She could smell the blood now. Almost taste it, the dull metallic flavor of it.

Her head was pounding. She could feel her heart rate increase. She forced her eyes open. She felt nauseous. She scrambled to get up. Disoriented – She fell to her knees. Her body suddenly felt quite weak.

Her surroundings were not of her Jobe Apartment.

Confused, she looked about. She was outside of Port 5, in Elysium.

Her body tremored under stress. She pushed herself to her feet quickly, dagger in either hand, pain echoed in her thigh, right side, collar bone, and head. She was covered in blood – a small portion of it in comparison was her own. Around her, were a multitude of dead bodies. Each wearing different uniforms, coloring, and various styles.

Her eyes were fixed on her opponent, whose face was masked. Her eyes were locked on his catlike ones. He looked at her oddly for a moment, then lunged for her unprotected section of her arm, going for a vital artery or to disarm her at the very least. She countered him, nullifying his attack, her muscles screamed as she absorbed the force of his attack, which pushed her back a few feet, but she recovered. She redefined her stance, preparing for another attack, taking in her surroundings, being certain not to trip over a lifeless limb.

She was wearing deep crimson purple leather uniform. There were mangled bodies of her comrades about her… she was the last of those wearing that coloring. Her opponent wore a red and black ensemble of a similar style to her own. Again, he was the last of those soldiers as well. From the situation, he seemed to have the advantage – she was wounded. There had been a greater number of the red clad warriors, at first glance. The positioning of the bodies of the skirmish had insinuated an ambush.

She growled, and reinforced her grip on her blades – she beckoned him to attack. Her eyes menacing; fierce with bloodlust.

He moved in quick, swiping at her chest, the slashing movement a bit odd for another dagger fighter. She feinted, darting her right dagger towards his neck, his dagger meeting with a vital spot, piercing between a few ribs under her arm…the pain exploded into her awareness. He ripped it out as soon as he had pierced it, going for another locale. She allowed a barely audible whimper to escape her lips.

Her other dagger had hit home, into his abdomen, piercing deeply. He let out an anguished cry as she grinned at him as she twisted the blade, picking up her petite form, and throwing her a few yards away, and then he clutched his wound.

She made a loud thud as she landed partially on the metal of the ramp and on bodies, curled in pain. She held in her hand his mask. She had ripped it off as she had been thrown. She rolled onto her back, her breathing strenuous. She tasted blood in her mouth. She coughed a bit as sat up, her eyes raised to her opponent.

She froze up. She scampered to her feet as she assumed a faux defensive position again, pulling out another dagger. Her hands shaking. Her strength failing as he stepped to her, slowly, calmly… wounded now.. she could smell his blood. She smirked a bit. She had wounded him.. the traitor. Their leader. Now she knew his identity… she remembered him. It made her all the more angry.

“Oni, I won’t kill you.”

She glared at him, lunged at him again, her daggers elusive in their destination.

“Then I will kill you.”

She quickly met with her back to the unfriendly hardness of the ramp, the fresh wound in her chest screamed. Her head spun. He stepped on one of her hands, her hand released the dagger. He held her other dagger, studying it.

“Oni – killing you would be a waste. I can’t destroy a work of art. Join me.”

She squirmed, as she labored to even breathe. She looked up at him.

“Kill me. Or I’ll kill you. You know I won’t surrender. I won’t tell you anything about any of them.”

He tilted his head a bit, the harsh light of Shadowlands glaring behind him. He spoke gently.

“I am not asking you to surrender. I am asking for a great warrior to join the cause of all our kind.”

Her body twinged a bit, her breathing heightened. She shook her head. She heard his voice again as her eyes closed.

“Oni?”

She didn’t move. She stopped breathing. He kneeled down, she heard him.

“Oni…?”

She heard him look into his pack for something, perhaps a spiral-aid stim. She made her move.

“DIE!”

She grasped the dagger that was slightly out of her hand, and jerked it upward, swinging it in an upwards arc, towards his neck, stabbing upwards…he grasp her arm, twisting it, she cried out she heard a bone in her arm snap. That set her breathing into short spasms, she lashed out with her arms as fiercely as possible. He held her down, calmly, as she thrashed under him. She blacked out due to fatigue, lack of oxygen, and blood loss.

She gasped a bit, sitting up. Coughing a bit. It hurt to breath. She rubbed at her eyes a bit, stretching a bit, leaning back again. Looking around, she became aware of her surroundings. She was in her bed in her Apartment in Jobe… she slid up a bit, against the mantle of the bed, looking around, hugging her knees to her chest. Thoughts of the dream, consuming her mind. Her body ached so much. Her side, under her arm, was so tender, and it was difficult to take in deep breathes. She coughed some more, it contained blood. She had bruises on her arm, and bandages over her body.

“So you are awake… good.”

She recognized the voice instantly, she looked to the entrance into the bedroom.

“Grec…Mind telling me why I feel like a pincushion and why I am bandaged up like a leper?”

He scowled at her. Sitting at the window, staring at her, he looked at her for an extended moment, then spoke again.

“I was hoping you could tell me what happened. I found you here. You were on the floor, bleeding badly. I patched you up best of my knowledge. How do you feel?”

Iolanthe rested her head on her knees, looking outside the window, the apartment overlooking Jobe Harbor. She grumbled.

“I feel like I’ve had the crap beat out of me. That’s how I feel. How long was I out?”

His eyes fixed on her, he frowned a bit.

“5 days… I cleaned up the files a bit. Your blood was on them… I did the best I could. What were you looking at the ORCL files for?”

She sighed a bit and straightened up and looked at him for a long moment.

“I had another vision.”

His frowned deepened.

“That was one Hell of a vision then…”
    {Self-Moderated by Iolanthe}
    //220//19// ex nihilo, nihil fit

Proud Veteran of Tranquility
    RK-1's First 220 Hawt Solitus Shade
    Hawter than j00 and always right. Always.

-=Mottos to Troll by=-
    "I am Paper. Rock is fine. Nerf Scissors." "Shaddup before I smite you with scary logic bombs
    and keeel you with mind bullets." "You don't have to provide all sides of an arguement
    when the other perspectives are clearly bullsh*t."

Darkness Comes...

He smiled as he set his counter-strike sniper rifle down and lit a self-rolled old-earth class cigarette and inhaled the tar-filled smoke. His eyes followed a shadowy form in the darkness of night as he exhaled the smoke, wisped away by the swift breeze in this nearly abandoned dusty town on the edge of the Newland Desert.

The form was slinking in and out of the shadows of the building – which was the difference between pitch black darkness and partially illuminated black darkness with the help of one of the moons, in its mid-rise, though it was only but a sliver on this night.

He sucked in another smoky breathe from the cigarette as a gentle aroma touched his senses - the caress of lavender and sandalwood was distinct.

It was her. The one he was hoping for.

She was beautiful – truly a Goddess. He could see the feline grace and subtlety with which she moved. The way her clothing gripped to her form, leaving very little to the imagination. He could practically hear her breathing… hear her moving, as if she were only meters away.

It was a pity that such a creature was to go to waste.

He had been watching her for a good month now – watching every moment. Every person that she interacted with was ID’d and marked….he knew her better than her perspective lovers… better than her so-called friends…

She was quiet when she entered a certain building. She was quiet the entire time – a normal person, not trained excessively in what to look for in the concealment arts, would not have been able to hear or spot her.

He dropped the cig on the ground and crushed the blunt with his boot, as he hoisted his rifle back on his shoulder. He hit a button on an activation gadget to a device within the building. He narrowed his eyes as he hopped down from his perch, and made his way silently to the building.

As he opened the door, he was met with the rapidly dissipating gaseous nerve gas of the device that had just seconds before had been detonated. On the floor, there were two bodies.

One of the woman and the other of the man, who had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also, being an informant to the woman whom he had been tracking. He had no choice but to terminate him. He decided to leave him as a message. It was regretful that it had to be so…distasteful and messy. It wasn’t his style at all.

The little nymph’s body was crumpled on the floor. She looked peaceful and harmless, as if she weren’t caught up in any of this mess. He touched her left cheek, with the signifying tattoo on her face, marking her as a Shade…he felt something wet…tears. Her hands were gripped on the rug she lay on, holding tight to the shag carpet.

He gripped her hands…and bound them super-plastic ties, and the same with her feet.

He locked the door, and then pulled up a chair, and waited.

He smiled as he lit another cigarette, exhaling a cloud of smoke over her unconscious form.
    Spencer Riatta Falcon
    ~~~~~
    "Breathe, follow my command
    Believe, that is in your hands
    Grieve, as death by moon is slow
    Heat of seventh sun will show."
    ~Rhea's Obsession
    'Death by Moonlight'

She was late. Very late for a meeting she had been putting off for too long.

She had gotten caught up in a matter of her organization’s occupation of the Primus Camp. She swore a little bit as she raced to the designated meeting location. She always liked coming to Newland City, it felt like home to her. Her file said it was home to her… in another life.

Half the time she didn’t believe the garbage those files said. Just like she didn’t believe the thoughts and ideas the spirits whispered to her at all hours of the day.

Right now, they were telling her to slow down and be cautious. She couldn’t afford to be any later, Grec was going to be pissed enough that she was this late as it is.

As she touched the door knob to enter the building, she felt the adrenaline of panic explode into her system. Something was wrong. Very wrong.

The air smelled of blood… and of death.

She rushed into the building, her eyes immediately fell to the mangled body on the floor. There was a lot of blood…too much for simply a fatal gunshot wound. She was down on her knees, examining the body when she heard a slight popping sound, then a gentle, but distinct hiss…

Oh no…

Her body lurched and struggled as the gaseous substance entered her body. She fought it as everything went dim. It wasn’t enough to stop the invasion of darkness from consuming her.

~~~~~~
    Her eyes opened as she heard a faint mocking laugh resonate inside her head. She was on an open meadow. It was night. There were thousands of stars in the sky. Three moons hung in the sky, letting its silvery light fall over the meadow. The meadow was filled with hundreds upon hundreds of various night blooming flowers.

She had been here before. It was vague, but she had been here before… in her dreams.

“Are you going to just lie there or are you going to help me with these lengths of twine?” A voice scolded her from behind her.

She whirled around to be met with a petite elfin form of someone very familiar. Her eyes widened.

“Oni? What are you talking about? Why are we here?” she was met with a glare.

“Oh come on, like you don’t know.” Oni scowled at her. “You’ve done and got yourself in yet another situation where you have a grand chance of ending your miserable life. Its my job to remind you of your task.”

“But… I thought that you were me? Or I’m you? Or…something?” She sighed and glasped her head with her hands. “Grec is dead. Its my fault.” She looked up, to be met with a sharp sting as Oni struck her across her face.

“Must you always be so melodramatic? The person who pulled the trigger killed him – not you. As for your identity problem… does it really matter? Life is life… and the sooner you figure out that your purpose and your being.. are important, the better. Otherwise I’d have to wait another 400 years for this chance. And forgive me.. or is it you...either or…forgive me for being selfish, but I’d like to have all this mess dealt with.”

“What the hell are you talking about? I want no part of it. I was fine before I got caught up in this mess.” She met Oni’s glare with her own.

Oni smiled suddenly. “You know… if the intervention hadn’t occurred… do you know where you would be right now? You’d truly be nonexistent. They’ve no use for Xum-hybrids any longer. Is that what you want? To be exterminated? Without all this knowledge…?”

She growled then her muscled lurched her forward as she tackled Oni to the ground, her hands reaching for her neck... “This knowledge? This knowledge has been my personal Hell since I became aware of it! This knowledge of what they did… what they have been doing… to me.. and the others? I’d be better off not knowing a thing. Ignorance is bliss. Some things are better off left unknown and untouched.”

Oni grinned as Iolanthe’s hands gripped her neck tightly. “You are wrong. Ignorance is death. Knowledge is power. You have the power to set things right.” Oni’s eyes darkened, and then her hands were planted on Iolanthe’s sides as she flipped her to her back, and pinned her. “Listen to me. If you do not play the next 5 minutes right, you will die.” Iolanthe struggled under her grip, fighting hard, her body thrashing.. it would have been effective if Oni had not the power of the spirits behind her strength. “See. You fight now as oxygen leaves your bloodstream. As you fight for breath. See how life is for living… “

Oni’s form began to dissapte over her own. Iolanthe fought and struggled, sucking in huge gulps of air… “You have an advantage. Your potential killer is a ghost from the past.” As she disappeared, Oni's lips brushed against her own...
    ~~~~~~

Her eyes shot open. Her eyes darted around the room, trying to focus on the other person in room. Everything was so dim. So hazy.

Her eyes fell on her smiling captor. She sucked in a sharp breath, letting more oxygen to her lungs… her eyes went into focus on the face. She gasped.

Riatta…
    {Self-Moderated by Iolanthe}
    //220//19// ex nihilo, nihil fit

Proud Veteran of Tranquility
    RK-1's First 220 Hawt Solitus Shade
    Hawter than j00 and always right. Always.

-=Mottos to Troll by=-
    "I am Paper. Rock is fine. Nerf Scissors." "Shaddup before I smite you with scary logic bombs
    and keeel you with mind bullets." "You don't have to provide all sides of an arguement
    when the other perspectives are clearly bullsh*t."