Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U-Turn

Omni Entertainment
    The wompah doors in Omni Entertainment opened up, briefly showed a slender frame of an opifex female that hurried into the shadows of the nearby highrises. 25 minutes to reach the location – half an eternity. Pax could have been there in a couple of moments but decided to take a safety detour. It was awful quiet in this district.. too quiet; The least thing she wanted was leading her trail, whether imaginary or not, straight to the spot.

Meanwhile just a few blocks away
    A squad of four Omni Pol officers geared in the companies finest patrolled the darker alleys of this district. Except for the higher ranked officer it appeared they weren’t too enthusiastic in doing that.

“Man, this ought to be my day off! I knew I should’ve muted my comm.” one of them complained. “Yeah, issuing heightened security patrols half an hour before my shift ends.. this sucks! Chief, this better be not a drill to teach the rookie here in our round a lesson to stay vigilant all the time. I’m sick of doing these extra exercises just for him learning the ropes.” another sneered.

“Just shut the f**k up, both of you. Do I have to remind you morons that you were responsible Sgt. Orwell gone MIA at the last alien attack? Serves us right they assigned a freshy in our squad.” looking over his shoulder to adress the one who remained silent “No offence Private Winterson.” followed by a brief “None taken, sir.”

“Information of what to look for are still scarce.. or kept scarce. What we know for sure is that two fugitive Opifexes broke into the InternOps HQ and escaped through grid. We got DNA samples and one of them was kind enough to leave a bright trail as he or she traveled via grid from Newland to here. So keep your eyes perked for any Opifex that wanders around this late.”

“An Opifex like the one over there?” Winterson pointed into the distance.

Pax
    Crossing the gap between two adjoining blocks she sensed their eyes resting on her, even saw them vaguely in the corner of her eyes but walked on, playing it Bogart until she was safely out of their sight again behind the massive walls of a towering highrise. Pressing her back against them walls Pax took a moment to evaluate her options.

Now what? Are they looking for me or is this just my paranoia talking? Maybe they’re just doing their rounds to give the oblivious cititzen the warm and fuzzy feeling there is no safer place than here. The question is.. how much do they know - is there a way to bluff your way out of this? Heh, I better assume the worst case - they spotted me and are closing in on the double to intercept at the next crossing. Can’t take them out without the moment of surprise on my side. And even if this place would be swarming with even more guards once one shot is fired.. THINK Claire, think fast!

Omni Pol
    “Well done Winterson. Wonder what she’s doing out here at this ungodly time. Alright, let’s move out, we split up. Watson, Winterson – you both go in this direction while Taylor and I going to intercept her at the next crossing.. MOVE MOVE MOVE.”

“Nah, I’m not going to babysit the rookie.” Watson muttered within Wintersons earshot. After giving Taylor and Lt. Combe a headstart he followed them. “First he should learn which way round he’s supposed to wield his assault rifle. I won’t risk a headache at reclaim just because he shot me by accident.

Winterson followed the given orders and moved out alone.

Pax
    You sure you didn’t forget anything?” the sarcastic comment she received earlier for bringing an array of gadgets along flashed through her synapses. Instantly she fingered a device out her pockets which was not bigger than a pack of smokes, did final adjustments to it and threw it into the air. The device floated four meters above Pax on its own then glided along the road towards the crossing.

“Someone has to be prepared for this.” Pax chuckled and was about to head in the opposite direction where the device was heading but got run over by an Omni Pol officer that sped around the corner. Both hit the ground.

“Oww! Hey, watch where you going! You think your uniform gives you the right to...” Pax’s curses towards the officer were interrupted by yells further down the road. Squinting to the origin of the commotion Pax saw three more officers chasing a slender frame wearing a black trenchcoat running in a straight line down the road. The officer which ran into Pax got to his feet again, briefly apologized and darted away to catch up on his squad.

Have fun chasing holograms. I got a date anyways.” Pax vanished into the shadows.

Omni Pol
    Lt. Combe and Taylor were almost at the crossing as a pale figure dressed in black blindly sped by at an enormous speed.

“Omni Pol! You there, stop immediately!” Lt. Combe yelled while trying to keep pace with that Opifex. “You’ll only make things worse!” he yelled again after another hundred meters, the gap between them widened and Lt. Combe had to act before she was getting away. “Stop or we’ll open fire! This is your final warning!” a weak yell echoed through the streets. No effect. “Taylor! Fire at will, aim low.. we need her alive!”. A staccato of gunshots went off but hit nothing but the massive wall that surrounded the whole district. At that very moment the image disappeared into thin air.

“What the hell?” Lt. Combe had a puzzled expression on his face as he arrived at the spot where the Opifex vanished. He only found a badly chipped device that must’ve collided with the walls. Anger and frustration boiled up in him knowing he has been tricked by a hologram. He opened a comm channel. “Ops! I need a K9 cyberhound here double quick.”

“Affirmative. ETA 2 mins.” came through his comm. “You better pray you’re not in this district but far far away.” a wicked grin formed under his visor.

Pax
    Luckily there weren’t any further encounters on her trip to Rompa Bar. Why she picked that location in particular she didn’t know anymore but what dawned on her was that it wasn’t the brightest idea she had lately. This place was a preferred location for all kinds of law enforcement personnel to hang out at, having a good time and a cold beer after a long shift. Off duty or not, that won’t stop them from supporting Omni Pol officers shall it come down to it. Pax eased up a bit when she realized it was almost 4am, way too late for working personnel.

Inside most of the tables were deserted. Pax let her sight roam over the place but there was no Naefen around but instead a few extremely drunk cititzen that passed out already. A servant removed the last bit of evidence there was a big party earlier. Heading towards the bartender he greeted her with a warm but tired smile.

“Top of the mornin’ to you. I’d like some breakfast for champions – coffee!” Pax flicked a cred chip over to the bartender and left a minute later, heading to the ladies restrooms to fresh up a bit and get ready to meet up with Naefen.
    Servatis a periculum - servatis a maleficum

And the world spins by with everybody moaning, p***ing, b****ing and everyone is sh***ing
    On their friends, On their love, On their oaths, On their honor, On their graves,
    Out their mouths and their words say nothing

The ladies restroom was, unlike the corridor and the main hall, seemingly overpopulated by three pompous, self-centered Solitus females, powdering their noses, each trying to overbear the others. There was a moment of silence when Pax entered, their eyes looking her up and down. Within a couple of seconds they came to the conclusion the new arrival was, according to her clothing and all, not worth taking notice of and continued their chitchat.

Pompous sl*ts.. they better shut their holes before I put them in one.” Pax crossed the room, past the Solitus women and could sense something was going to happen. In boltered an Opifex male that beared a great resemblance to Naefen. Staggering a few more steps before he knelt down and puked right in front of him. The three Solitus females screamed and left head over heels as this place became too unsanitary for their taste all of a sudden.

It took Pax one more eyelash to realize that slobbering git was indeed Naefen but didn’t really get it how he could have the nerve to get tanked up while Omni Pol was out there looking for them.

"Im sure you wont mind me asking.... What in the world are you doing?" totally clueless but even more furious about how he jeopardized everything now that the deal was almost complete.

“I’m celebrating.. can’t you see...” was his snappy comeback. Thinking her teammate was beyond reason Pax turned around to leave.

"Wait Pax, Im not insane just yet... Im being followed and so are you. Most likely we will be arrested in about one and a half minute." Naefen said which wasn’t something new to her as it was just a matter of time until Omni Pol searched for them here. Yet Pax turned around far enough to look at him over her shoulder.

One and a half minute until Omni Pol was storming this place, taking both of them into custody for hours, maybe even days depending on the lawyer you can afford. Precious time that she didn’t have as there still was the deed for the haywire AI that helped both Naefen and Pax creating the diversion they needed on the roof. In return it demanded access to the grid.

He’s not aware of it, he don’t know about that deal. Neither does he know I ran into a patrol of which at least one could identify me...” her thoughts scattered as she watched Naefen injecting himself some strange stim, handing her one that looked just like it.

“Most likely unless you do as I say....“ long before she heard him say it she knew something like that would happen; Not when, just the method how he would play his final ace was what she was dying to know all along. The only thing missing in the scene was his smug smile.

Was it the same cocktail he offered `Jack´ back then in Newland? There weren’t any signs of a fight so it was possible. And where did Naefens queasiness come from? Side effects from the antidote for this lethal poison? All questions Pax didn’t have the answers to which angered her. No amount of painkillers could keep this ache away from her to just go for her guns and blow him away or punch the living snot out of him.

Control, it all comes down to that; You fear the things that are out of your hands, ain’t that right?

(( More in a few... or read the spoilers in Naefens post.. some of which even I’m not aware of. ))

And the world spins by with everybody moaning, p***ing, b****ing and everyone is sh***ing
    On their friends, On their love, On their oaths, On their honor, On their graves,

Naefens hand was still outstreched offering a dubious stim that Pax never saw before. Somewhere deep within Pax’s consciousness was her logic, having it all sorted out; Why should Naefen try to get rid of her now when the information he was after was still in her possession? Or rather well hidden in the restroom in Neuters’R’us only she knew where. What Naefen was offering was a way, if not the only one, to get out of this mess unscathed. Unfortunately Pax was unable to see it, blinded by anger and frustration.

I should have let him taking the fall off that roof pancake style.. no, I shouldn’t have agreed to this at all in the first place but instead leaking information about it over to the authorities for a nifty reward.

A turmoil out on the corridors shook her out of her thoughts. Naefens rough estimation of ninty seconds turned out to be a mere ten secs. Pax faced him.

"Take it Pax. Take it and walk." Naefen beseeched her, a peculiar behaviour Pax never witnessed on him before. All she needed to do was taking it but she didn’t, sticking to her fabricated theory he wanted to frame her.

"Im not falling for your games this time Nick..."

Naefen`s face contorted into a grimace picturing absolute outrage. "Then be damned with you!" He screamed. Pax wasn’t startled by the curse he just threw at her but his untypical behaviour. She never ever saw him that furious, the whole image she had of him being a stone cold hit man crumbled.

Why’s he so upset about losing another pawn?” Pax saw the stim falling to the ground in slowmotion. Before it touched the ground she realized her mistake “Because he cares, you stubborn bitch.” Everything turned into a blur, the whole construct of betrayal she made-up in her imagination collapsed. Within all the dizzyness she vaguely saw Naefen turning around, running headfirst into the wall, sliding down to the floor. Then he ripped his sleeve open.

"Nick what the he...."Pax started. The door came in with a loud crack. In came Omni Pol commandos in sleek black Omni-Pol Elite armor – the assault issue. By now she knew it was all over; The last exit door that might have led out of this mess slammed shut; The recurring dream about doing scores, getting close but then failing finally came true. It was trivial and pointless to ponder whether she unawarely twisted every little detail the way she saw fit to end up with that result.

In came a different clad man. He wore a white, thin armor with a white trenchcoat on top. Not at all the usual grunt that patrolled the area or in this case, keeping suspects in check. Pax saw him mouthing something into his comm but was way to preoccupied to recall at least one moment Naefen wanted to frame her but there wasn’t; It were all just figments of her imagination. “This must be one hell of a nightmare I have been drawn into... Just relax, count backwards from ten and you will wake up from it. That sounds like a good plan... ten...

"Whats your call sign?" the man who wore white armor asked.

... nine.. don’t mind him, he’s not real... ” now he pulled a device out of his many pockets and stinged Pax with it. “... Ouch, hey, aren’t you supposed to wake up from a dream when you get pinched or stinged? Alas, I must be fast asleep... eight..

"Well I dont care what your callsignature is anymore. Your ID scan shows you have been where you shouldnt have as clearly as a sunlit day. Guards, take her."

Just play along just now... seven... remember: every choice you make in a nightmare is the wrong one...

“You heard the man, move it out of there, you are coming with us. And don’t even think of making any sudden moves!” one of them barked from under his helmet. If he didn’t turn his head slightly to another fully armed grunt to add “Winterson, pay good attention to this. This is how it’s done.”, Pax would have never figured out which of them spoke. Slowly she raised the hands and put them behind her head, walking towards the exit. Almost through the door that led to the corridor she stopped.

“I’ll catch you later and finish what I’ve started... Jack.” speaking in riddles that might have given Naefen a clue where to look for the information he was after and at the same time fooling the guards it was about a quarrel between her and Naefen.

“No, you’re not going anywhere any day soon. Now get moving, we got a shuttle to catch! Taylor, Watson, you stick with Dewey and secure this area.”

Just outside the Rompa Bar Lt. Combe manveuvered Pax to the middle of the road. A shuttle was about to land between the narrow buildings, slowly descended.

“Winterson, frisk that f**k. And don’t worry, I got you covered. Oh.. and don’t forget to cuff her.”

“Sir, yes sir.” Winterson hostered his assault rifle and cautiously walked towards their detainee which stood with her back towards them, hands still behind her head. Pax heard his steps closing in on her, heard the problems he had releasing the handcuffs from his belt. He now stood behind her, within her grasp.

The genius of the hole, no matter how far you managed to climb out, you can still fall back down at an instant.. Six.. awww, screw the counting.

Pax bursted into action.

Gunshots echoed through the narrow streets.

END

Noooo...it can't end...must have more Pax action....shes like Trinity to the billionth power...

Darkarch
    Shirael - 207 Adventurer
    Darkarch - 200 Fixer
    Vhearaun - 120 Adventurer
    Groovyboots - 101 Bureacrat
    "...and she hit them all with that smile, like the Mona Lisa with a machine gun, turning slowly." Sign of the Unicorn- Roger Zelazny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12