Thread: What I think of a PvP server...

What I think of a PvP server...

I think a PvP server is what is needed to save AO when the new MMORPGs come out. For the people that think AO is at no risk, well it has been at risk and losing people for awhile now, even before these new MMORPGs are out. When they do come out it, won't get any better than it is now. I'm not anti-funcom or going to b!tch about how the game sucks, I'm just posting this in hopes Funcom would at least consider the idea, and understand they have other types of players besides the ones that just want to do missions, level or chat.

On a PvP server, AO can be what it should have been all along, a real conflict between Omni and Clan. As of now, the 2 sides team with each other, Omni can even go to Tir arena for duels, and I often see the 2 sides get along quite well. My idea of a conflict is not watching these sides get along so well while Funcom posts little stories of how they are not getting along. I want to see the story in-game and take part in it, not just read about it. I understand that some people don't wish to take part in the story with real players, but some of us just want to see AO as the story seems to say it is *in-game*. Some of us want to feel the danger of this conflict.

Now the problems with this idea is that PvP in AO is for the people who have the time and patience to make their character as uber as possible. From everything I have seen, it's not for the casual players (this is Funcoms fault). Most players who try it will get owned by a super twinked character that won't bother to level anymore because of the time they put in setting up their character. This will turn alot of people away from PvP who don't have the time and patience to compete. Some people when they lose will coninue to update their character, do quests for items or get their next token board, but alot of players will not go through the trouble.

Now I know AOs PvP is not perfect or balanced either, but dispite ALL THESE PROBLEMS, I still think it would be more fun for those that do PvP and stick it out, to play on a server that allows the sides to be true enemies. The level restrictions in PvP would need to go all the way to 200 though so level 200s can't attack level 75s. Funcom could fix that easy though.

Also why should Funcom force their players that like PvP competition into the new games like Shadowbane? I can understand if Funcom can't afford a new server, but they should at least say that as a reason for not doing so.

As for the people who say: "But there would be ganking"
    Yes they are very right, there would be. Ganking means attacking someone 5 against 4 (in other words outnumbering them) and that is a part of war, and will also happen ALOT in PvP based games (FPS, Neocron, Shadowbane). Sometimes the people being ganked can win, but odds are not in their favor. So the server would not be for those that think all fighting should be 1 on 1 without a team to help them. I think the arena in AO should have only worked with a /duel command for 1 on 1 fighting though.

So regardless of the problems with PvP, I still want a PvP server, or I know I and alot of people will leave for a MMORPG that gives us one or is PvP-based. If Funcom can't appeal to everyone fine, but would be nice to hear what they think of a PvP server.

LALALA
    Last edited by Mor; Jul 24th, 2002 at 00:04:39.