Thread: A Request for Getting Info in to Offline Databases

A Request for Getting Info in to Offline Databases

Greetings, I am a programmer for the faction Titan Mining, LLC (Http://www.titanmining.com)

One of the programs I have put together is of course an employee roster. I know most every faction out there has this same function on their webstites as well.

Those of us who program, usually spend hours of our own free time (and gladly so) making these tools, so people get more into AO. However, I have found that for AO, my tools get used less than for other online games. I have found the reason is that players simply go through levels very fast in AO, and it is just a bit of a pain to always log on and change your data on the web site.

The request I have is this:

Would you possibly make a .txt file in the AO directory that is overwritten each time you exit the game (proper logouts) that looked somewhat like the following:

name of file : current date.txt
    firstname: player name
    nickname: player name
    lastname: player name
    Breed: data
    Proffesion: data
    level: data
    current location: data
    faction: data
    tital: data

etc...

This would allow our users to hit our faction web sites, hit an upload button and us programmers could take it from there. We would be able to update lots of information this way, and keep our rosters current without all the hassle of asking users to do it themselves.

I of course would dream of a tool that would allow us to get this information directly from you, however, I understand the risks in opening up data to the online community.

With my suggestion, only the user of the account has access to this information when it is created, and then can decide on his/her own who else may have access to it.

I know this will not be a high profile thread, or even addition to the game, its just something to throw on the list that would make some very dedicated customers happy.

Thanks for taking the time to read,
    Dr Edyn MD
    Director of IT
    Titan Mining, LLC
    http://www.titanmining.com

also

Something similar to this has been done in other games, although it was an ongoing process.

For example (and I am SURE your dev team hates hearing about this game) but EQ did a great job with the parse files. Many programs sprang up to help you understand better how you where doing with your character.

The end result, people got more into their characters, and fine tuned them to a great degree. With AO, the large amount of factors that go into creating a truely great (and I dont mean twinked) character are confusing to many people.

I would simply like to see some way those of us who are willing to write these tools can get some information out of all that data going through our systems.

again, thanks.
    Dr Edyn MD
    Director of IT
    Titan Mining, LLC
    http://www.titanmining.com