Thread: where did i go wrong

where did i go wrong

He HE. Just bought a new computer rig. amd athlon 1.8ghz. 512 megs ddr ram. 128 meg radeon card.

now for my problem and 1200 x 1024 it takes 20 seconds to load broken shores and the lag is almost nonexistant 30fps on the slow side. Would i have done better to have bought a geoforce card or is this expected with a low end machine like mine. thanks.
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Um..? Are you trying to say that 30 fps is bad? In AO, that's to be expected on that resolution. Load times are also going to stay about the same, as harddrive speed is probably only a marginal increase, so it only would load faster after it has been placed in your RAM.
    ~Chris

ok why when i log in and put the account on monitor #2 does it run realy realy slow. but if i put it on monitor #1 it runs great? i want to be able to log in with both of my accounts this is fustrating. grrrrr.
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

I'll tell you where you went wrong:

You went to broken shores.

Ever since FunCom removed high-lvl outdoorshunting, BS has been just about the only place high-lvl teams gather to do teammissions. *shrug*

Since "everyone" is there, the whole zone lags (serverside, I believe).

It is NOT just FC's fault though.
    Lazy players are also to blame. If more would take missions to other locations, the serverload would be spread around more, and less noticable.

That, is at least MY theory.

alternative

I dont know if this isnt found yet but, isnt newland to pleasant meadows a good combo for missions? I usually get good missions there, I challenge you all to try it once, it helps a bit, just try to find one near a river or the tac camp ( I think its a tac camp.....)

Re: alternative

Originally posted by Robert1007
    I dont know if this isnt found yet but, isnt newland to pleasant meadows a good combo for missions? I usually get good missions there, I challenge you all to try it once, it helps a bit, just try to find one near a river or the tac camp ( I think its a tac camp.....)
    One of the main reasons people pull BS missions is because its easy to get to... but in most cases the PRIMARY reason (at least for me) is because you're less likely to get those insanely huge missions.

For instance, Omni-HQ or Pleasant Meadows tend to be HUGE. The last 2 I did in omni-hq garnered about 11 million xp, each. Now, you're probably saying "wow... why are you complaining?" Well at the higher levels, most of the xp is gotten from the reward and keeping a team together for the 3 - 4 hours that such a mission sometimes requires is really hard. Literally, it took 4 mobs to raise the % by 1 point. That's 400 mobs and while it can be fun at first, after the first 2 hours people tend to get tired since you haven't had that break, people stop talking... and it drags on and on and on.

Pleasant meadows is another "OMG its been 1% for the past 8 mobs" type of place." I actually got 4.8 million xp off of one once... and it was a 50% mission at level 125... so you can imagine how big that was... when 90% of the creatures were giving you 8K xp.

Originally posted by HidaReign
    ok why when i log in and put the account on monitor #2 does it run realy realy slow. but if i put it on monitor #1 it runs great? i want to be able to log in with both of my accounts this is fustrating. grrrrr.
    Presumably monitor number 2 is running off some old PCI card - unless you have 2 AGP slots? With little or no hardware acceleration?

I would never try to run two versions of AO from the same computer...

Originally posted by Snublefot
    I would never try to run two versions of AO from the same computer...
    naah it's ok, as long as you run one in the standard rez (mine is 1280x1024x32) an the other in a lower (800x600x16)

Good to have when you have 2 accounts and use one to just sit there, doing nothing really, like having a healpet on other char, being bank, buffing machine etc.
    220/27/62 Crat | 200 NT | 200 fixer |174/14/42 twink trox nt| 100/12 trader| 60/6 enf|

Total levels gained since nov 2002 |2500+ |

7 years to ding 220, any better?

Originally posted by HidaReign
    Thats because when you set AO to run off of Monitor 2 you are splitting your videocard's bandwidth by 50%. Monitor 1 never shuts of but monitor 2 sucks 50% bandwidth to run itself. So its always a very bad idea to run games in dual display mode or off of monitor 2

Hehe sorry that is Dual Head Video Card 101
    Wizard's First Rule, people are stupid.
    Wizard's Eigth Rule- Deserve Victory. -Terry Goodkind / Author

My 100th post!

I Am A: Chaotic Good Elf Ranger
    Find outWhat D&D Character Are You?

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

I was thinking about that. I was going to tinker with sync settings, and maybe adding more ram. like a gig more. I seems if i move the windowed mode around and its not centered the performance lags, but if its perfectly centered on the first monitor it dont. Maybe a v-sync Issue, Not sure yet.
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Busted.
    Grounded.