Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I miss the animated series!

First, thanks for putting that CaptFallout post. He was an ass but he was very, very often right. I would also suggest reading the Lorekeep goodbye post here:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...?threadid=6911

Lorekeep was one of the most active role-players, led one of the largest clans and was a long-time Funcom supporter.

Originally posted by Kirrana
    When FC outlined the story would run in a span for 4 years, plus they out lined the so called main players. In all this would hint to the fact that someone had written the story.

There are writings from Ragnar all over the place which verify this. The story is written (and actually the finale leaked a good while back) but we were supposed to have a role in it. The story was supposed to happen in-game.

For example the pumpkin heads, and the cyborgs, it was hard so see where they fitted in and after the dust brigade it was almost as if they never existed.

For those of you that were not around, when the game launched everyone wondered and wondered when the storyline would start. Finally we were told October 31 and everyone logged on then (many skipped work or school). People logged on expecting to FINALLY be able to join the Sentinels, Omni-Pol, the Knights, etc. People expected to FINALLY start the Omni vs. clans war that we all signed up for. Orgs had scouts stationed in cities, outposts, and on the grid so that when the attacks came they could get everyone where they needed to be. What we got was an EQ style dungeon (complete with camping, griefing and training) and some new mobs running around that disappeared after a month or so.

We are STILL waiting to join those groups and get our orders. We are STILL waiting for the story missions (these were supposed to be like regular missions only they would affect the storyline). We are STILL wondering what the Sentinels and Knights and others were doing during the Cyborg wars, during the Rudruum mess, during the amnesty, during that horrid little show-trial, etc., etc., ad nauseum...

Also remember that Ragnar was reassigned to Funcom's next MMORPG (Midgard) until everyone was taken off that project and reassigned to AO to try and counter the spiraling player base and income stats. So he wrote the story and then was really no more than an advisor.

Only its hard to see how the shadowlands fits into story line at all, perhaps the biggest worry is do we have to buy shadowlands to get the story ?

I can see how Shadowlands can be worked into the storyline, knowing what I know about the finale. I don't think it was there before and I don't think it is necessary. I also don't think you will have to buy shadowlands to get the story, though if there is any chance that anyone will be able to participate in the story then I think it will be in shadowlands (in a epic quest style). I suspect that there are things that need to be rescued from shadowlands and perhaps very high level players will finally be able to participate in the storyline through that.

That is PURE conjecture, however! It is based on more than just imagination, but it is still conjecture.

Ignore the problems we have had, is the story what you expected ?

Answered here: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=25630

My apologies if any of the above is incorrect, it is how I remember it.

Scorus

Re: Re: Re: Ragnar... you're underestimating the negative effect...

Originally posted by Myers
    You know this is not true. The video was planned. Amnesty is a dyamic story element. Dust Brigade are very important, and thier attacks make the game interactive.

First, I don't post things that I know are not true. You will find yourself much more welcome and respected on the boards if you don't start your posts by calling someone a bald-faced liar.

That said, you are right about the video. I asked a friend after reading your post and he reminded me that they had been planned beforehand. My bad.
    I have long contended that the amnesty was actually a convenient bug and mechanics problem work-around that they could make into a storyline element because they really had nothing else to offer.
    The Dust Brigade had potential (like the Manteze War, remember that?) but has been reduced to bored GMs and ARKs ganking people. There are numerous old threads about this, and in each case either Cosmik or Cz ended up saying something to the effect of 'sorry, we're taking a fresh look at how we do events.'
    I am pretty sure that Funcom admitted that the Steps of Madness and pumpkins didn't have anything to do with the storyline. It had a story associated with it, but it was not part of the clan vs. Omni story. This was after everyone was screaming "You call THIS a storyline?!?" after the October 31 debacle.

I wonder how you could possibly think all this stuff is not productive to the story.

You are in the fourth generation of defenders of AO's storyline, by my count. The first three were: "The storyline WILL start on October 31, they just have to fully recover from launch"; "Sure, the storyline has started slow but things are really gearing up!"; "They just stopped doing events during the holidays since people were gone but they'll start again real soon"; and now "They always said that the storyline would take a break in the Summer, so that is what is happening."

The first three generations have pretty much given up and dropped (I was in the first generation, btw). My old clan: the Knights of Avalon, mostly dropped out of the game (a few of us joined another clan but are playing only very sporadically now). I still see clans trying to goad Funcom into starting a storyline, just the other day Utildai and his clan were picketing the Council HQ demanding action. Not action against anyone in particular, just action. ANY action. And that pretty much sums up the depths to which our desires have fallen: all we want from you people is a VERB!

The movies never had anything to do with the storyline. The player interaction with the cyborg storyline consisted of fending off half a dozen attacks. Battles only, no RP. The Manteze War were never even mentioned in the movies. With the exception of an appearance by Ross and Radiman, the other characters never appeared in-game (and when Ross appeared, an Omni player tried to assassinate him and was never punished by Omni-Tek). After the bombing of Omni-1, players spent weeks searching for the Dust Brigade HQ so that they could launch an assault on it, only to finally be told it wasn't in-game.

Sorry to bring everyone down about the storyline. But these are the facts as I remember them.

Scorus

Originally posted by Scorus
    There are writings from Ragnar all over the place which verify this. The story is written (and actually the finale leaked a good while back) but we were supposed to have a role in it. The story was supposed to happen in-game.
    The finale was leaked? Why didn't I get that memo? It's kinda hard for the finale to have leaked when even I don't know what the finale is...don't you think?

Seriously - while we have planned for certain Big Things to happen (like the Dust Brigade returning to blow up a building in Omni-1 and terrorising everyone), the finale to the four-year storyline ain't one of them. Besides, there are only two people who know all the deep, dark secrets of the AO universe - present, past, and future - and they ain't talkin'!

For those of you that were not around, when the game launched everyone wondered and wondered when the storyline would start. Finally we were told October 31 and everyone logged on then (many skipped work or school). People logged on expecting to FINALLY be able to join the Sentinels, Omni-Pol, the Knights, etc. People expected to FINALLY start the Omni vs. clans war that we all signed up for. Orgs had scouts stationed in cities, outposts, and on the grid so that when the attacks came they could get everyone where they needed to be. What we got was an EQ style dungeon (complete with camping, griefing and training) and some new mobs running around that disappeared after a month or so.
    The beginning of the official storyline on October 31st of last year certainly wasn't what everyone expected...or wanted...or enjoyed. It was simply an episode - both in terms of the video and in terms of what was presented in-game - timed to coincide with Halloween. It was a bit silly, and that was the point (you can blame me for the Pumpkinheads and Eleena and Corkey). It was an enjoyable diversion, I think, but not what everyone thought they were going to get. And the way you present it, I can definitely see why people were upset.

We are STILL waiting to join those groups and get our orders. We are STILL waiting for the story missions (these were supposed to be like regular missions only they would affect the storyline). We are STILL wondering what the Sentinels and Knights and others were doing during the Cyborg wars, during the Rudruum mess, during the amnesty, during that horrid little show-trial, etc., etc., ad nauseum...
    You bring up a good point: What were/are the Sentinels and the Knights doing? What was/is their reaction to events that transpire? How do the story clans and departments work? What's the Council's or Omni-Tek's position on critical policies and actions committed by the players? Pieces are missing.

Also remember that Ragnar was reassigned to Funcom's next MMORPG (Midgard) until everyone was taken off that project and reassigned to AO to try and counter the spiraling player base and income stats. So he wrote the story and then was really no more than an advisor.
    Advisor? Hey! Actually, those facts are a bit...uh, very wrong. But who cares - it's past history. Point is, the Midgard team's focus - once that project had been put on hold - was the story. After December, there was no Midgard team anymore: everyone had been assimilated into the live team.

I can see how Shadowlands can be worked into the storyline, knowing what I know about the finale. I don't think it was there before and I don't think it is necessary. I also don't think you will have to buy shadowlands to get the story, though if there is any chance that anyone will be able to participate in the story then I think it will be in shadowlands (in a epic quest style). I suspect that there are things that need to be rescued from shadowlands and perhaps very high level players will finally be able to participate in the storyline through that.
    Again with the finale! How can you possibly, possibly know? Maybe you've visited the future, talked with future-Ragnar (or tortured him, more likely, as he wouldn't give up the information without a good fight), and returned to the present as a finale-Messiah, all-knowing in things that are unknowable. Or something.

And the Shadowlands? They are an integral part of the story. We work on the story all the time. It's not set in stone, otherwise there wouldn't be any point to it. The Shadowlands tie into Jobe and the Omega and the...uh, 'nuff said

My apologies if any of the above is incorrect, it is how I remember it.
    You got a few things wrong, so - apologies accepted!

-Ragnar

Friday Afternoon

It's friday afternoon and these serious, stoic topics need ligtening up a little.

So...

Yes! I have a time machine, and *I* went into the future and tortured future-Ragnar and now I know all!

Ragnar: If you ever hear the words 'pistachio nuts' used in a discussion about dentistry, then flee. Flee to the hills. And scream a bit too.

Someone very close to you will betray you.

OOooooooooooo
    Crazynotion - Atrox Bureaucrat, RK1

Formerly posted as Mechanita

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ragnar... you're underestimating the negative effect...

I have long contended that the amnesty was actually a convenient bug and mechanics problem work-around that they could make into a storyline element because they really had nothing else to offer.
    If you've read "Prophet Without Honour", you'll remember that Ross refers to the amnesty in chapter...uh, it's somewhere in there. I wrote it. I should know. So it was part of the planned story for a good while.

The Dust Brigade had potential (like the Manteze War, remember that?) but has been reduced to bored GMs and ARKs ganking people. There are numerous old threads about this, and in each case either Cosmik or Cz ended up saying something to the effect of 'sorry, we're taking a fresh look at how we do events.'
    The Dust Brigade have been silent for a while, now. Silent...but not forgotten. And not gone. Oh no.

I have fond memories of the early Dust-to-Dust attacks; quiet, peaceful country folk being viciously attacked and mowed down, slaughtered by hooded madmen. Yay!

I am pretty sure that Funcom admitted that the Steps of Madness and pumpkins didn't have anything to do with the storyline. It had a story associated with it, but it was not part of the clan vs. Omni story. This was after everyone was screaming "You call THIS a storyline?!?" after the October 31 debacle.
    Here's the thing. Our approach to the storyline was always more "TV-show" than "novel" or "movie" - in other words, major arcs tying everything together, but with standalone episodes and events that told their own little stories. In this case, however, there was actually a connection, albeit a minor one: The guy who manifested the Pumpkinheads worked with insurance technology, which, again, connects with the Shadowlands. It didn't work as well as it should have, but there you go. We're going to focus more on the main story in the future.

The movies never had anything to do with the storyline. The player interaction with the cyborg storyline consisted of fending off half a dozen attacks. Battles only, no RP. The Manteze War were never even mentioned in the movies. With the exception of an appearance by Ross and Radiman, the other characters never appeared in-game (and when Ross appeared, an Omni player tried to assassinate him and was never punished by Omni-Tek). After the bombing of Omni-1, players spent weeks searching for the Dust Brigade HQ so that they could launch an assault on it, only to finally be told it wasn't in-game.
    The movies definitely had a lot to do with the storyline. Alright, so you couldn't meet up with Eleena or Joshua, but that doesn't mean they didn't live in the same world. If they'd started walking down the main street in Tir, they'd have a line of 200 players following right behind. Not very immersive. After all, Eleena and Joshua were supposed to be regular people - representatives of the players themselves - meeting up with the "celebrities", Ross and Radiman, and others.

The only solid rumour that I'm aware of regarding the Dust Brigade's headquarters place them somewhere in the Outzone, the non-terraformed regions. Players cannot enter the Outzone, not at this point. There's no atmosphere out there, the region's off-limits to everyone but terraforming personnel...and it's not in the game.

This doesn't mean the Dust Brigade has been written out, or left hanging, or forgotten. They're there. Hiding. Waiting.

-Ragnar

Re: Friday Afternoon

Originally posted by Mechanita
    Yes! I have a time machine, and *I* went into the future and tortured future-Ragnar and now I know all!

Ragnar: If you ever hear the words 'pistachio nuts' used in a discussion about dentistry, then flee. Flee to the hills. And scream a bit too.

Someone very close to you will betray you.
    Oh. My. God.

Dentistry. Pistachio nuts. Betrayal.

The pieces add up. The scriptures were right. Everything fits together into an insanely twisted - but deliciously strawberry-flavoured! - jigsaw puzzle of unspeakable, Stygian darkness...

...oh God, there's something at the window, the window!

The horror! The HORROR!

One of my concerns, as a org leader on RK2, is if the stories, when/if they ever re-emerge, will be provided on both RK1 and RK2 (and German Server)?

So far on RK2, we have had rollerrat invasion of Rome, a cyborg/mutant attack on Lush Outpost, a couple of malfunctioned slayerdroids in Lush Resort and Trade, and some mysterious figure leaving the grid and hiding in Omni HQ. If I left out clan events, then I am unaware of them.

Other than that, I know of a GM sponsored swim contest/bathing suit contest that was a fiasco as several guild leaders provided the prizes, and alot of the low level contestants got eaten by the piranhas in Newland City Lake.

So, if you are going to revive the storyline, do we get it also on RK2, or is it for teh special people who signed up on RK1?

Also, wasn't there talk ages ago, last October if I remember, that eventually the 2 dimensions would be able to merge? Whatever happened to that?
    Chang "Nortsrum" Brockmeyer,
    President/Commander-in-Chief,
    Division 3 [Omni Reclamation] -- RK2

Originally posted by Ragnar
    The finale was leaked? Why didn't I get that memo? It's kinda hard for the finale to have leaked when even I don't know what the finale is...don't you think?
    Hmmm, good to know. Just before launch one of the many sites that was following AO talked about what would happen at the end. It was all very logical and has fit with the book and everything else quite well, so I had never had reason to doubt it. I thought that it was an interview with you, in fact, but it was so long ago I won't swear to it. It was talking about a messianic end with David returning to lead the clans. Good to know it was just a guess.

It was an enjoyable diversion, I think, but not what everyone thought they were going to get. And the way you present it, I can definitely see why people were upset.
    With all due respect, is this news to you? The boards were full of people saying what their guilds were doing on October 31st, the day that the interactive storyline was supposed to start. When I wasn't running around trying to figure out where we go to join the Knights of Avalon, I was stationed in the grid ready to direct traffic to the various battles. The boards have been full, since launch, of people saying what they expected from the storyline. Would it have killed you guys to take an hour and tell us what we were really going to get?

Pieces are missing.

You'll understand if I consider this an understatement? Whole sections of the planet are devoted to these organizations and yet they might as well not exist. They are as interactive as the boulders or buildings. Less so, we can't even accidentally run into them.

You got a few things wrong, so - apologies accepted!
    Figured I would, that's why I included that caveat. I may be an ass, but I admit when I'm wrong.

Okay, so we know what we have gotten so far. I have an easy question for you: Can we expect the storyline to be more interactive in the future and can we expect it to occur in-game?

Follow-ups: When will we be allowed to join the NPC clans and departments? When will missions that affect the storyline be implemented?

Rubi-Ka has disintegrated into a world where the difference between Omni-Tek and the Clans comes down to which equipment we can wear and which machines we use. It is impossible to find a high level team in Bliss that doesn't have members from both 'sides'. So many of the role-players have given up it is sad.

I'm rambling. Sorry.

Scorus

Originally posted by Nistul
    One of my concerns, as a org leader on RK2, is if the stories, when/if they ever re-emerge, will be provided on both RK1 and RK2 (and German Server)?
    Cz did address that question a bit in his first Community Answers post, though the answer wasn't very definite. You can see what he said here:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=35201

It was at least nice to finally get an acknowledgement that it (and the storyline) were problems.

Scorus

Well, a couple things.

Radiman spoke! Yes via the story site. Did not crash a zone and let everyone know that he is alive. I didn't check. Is this in the launcher like it should be? Was there a Voice of Freedom announcement hinting that players should check the Story site?

Second thing. I see a 'greenie' in Borealis talking to a well known roleplayer. For an hour! Why are these resources being wasted on one player and his buddies? This does not affect the general populace and is a crying shame in my opinion. Much better if he were posing as a General in the Knights and walking around Camelot offering moral support to the Clanners gathered there.

Third, if David returning and tipping the scales in favor of the 'good' people when the immortality properties of Notum are revealed and Omni-Teks true reason for their interest in Rubi'Ka are revealed is not a major part of the story climax, I'm hooked to see what happens after the Shadowlands are opened. I've insisted that the opening of the Shadowlands is more a 'season' 3 or 4 plot movement that has been rushed in an effort to save the game. We all know that humanity was kicked out of Rubi'Ka by the creators and not the Garden of Eden and that Omni-Tek (at its core) is the devil incarnate in amalgam.

How about some reassurance that the struggle to thwart Omni-Tek's control of the Shadowlands is really 'season two' and there will be more to see in 'season' 3 and 4 than simply the denouement of Rubi'Ka settling down after the defeat of the evil core of Omni-Tek and their 'Unicorns'. I'll be impressed if we get more than the 'good' people of both Omni-Tek and the Clans having to join together to fight a power greater than we simply see Omni-Tek as now to ensure the future of humanity.

Oh, did I mention Radiman spoke?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ragnar... you're underestimating the negative effect...

First, I don't post things that I know are not true. You will find yourself much more welcome and respected on the boards if you don't start your posts by calling someone a bald-faced liar.
    [/B]
    Sorry, I was just a little angry about you critizieing things I liked about the story. (Especially the Dust Brigade) Even if they were bored GMs I thought it was fun. Alot of this is opinion. Some people didn't like the way the story was being told, some people liked the way the story was being told. People had expectations, back then mine were surpassed.

Several of those Dust Brigade attacks occurred in 75% cities as people returned to save. The GMs, 250+ level characters pretty much impervious to attacks, even chased players into stores to finish them off. West Athen was especially hard hit for awhile there.

Given all the wonderful event ideas that have been talked about on these boards, what made them think that turning invulnerable and ganking unsaved players would be what we wanted?

Scorus

Your right about the fact that the Dust Brigade and other related things shouldn't go on a random shooting spree, they should always have a purpose in mind. But Cptfallout mentioned that when there was the attack on Guild leaders and they were assassinated, that they should have been given the chance to fight back. I can see fighting if the guild leaders had guards, but the only chance the guild leader should be given is a chance to escape. And that would be an achivement if he or she was able to. The Dust Brigade should be allowed to strike fear in the hearts of the populous, they should be very hard to deafeat. The fact that we have no access to Dust Brigade HQ is part of the mystery. Who are these people? Why do they hate us? If there was a HQ (so early in the story) and we go counterattack then thats it, the mystery is gone. The fear is gone. How could we be afraid of something that we defeat. I guess the point I'm making is just because we don't have control over a situation doesn't make it interactive. What makes it interactive is the fact that we are desperately trying to gain control in a confused and crazy situation. Or just trying to escape the danger altogether. Be a hero, go warn people whats happening on the other side of the city, or go try to kill the attackers, or redirect thier fire. In the case of the Dust Brigade you probably end up losing. Then after it's all over there's the fear. When will they strike next? Who will they hit? Where will they do it? How many people are in danger? Is it safe to walk down this road or is the Dust Brigade down there having a secret meeting ready to shoot intruders on the spot?

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Second thing. I see a 'greenie' in Borealis talking to a well known roleplayer. For an hour! Why are these resources being wasted on one player and his buddies? This does not affect the general populace and is a crying shame in my opinion. Much better if he were posing as a General in the Knights and walking around Camelot offering moral support to the Clanners gathered there.
    Heh. Okey. For the 1243 time: Most "greenies" are ARKs, voulunteer players, that want to use their power and dedication to bring some people some events, some RP'ing, and similar. Every time I see one of those greenies, even if I'm not involved I get more happy. End.
    "I wont let my precious comrades die..."
    207|11 Equimon Solitus Soldier
    150|0 Wildcardz Atrox Enforcer
    092|0 Bloodnerve Solitus Doctor
    075|0 Layered Opifex Meta-Physist
    030|0 Gunpriest Solitus Ranged Keeper Gunpriest Chronicles <- Currently Under Construction

Several of those Dust Brigade attacks occurred in 75% cities as people returned to save. The GMs, 250+ level characters pretty much impervious to attacks, even chased players into stores to finish them off. West Athen was especially hard hit for awhile there.

Given all the wonderful event ideas that have been talked about on these boards, what made them think that turning invulnerable and ganking unsaved players would be what we wanted?

Scorus
    Invulnerable? That's odd. I can 100% claim that me and fellow Omni citizen killed about 5 of them idiots, in ONE attack on Entertainment.
    030|0 Gunpriest Solitus Ranged Keeper Gunpriest Chronicles <- Currently Under Construction

Cool, was it a good role-playing experience? Did you feel like you were participating in the storyline or just fighting someone with a green name instead of a white one?

Scorus

Cool, was it a good role-playing experience? Did you feel like you were participating in the storyline or just fighting someone with a green name instead of a white one?

Scorus
    I felt very good. And btw, DBs are in the story, 2nd thing, they have white names.

Equimon

Wink

I think this is the thread Ragnar is using to bump up his post count.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123