Thread: Why are Omni and Clan at war when they can't really war?

Why are Omni and Clan at war when they can't really war?

If Omni and Clan are at war, why is it we can't kill each other anywhere, anytime? Wouldn't that make more sense? Shouldn't clanners be killed on sight in any omni territory, and Omni killed on sight in any Clan territory? I think everywhere should have 25% gas.

As it is Omni and Clan are only at war every now and then. I think it is stupid to see Omni running around Tir, going to the arena etc. I also think it is stupid to see Clanners running around Omni-1. The guards in the cities should be A LOT stronger and much more numerous to prevent this.

I gotta admit, I'm not interested in PvP whatsoever in this game.

So, I'm glad there's not open war everywhere.

This would be a great idea... if PVP weren't the domain of griefers, gankers, and juvenile behavior... bwahaha *bursts out laughing* yeah right.

I'd rather see every zone be 75% - the biggest hits to outdoor hunting in this game were when Mort and Eastern Foul Plains turned into PVP zones.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

PvP

I'm not interested in PvP either, as I'm just a casual, non-twink gamer, but I agree that there should be more, stronger guards posted in cities, (guards that we can heal and assist if needed, too).

As far as teaming with clanners, I choose not to as part of my loyalty to Omni-Tek. I will not buff them, either. This is only my choice, but I think that the game should not allow teaming or buffing the other side.

.. just putting in my $0.02 ..
    Cyrus "d'Artagnan" Bacarella
    Solitus Fixer for the Omni-Tek Corporation
    President of Draco Legionis
    Draco is Family, Legions Unite!

"The darkness must go down the river of nights dreaming...
    Flow morphia slow, let the sun and light come streaming...
    Into my life."

I think that the "war" should be more open and on-going thats why I got the game. Also the lvl dif should not apply in "war zones" I can understand it but IRL that dont matter. Also the "war" would be going alot better. Yeah it may not be fair a lvl100 against a lvl20 but imagine side A having 20 50-100+ LVL's and side B having 5 lvl50-100+ and 30 or so lvl20's or what not..could be fun and then it could make a dif.. #'s can count. It kinda sucks not being able to take part in a campaign until you R like a lvl40 or better..Thats alot of missions!
    bla

I feel that the problem is that 'war' isn't really the story. They added pvp for marketing purposes. But if you look at the story of AO, it's a bit bigger then killing scummy clanners cause you're omni. I also have a strong su****ion that Funcom is going to use Shadowlands as their real game, and all this has just been a way to test stuff.

That said, to make the conflict more interesting and real (if this was wanted by Funcom), they should have implemented at least the following. No name recognition between sides. As an omni, all clanner names would be in the following format: 'A Veteran Clan Doctor' etc. No teaming between sides. Stronger guards then the ones anyone can kill solo in each other's cities. Modifiable supression gas so some on the ball GMs can hold 'events' where it could drop in omni ent, as an army of clanners popped in. Keep it down for a while so after the inital slaughter, omni can respond. Etc.

But, I strongly feel that pvp was an afterthought that didn't really fit with their story.

Talking Yeah

I agree Zylina, it feels like the pvp system was duct-taped into the game and not thought out at all.

However, Clanners are not scummy.. Really, I had a shower and Im not scummy at all, I smell clean and fresh and there isnt a trace of scum anywhere on me except between my toes.. Shouldnt have told you about my toe scum.. Damnit.. Anyhow Omni is scummy not Clan hehe

To the initial post by dr. beer (good nick by the way): 100 lvl 20's would be hard pressed to kill a good lvl 200 character, numbers mean jack-squat.

low attack rating vs high evades = miss every time.
    high attack rating vs low evades = crit every time.
    low max damage & attack rating vs high armor class = minimum hits every time.
    high max damage & attack rating = huge hits (though usually crits, and 1 crit from a lvl 200 will kill a lvl 20 guy).
    lvl 20= bad buffs, bad ac, bad weapons (even if they are shoe-horned into the biggest baddest equipment they can).
    lvl 200= muuuuuuch better

The problem is that at lvl 75, you are free game to anyone over lvl 75. And as is stated in atleast 2 other big-bump threads, that is poo. PVP in AO right now seems made for twinks/ebayers/alts and is gears for lvls 1-74, 140-200. leaving a big gap in the middle where you are fodder to be "LoL'd" after you die. It needs changing, most sensible people agree.

Jabba.

PS: I am a firm believer that making pvp more doable to the masses will make AO more fun for EVERYONE.
    Devil's Advocate is cooler than you.

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance."
    - George Bernard Shaw

The only problem is that the Clans are not at war with Omni-Tek. The last war ended quite a few years ago in the planet's timeline when the Tir Accords were signed. All we have now are some trigger happy yahoos who enjoy killing other people apparently for the fun of it.

Check out history if you don't believe it.

Perhaps some time in the future the planet will be at war again. It isn't now.

not bad - but it should work in same way it worked with neutrals. Let me explain what i mean. If a clan is in omni he cannot attack any omni member, but every omni can attack the clan. Same as neutrals - they cannot attack but we can attack them. And last if a omni is in clan area he cannot attack clan until some clan attacks him first. Think about this - i think this would be a great feature.

Bio:
    Hostilities were declared again after the refusal of the CoT to help in the investigation of the Dust Brigade... while "Hostile" isn't war, it certainly gives a KoS nature to the opposing side. I know in 1980 if a Russian spy was in America there would be plenty of people that would not think twice about shooting him.
    Intenseheat: Omni MA, ph33r teh ub3r l337
    Preeminence: Omni crat - hopelessly gimped - lost 180K IP trying to reset skills - ph33r teh ub3r t33th
    Omniwins: Omni soldier, always winning

I'm just an ass that happens to be smart.

Re: PvP

Originally posted by Dartagnan
    I'm not interested in PvP either, as I'm just a casual, non-twink gamer, but I agree that there should be more, stronger guards posted in cities, (guards that we can heal and assist if needed, too).

As far as teaming with clanners, I choose not to as part of my loyalty to Omni-Tek. I will not buff them, either. This is only my choice, but I think that the game should not allow teaming or buffing the other side.

.. just putting in my $0.02 ..
    i agree.

i really do not like pvp. seems pvp in this game is all about twinking little brats who can't fight without super-duper equipment and ganking......this coming from someone who was killed in his car, with no buffs or pet, headed to a grid terminal.
    -------------
    Myles "Tahrus" Barchus
    CEO Freedom News Networks Inc., RK2
    Bureaucrat, Media Mogul, and all-around good guy!

Check out my PvP PK flag idea in this thread: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=39717

* It makes ganking harder (You have to accept the consequences of your actions)

* It "spreads" the war out, with fighting possible all over the place.

* It does all this without upsetting the people who don't want to fight other players at all.

All by adding one little "flag".

I think it has probably been suggested before, but I am taking credit for this version.
    C.M.O.T. Raymote - Loyal (They pay better) OmniTek Trader
    Omni-ECPCS

Rimmer: After intensive investigation, comma, of the markings on the alien pod, comma, it has become clear, comma, to me, comma, that we are dealing, comma, with a species of awesome intellect, colon.
    Holly: Good. Perhaps they might be able to give you a hand with your punctuation.

The Bob

I like the pvp system that was on the mud(s) (DikuII/Vme) i played.
    It was called The Book of Blood (Bob), if you choose to sign it, you became an open target everywhere, and there was no turning back. So the idea is quite simple, have an option to turn PvP on, and once its on it cant be turned off. It starts turned off ofcourse.

With a feature like this, the war can be fought everywhere, and those that doesnt care about PvP, can just stand on the side line safe and sound and watch

Personally i dont like PvP, but i will argu for it, since i think its a thing that should be part of any (rpg) game. But you shouldnt be forced into PvP.

Just my thoughts....

I have made a suggestion on improving the warfare between OT and clan in this Thread.
    That should not require too much rewrite of code, and if it did, it would be worth it.