Thread: Game Mechanics part I: Why is there a Map Navigation skill?

Lightbulb Game Mechanics part I: Why is there a Map Navigation skill?

Map Navigation:
    “This skill determines what type of map implants you can run and how much information you are able to receive from them” – AO manual

Why do we have Map Navigation? To load maps and map add-ons.

Ok, but WHY?

Having a map makes life easier. Having add-ons to show creatures and mobs and sides even easier but then is also influenced by perception.

I can understand not wanting a low level to have easy access in a high level zones. The devs might want ‘a feeling of danger’ that they are out in the wilds, lost. But if that’s the case, then why not have level limits on them?

I don’t think that is the reason at all. I think map navigation is actually a IP sink. It’s the only skill that cannot be reset. It’s one of the few skills that cannot be buffed. I gives people who spend IP in the skill and advantage hunting than people who have not. But yet, most people don’t have IP’s to burn till after 150. So you have to make a choice. Be able to find a place easier and gimp yourself and be able to hunt easier and be lost.

I mean we have satellites in orbit but yet cannot see zone so-and-so till level 100. That makes no sense.

Now I can understand a clan soldier not having a Omni HQ map. That makes game sense.

It’s seems to me that this places an undo burden on low/mid level characters.

So I’d like opinions on why it’s a skill.

But yet, most people don’t have IP’s to burn till after 150. So you have to make a choice. Be able to find a place easier and gimp yourself and be able to hunt easier and be lost.....

It’s seems to me that this places an undo burden on low/mid level characters.

For an investment around 10k IPs, every player can get the monster map upgrade....

You can upload the maps for most popular zones with an IP expenditure of less than 20k.

You don't need to have "IPs to burn" to boost up map nav. It's a cheap skill for every profession.

Nobody is forced to raise map nav, but those who choose have a definite advantage over those who dont. I mean, the advantages should be pretty obvious.

I really don't understand your question or issue with it.

Each IP you spend is supposed to improve your character.

Having a map and upgrades to a playfield allows your player to get to their destination more quickly and avoid potentially dangerous areas.

The only important things in map nav is the people and monster upgrades. Side isn't really important and all maps are pointless now. Just press U to bring up your world map and center on player. It's more useful then the "map" ever was. Yes you can't see mobs outside, but you can learn to counter that by using your camera correctly.

Miir,

I have no idea where you got you numbers.

I created a Sol MA using Skill emulator

At level 100 with all Max abilites to hit 300 in map

(base of 81) its' 50,000 ip's

To hit 410 (max) it's 111,000 ip's. With a 410 and implants you just might be able to hit the 600 req's for Avalon

That's the same about of Ip to max Comp lit from 81 to 410.

Thats what I'm talking about.

10k No biggie. 111k is a big deal

Yes, it is a big deal. That is why you are rewarded by it by enabling use of the maps.

However, only going to 200 map nav isnt so much of a big deal, and you still get nearly all of them, dont you? So they have made allpwances for the people you are talking about already.
    I like the game as it is right now.

Make a set of map implants and be done with it. Maps can't be OE'd after all
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

IMO mapnav is nice to have maps, *but* there are not enough reasons to have the outdoor maps since well.. there is no hunting outdoors.

• Mapnav+adventuring should be used for tracking of mobs (yes named ones too)
    • there should be many more maps than actually exist in game now, some suggestions are.
      *low req black map that shows mission X's, terminals, and doors (even if the player has mobs, people, and side upgrades).
      *slightly higher black map that shows mobs as well (even if the player has people, and side upgrades)
      *slightly higher black map that shows terminals, mobs and players (but not side)
      *slightly higher textured map that shows items, mobs, and players (but not side)
      *slightly higher textured map that shows everything including side (if player owns the side upgrade)
      *slightly higher textured map that shows everything and gives a small AMS/DMS bonus in that zone because of the high resolution satelite scan that they connect to neurally
      having so many things like that allows everyone to see the map in some way while actually making people feel like their IP in mapnav was useful in some way.

Originally posted by Blackfoot
    Miir,

I have no idea where you got you numbers.

I created a Sol MA using Skill emulator

At level 100 with all Max abilites to hit 300 in map

(base of 81) its' 50,000 ip's

To hit 410 (max) it's 111,000 ip's. With a 410 and implants you just might be able to hit the 600 req's for Avalon

That's the same about of Ip to max Comp lit from 81 to 410.

Thats what I'm talking about.

10k No biggie. 111k is a big deal

At level 50, make some nav implants.
    QL80s will get you about +90.

Monster upgrade at 130 nav.

40 nav costs about 1500 IPs for most professions.
    I was overestimating where 10k IPs gets you to 100 nav.

PM, BS, Mort and most playfields inbetween don't exceed 200 nav.
    A set of QL125 nav imps gives about 135.
    Throw in another 20-30 points from associated attributes and you really only need to bump up to 140.

Roughly 17k IPs for professions with the worst nav skill.

Where's the issue?

You guys really confuse me. IP numbers, 200 for Mort, 600 for Avalon.... Aaaaah!

BTW I'm so going to get 700 map nav before long.... and be one of the 3 people with the Belial Forest map uploaded

Re: Game Mechanics part I: Why is there a Map Navigation skill?

Originally posted by Blackfoot
    I can understand not wanting a low level to have easy access in a high level zones. The devs might want ‘a feeling of danger’ that they are out in the wilds, lost. But if that’s the case, then why not have level limits on them?
    DONT EVEN GO THERE!
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Originally posted by reality
    You guys really confuse me. IP numbers, 200 for Mort, 600 for Avalon.... Aaaaah!

BTW I'm so going to get 700 map nav before long.... and be one of the 3 people with the Belial Forest map uploaded
    Galway is 600.

Go figure.
    Nobody over level 75 can get XP there.

It would be like having a 500 Nav req on Tir County.

I have every map uploaded

hehe.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

hmmm.. eating cookies...

I think the reason why there is a map skill is the breeds themselves.
    remember everything on rubi ka is either created or breed a certain way for certain areas.
    The breeds themselves have implants at birth. instead of having a map to carry around they have internal gps systems.
    "think in terms of a pda. in oder to get upgades to them your unit has to have these specific skills(software ,ram and so forth)
    when you get those things your pda can be upgraded."
    so in order to use better maps you have to update your internal os (IP) in that area. so even with sattelites in orbit these things are in our heads and need to be upgraded for areas,new/old.

I do upgrades for a living as a tech and to get better at them i need to "upgrade" my self from time to time thru study and training.
    an explanation of sorts.

for see people on map, how much skill navigation i need ?

I dont want to see if they are omni or clan,i wanna see only player on map.

thank

Originally posted by Kinkstaah
    I have every map uploaded

hehe.
    Your trophy is in the mail
    Fetamysicist
    Sentinull
    Phix001

BTW I'm so going to get 700 map nav before long.... and be one of the 3 people with the Belial Forest map uploaded [/B]
    Belial Forest only needs 400 map nav (http://aomainframe.info/showitem.asp?AOID=116664) I uploaded it at the weekend with a nice QL200 map nav implant set I made.

I think Perpetual Wasteland (700 m.nav) is the one you're on about
    Ghostimage ..[218.19 Doc]
    Redtail .........[218.14 Fix]
    Finmere .......[150.14 Enf]

anyone can teach me about map nav ?

Originally posted by genozzolo
    for see people on map, how much skill navigation i need ?

I dont want to see if they are omni or clan,i wanna see only player on map.

thank
    If I remember correctly, people upgrade is 90 map navi.

oh, one thing. regarding map navi not beeing resetable mentioned above....
    it's not resetable because of the upgrades. When FC gave us the reset-thingy, they would have to either make a way of removing mapupgrades when the skill was reset (and thus forcing us to buy new ones) or make it not resetable. The last option was the easiest.

If you COULD reset it, you'd spend a ton of IP into it, upload every map there is, then reset it again. That wouldn't be a proper way of doing things.

I would say :

1°) Take down Map Nav requirements under 250 for all map.
    2°) Sell high level zone maps for bazillions of creds
    3°) Remove them from mission terminal

That would mean : more money sink + less IP wasted.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)