Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Agh! Keep Episodes Alive!

Angry

scor again you fail to acknowledge the fact that the reason this is the last episode in production for now is because ITS THE END OF THE CHAPTER. The have said this FOR MONTHS. The Episodes/storylien will run in CHAPTERS. Sigh, stopping avoiding the facts to make them sway more torwards the money orientated discussion. If this was a money orientated issue, Alot more than cell phone games people would have been TEMPORARILY LAID OFF.

I understand where you are comming from but you fail to realize that these episodes run in 'seasonal chapters'. Gaute stated this along time ago.

Unhappy

What the hell gives you guys the impression that their question is moveis vs. ingame events?

Ingame events aren't terribly expensive to do. You need to have the characters and have people login to act them, and you maybe need some programmers to throw in some new code or automate an event.

How does cutting movies help that? You think the storyline dept is sitting there 8 hours a day 5 days a week writing the script for the next movie?

FC's question was on whether we liked the movies, not whether they should refocus. You can say that you like the ingame events MORE than the movies, but don't start throwing about negative attitudes towards the movies for the sake of ingame events.

FOr many of us, the movies have been the strongest link for us to the story; the events are often anti-climatic, laggy, impossible to attend for many, etc. I'm glad that some of you get to go to all of them, but the vast majority of us have never seen one. Without the movies, a lot of people would have left as a result.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Originally posted by Vrach
    What the hell gives you guys the impression that their question is moveis vs. ingame events?
    Well I don't know about the in-game events, but the resources used for the episodes would better be spent on new items and mob models, scripting quests and npc interaction, and new zones. Like I said before, once I'm in the game, the episodes don't improve my enjoyment one bit. Now those other items... That's a different story.

Keep the movies !!!

Please keep the movies. I really look forward to them.

Skara

yea ,keep em or ill never see my favorite truck Corky again

Originally posted by killahsin
    I understand where you are comming from but you fail to realize that these episodes run in 'seasonal chapters'. Gaute stated this along time ago.
    I haven't heard anything about this being the end of a "Chapter". Technically, every movie is a chapter of a book in itself. Anything event that happens could technically be thought of as a chapter. I really do hope they get things back on track after the Holiday Season. After all, after that, it isn't that much farther to May, when they really DO stop for 5 months...

I'm placing my bets on Wednesday, January 30th, 2002 for the return of the Movies. Any sooner might be too soon, any longer would make us all lose hope.

Arrow

lorekeep gaute talked about how the story would run in parts as in chapters i believe he stated they ran each chapter as 3 months so 4 chapters a year etc. This episode is the last episode to the chapter..

Angry god people don't understand what people mean when they ask, Do you like the movies...

crin maybe you shoudl check out some of the screenshots floating around the sites, seems to me the Team has made a TON of new models and are working on quite a few new dungeons, there are screenshots floating around. You just have to look. This resource isnt taking away from ANYTHING. The question is if you LIKE THEM.

Thumbs down Dropping the movies wouldn't bother me at all

...I say let them cut the movies...especially if it means they'd have that much more money/attention to pump into the actual game itself.

The animation was never consistent. Panoramics and scenery shots were terrific, as were the stylistic "credits"...but the bulk of these "movies", especially some of the character movement, looked downright rushed. And don't even bring up the inconsistent voice acting and absolutely awful lipsyncing.

I'd probably still download them if they were continued, but I'd rather have the resources focussed on what really matters, and that's gameplay...not an expensive and rushed-together external method of telling the story I'm supposed to be living.

Just my 5 credits...

- Rookie DrPhil
    60th OmniTek Doctor, Rubi-Ka 2
    Shadow Ops Member

Keep the episodes alive!! I anxiously await new ones to be released every Wednesday. In fact, I eagerly anticipate each new episode of AO more than anyhing on TV (since Babylon 5) A friend of mine who doesn't even own Anarchy Online is hooked on the animated episodes and follows them (and the story) closely

The episodes add that extra dimension that makes playing the game more meaningful. I don't normally play MMORPG but the reason I bought Anarchy Online is because it boasted a high level of immersion (storyline, graphics and music). IMHO, not releasing animated episodes would certainly decrease the level of immersion.

Please keep them coming!

- Valex

I sure hope they can keep the animated series alive, apart from Blizzard cutscenes those are themost interesting I have seen as far as I can remember.

The same goes for the book, I really liked it and hope Ragnar will write a second as the story progresses. I only wished they could have promoted it better, is it even sold regulary ? Can't find it at amazon, only digitalriver is selling it it seems, thats where I got it. That is really sad, as it is sure one of the better Sci-Fi books I read so far.

Agreed. Episodes add a whole new level to AO. Keep them coming!
    Taldrin | Titanioc | Teiral

I discovered the portal to another dimension!

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly.

Who are you? - http://quiz.ravenblack.net/videogame.pl

Thumbs up KEEP the animated episodes !!!!

They are so great!!!
    Really, it adds so much compared with the other games around...

I really find it the BEST way to tell a story. Text may be great to add more precision to the events... but the FEELING you get viewing the series is incomparable, and if the quality continue to improve like it seems... it will be even greater.

Please... if you want to attract more people to the game, it's not the moment to remove one of its most appealing feature: a background story that is shown in a very unique way.

Please! Keep the animated episodes!!!!

I'd just like to point out at this point that the movies are watched by us poor suckers who don't have cable modems. I have a 33.6 modem (I keep it because it's an internal one that'll install on any pc), and I download them. It takes time, but the amount the wmv format squeezes them is amazing.

As I said before, don't stop the movies!

Thumbs down

Well, since your servers cant handle any of the in game events you have held as of yet, I believe it to be in the best interest that you either:
    A: Keep the movies in lou of ingame events.
    B:Ugrade your servers so they can handle a heavy load
    C:Keep the movies untill you get your act together with some
    other form of events.

These are jst my thoughts, please feel free to respond.

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    I'm gonna throw my two cents into the movie hat. I say keep 'em in there. They lend a much required personality to the world of Rubi-Ka. Sure, there are interactive events in-game, both player run and FC sanctioned, but heck, they're about as personal as my daily newspaper. Guild A does action B. News at eleven!

Besides, while I don't know Elenna or any of the other big players, knowing that there are other characters in this world that don't treat Rubi-Ka (AO) as some glorified combat / spreadsheet simulator is down right warming.

As a final remark, I hate to bring it up, but think about this analogy from the Star Wars universe. If we didn't have strong characters such as Luke, Leia, Han, Darth, I seriously doubt that we'd be as enthralled by the news that "The rebels have yet stalled another construction project of the Empire"... News at eleven!

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

Thumbs up S.U.C.K.

Corky!, Corky!, Corky!, Corky!*

*brought to you by [COLOR=dark red]S.U.C.K. [/COLOR]

<<[COLOR=dark red]Save.Us.Corky.Kolition.[/COLOR]>>
    Kodiene
    Founding member of P.E.T.A.
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Atrox's
    PAINKILLR
    Mercenaries of Kai

"I personally think nerfs are death in an emergency patch. It is very cool to admit that there are a lot of things we can do boring, very boring in-game. Your input is being adjusted in some Fouls. I want to especially thank the players who WILL die.
    Have Fun! And I'll be seeing you online
    jonhelgi, designer - AO"

Yes. Keep making the episodes.
    Even if you (funcom) run out of money and resort to getting
    your design artists to making stick figure videos.

Hey, that will work too. It even cuts down on the bandwith. white background, black stick figures with hats and guns. And a square for corkey to represent the truck.

To write individial stick figures you can put bubbles above their heads, and say this is henry radiman. Do the voices too! even if you have to recruit the voice talents of 5th graders from a local highschool. You don't even have to pay them. Just promise them free 3 month access to AO.

Does anyone have Elena Oak's phone number? her cell ?

Tappert

I agree with Tappert's above post.

The movie adds a kind of personality to the world.

Also, that is what got me interested in AO in the first place, was that I found the movie episodes on the website. So, funcom you might be missing out on a form of "advertisement" in the form of episodes.

Now I just sound cheesy.

KEEP THE MOVIES!

People have said they don't give us anything...but they do.
    They give us the moods, and feelings of the powers that be. You don't get the feeling behind what Ross might be saying just reading a typical message. The tone of the voice, the atmosphere of the situation. It all goes to help our role playing. It's a majorly unique thing about AO which seperates it from all the crap out there. Yes I want more in game events, but without feeling are they really going anywhere? do we really want a few boring messages?

Keep the movies - We need atmosphere

p.s. keep Oak too, we need to have atleast one poor unfortunate Neut in this story somewhere other than the usual "ouch, I just been shot by that Omni scum", " Ouch I just been shot now by that Clan scum".
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast