Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Agh! Keep Episodes Alive!

Unhappy Agh! Keep Episodes Alive!

I want to start this thread to get all your thoughts on the Story Episodes so far. Funcom has just announced that this will be the last one for awhile, and unfortunatly I feel that they may never do them again given the cost. The movies have been a sort of cool thing to watch every 2 weeks, and I was hoping that they would be able to keep them going on that schedule. But that doesn't seem to be the case, and it looks like it won't be until Feburary or March til anything like this ever shows again, even if they continue to make them at all.

Man I don't even care if they have Flash Movies in the meantime. If they kill the movies, they really kill the only credible thing that might have been enjoyable for out of game entertainment. But I can understand if they stop, as it must cost a lot to make these movies.

I would appreciate all your thoughts. Articles and stuff just aren't going to cut it me thinks.

I completely agree my friend, I really don't want them to stop! Make them appear less often maybe (once in a month or even once every two months would be good), but definetely keep it!

My friends and I haven't been playing AO much lately because we're frustrated with the game's many problems and shortcomings.

That aside, around every two weeks we all faithfully watch the next episode in the series. It manages to keep part of our attention on the game, enough to try and wait things out until the day that Funcom turns Anarchy Online into the game they wanted it to be. For us, the movies flesh out the world and make it seem that much more real.. just enough to keep us interested enough in AO.

With as infrequently as we play lately, I can’t say we’d bother logging on anymore at all if it weren’t for the animated series. Getting rid of it, in my opinion, would be a sad mistake.

Thumbs up Keep them going

I've been pretty happy with the movies and have watched every episode.. The only thing that drives me crazy is the occasional speech with no lip movement but I do understand the amount of work that requires.

Anyways I like following those primary characters as its a high level view of whats going on - even if we cannot directly participate in that and so far the scripting has been done fairly well so its interesting to watch and I'm sure due to get more intriguing as time goes on.

must... keep... movies...

best... part... of... story...

Cut scenes... must have more... cut scenes

/me collapses
    The Interactor

"If it was easy, then everyone would do it"

please gaute...

Don't kill the episodes. I spent 2 months unable to play and the thing I looked forward to most were these episodes. They kept me paying you. If you kill them now it will be a major dissapointment. I understand things may not meet your or others expectations with them. Just give them a chance, please. The episodes give us an actual physical look into the lives of certain RK individuals and determining there livablitity based on 4 episodes is rediculous. I understand if you need to cancel them because you are finnacially strapped right now. If this is NOT the reason than do not nix them. If this is the reason let me know, and I will provide you a volunteer team to keep them going hehe. Seriously though, the episodes tie us into what is the story, and keep some of us playing waiting for them and or the next dungeon. If your strapped for cash release Jobe in a expansion pack or somthing. Please don't nixx the Episode department.

Lightbulb gaming standard

Actually,

This shouldn't be an option. They should really keep them going. All games these days have lots of cut-scenes in them as part of the standard $45 USD. We've all paid that and also pay $12/month, so we should not only continue to get the same rate of cut-scenes, but the quality should even improve!

No? Okay, just consider this my request to keep them going, I like them.
    A monkey will eat dirt.... if you make it

Please keep the episodes coming. They are a BIG part of what gives life to AO. Without the episodes characters like Ross and Radiman would be lifeless...just names on the web page.

These episodes are part of what keeps AO unique...and enjoyable. Keep them coming!
    "Maybe Funcom should move 1000 AO players into Clon****, lock down the zone and make dyeable armor to attract more players?"

A DaoC player defending AO

You have my full support to keep em going Funcom. Don't lose your distinction!

OK, so FC is suffering through financial woes. I can accept that and any resulting slowdown or degradation in service. I'm very reasonable like that, and I won't badmouth or drop AO because of it. In fact, I'll probably support it more.

But dropping anything, especially something as vital as the storyline movies, would be folly. Many people have a hard time role playing as is, and the movies are instrumental in developing the world, the conflict, and its characters. VERY important.

If need be, cut back to voiced comic strips, as mpegs, as Flash, as whatever; these could be turned out fairly quickly for many ingame events (such as the trial), and for larger storyline events. They would do just fine in keeping most people with it, and they would even add to the artistic flair and character that you have developed so far (the first movies, even though the animation was spotty, had a very nice comic strip-ish flair, with the blurred paused animation and voice overs, which is actually a lot what I'm talking about.

Don't drop the story any more than it is, FC. It is the only thing keeping a lot of people around at all.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Looks like I'm the lone dissenter at the moment. Funcom has just laid off 30 people. They laid off others earlier in the year (according to that article). At some point the choice comes down to spending your resources on the out-of-game versus the in-game storyline. Would you rather have movies or a working, non-beta game?

Scorus

Talking Yes - keep them alive

I have very much enjoyed the series and would be very dissapointed if it does not continue. Keep it up!!!

Originally posted by Scorus
    Looks like I'm the lone dissenter at the moment. Funcom has just laid off 30 people. They laid off others earlier in the year (according to that article). At some point the choice comes down to spending your resources on the out-of-game versus the in-game storyline. Would you rather have movies or a working, non-beta game?

Scorus
    Um, they aren't going to move people from video rendering to programming... these are different divisions. It is probably more a matter of renting the rendering farms.

Anyway, there are cheaper alternatives if they don't have the cash. Anyone who is watching for the story's sake won't care if it is 3d rendered or 2s drawn.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

I do hope they decide to continue the episodes. While it is not a replacement for in-game content, it is a welcome and unique, amongst MMORGs, addition to the game.
    Metaphysacist - Clan - Member of Twilight Night

Funcom has decided that everyone must now play Atroxs. 4 races and 2 sexes were too much for us. We are still working with the programmers to see if you will be allowed to keep your arms or your legs on your Atrox. Personally I hope they give everyone a choice. Have a nice day.

I certainly hope that they keep the episodes going. If they have to drop the frequency to every other month, that would be understandable but I do hope that they continue.

It's great to hear all the positive feedback on the movies! I really hope more people contribute so that Funcom will realize to keep them going. Come on guys! If you want to see the movies continue, contribute to this thread! If you don't well...contribute anyway, but get mass flaming! Heh. Just kidding. But I do like to see everyone be looking forward to more.

Keep them coming

Movies are nice. If it goes down to just articles, well...

I am begining to think what DOES this game offer except constant rule changes without refunds in IP, constant nerfin in name of "balance" (which you dont have a clue btw as shown by the nanos, equipment this game has/have/had).

Please. Someone release a Sci-Fi game soon. Fantasy is not an option but this game is getting boring REAL fast and I have 8 chars already.

Zarch and bunch of other characters.

PS. Having 8 chars is good that when FC trashes the profession in name of "balance" you can play another one. At the end they will be all same though so I will have 8 similar characters but oh well...

Talking

Maybe it's like a tv show where the first seasons over and you have to wait a few months for the 2nd season to start. Let's hope they pick it up for another season.

No, you're not alone Scorus

If Funcom is having money woes and would wisely use the money they save by canning the movies to improve the game, I'm all in support of the axe..

Originally posted by Scorus

Scorus

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast