Thread: Roleplay Server?

Roleplay server?

Hey, this has probably been brought up a few times but here it goes again. How about we set up a poll or something to see about getting funcom to create a dedicated roleplay server. It seems so many RP orgs have fallen to the d00d speak yet so many more struggle on despite it. Who knows, maybe we will get one if we can get enough interest generated.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Gurney "Twistshot" Halleck

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Roleplay Server?

Hey, this has probably been brought up a few times but here it goes again. How about we set up a poll or something to see about getting funcom to create a dedicated roleplay server. It seems so many RP orgs have fallen to the d00d speak yet so many more struggle on despite it. Who knows, maybe we will get one if we can get enough interest generated.

Last edited by Ghostfeather; Apr 25th, 2005 at 14:53:52.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Want to learn how to roleplay? Click Here for ideas! Looking for other Roleplayers? /tell channel42 !join and meet them! Want a larger source for RP? Go to www.ao-universe.com

Who needs a RP server if we already got soap drama server rimor <3
    Former NT Professional and post count farmer.

Goodbye everyone, it has been a blast.

Honestly, at some point even a "dedicated" roleplay server is going to be sunk down with those that don't RP. After all, how would such a thing be monitored? At this point, the best thing to do is find yourself a dedicated RP org and ignore 1337 speak and the haters.

While AO certainly has a good number of RP opportunities, it is also a game that has "a little bit for everyone". That in itself is unique

Just my 2 cents for what they are worth - given current inflation, probably not much :P
    Shantah ~ General - Corporate Justice ~ 208/9 Omni Martial Artist - Atlantean

Quote Originally Posted by Satenia
    You're damned right, we don't need a RP server
    Edis - Level 220 AI29 - Atrox, Keeper.
    Azazel0 - Level 220 AI17 - Solitus, Adventurer.
    Deadbaby - Level 216 AI20 - Opifex, Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Satenia
    because i cant speak or understand german....

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfeather
    Erm...Rimor is RK2. Both 1 and 2 are english-speaking servers. German server is RK3.

And both dims RK1 and 2 have their share of roleplay opportunities. As it is, AO is a game best played on all fronts, not focusing on just one style.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

Warping to game suggestions.
    ARK Community Relations Forums Oracle Guardian

~Forums Social Guidelines~

~Advisors of Rubi-Ka Website~

Thanks, missed this section and maybe it will bet better coverage here.

I dont think you have enough people to support a 4rth server.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Not enough people. Besides that, no way to enforce it and a lot of people that are already very well established in the role-play community wouldn't want to start over from scratch I'm sure.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Die Roleplayers Die!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rager
    Die Roleplayers Die!!!!
    that's constructive.
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

(now in order of play/activity! along with some other lowbie alts.)

Well maybe if funcom let everyone move their charecters over as is? I know that on, yes i played it, everquest when they made a new server they let people transfer their charecters over and plenty more started new charecters from scratch as well.

As to the statement of there not being enough roleplayers. Have you taken a poll of who would like to roleplay or not?

As to enforcement, worst thing you can do when it comes to roleplaying because no two people are going to have the same style of roleplaying. Yeah there would still be people on it that would be going d00d this is so 1337 but on a roleplay server they would have to deal with a lot more roleplayers that would not want to interact with him, or her, and would either start roleplaying or go to RK 1 or 2.

Hehe, happened all the time on EQ as well.

Other than the rules, there should be no Funcom enforcement. The players that would flock to the RP server would take care of the rest, all in charecter and in the rules too i might add. After all, you cant cry about a few hundred people putting you on ignore and have anyone do anything about it.
    Last edited by Ghostfeather; Apr 26th, 2005 at 00:54:50.

Merged two of the same thread topic into one, then put in Game suggestions...
    Advisor Yogosha
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka
    Community Relations
    Forums Administration

::Social Guidelines::
    ::ARK Public Website::

As to enforcement, worst thing you can do when it comes to roleplaying because no two people are going to have the same style of roleplaying. Yeah there would still be people on it that would be going d00d this is so 1337 but on a roleplay server they would have to deal with a lot more roleplayers that would not want to interact with him, or her, and would either start roleplaying or go to RK 1 or 2.

Hehe, happened all the time on EQ as well.
    I played WoW for a little while during the open beta before release on a Roleplay server, and it was indeed self-policing to at least a large extent.

People that blatanly disregarded RP on non-OOC chat channels were ((admonished)) by other players to not do so, and even though i saw some arguments in that regard, the 133t d00ds would soon end up being ignored and give up / change server given that they were clearly out of place there. For the most part, the direct interactions i had with other people were also IC.

I would also like to see a Roleplay server in AO (provided there was a character-transfer feature), but i also wonder if there would be enough players to make a new server viable.
    When dogma enters the brain, intellectual activity ceases.

Cultura bizarra para brutos mecánicos.

I personally don't see the need for an RP-server, when daily life on RK gives me all the RP I could need. True, most of it IS within a few chatbots, in tell or with a limited number of people, but still.

What I would like to see is some sort of direction by the ARKs/Devs. CoT and the Omni Company-board are good ideas, but I don't think things should stop there. But unless something is done with griefers at RP-events (Think many of us remember the political rally in ICC about a year ago, the Unicorn's abduction of journalists from Borealis etc.), any large-scale RP even will be disrupted.

True, not everyone like RP. Some like to PvP, others like just to hang with friends and level up to 220. And there is a large population of people that hates any sort of RP with a passion and will do anything to disrupt, destroy and FUBAR any sort of event or RP-thing. But if they are allowed to PvP wherever they are(which I don't personally like, even though it's a needed thing), others should be allowed to RP in peace, regardless of where they might be on the planet/in SL.

Sadly, that is not possible, it seems, as the second people learn about a large RP-event, you have griefers/disruptortosspots closing in faster than a pack of GenHex'ers in a hecklerzone.
    Seth "Pestillence" Walrus
    Proud member of
    ~ Society of Salvation ~
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Who Shall Guard The Guardians?

The good thing about Rimor is that you don't have to understand what's going on, but can still join the drama ... just how a good soap should be like

Quote Originally Posted by Meesoon
    Warping to game suggestions.
    Thanks for the extra post count, favorite ARK <3
    Former NT Professional and post count farmer.

Goodbye everyone, it has been a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rager
    Die Roleplayers Die!!!!
    Hey, it's not contructive, it's german!

Translation:
    The Roleplayers The!!!!
    Run or Die Trying