Thread: Possessing or possessed?

Possessing or possessed?

"Kill, destroy." "Move, dodge." "Absorb, heal." "Strike now!"

These were the voices he heard all the time. They guided his actions and helped him survive. Sometimes they threatened to drive him mad. These were spirits, and Jaszt was a Shade.

From the day he decided to venture into the lands of shadow, Jaszt was fascinated by the way that the dead walked as spirits. They defied what he had been taught in Jobe about the "magic" of insurance, that the soul could not survive long without its body. Even more surprising was that he found they would listen to him if he could exert his will over them. This was usually accomplished by "killing" their representative forms and commanding them to stay, then allowing them to join with him. He often wondered though if he possessed the spirits, or if they possessed him.

The ones that made him stronger or faster never seemed to be a problem. They were almost happy to be made of use, and calmly did their job. The ones that made him more efficient in combat, whether by increasing his skill with his weapons or allowing him to avoid attacks easily, always seemed to want to fight and kept him constantly killing creatures in the Shadowlands. After some time though, he found he could even control these and let them run free when he needed them.

Still, he always wondered if he was being controlled more than he was controlling them. He thought often about his own soul being lost to these spirits he used to enhance his abilities. Would they someday take him and turn him into one of the walking dead among the lands? Had they already taken control of other Shades, and made them into mindless killing machines? Judging by what he had seen, this may have been the case.

For sme reason, Jaszt just could not get this out of his mind. Were there others thinking the same thing? Did they already accept their fate to be lost to the spirits? Could he help those that could not control their own spirits? And above all else, why was he thinking about this now after so long, and why hadn't anyone else?

Was this something that was covered up by JAME? Was it something that no one was supposed to wonder about?

"Kill, destroy."

Maybe the first place to look would be other Shades, to see if any of them had similar experiences...

(OOC: This is an idea I've tossed around a bit lately, and I'm not surprised there isn't anything similar to it yet. Given that there are very few actively RPing Shades and most RP situations reflect Shades in a very negative light, I felt that I wanted to give some sort of explanation for why Shades may do what they do, and why they may not be trustworthy.
    I plan to expand further on this, and would like to get some other input on it. If I'm contradicting anything directly related to the storyline of AO (which seems to have bypassed Shades in general), nerf me. In the meantime, I think it's a nice idea to develop the profession in a way more than "OMFG! LOOK AT TEH DMG!".
    Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or input, or if you're a Shade interested in developing this idea further.)
    "Yay, full team of 6."
    "With Jaszt's ego, it's more like 8."
    "Hey now, that's not fair... it's more like 18."

[16:28] <Escritores> Jaszt for president

Uhhh... .hmmmm.... sounds vaguely familiar.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=206328 - Unforgiven
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...1&page=1&pp=20 - Project NEAMO

((forgot to note that FC has given very little in Shade history or whatever, so it's pretty much nayones interpretation. JAME created shades but do they know? Do all of them know? Did JAME create spirits (I doubt it). There's a huge list of the unexplained where shades are concerned. Which is good IMO ))

(Sundai, if you want a lot of information about what I'm planning or my ideas, feel free to talk to Iolanthe about it. She and I have had a few conversations regarding it as well as starting up a bit of a story there.)
    "Yay, full team of 6."

{{Well the basis for Sundai's rp is that her spirits drive her to do these things, so in essence, possession. Which I must add, she writes incredibly well. She's a novice Ann Rice! <3 I think some consistency among our interpetation is a good thing though.}}
    {Self-Moderated by Iolanthe}
    //220//19// ex nihilo, nihil fit

Proud Veteran of Tranquility
    RK-1's First 220 Hawt Solitus Shade
    Hawter than j00 and always right. Always.

-=Mottos to Troll by=-
    "I am Paper. Rock is fine. Nerf Scissors." "Shaddup before I smite you with scary logic bombs
    and keeel you with mind bullets." "You don't have to provide all sides of an arguement
    when the other perspectives are clearly bullsh*t."

Enel and Shere be damned, both of them. They either didn't want to, or more probably couldn't help Jinn. But they did have something to give.

The Chosen were obviously scared of something. A few of the guards at a temple were brave enough to speak of a demon haunting the Brink. A red, green-clawed monster. "It moves like the hand of Shere", they said. "No creature of the Brink is left alive behind." But still, no-one could describe it better than "Red monster with glowing, green claws". It always seemed to disappear.

Talking to a few hunters at a Jobe watering hole gave pretty much the same result. Instead of being scared, there guys were just pissed that it was killing their source for credits. Some of them claimed the green glow was very much like something the Kyr'Ozch suppression gas produces.

And the Faithful? No-one would talk about it. Up to the point of making me a bit su****ious. But without resources, there wouldn't be much of a chance of me catching this thing. It obviously doesn't want to be catched.

Digging thru some stolen Order archive data proved somewhat useful. The skills it had did resemble some Shade skills JAME had been experimenting with. Maybe, just maybe, it was somehow connected... It has to be found. Jinn's life might depend on it.
    Daniel "Cobrian" Tinander
    Priest of the Meta-Physical Order
    My Roleplaying Profile

When this began
    I had nothing to say
    And I'd get lost in the nothingness inside of me

He layed there next to the building, trying to keep warm against the side of it with only a thin blanket around himself. People walked by hurriedly, none noticed him there. Oddly though, their faces and their features seemed to blur when he tried to look a them.

I was confused
    And I let it all out to find
    That I'm not the only person with these things in mind

He looked around and they were all different. He still couldn't make out faces, but now he saw tattoos. These were his people, and some of them were angry. No wait, some of them weren't people, they weren't really there though. Were they spirits?

Inside of me
    But the vacancy the words revealed
    Is the only real thing that I've got left to feel

Some must have been, because they passed through him. No wait, they passed into him. But was this his sight or theirs?

Nothing to lose
    Nothing to gain
    Hollow and alone
    And the fault is my own
    And the fault is my own

The smell of blood washed over him like an ocean wave. Wait, he had never seen an ocean, why was he thinking of one? Ah, it didn't matter, he smelled the blood and the scent engulfed him and drew him in deeper.

I want to heal
    I want to feel
    What I thought was never real
    I want to let go of the pain I've held so long
    Erase all the pain 'til it's gone

The blood was gone and there were people again. Still blurry, he couldn't tell who they were, but he felt safer now, and rather than cower from them, he walked among them. That's when he saw the only face he could distinguish, and it was her.

I want to heal
    I want to feel
    Like I'm close to something real
    I want to find something I've wanted all along

Yes, it was her...

Somewhere I belong

And then it was all gone again, faded away until like the end of a scene in a movie.

And I've got nothing to say
    I can't believe I didn't fall right down on my face

Now he was in Nascence, among the trees and wild creatures. He saw the spirits again, only they were the only ones arguing this time, and some approached him.

I was confused
    Looking everywhere only to find
    That it's not the way I had imagined it all in my mind

Now he felt them. The spirits were entering him and strengthening him. They made him much more than he had ever been, yet they took so much away at the same time.

So what am I
    What do I have but negativity
    'Cause I can't justify the way everyone is looking at me

Another quick shift and he was back to civilization. The people there saw his tattoos and they knew. He was a monster to them. It didn't seem fair.

Nothing to lose
    Nothing to gain
    Hollow and alone
    And the fault is my own
    And the fault is my own

Again he smelled the blood. This time he could see more clearly, it was from the people around him. It was their blood and they were dying, and it was his doing. He had done this to them.

I want to heal
    I want to feel

Slowly, he could begin to focus on his friends. He saw his new family, and the blood-scent faded. They laughed with him, teased him, and made him one of their own.

I want to heal
    I want to feel

They didn't even mind who or what she was.

Somewhere I belong

If they did, they let it go because he was one of them.

I will never know
    Myself until I do this on my own

They were gone again and he was in a forest. He knew this place, it was in Elysium, it was the home of the dryads. They were all around him, and he felt a pull at his limbs.

And I will never feel
    Anything else until my wounds are healed

Before he could blink, he was on them. He moved quickly and methodically. The weapons in his hands destroying each of them as he approached. He was a blur through them and they died with no chance to put up a fight.

I will never be
    Anything 'til I break away from me

He moved through their forest, their home, killing them all. Each one that tried to stand against him, and each one that tried to flee from him.

And I will break away
    I'll find myself today

Again the vision of this was gone. And he was running, faster than it felt like he could possibly be.

I want to heal
    I want to feel

He ran, and as he ran he saw them all pass by. He saw the blurred faces turned away, then the ones arguing, then the ones staring at him. He saw his friends. He saw her. He saw the falling bodies around him.

I want to heal
    I want to feel

They all started to fade, and he wanted to know why. He wanted to see their faces. He wanted to know why everything was this way. And then there was nothing.

Somewhere I belong

Jaszt awoke startled. He was curled up among the ruins of Shell Beach in Elysium, yet he didn't remember leaving his own apartment in Jobe. His eyes were wet, had he been crying? What sort of nightmare was that?

He sat up and realized he was covered in blood, but it wasn't his. None of it was his, though he had no idea who... "Yes, you killed them. You killed them all." No, it wasn't possible. "You killed every last one of them." He looked around and realized he was alone on the beach. The voice was clear though, and insistent.

"No... How could I..?" He could feel the spirits almost giggle as he whispered the words. This angered him and he grabbed one of his weapons, pointing it at his own throat. "Don't toy with me. You know I'll do it."

They were silent for a long moment, nervous even. Then they calmed down as he did and he dropped the blade. Everything had gone so well, it had been so long since anything like this happened. Jaszt slumped back to the ground and fought off more tears. He would have to do better. He would have to be stronger.

Suddenly he wanted to be near his friends and his family more than ever.

I want to heal
    I want to feel like I'm
    Somewhere I belong

And he wanted to see someone who would understand.

I want to heal
    I want to feel like I'm
    Somewhere I belong

He couldn't do this on his own.

Somewhere I belong
    "Yay, full team of 6."

Kya and Kotras viewed the big temple at the end of the bridge as they crossed it walking slowly. "You ready for this?"
    Kotras rolled his eyes and said "Yeah Yeah...lets get a move on."
    "A'right..just stay behind me and don't get too near to 'em."
    They ran upto the unredeemed and Legaron started waving his sword as Kotts stood a bit more distant and fired his rounds uppon one of them.
    Kya ducked a swing of the sacrosanct blade and rested his scythe behind the legs of the unredeemed and pulled it flooring the foe. He got up and slashed the point in the pit of the stomach.
    "Check his stuff to see if he got insignias on him" Kya spat as he frowned at the unredeemed arrogantly. "Who wants to get some of this?!" He screamed even more arrogantly at the other unredeemed along the bridge guarding the passage to the temple as they watched the keeper. The Ner-Or on top of the walls looked about nervously. Some of them looked away and others frowned at him angered.
    "I've slayed the prophet of Shere! I've slayed his champion! And Himself aswell! And I'm here to take on your boss Trox against ugly! Bring him on!" He screamed while grinning.
    Kotras chuckled as the trox was making provoking gestures towards the unredeemed inhabitants of the temple.
    After a masive battle mostly between Legaron and the Unredeemed outside the temple of Bog he stood there counting the bodies as something flashed by and disrupted his count. The green flash of light returned and as he focused on it he more clearly noticed it was a shade. When the shade came to a stop he recognized the familiar face. "Hey Jazst, what you doin' here?"
    The shade nodded "Ah, just helping out a buddy of mine grab some weapon he wants that one of these guys has. You?"
    "I just like slaying these guys!" Legaron chuckled. "Nah, same really...helping skinny here get some insignias for his Jobe armor. We're pretty much done here so we're off...good luck and eh...see ya in Adonis."
    The shade greeted him and they departed.
    My title Keeper. My mind on my grind. Assembly's my heart. They shine when I shine.

Kyarash "Legaron" Davoudi
    Keeper of Assembly

"Seen through human experience there are as many worlds as there are humans. Understanding that the word "human" defines a point in eternity and not a seperate reality is the begining of knowing"

Dreams. Dreams can't hurt you. Dreams are just imagined.

Jaszt woke up feeling like he had just be shot. In a daze he looked down and saw blood on his chest and his hands, and for a moment he panicked. As his vision cleared, the blood was gone and the pain had reduced to a dull ache, but the dream was still there.

He had been in Elysium, running toward a group of buildings that were still under construction. With him had been several others, all armed and prepared for battle. They had attacked the people there for some reason, killed many of them, and he had been shot. He never saw the shooter, but he felt it go through his back and burst out his chest, and then he saw the swirling sky.

"Jess? Come on Jess, this isn't funny... Get up man!" He heard the voices in his dream. Who was Jess? Was that him? It was close to the name the spirits had given him. Whoever it was, he felt the dream slip away so quickly and fade to waking that the pain of the gunshot was still with him.

Jaszt looked around, still a bit confused by it all. He was still in his apartment, quite relieved he hadn't woken up in Elysium again. Even more comforting was the fact that he was not bleeding from some phantom wound that he dreamed he recieved. Though he still wondered who this "Jess" was.
    "Yay, full team of 6."

The somewhat small and cramped room was dark. the blue-ish green wall screen illuminated a corner of the apartment, and the opifex laying on his stomach quickly tapping away at his comlink on the floor next to him. After a day like this he need to relax. normally his mind would be cluttered... racing. distracted. His fiancé was off on Earth somewhere, and somewhere on Rubi-Ka two of his good friends were brooding because of him. Guilt and worry which plagued him thoughts were now gone. Not because he didn't care, not at all. Because he couldn't stop to think. the longer he stalled the closer he came to getting caught. And Jobe was hardly a company to take lightly, not when your "borrowing" information from them.

Kotras' smirked slightly as he over heard a few of the young ladies sing over the clan's private channel. The security system was not *easy* to get passed. A skilled Omni-Tek hacker could easily carve into this database, however Kotts was only trained in the basics. Maybe if he stayed just another month or more... A file node caught his eye. Jstr.

No time was wasted, He dove right in.
    "Jobe Shade Theoretical Research. Hmm now I see why Jaszt was so interested in this" He mumbled to himself.

Jobe was responsible for the creation of shades, that much was no secret. The type of person that puts other on edge. In a world of insurance patterns and reclaims, the shade's methods of "stealing one's soul" brought back the harsh reality of death. What really made this particular tid-bit interesting was that Jobe was *experimenting* on a few given shades. manufactured ones, judging from the pictures of stasis tubes that were in use. One of this photos was a dead give away he was on the right path. "JSTR27- Jesset". May have been a solid lead to Jaszt's past if it was for one minor detail. All these files were over fifty years old!

There was a notation on JSTR27. "Trained for exploration, and.... assassination..." He continued reading "Favored Violent spirits... confinement... subjugated mental therapy... "Brainwashing"... failed". Deeper and deep he dug. "The Mental therapy didn't work as a result of the multiple spirits inhabiting the subject." He watched the old video feed tilting his head as he heard one of the Scientists say "This better work. Last thing we need is another Jester on our hands!"

More files were decoded. "JSTR27 escapes. Rouge shade must be captured. Violent, and animalistic." Kotts' eyes danced back and forth as he read, alternately copying all of the past files to his own records. "Dispatched four keepers to subdue subject, and detain." the attached file were proof enough that they were not successful. Pictures, like a crime scene. Similar to the ones Kotts saw back on the colony. The keeper's armor was peeled off of their bodies, shredded eve, just enough to expose the bits you poke when you want someone dead. It almost looked like some of the wildlife got a hold of them, aside from the "JSTR" carved into the flesh of their collective chests.

A sharp "bleep" echoed through metal the apartment. It was a signal. A signal that it's time to make tracks. Kotras quickly backed out of the database making sure to get the last bits he found copied over. Less then a few seconds later he was out. Safe. He glanced down at his comlink on the floor and opened up a direct link.

" 'ey Jaszt, Mate. you 'round?"
    "Hmm? Oh Hey Kotts. Yeah. What's up?" Jaszt replied after a few moments
    "Oh, been kinda bored recently, so I did some lookin' ... Think I go something."
    "About JSTR?"
    "Yeah, Name a place mate, I'll get you your own copy."