Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Community answers - part 4

your kidding right? share the xp from picking chests and doors? it's like 4k xp for that...why does anyone feel the need to share such a small amount of xp? i've never seen anyone complain about not getting the xp from it. such a crazy idea...

If 'killing' a locked and trapped chest actually required some sort of character skills, then experience for successfully 'killing' that chest would have to be increased.

If that 4k were to change to 40k even though it took a while to disarm and pick the trap, it should be shared.

Number one reason that 40K should be shared:

It was your GROUP that kept you alive in a mission full of Reds and allowed you the time to sit and crack open that chest in the first place. If not for your GROUP you would have 5 red Real Mean Enforcers and an Ace NanoTechnician keeping you company while you did yer dirty work.

Think about it.

Open/Hidden should have an effect on how many 'really tough' chests appear in a mission. So if my MP with only 400 B&E is out Ninja-looting while his Demon takes his place with the team, there might be an occasion where I have to holler 'Hey Pickyfingers, get over here and try to bust this one open. It's no dice for me'.

There should be a skill that one can raise that would show a chest tinted in red if it's trapped. The 'Search' action is OK. But there should be an innate check for trapped chests like in NeverWinter Nights so that somebody with a good enough perception could warn the NinjaLooters to 'hold off on that chest till we're done with this Enforcer mob. It's trapped!'

Sometimes I wonder why I bother trying to help a game where I know nothing more than Nerfs and more tedious 'level' requirements are the results of the apparently new design team. But, the fact that they are spending time to actually enhance the value of a small game mechanic like Treasure Chests gives me enough energy to perhaps encourage them to improve the game for those of you who can look beyond the bad.

If it gets done right, it should be a nice diversion to break up the mindless monotony of killing monster after monster in mission after mission.

Did you ever think that the next step after sharing experience for picking chests might be sharing experience for disabling a security camera or hacking into an office executive's mini-whompa?

The idea is sound and should be encouraged. Anything they do that is positive should be encouraged. It might get them to thinking of doing things to enhance gameplay rather than make it more homogenous, bland, and boring.

Lightbulb Is this where we add suggestions?

1) I like these threads. Communication and Official Information is good. Please keep it up.

2) Here's another suggestion to add to your list, Cz:

How difficult would it be to add a loot auto-bag feature to AO? You can make it as easy or hard as you like:

Easy: Add a new bag item. When a player has THIS bag OPEN, every item clicked when looting AUTOMATICALLY get added to the AutoLoot bag, not general inventory.

Medium: If a player has ANY bag OPEN, every item clicked when looting AUTOMATICALLY gets added to the open bag, not general inventory.

Hard: If a player has a bag EQUIPPED ON THEIR BACK (requires X in Adventuring skill and loss of back armor) and that bag is OPEN, every item clicked when looting AUTOMATICALLY gets added to the open bag, not general inventory. [Personally, I prefer to allow bags to be equipped in Util slots rather than just the back slot, but I'm open to any option that makes looting and inventory management less tedious.]

Other: Give us an Options Menu checkbox, a command line option, ANYTHING, to turn on/off autobagging of loot.

3) Similar to auto-loot, but make it possible to dump the entire contents of a bag into the trade window for sale.

I know bags are a sore subject for your developers because of their checkered history regarding bugs and exploits, but please add SOMETHING that will make looting and inventory management a little less tedious. I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome trying to bag/unbag/sell all my hard-earned l3wt!

- DrPhil
    Last edited by DrVixen; Jul 16th, 2002 at 23:55:44.

Originally posted by AstroCreep2k

For the most (note most) part those that bother with B&E do so out of pure greed. How often do you hear "empty chest". I've been soloing team missions and have discovered empty chests maybe 1 out of 10 times. Yes the xp should be shared. You are NOT on the TEAM to be a loner! If you want the xp from chests yourself go solo a mission!
    For your information... I never open chests in teams. I'm talking about sharing of the XP from unlocking... that's total BS. Sharing of the loot is another. Funny though, I've never had a problem with the teams I hunt in. I let them loot all they want and they always post what is inside. That's how I got all my bracers.. they all said "hey, you don't have reflect bracers yet.. grab them". Someone ninja looting in your team you don't like? kick them out of the team.. simple as that. :P

But to add in a feature that is soooo minimal when there are larger issues than that that need fixing. When are we going to see developer time devoted to real issues instead of some person whining because another player is getting an extra 2 to 4K xp from a chest or door.
    Last edited by Bartiir; Jul 17th, 2002 at 06:38:29.

Something I've noticed that should probably be added. AO has some deficiencies in the org system. There is no way to list out current members in the org from within the game, nor does there appear to be an ability to list out the members currently logged in. There is the /vote function, that is pretty nice, but I've not seen anything like an /motd.

Basically organizations need some way to reliably disseminate information, such as a /motd, and some way to see who else is on. The issue of camping an opponent that was the reason for /list being disabled a year ago in the first place shouldn't be an issue with organization members. It should be even possible to /list org members in other zones. I know you can tell if anyone on your buddies list is on, so the information is available, and not zone specific.
    Last edited by Sean Roach; Jul 17th, 2002 at 07:08:28.

Lightbulb Want a money sink?

Originally posted by Cz
    Plastic surgery (...to allow people to change face on their character).
    Submitted as a suggestion for the development team, though I'm not sure how much of a priority it would be. Might eb a nice money sink though.
    Now if You REALLY want to make this a money sink, allow ppl to buy new faces that You can't choose when making a new char. Lots of ppl love to own/wear stuff that's hard/impossible to get when You are n00b. I bet You would see lots of the higherlvl chars change faces every now and then. You could even add a few faces with each new patch like you add new weapons and stuff. There would be a rush when some ppl just have to look different than the rest, hehe. Hell, you could even make some special faces as loot. "Insert this card in a medic terminal and pay 8 zillion creds to get new face". I wouldn't be surpriced if some ppl change their face as well as their clothes when they go to a party.

That would REALLY suck some creds up!

/Ghump
    Ghump - a member of Ragnarok

My hovercraft is full of eels

Re: Community answers - part 4

Originally posted by Cz
    First of all, I have to excuse that some issues are taking a bit of time. This is mostly due to people being on vacation, and we don't want to give out answers without having them confirmed first.

Trap damage
    Trap damage originates from the one setting it off, and will thus make his own damage shields and reflection devices damage him even more. Reported as a bug, and needs some change in the trap system, I guess.
    A bit of time CZ??? I have been reporting this bug for *4* count them *4* patches and its been ignored time and time again this issue along with a couple others is why I finally gave up on the test server and said why bother your not listening to us anyway...

Frankly im getting tired of my own damage shield hitting me for several hundred damage ontop of the already 1k+ that the bomb is doing...

And why share experience I didn't open the chest I don't deserve the exp and if you put the loot message in which is needed get rid of the damn aggro rollerats...

Edit: by the way that I guess sure makes it sound like its an issue that isn't really cared about...
    Last edited by Serena; Jul 17th, 2002 at 10:59:44.

Originally posted by Bartiir
    But to add in a feature that is soooo minimal when there are larger issues than that that need fixing. When are we going to see developer time devoted to real issues instead of some person whining because another player is getting an extra 2 to 4K xp from a chest or door.
    Err... people don't start this game doing ql180+ missions you know. The amount of xp you get from chests at lower levels is a lot larger compared to mob-xp than it is at the higher levels. When I do a ql190 mission I get maybe 3-4k for picking a chest or a door. I get 65k for killing a Veteran mob. When I play my level 25 crat doing ql40 missions I pick locks and get 350xp, while killing a mob gives me 1,5k.

As for sharing the items found, that's a given. I always paste the things I take from a chest in the teamchat, even if it may be something I regard as junk. Since I only team with friends (being in a guild that makes that possible) there's never a problem with ninjalooting. But when I play some of my alts in other teams I always make it clear from the start that loot from chests are to be announced and shared. If that doesn't happen I leave the team. I have no patience for that sort of "teamwork".

But that's a side issue - the xp from opening a chest is a small drop in the ocean at higher levels, but at lower levels it's a lot more. Sharing it with the team should atleast be a possibility.
    Last edited by Archelan; Jul 17th, 2002 at 11:24:30.
    Archelan, Ancarim Iron Legion

Vandreren (Adventurer) - Arctech (Engineer) - Egori (Fixer) - Sherringham (Bureaucrat) - Kurtwood (Trader)

Question Question for you Cz

Hi Cz,

In one of those other "community answers" threads there was a discussion of bringing events for RK2. Has that been further discussed? I notice you and Cosmik and others are always partying on RK1. Can it be possible to have these parties on RK2? Those of us on RK2 are missing out. We are like the black sheep of the family. I started on RK2 not knowing it was the boring server. I do have a character on RK1, but my main character that I enjoy playing the most is on RK2. Do you need any help organizing an event on RK2? I can help and can get others to help too. There are a lot of people on RK2 that enjoy role-playing and are yearning for events and parties like you guys do on RK1.

Oh well.....sigh...worth a shot to ask I guess.

Originally posted by Archelan

Err... people don't start this game doing ql180+ missions you know. The amount of xp you get from chests at lower levels is a lot larger compared to mob-xp than it is at the higher levels. When I do a ql190 mission I get maybe 3-4k for picking a chest or a door. I get 65k for killing a Veteran mob. When I play my level 25 crat doing ql40 missions I pick locks and get 350xp, while killing a mob gives me 1,5k.
    Then honestly, raise your B&E and pick the chests/doors yourself. But of course, most people rather use their valuable IP (especially at the lower levels) on something else.

It really comes down to this... in a team, you always have choices... set down the rules and enforce them by kicking people who can't abide by them... or leave the team if they refuse to accept. If an additional 350 or 4K xp means that much, leave. If you don't have the B&E to have opened the door/chest yourself... you shouldn't get a share of the pie.

I've heard it argued saying that "well its a team, and all people should share in the rewards since the rest of the team did their share in keeping the other person alive". Errrr... well, ok.. yes, it makes sense... however that person invested X amount of IP to get their B&E skills to where they were to be able to open the chests or what not. Why should they share the rewards?

Someone even pointed out that its greed that motivates the people to raise their B&E to get the loot from chests. Errr... so what's this clamor for XP sharing? Generosity??? LOL... bunch of hypocrites.

Plain and simple... you want to open chests/doors for xp.. raise B&E. Someone is ninja looting to get to that chest and not allowing everyone to have their chance? kick them.

Some people just don't see the Big Picture. Let's lay it down in simple terms.

A team of five soldiers bring a guy whose job is to push a red button deep into enemy territory. When he pushes the red button, the war ends. They kill a million monsters and at last the button pusher is delivered to the red button.

When he pushes the button a million exp and some nice equipment is available to be divided.

Who gets the exp and loot?

A team has a mission. A team has goals. When a team completes a mission or any part of a mission the team gets rewarded. Team members each have unique talents. Those unique talents mesh to form a greater whole. The greater whole is able to accomplish things the individuals could not.

The reason the Soldier does not raise his infiltration skills is because he does not have to he has a Fixer or Engineer who can do this for him. Thus he is able to be a better Soldier. When he kills a monster, the Fixer gets experience. When the Fixer 'kills' a chest, the Soldier gets experience.

Perhaps if the Fixer (or Engy or whoever) where not ninja-looting and the experience and chest loot were automatically shared by the game, then the Soldier would not put a single point into B&E. He'd just make sure he had a 'Cracker' on the team. You'd actually WANT somebody on your team that was able to open the chests.

Get it? 'Team 130-150 looking for Healer and Cracker!'

I don't understand why people can't grasp this task. Did you never see the Magnificent Seven or watch an episode of Mission Impossible? Is team spirit truly dead in society today?

As it stands right now, don't tell me that most people secretly with the other people in their teams were not able to open chests.

The Treasure Chest situation is currently a sore point in many teams. Whether it gets mentioned or not, there is always su****ion on the part of the honest players as to what's going on inside the chests. This causes them to raise B&E to try to be able to control the situation themselves.

How stupid is it that we have a team of 6 different players and each and every one of them is able to open a chest in a 195 mission on the first click? How much of a waste of IP on a team-level basis is that?

All because the reward for 'killing' a chest is treated differently than 'killing' a monster. FunCom is trying to fix that.

How'd you like the alternative? FunCom allow Nukes and Weapon Damage to 'bash' open a chest. That would make it fairer.

Seriously .... FunCom finally does one good thing.

Re: xp sharing on picked locks...

Originally posted by Kajpin
    xp sharing on picked locks?

Where'd that come from? This seems likea really bad idea to me. Why get xp for doing nothing? You share xp from mobs because everybbody does there part to help win the battle.

The B&E professionals should get there due. Give them there xp.
    Now what they loot should be shared, but that's a completely separate issue.

K

most peopel can open doors and chests. its just a matter of who gets to it first. I have never come across a locked door and been like "excuse me mr fixer, please open the door for us "
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Some people just don't see the Big Picture. Let's lay it down in simple terms.

A team of five soldiers bring a guy whose job is to push a red button deep into enemy territory. When he pushes the red button, the war ends. They kill a million monsters and at last the button pusher is delivered to the red button.

When he pushes the button a million exp and some nice equipment is available to be divided.

Who gets the exp and loot?

A team has a mission. A team has goals. When a team completes a mission or any part of a mission the team gets rewarded. Team members each have unique talents. Those unique talents mesh to form a greater whole. The greater whole is able to accomplish things the individuals could not.

The reason the Soldier does not raise his infiltration skills is because he does not have to he has a Fixer or Engineer who can do this for him. Thus he is able to be a better Soldier. When he kills a monster, the Fixer gets experience. When the Fixer 'kills' a chest, the Soldier gets experience.

Perhaps if the Fixer (or Engy or whoever) where not ninja-looting and the experience and chest loot were automatically shared by the game, then the Soldier would not put a single point into B&E. He'd just make sure he had a 'Cracker' on the team. You'd actually WANT somebody on your team that was able to open the chests.

Get it? 'Team 130-150 looking for Healer and Cracker!'

I don't understand why people can't grasp this task. Did you never see the Magnificent Seven or watch an episode of Mission Impossible? Is team spirit truly dead in society today?

As it stands right now, don't tell me that most people secretly with the other people in their teams were not able to open chests.

The Treasure Chest situation is currently a sore point in many teams. Whether it gets mentioned or not, there is always su****ion on the part of the honest players as to what's going on inside the chests. This causes them to raise B&E to try to be able to control the situation themselves.

How stupid is it that we have a team of 6 different players and each and every one of them is able to open a chest in a 195 mission on the first click? How much of a waste of IP on a team-level basis is that?

All because the reward for 'killing' a chest is treated differently than 'killing' a monster. FunCom is trying to fix that.

How'd you like the alternative? FunCom allow Nukes and Weapon Damage to 'bash' open a chest. That would make it fairer.

Seriously .... FunCom finally does one good thing.
    ok... so let's REMOVE all MOB exp, chest exp, and loot.

When the mission is "completed", everyone gets mission exp for all the mobs/team goal etc and ONE chest with ALL the loot (about 120 items). Each time you open the chest "in turn" you get to pick 1 item.

Sure sounds realistic and "fun"

/sarcasm off

most peopel can open doors and chests. its just a matter of who gets to it first. I have never come across a locked door and been like "excuse me mr fixer, please open the door for us "
    And that's part of the problem right there.

Even my MP with dark blue B&E can open any door or chest. If chests were harder to break into in team missions, and experience and loot were shared in team missions, I would have no need to raise B&E.

That's one of the downfalls of team missions. Everybody does damage. Nobody really needs to be healed. Everybody opens chests. Professions don't really mean squat. Might as well send in 6 Martial Artists for all that matters.

As a matter of fact, 6 Martial Artists is probably about the best team you could ask for these days.

The chest situation is one manifestation of the sorry state of things. Any one of them 6 MA's could open any chest or door.

Nothing requires the 'Crat's Psychology, the Doc's Pharma Tech, the Fixer or Engy's B&E, the Agent's Stealth, the Strength of the Atrox. Kill and loot. Kill and loot. Kill and Loot. Kill and loot.

No wonder people don't care.

Seems some people wouldn't be interested in a 'Crat being able to 'talk' his way past a Super-Guard and getting 200K exp versus having to kill him at risk of death and getting 80K exp. And then there are people who still think the 200K exp should go _only_ to the Crat when his actions are in support of the team. After all it was _his_ IP that was spent to get the Psychology and _his_ words that talked them past the guard and somebody might have died if not for _him_. It's all about the individual in a team situation, right? That must be the new American way.

With people like this playing and posting on the boards no wonder this game is going to the dogs.

here is an astonishingly brilliant, 100% genius idea:

the xp from the pick gets split into 7 equal amounts, the person who picked the chest gets 2 and everyone else each gets 1.

The deal is, each person has a specialty. In RL you will have a team of people with a main ability and several other ones all helping a team. They all keep each other alive, and staying alive is sortof their goal.
    For a team, the xp should be shared because the calmer will not get xp from a good calm but keep everyone else alive long enough to kill another monster. Should the calmer get xp when in a team if they can't do any damage because their pet is 20 rooms away and the tank got five adds? The calmer is the only one who can keep the team alive in this case because the doc can't heal that quickly and would get killed, but the calmer can stop damage from comming.
    What if the calmer got no xp from this, but was able to save the team about 2 mil xp in total by keeping them all alive? Is that really fair?
    -no, the calmer should get the same amount of xp as everyone else, even though they can't outdamage the soldier or MA.

I actually want the chest xp to be split fairly, even though my B&E skill is enough to open almost any chest in a team mission in one try, but I don't care much about the xp, or loot, as long as I can gain a few lvls without the team breaking apart.
    but, the person who invests the IP would be welcome to get an extra share IMO.

Sorry but sharing lockpick experience is just catering to the crybabys that want it all, I don't bother with chests because one there just isn't time in a team and two there are to many ninja looters that are always right on it. I could care less if I get part of the miniscule 3.5k exp that comes out of the QL 200 missions we do if that tiny bit of exp is sooooo important to you then be the first one to the chest. Its a pathetic amount that matters not diddly squat to what you make in the mission and so fighting to get it just makes you a sad individual.

And fighting for this and FC wasting manhours that they already cant afford to take of the constant nerfs just is another waste of time.

Stop worrying about what everyone else has and asking for it too that is the basis for 99% of the nerfing that has gone in this game. Be happy with YOUR accomplishments not green with envie for others....

Fixers got a hellovalot better patch than Advents did but you don't see us crying nerf or we want it too...

Nothing requires the 'Crat's Psychology,

Erm... I'm pretty sure that some crat stuff is based on psychology... *cough*

the Doc's Pharma Tech

Monster parts

the Fixer or Engy's B&E

Weapon creation from sealed receptacles... never mind that the fixer and engy's B&E is just EASIER TO RAISE!

the Agent's Stealth

Stealth isn't a good thing? Whatever..

the Strength of the Atrox

Sure makes their ability to kill in melee easier, huh?... they also tend to have a bit more health...

Kill and loot. Kill and loot. Kill and Loot. Kill and loot

If that's the case... a crat should be able to reason with a chest, to convince it to open. A doc should be able to perform complex surgery to open the lock. The fixer and engineer can already open it easier. The agent should be able to sneak through the keyhole. And the Atrox should be able to bash it open.

Just pointing out some stupidity here... everyone has their specialties. However, to say that no one needs a fixer or engy's B&E skill is very contradictory. Sure, I may not need their B&E if I can do it myself, but what's the harm in that? This game was not designed for certain classes to be the only option for their abilities. It was designed in the thought that a nano-tech could use a Nova-Flow, or a Meta-Physicist can use a Division 9 Plasma Projector, or a Doc could use a Flamethrower. No, they won't be as good at using any of those weapons as a Soldier, but they can use them.

This game was not designed for one class to be good at something and the rest to suck. It was designed for one class to be excellent at something, great at something else, and all the other classes to be good or ok at that same thing.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about XP from chests and doors. Wether it's shared or not is no big deal to me, and it shouldn't be to anyone else either. It's a miniscule amount, and crying to your mommies about it being introduced is a good way to look like a moron (oh mommy, I lost 50 xp because billy got some too! I'm sad! Boohoohoo).

As a matter of fact, 6 Martial Artists is probably about the best team you could ask for these days.

I'll bet a team of six soldiers Alpha-Striking a mob would take it out easily, if not faster than 6 MAs. So too would I bet that 6 MP demons with 6 Heal pets would own anything in a mission, or six crats could just walk through a mission without a scratch, and 6 agents could sneak on past everything, rooting anything that -may- see them...

Maybe 6 MAs would be good, but every team of 6 of the same profession would be powerful in many ways, and very lacking in others.
    Last edited by Windrunner; Jul 18th, 2002 at 05:26:00.

Originally posted by Serena
    Sorry but sharing lockpick experience is just catering to the crybabys that want it all, I don't bother with chests because one there just isn't time in a team and two there are to many ninja looters that are always right on it. I could care less if I get part of the miniscule 3.5k exp that comes out of the QL 200 missions we do if that tiny bit of exp is sooooo important to you then be the first one to the chest. Its a pathetic amount that matters not diddly squat to what you make in the mission and so fighting to get it just makes you a sad individual.

...and since you don't care about the 3.5k xp in a ql200 mission, and since we know for a fact that everyone starts this game doing ql200 missions, we can probably just say case closed and move on.

Err... wait a sec...

"Sad individual" indeed.
    Last edited by Archelan; Jul 18th, 2002 at 06:49:23.
    Archelan, Ancarim Iron Legion

Vandreren (Adventurer) - Arctech (Engineer) - Egori (Fixer) - Sherringham (Bureaucrat) - Kurtwood (Trader)

It's all about attitude and I just can't seem to get the point across. Every special ability that a team gains by bringing in a new member should benefit the team as a whole.

It'a principle thing. I don't care about 1/6 of 3000 xp either. It's just abpit the little smile when that trickle of exp shows on my screen and I know my Cracker is doing his job for us. It's about a team working as a machine for the better good of all. Sharing a little exp is just the start towards a proper teaming paradigm from 'me' to 'we'.

They should fix rats so they don't add to the percentage of a mission. A team should never be rewarded for failing to disarm a trap. That just doesn't make sense. As much as I liked the extra XP from the rats and the added percent is nice, I think it makes more sense to get to 100% by killing all the monsters in the mission and not be rewarded with bonus XP and % for failure.

Seriously, you get more XP for killing the rat than for successfully disarming the trap, right? Game mechanic flaw there.

If they say it's scheduled for 14.6, then that means the coders are already probably about done with implementation. If the time the coders took to put this in worries you, then no use crying over spilt milk.

Me? I'd love to see at least one chest in every mission that requires 800 B&E and has a piece of Boss Loot in it. Be nice to get 100K XP for cracking it open and have that shared with the team. It's a good thing.

I'd love to see a room in a mission that has 6 Real Means behind doors that will open unless you disarm a trip wire. You got a choice, fight the bad guys all at once and earn 400K exp or disarm the trap with 800 B&E and share 100K exp each safely.

I really have to agree with the lockpicking xp sharing. However, all by itself it isn't necessarily the wisest thing. But as a package of fixes it could be a prime ingrediant. Let me lay out the changes that would make b&e xp sharing a good idea:

1) better scale up in levels for the xp at higher levels, should always equal half the xp of a mobs xp for a chest and 1/4 for a door, thats on a regular mission.

2) team wide chat message of each item that is looted.

3) in team missions increase the difficulty of the chests and doors, at the same time increase the xp even more than a regular mission.

4) in team missions have a lot more of the doors being locked.

With a lot more of the doors being locked, you reduce your chances of getting an add from a side room. Certainly it would be nice to have some of the tougher mobs behind a locked door. You can have your entire team ready before you Cracker opens the door. With your tank standing infront of the door, and your cracker and any other vulnerable character to the side of the door out of the line of sight of the mob.

So, xp sharing by itself not a big deal. However, with those 4 changes it simply make sense that a vital role of a cracker should share the xp just like they get a share of the xp for killing mobs.

That is what this game is missing, multiple things that team members could bring to the table that when combined just makes a better team. Things like a fixer cracking (not needed or wanted yet), a trader debuffing (doesn't work yet), a doctor buffing and healing, a tank tanking with good tools to draw aggro (doesn't work yet) and absorb damage, and an agent or MA really putting the smack down with crits but not have to take aggro because they have a tank that keeps the aggro.

I am sure there could be more uses if people just put their mind to it.

Martin
    Martin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast