Thread: New to the profession

New to the profession

i just started a NT in the shadowlands i was woundering if anyone has any tips on how i should build this toon

Hi there,

For hints, tips, and options, I would see the stickies first

they can be found here

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=472596
    Varsbot
    Variable004

MAEK KITES ELY HECKALERS

Also, checking out rooted guides is always a good place to start

Hello,

in short: focus on nanoskills, nano pts, and later on some evades to make you less squishy.

one piece of advice: if you have another toon, then try to farm stuff for NT or it will be quite painful to you. nt is really not that easy to play as first toon, believe me
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Welcome on board! NT POWAH
    Steveo 220 Clan NT RK2
    Contagion 220 Clan Doc RK2

Proud wielder of the Pitchfork of Satenia

thank you for the help this is my first NT and i wana be able to kite for some really quick levels later on around TL4 or 5

NTs are not easy to play at first... our playstyle is unique compared to everyone else, and if you've played other professions, you'll need to adjust your playstyle and adapt to the unique differences that separate us from the others. Keep a few things in mind as you level up:

1) You can only cast one nano program at a time. This means that if you're refreshing your layer shield, you can't cast a nuke, which increases the length of time you're in battle.

2) NTs weren't designed for a frontal head-on assault. Our defensive capabilities are not really designed to allow you to stand toe-to-toe with your target-- you have very little self-healing abilities, and your layers shield will only take one or two hits (more if the mob does different damage types) before it's useless and needs recasting (and if you're not nuking, your not doing damage... see #1). Our defenses are more in tune with keeping you alive just long enough for a tank-type teammate (a soldier or enforcer) to re-acquire aggro if the mob suddenly turns on you. If this happens, stop nuking, focus on your defenses, and give the tank the opportunity to do his job.

3) We can out-taunt every profession. Due to our nukes' casting times, and the amout of damage they do, one hit can potentially OD most initial attacks made by other professions (alpha attacks excluded). In other words, don't initiate or start attacking a target if you're in a team situation... Let your tanking teammate build aggro first.

4) There is no auto-nuke function. Unless you decide to equip some pistols at the lower levels, NTs don't press "Q" to attack. The NT profession is the most click-intensive profession in the game, because without a weapon, we need to click something (a nuke or perk) to inflict damage. This could also be titled "Learn your toolbar(s)", because you'll be clicking your toolbar for just about everything you do- from nuking to casting shields, to perking.

5) Get used to dying. In spite of what you may read in the NT forums from the non-NT posters, NTs are quite squishy (at least until the later levels), and you will die more often than you're probably used to. In order to compensate, learn the travel routes that allow you to return to your teammates as fast as possible. Some people forego collecting the lower-level Shadowlands keys (Nascense, Elysium, Scheol and Adonis), and this can work for those that have high defensive abilities that keep the from dying.... but for NTs, I recommend collecting all the SL keys, both Garden and Sanctuary... It could mean the difference between collecting XP/SK (by getting to the battle before the mob is dead) or not (because you spent the last 10 minutes running back, or the team leader kicked you from the team for dying too much and not pulling your own weight).

6) For NT purposes, "Solo" means "slow and low" , as in slow grind due to low XP mobs. You mentioned kiting around TL4-5... That's all fine and dandy, but until you get there, you're not going to be taking on high level mobs (with red HP bars) all by yourself. Solo fighting (but not kiting) will be more personally rewarding (as far as the achievement goes) than XP rewarding.

7) Save often! Years ago, before I reached level 200, I was running around Jobe and accidentally jumped off one of the bridges and ended up landing in Hollow Island... I died in two hits, and lost over 80,000,000 XP because I hadn't used an insurance terminal for a while... don't let that happen to you.

I'll reitterate: if you've already played other professions before, you're going to need to adapt your playstyle and "cut yourself some slack" as you learn the nuances of playing your NT... You will die more, your XP gains will be lower per mob (while soloing), and unless you have some really good friends that recognize this, you will have a harder time getting into teams (because everyone wants to level quickly, but they won't do that if they have to wait for you to get back from reclaim every 10 minutes). In the end, though, once you've been able to either compensate for, or overcome these limitations, the NT profession (at the highest levels) can be extremely rewarding... which you'll understand when your teammates type "nerf NTs" in team and guild chat once you've done your first few 50K (Nanobot Shielding + Self Illumination + Detonation Matrix) nukes .
    Last edited by Crisalys; Oct 5th, 2009 at 02:44:03. Reason: "Nanobot Shielding", not "Nanobot Shelter".
    Christine "Crisalys" Kochanski 220/30/70 Nanomage Nano-Technician

License Plates: 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 Plate Debate has ended!

Crisalys was born on Fri, Mar 29, 18:48:45, 2002, and as of November 6, 2011, 04:11 GMT,
    Crisalys has played 482 days 15 hours 48 minutes 36 seconds

There is DEFINITELY no letter "A" in the word DEFINITELY.
    What annoys you most at work?

In addition to point #3 a lot of the RK nukes have added taunt making it even easier to snatch agg from lowbie tanks. Granted not many people level this way anymore.
    Squad Commander of Lex Noctis
    'Larp' 220/22 Atrox Enforcer Phats
    Ohne "Qixote" Dich 220/30/70 Solitus Nano-Technician Phats
    Cellar "Shiae" Door 165/22 Solitus Adventurer Phats
    Little 'Twinks' Boy 21/2 Atrox Enforcer