Thread: The Game

The Game

Prologue: Deadly Intentions

Snow had covered the ground, and everywhere was silent. Like a blanket, the white cover silenced the city like a blackout. Most people stayed inside in their apartments, especially in days when the weather controller malfunctioned, but the streets of Rome was not completely empty this unusually cold day..

An old man in a black coat and holding an umbrella stood by the Grid Terminal, waiting impatiently and smoking. Occasionally, he looked over his shoulder, but most of the time he just stood there under his umbrella. Then, all of a sudden, he saw someone coming from the snowfilled distance.
    "Finally.." the old man said to himself, and threw his cigarette on the ground.
    The person became clearer as he drew closer to the old man, it was an Opifex Male.
    "You`re late" Said the old man and coughed.
    "Smoking is bad for you" grinned the Opifex and looked at the old man. "Unless someone else does, it will kill you for sure."
    The old man sighed and took out a envelope from his coat.
    "Cut the crap."
    He handed the envelope to the Opifex, and without hesitation he added.
    "Everything you need to know is in the letter."
    The Opifex quickly looked over the letter, raising an eyebrow.
    "I see...and Ross..?"
    The old man looked the Opifex in the eyes.
    "Kill her."
    He coughed again, and the Opifex laid a hand on the old man`s shoulder.
    "Don`t worry. I`ll deal with it."
    The old man coughed harder, and breathed for a bit.
    "That`s why I hired you."
    The Opifex turned and started walking away, but turned his head to the old man still standing under his umbrella.
    "You should really see a doctor about that coughing.."

The Opifex disappeared into the snowfilled distance, and the old man lighted a new cigarette. The snow was stilling falling silent, like it was trying to cover up the traces of something that should have remained hidden. For a moment, the old man stood still smoking, but then he activated the grid terminal, and he was gone.

Chapter 1: From bad to worse

I had woken up in my chair with a really bad headache, and even though the snow fell silently outside, it felt like something was hammering my head. I needed a painkiller, and quick. Something to drink wouldn`t been too wrong either, so I had decided to seek out both. Anyone with some common sense would tell me to cut out the drink and just take the painkiller, but I needed something to get me back on track.

It was not that my life was bad or anything. I had friends. A Great Guild. A Solid Reputation within the Omni-Tek Corperation. A Warm appartment, that while could use some cleaning right now, still was my home. It was just that, I needed to get away from the daily threadmill, so I had found myself a new occupation.

I became a nightwalker. I spent my nights walking the streets of Omni-Tek`s cities, looking out for people to help, cases to solve, things to do. This night was not an exception, apart from my terrible headache, so I figured that some fresh cold air would be the best cure.

So, here I was, walking the streets of Trade, with the snow falling gently upon my shoulders and hair, looking for something to do, and something to drink. Either would be fine, both would be great. Knowing my luck, I`d find something else.

Boy was I right.

As I crossed the North East corner of Trade, I noticed a few Omni-Pol Soldiers gathered, talking and doing something I couldn`t quite see. It sure was unusual though, Omni-Tek wasn`t exactly known for being concerned about petty details happening in the night. Curious as I was, I decided to sneak up to peak on them.
    One of the Soldiers was speaking in a communicator.
    "..female, early twenties. Over."
    Murder? My curiosity could have killed a dozen cats. If I didn`t catch a glimpse of it before the scene was cleared, it would be another wasted opportunity.
    "..single gunshot, looks like a Rifle Bullet. Could be a Sniper. No signs of struggling or fighting. Over"
    I couldn`t take it anymore. I peaked from behind the wall I was hiding.

In a pool of frozen blood, a girl laid on the stenched snow. A Bullethole went through her skull. Her face showed neither surprise nor pain, it must have happened too quickly. I sure didn`t like it, Her face was familiar.

"..Identity unknown, we are bringing her in to Omni-Med. Over"

I knew I had seen her before, somewhere. Somewhere high up maybe? Someone famous? And why was the body still there? Why didn`t she resurrect? I had to think, but my head still hurt.

One of the Soldiers raised his voice to the others.
    "Okay Boys, we`re packing up. Clean up this place before the public and press finds out, and head back to Omni-Pol. Watts and Connor, you two stay here and look for some more clues. Report back to the office if you find anything."
    "Got it boss."

It was time for me to leave. I had seen all I needed for now. Now I needed a drink, and I knew just where I would find one.

As I turned around, something blinded my sight. A Giant Gorilla in Omni-Pol Armor blocked my way.
    Like someone who crosses the road on a wrong moment, and looks into the headlight of a ten ton truck, I froze.

"Where do you think you are going!"
    The Gorilla grabbed my arm, and forced me up at the wall. My bones were aching, and I expected them to snap any moment.

Then, the world turned from white, to black.

Chapter 2 coming after the weekend!
    Last edited by Engelen; Feb 26th, 2005 at 12:27:59.
    I'm a runaway train on a broken track,
    I'm a ticker on a bomb that you can't turn back this time,
    that's right, I got away with it all and I'm still alive

Chapter 2: Questions in a world of Blue

When I woke up, I felt worse than ever, and the night had only begun. The Gorilla who had knocked me out stood infront of me, with a Premium Support Beam firmly planted in his hairy fat hand. The place stinked, it looked like some sort of a cellar..or a basement. God, I had to get out of this place.

The Gorilla opened his mouth.
    "What did ya see! Tell me, or I`ll introduce you to my little friend here!"
    What choice did I have?
    "Nothing..I swear, I saw nothing, I was just curious about the noise and peaked around the corner, but as soon as I saw it was police business, I tried to walk away"
    I lied.
    "Uh Huh! Ain`t nice sneakin`up like that! Anyway, you better be glad you didn`t see anything, otherwise my friend here would be happy to silence you!"
    The Gorilla pointed his beam towards me. I did not want to get familiar with it.
    "I`m sorry. I`m really sorry. I really didn`t see anything, I was just around the corner when I heard noise, and I decided to leave the place when I saw the cops where there. None of my business."
    If I didn`t know I was sweating, I could have sworn it was the lies just seeping out thru my skin.
    "That`s right!"
    "Will you please let me go now? I really just want to get back to my apartment and get some sleep and forget all this.."
    "Hmm..I guess it`s okay...I think the Boss will be happy with what I know. But don`t let me catch you snooping around again!"
    "I promise"

Thank god Logic, Reasoning and Intelligence had never been a Atrox`s strong points.

As I was led out the building, and felt the snow falling gently on my sore head, I stopped for a moment to take a breath. I wasn`t surprised when I heard a single gunshot from the top floor in the building.

Guess the "Boss" hadn`t been too happy after all..

I really wanted to get myself some sleep, but I felt the need for answers and a drink was stronger, so I knew exactly where to go. The bar in East Trade`s Superior Shop was known for its quality drinks and the wisest Bartender in Town. Just what I needed. I had questions. Many questions, and he had the answers.
    Ex-Agent, now Bartender Steliar, had been a close friend of me for years, and when I needed help, I knew I could look him up. I counted on him this time too, for giving me some clues.

As I entered the dim lighted bar, I saw him nipping a glass of the classic Aged Brandy that was popular around these corners. He told me it increased his perception, but I wasn`t so sure about that. A few too many drinks of the Aged Brandy and the perception would be fully busy keeping anyone on the feet.
    He looked up from his newspaper and examined me.
    "Rough Night Eng?"
    "If you only knew..."
    "Try me. Can I get you anything?"

I looked behind him.
    "An Extra Large Plumbo Beer would be fine.."
    "Gotcha. So, what`s up?"

He turned around and filled up a large glass of the strongest Beer on Rubi-Ka, and I started filling him in on the details about the night so far. The Murder, The Victim, the Gorilla, the Gunshot. I told him what I knew.
    "And you have no idea who the girl was?"
    Steliar threw the newspaper right infront of me. The headlights screamed like sirens in my head, words burning themselves into my eyes.

It was Ross`s Daughter.

I had been at the crime scene and was found by the cops.

I looked at Steliar.
    "Impossible...it couldn`t be here! She`d be resurrected the second she fell?"
    Steliar sat down on his chair behind the bar.
    "That`s why killing someone isn`t usually a very normal thing around here. As soon as the main system registers that your pulse stops and your life ends, it recreates you from the last time you scanned your DNA. Even if you had never scanned yourself, you would still be brought back to the first time you were registered in the system."
    "So why not now?"
    "That`s the million dollar question, isn`t it"

He took a sip from his Brandy, and continued.
    "Look, if you want to kill someone, its not enough to put a bullet through the head. It`s not like the old times. To kill someone, can only be done by somehow ereasing them from the main system."
    "So you`re saying someone must have first deleted her from the system, and then shot her, killing her for good?"

Steliar put the glass on the table.
    "Yep. Breaks yer heart, doesn`t it."
    "But who would such an awful thing? She never did anyone anything, not even the clans?"
    "Logic can only tell me so much Eng. I`m sure Omni-Pol have something to do with it though..I see you already figured out the gunshot."
    "Heh, The Gorilla..well, I don`t feel bad for him, he almost broke my arm and blacked me out. I was ten inches away from getting my face smashed in by a Support Beam. He had it coming."
    "I`m worried though. This Boss the Gorilla talked about, he knows you were there. He most likely shot the Gorilla because the Gorilla let you go, and he have probably started hunting you."
    "Great.."

The world was slowly spinning. The questions and answers rotating like moons, and the more I tried to catch up, the more I fell behind.
    "Listen Eng..I recommend you go into hiding, at least until you can figure out what`s going on now. Even this Bar ain`t safe.."
    "I see...I guess you are right Steliar. I better not put you in danger by staying here, so I guess I should be on my way."
    "That would probably be best. Anyway, be safe you hear. Even I have no idea what kind of means Omni-Pol would use to get you, but I don`t think they would qualify as comfortable."

I didn`t have to think much to understand what kind of means he were talking about, so I quickly grabbed my Tank Armor and walked out the door. In the door opening, I turned to Steliar.
    "Thanks."
    "Always."

It was cold outside. It had stopped snowing, and it was a clear moonlit night, so I decided to walk over to the grid. The snow crunched under my feet as I followed the road to the grid.
    "Click-Chak!"
    Suddenly, I heard the unmistakable sound of a gun being loaded. I felt the cold metal pressed against my neck. My heart was beating fast, and the unknown person started talking with a low gruff voice.
    "Be a good girl and sleep now.."
    I could hear how he slowly pulled the trigger.
    "Goodnight."

The last thing I heard was the muffled piff of the gun, and everything turned black.

Chapter 3 Coming soon!

((Now this is some damn good reading))
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

Chapter 3: A Personal Ground Zero

The room was filled with smoke. Thick, dense smoke that swirled around, rising from a fat cigar, in the hands of a sharp dressed old man. In front of him, stood a Solitus Soldier, dressed up Armed Forces Armor, with his helmet taken off.
    "Sir, I did as you told me. The plans have been set in motion."
    "Excellent...The Cops are on stand by?"
    "Yes Sir, we are monitoring her now, and we`ll bring her in at a suitable place"

The old man coughed, looked for his breath and smiled.
    "I like you. Ever since I found you, you`ve been my best guy."
    "Thank you sir. The other guy..."
    "The one who shot the girl? He`s on a...what should we call it...Permanent Vacation..bwahaha!"
    "I see. Well, in light of recent events, I assume that was the plan?"
    "Can`t let em trace me boy."

The old man put his cigar in his mouth, laid back into his chair and grinned.
    "Won`t let em. Put her on my screen, I wanna watch the show!"

I had woken up, deep frozen and confused. All I remembered was the unknown gunman pinning me down, pulling the trigger, making my world turn to black. But he didn`t kill me. He didn`t pull my plug. He let me live. Why? If someone was after me, either cause I knew something I shouldn`t, or if I was considered the suspect in the case and immediate execution by all means would be taken into action, they would have killed me, not put me to sleep.

The questions ravaged my head like a pack of lions, my limbs hurt and I could hardly move. I was most likely suffering from a hypothermia, and if I didn`t stabilize my temperature soon, it would be too late.

But what could I do..I couldn`t walk. I could hardly move my hands around. I couldn`t even focus on buffing myself. If I could only warm my hands, if I could only activate my Fists of Fire, I could get my body temperature back online. But I had no chance. I couldn`t move my hands enough to buff.

All I could do, was just lying there, not feeling my legs and hardly my arms and hands. All I could do was to pray that the bastards who shot me hadn`t unplugged me, for unless I could find a way inside and get my temperature back up now, I`d pass away.

Maybe that wouldn`t be so bad. After all, I`d end up in Borealis, back on my feet.

I hoped. I reached for the termination security lock on my belt, and slowly released the lock. The Terminate button was secured in a titanium layered part of the belt, to prevent it from being hit or accessed in unwanted times. The only way to activate it, was by doing it manually.
    I entered the code on the button, and the button lit up. My hand, shakingly, pressed it.

To hell with the five hundred thousand points of experience I had gotten from the last team.

A Female voice sounded inside my ear.
    Warning. Self Termination Activated. One Minute til execution.
    Considering I had to choose between freezing to death, which could take quite a few hours, and dying painfree in an instant, my choice was clear.
    Warning. Self Termination Activated. 10 Seconds til execution.
    I closed my eyes.

The old man slammed his fist on the table.
    "What the hell happened?! Where did she go?!"
    The Soldier looked at the screen.
    "She disappeared..I wonder..."
    "How`s that possible! Has the Transmitter malfunctioned?"
    "It can`t Sir, that`s impossible. It will stay active as long as the host is alive..but it might be possible that she died or terminated..in that case, the transmitter would simply disappear because its not a part of her DNA structure...but.."

The old man drew a gun and slammed it into the face of the Soldier.
    "Find out what happened, and do it quick!"
    The Soldier ran out the door, and reached for his communicator.
    I need ten units from department OTAF ASAP, Over."

At First, The world was white. Then, shades started appearing, then, forming into shapes. The shapes became more clear, and I felt my heart starting to beat.
    Welcome back Engelen. Your Resurrection was Successful. You lost five hundred and eightynine points of Shadowlands Knowledge. Your items will be located in the Reclaim Terminal. Have a nice day.
    I opened my eyes, staring right into the barrel of ten guns.

Crap.

"OMNI POLICE! Engelen, you are under arrest, charged with the murder of Victoria Ross! Terminate any kind of buffs you may be using, raise your hands slowly so we can see them, and don`t move!"

Chapter 4 coming soon!

(OOC: Really sorry for the lack of updates, suffering from a bad writers block right now, but I hope I can finish it soon )