Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: On the nature of the AO setting

Originally posted by Borrace

the only thing we're missing is a messiah type figure to lead the clans. we got the sandworms.
    Yeah, the first time I saw one, I was really tempted to just /prostrate and /shout "Shai-hulud!!!" over and over until it ate me.

But only for a second. Instead, I ran like the scared little boy I was.
    - Machiavelli - RK1 Clan Bureaucrat

Under "Other, Additional Information" I listed "main is bureaucrat"

PLEASE

this is for those of u haters and morons. we true ao fans love the story line and have nothing against some details that cant be xplained by science further more this is not a book and this is not a science report ! this is a game and in so it has no need to stick by any particualar rules as long as the story line and the characters professions etc are cool ! its fine by us with a little sese in our heads .. also it has no need of a truly deep story cause the players create the story as they go along this is not final fantasy or baldorsgate ur not playing this against A.I ! so if u think it has the story line as good as Tetris its just cause u suck ur self and cant create ur own adventures .. storys and so on and thus completly failed to c the meaning of an online RPG.. yes i think u should stick by SP games.

Borrace:

1 year down 3 to go. Can you hold your breath that much longer you sad little boy.

What part of 4 year story line DON'T you get?
    Wizard's First Rule, people are stupid.
    Wizard's Eigth Rule- Deserve Victory. -Terry Goodkind / Author

My 100th post!

I Am A: Chaotic Good Elf Ranger
    Find outWhat D&D Character Are You?

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

Re: On the nature of the AO setting

Originally posted by Cosmik
    A new article written by Game Director Gaute Godager is out.

"This article will tell you something about the direction of the game, and how it will evolve through the setting and the story.
    ROFL! Story? What story?
    Primordiax RPG - Our World, Your Imagination
    http://www.primordiax.com

Muckbeast - MMO Game Developer Blog
    http://www.muckbeast.com

Ummm, you might have been absent the past two weeks so I think you should take a look at the main website.

Originally posted by Karine "Shyenia" Ganes
    Borrace:

1 year down 3 to go. Can you hold your breath that much longer you sad little boy.

What part of 4 year story line DON'T you get?
    I think he has problem that we realy have not got a story for an entire year (well, most of a year anyway).
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

Well then that I can understand since I was getting antsy in the chair looking for more story development. But it did start up again in the last couple weeks and so I am in game looking for events to participate in again. Hopefully we won't see a dry spell that big again.
    Wizard's First Rule, people are stupid.
    Wizard's Eigth Rule- Deserve Victory. -Terry Goodkind / Author

My 100th post!

I Am A: Chaotic Good Elf Ranger
    Find outWhat D&D Character Are You?

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

AO Setting

Lets have a war poeple!

Clans get you gear together and put the smackdown on Omni-1
    Omni's get your guns and prepare to fight for what you think is right.

Let have a war and clean up this place!

-Wyldhawk
    Onmi-Tek Loyalist
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Question Story?

As was posted above:

"AO has as much storyline as Tetris. It was true a year ago and it is still true now."

I know there are documentaries about events that supposedly happen in Rubi-Ka, but I always thought they were fluff to put on the website.

I've never seen anything in-game that even remotely resembled a story.

re

I think I read somewhere that shadowlands is the fallen garden of eden. *sighs* If this game is going to become cookie cutter GvE infused with hebronic myth, I think my days will be short lived here.

One of the things I like about sci fi over fantasy, is usually the lack of gods and all that business. Now it looks like the so called metaphysical mysteries are going to be boring GvE tempered with religious myth.

This is one of the things that is going to keep me out of starwars, the force and the good/evil thing is old, been dealing with it since the first movie around 76 I believe. I am done.

I don't need a messiah or King Arthur types in my sci fi, thanks but no thanks.

I should note I EXPECT extremes polar types and some standard affair, but I do not want that as the center piece of the work, just a supporting addition.

true AO may have a stroyline to it but also true only a handful of actualy players are involved in it. Its all well and good putting certain orgs actions in some form of fictional news paper but that is only a minority of players that it reaches that can relate to it. When i first heard about AO having an interactive story that the players could effecvtivly err effect i got me intrigued and made me buy the game last year on its european release. at the time of luanch it seemd that the story did involve the community but soon thereafter slowed down to a snails pace as both sides conducted "peace" talks. the players didnt want peace but we got a sort of peace anyway, the players wanted full conflict, black and white with no shades of grey. both sides wanted you either with them or against them and if you were neutral then you were against them. the players wanted to effect the story in ways that were easily accesable to them all, open and bloody conflict raging across the planet. we didnt get this and instead have to sit through more useless progressive storylines. In all honesty i dont think that players will ever be able to influence the story how funcom thought they could. Funcom now have to take a look at how they can improve this and change it so that EVERY player from lvl 1 up tp 200 can have some sort of involvment with the story that doesnt just involve playing the game. there should be missions that crop up in mission booths that could realte to the overall story and are rare or something and before you know it what turned out to be a routine purge of some sewer systems has uncoverd clan survielance equipment in omni 1. i hope funcom listen to the players like they have in the past and look at how they can get more players involved in the story as with the right system it could be very effective and fun.

Talking

We got the Tir river cleaned up didn't we ?!?
    Flapsie Clan Nanomage NT, Former Knights of Rubi-Ka
    Now: Ancarim Iron Legion
    Many alts from all Professions...
    -----------------------------------------------
    "The man with a new idea is a crank, until the idea succeeds" -
    Mark Twain

It is hard to RP with no real story. The green named players acting rude has been funny though. Bring back the OT Heralnd announcements!
    . : Oldskule - 87 Martial Artist RK1 Kung Fu Fighter! : .

. : Ternak - 112 Soldier RK1 *Dead* : .

. : Jenerik - 8 Enforcer RK1 Just another generic Enforcer : .

Cool

I hope it will get better when Notum Wars get online...
    Flapsie Clan Nanomage NT, Former Knights of Rubi-Ka
    Now: Ancarim Iron Legion
    Many alts from all Professions...
    -----------------------------------------------
    "The man with a new idea is a crank, until the idea succeeds" -
    Mark Twain

I want my Ph47 Doc loot , when will that be implemented :P
    while ur at it give my doc some pharma trade skills so i can go underground and RP that im selling illegal narcotics in AO :P

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789