Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: On the nature of the AO setting

Players Fault

well, I think alot of the reason the storyline has floundered is because players have not read the basic material and chosen a side based on that and roleplayed it.

I play mostly clan, but when I started I had an OMNI, and my whole plan was to plan her EVIL, as a corporate number trying to get one less digit [ as in going from employee number 1153 to 894 ] and I noticed that not many people were playing Omnis that Evil and I decided to try clan as I found I was helping N00bs to figure out the game.

I have since started going over to my omni now and then and when I play them, I play EVIL. NO you can't have anything of MinE! You are cutting into MY profit! Clanners are Stifling my chance at getting a promotion because they are slowing the Expansion of the corporate machine here on Rubi-Ka!. ETC

If everyone played Omni as Evil and clan as Good, and figured out what Neutral meant[ I actually met a neutral guild that's goal is to crush Omni-tek and take the planet for themselves *_* I asked how is that not like the Clan? and they said, cause the planet would be for US, not the Clan.] then the story would be Easy to see and the sides would be Defined.

Funcom has had a tough time as much because PLAYERS have screwed things up, in choosing the wrong side, or trying to bend the game to what they want, instead of playing the game AO is.

Omni= Evil, so start playing Evil or switch to Clan.
    Clan= Good, Start acting good, :P
    Neutral= soon to be Evil, profitting in from the war without getting in the conflict is just about as Evil as Omni-Tek, though again, with people not choosing the right sides this choice has been blurred as well.

So please people, look at your Characters and start playing them Based on the Game you chose to play.

and Funcom, though I am not really a PvPer, I do agree, Polarizing the population requires More 25% zones. more risk, more loss at the hands of the enemy.
    If you are Failing to Plan,

You are Planning to Fail.

Let me summerize this entire article. SWG=bad, shadowlands = good.

Post SWG+1 year=AO

This may sound like I hate SWG but im gonna be the first in line for it.
    As I have skimmed over this post I find that many people have said that as soon as SWG comes out they are going to switch. If anyone thinks that a mmrpg is going to be good out of the box has been seriously mislead. There is always going to be a class that sucks and a class that is uber. SO they release a patch, then say they find that somewhere you can fall through the floor and land upstairs, there gonna realese a patch. Sombody will always find something wrong and exploit it, then somebody else will go to the message boards and complain about it, then the company will get frustrated and stop getting involved with the story to fix more things, then somebody will start complaining about the lack of story... you get the picture. Eventually the game will turn into a leveling treadmill and lose some custimers to the newer "better" mmrpg that will be the greatist thing since the last one. Youll see one year from now people will be talking about how much crud SWG is. People get lazy and stop partisipating in events, so the people stop making events. THats the fate of all mmrpgs. Lets just hope Funcom can stop screwing up and make some sieges or something, because AC is callin my name.
    P.S I know the number of grammitical errors rivals the population of china but please im tired and its hot.
    Last edited by Hukio; Jul 12th, 2002 at 22:54:58.

Re: Evil? I'm Omni, not evil...

Originally posted by Dominata
    How exactly will you be able to show our true inner selfs? I am Omni, am I therefore truly evil or is it merely guilt by association?
    By now, that should be obvious. Think about it. Wouldn't it make sense (and be an easy cop-out) if the Shadowlands just show us that we're "all the same inside?" Deep stuff, huh? Wow! Pshh...

I'm really nervous of this this "light vs. dark" thing, this business of "good vs. evil." It sounds as though FC are trying to squeeze out the neutral alignment. I realize that it was never FunCom's intent to make "Neutral" a viable long-term choice, but it happened. Of course, maybe it's going to turn out like some cheesy plotline that "unites the people of Rubi-Ka as one" and has us all "battling the oppressive forces of evil." I agree that AO is NOT science-fiction. It's got plasma guns and blasters and high-tech swords and bows, but the science isn't there. I still love the game, don't get me wrong, i'm just sorry to see that the backdrop is getting more foo-foo than it already is.

But I digress...

What bothers me even more is that the players have at their disposal an amazing setting. No, it's not a storyline, not anymore. Elements of fiction include (but are not limited to) Setting, Theme, Plot, and Character. We've been given a totally killer setting and a loose (relatively unrestricted) theme. Nobody has trouble with the character part, obviously. However, I'm constantly baffled by the average player's complete inability and terminal unwillingness to make anything of these elements by adding their own plotlines to it. "Omni-Tek fights the Clans" is not plot. "An OT official gets a hot tip from a neutral tinkerer (engineer?) while his Yalm' is in the shop, and uses that information to strike a stifling blow against his department's closest rival among the Clans." That's mo'f**kin' plot.

FunCom gave us a storyline. For whatever reason (and I don't pretend to know what that reason was), it failed miserably. Now that FC has backed off, people are griping about how there's no storyline any longer, and now that the storyline is returning, some of those same people are complaining about the direction it's taking. Meanwhile, FC are ignoring the little bits of constructive criticism that are there, probably due to the massive amounts of BS they have to wade through to find anything remotely worthwhile coming out of any of your mouths.

If you're not willing to cook for yourself, you're gonna eat whatever mom makes for dinner. Quit with the gripes.

And, mom (FC), listen to your kids. *obligatory self-facing issue here* If they don't wanna be political, don't make 'em. Please. Please don't.
    Dierdrah -- President, Baker Street Conspiracy (RK2)

"No, I'm not some transgender roleplaying pervert. A distinction would be appropriate, thanks."

Angry oh hell...

It is worrying to read a message from the game director, and realize that he wants to kill the things that make AO worth playing.

"Less shades of grey"? Yeah, give us one more cookie-cutter good vs. evil scenario, yawn. The interesting thing about AO has always *been* the shades of grey. Are the clans "good" or "evil"? Arguments exist for both. Same goes for Omni. In "reality", good and evil and stupid labels and rarely apply to anything, *people* are shades of grey by nature.

The problem has not been the shades of grey, but the fact that neither the clans or omni has has any direction. Omni is supposed to be a corporation, with a chain of command. Is that visible in the game? Nope. Likewise, the clans are supposed to have at least some structurer. Missing also, though less harmful to the game than the Omni problem.

I could not care less whether the game is called science fiction or fantasy (I'd place it as "science fantasy" myself , but what worries me is the guiding force of the game is trying to make it into something that sounds cliche and vapid to me. Good vs. Evil scenarios are dime a dozen.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but... I don't like what I've just read. Not one bit.

Re: Players Fault

Originally posted by NanoKiss
    Neutral= soon to be Evil, profitting in from the war without getting in the conflict is just about as Evil as Omni-Tek, though again, with people not choosing the right sides this choice has been blurred as well.
    I have heared that in the Shadow Lands both clanners and omni appear as evil (but look different). Neutrals are the only good ones there. Not sure if that was changed though.

Re: Players Fault

Originally posted by NanoKiss
    well, I think alot of the reason the storyline has floundered is because players have not read the basic material and chosen a side based on that and roleplayed it.

I play mostly clan, but when I started I had an OMNI, and my whole plan was to plan her EVIL, as a corporate number trying to get one less digit [ as in going from employee number 1153 to 894 ] and I noticed that not many people were playing Omnis that Evil and I decided to try clan as I found I was helping N00bs to figure out the game.

I have since started going over to my omni now and then and when I play them, I play EVIL. NO you can't have anything of MinE! You are cutting into MY profit! Clanners are Stifling my chance at getting a promotion because they are slowing the Expansion of the corporate machine here on Rubi-Ka!. ETC

If everyone played Omni as Evil and clan as Good, and figured out what Neutral meant[ I actually met a neutral guild that's goal is to crush Omni-tek and take the planet for themselves *_* I asked how is that not like the Clan? and they said, cause the planet would be for US, not the Clan.] then the story would be Easy to see and the sides would be Defined.

Funcom has had a tough time as much because PLAYERS have screwed things up, in choosing the wrong side, or trying to bend the game to what they want, instead of playing the game AO is.

So please people, look at your Characters and start playing them Based on the Game you chose to play.

and Funcom, though I am not really a PvPer, I do agree, Polarizing the population requires More 25% zones. more risk, more loss at the hands of the enemy.
    So...you would have all the Clanners running around with flowers in their hair and all Omni's parading around Omni-HQ in sinister grey uniforms, shouting evil slogans? How much fun would that be, it would kill the game in a minute...

Pegging this whole story as a good versus evil story is simply not working. Why can't they simply let it be an armed conflict with the Neutrals in between? The goal would still be the same, to gain control over Rubi-Ka, and everyone can be who ever they want to be.
    The Coca-Cola Company is by many regarded as an evil Corporation that is more or less trying to conquer the world. Does this make everyone working for them evil? Do they just hire evil persons to do their evil, evil work? Not really, right?

The problem with the good versus evil thing is that the story is not about the people, it is about the Clan versus Omni-Tek. As soon as players entered AO they started "screwing things up". Why? Because we are human, just like the people working for "evil" Corporations here. All MMORPG's are shaped to a certain extent by the players, which is the whole idea behind this kind of game. To accuse us of "screwing things up" is stupid, sorry...

The only thing FC has to do is to remove the "good vs evil" tag and make it more like how it would be in any sci-fi book, rivalry for the control of a planet with good and bad people on both sides and shifting the focus slightly.
    Dominata
    Member of THM

arg!

the whole point of the original story/conflict
    was that both sides could feel like thy were the good guys.
    just like it works in the real world.

IMO
    Omni-Tek = lawful governement
    Clan = terrorists

but to a Clan member, they probably see themselves as rightous.
    (like all terrorists do)

now you say that I'm a "baddie", and therefore my side is sure to lose.

great.
    first you dumb down the rules. then you dumb down the plot.

WTF is happening there at Funcom?
    What happened to the people who made this game?
    Where did all the great creative minds go?

You don't even understand your own game anymore.
    You don't know what made the game special.

AO now, compared to AO at release, feels like a Disney remake of the original.

AO was Star Wars. AO is now The Phantom Menace.

Relativity

Well this will be my last ever post, after alot of consideration and this latest News article i have quit AO. Dont get me wrong I have enjoyed some of my stay on Ruby Ka, but there are good reasons for my permenant departure. I have spent time reading most of the posts on this thread, and there is quite a divide of oppinion over the latest posted article. When the game was relesed and even in Beta there was a `to-do` list. Namely implementing the one winning card funcom was going to play that would let AO stand head and shoulders above the opposition. This was the ever evolving story, that was dictated by players actions in game. Any long termer will quite unhappily tell you this never appeared `IN GAME` in any way shape or form. So why should `SHADOWLANDS` be an excepton to this rule? Call me synical but it just smacks of a marketing scam from Funcom to prolong an already doomed games lifespan. I dont believe for one second Shadowlands was ever ENVISIONED FROM THE START, it is purely to sate the bordom and tedium of the longstanding,manipulated and conned players of this game.

How can we as a playing community believe any words from Funcom, every patch that has been relesed has been a double edged sword, sometimes addressing problems and fixes, but also creating many more ( I`m not going to go into examples as I`m sure we are all aware of many). I find it insulting as an adult to be promised somthing for a patch, then it either not happen or for there to be conditions added that were previously not mentioned (the latest advnturers patch anyone?). I dont apreciate spending my hard earned money monthly on a service which consistantly fails to deliver on its promises, and those that are met are often a hollow pale immitation of what it should have been. I also find it interesting to see that the patching process has sped up considerably now there are definitive relese dates for certain other MMORPG`s, unsurprisingly around the same date. Again shadowlands and the recent changes seem more of a marketing ploy than ever before. Please Funcom refute tis statement I`d love to hear your justification.

The strongest of my annoyances are how we as a community are treated. To my knowledge requests and suggestions on the forums as to the direction of the game have been fantastic. There is a whole host of creativity from you lot (the players) none of which in my eyes has been to make your profession/ gaming experiance UBER. Just more entertaining, adding dsepartly needed depth. Also Funcom has been renoned for its polls, does everyone remember the `WHO LIKES SPAWN CAMPING` poll? I certainly do and hands up who noticed a change after that reastounding landslide victory of "NO WE HATE SPAWN CAMPING"???? If there was a change then i certainly diddnt notice it. Either that or it was patched. It is quite plain to see that Funcom`s developers are either very arrogant, hugely complacent, or just plain stupid. To not listen to the community and to even (on some occasions) follow out the wishes of the players to the letter is beyond belief. Have they not studied the problems encountered by older MMORPG`s that diddnt listen to the players? I`m assuming they diddnt. It seems that we as a community are seen as lesser beings in the develpment process and evolution of this game and are treated with the contempt we so richly deserve. Funcoms attitue seems like that of the prize musroom grower.. Feed them S**T and keep them in the dark.
    All in all my point to anyone who is in doubt over their long term AO futureis... take it from me as a player of over a year. When the game started the whole world was just AO.. ruby ka.. its conflict and its factions nothing more nothing less, this HAS NEVER AND WILL NEVER BE REALISED. The story could not be done PERIOD. This task was obviously way too hard to acheive. The Professions were very distinct and varied, now they are a shallow joke of what was originally ment. Missions will not change, and apart from more Visually very pretty static dungeons there will be no soul to the game or to the acompishment of these missions. Just more items of negligable worth that are NODROP, (for NODROP READ BETWWEN THE LINES PEOPLE.. it means items that you have to mission for because there is BUGGER ALL ELSE TO DO). I feel cheated out of the game that was suppost to happen, infact we have all been cheated out of that with Funcoms consistant non-delivery of the goods that were suppost to set this apart from the other MMORG`s. Its SO VERY EASY to justify this new expansion pack with a rambling essay on the CLASSIFICATION OF WHAT SCIENCE FICTION is, Sorry but I dont buy that utter rubbish for one second. Just run this last statement around your head for a while and see what conclusions you come to......

THE FACTS OF THE PAST SPEAK VOLUMES ABOUT THE FUTURE, YOU HAVENT DELIVERED UP TO NOW, SO WHY IS IT GOING TO CHANGE IN THE FUTURE?

Oh and to anyone that knew any of my alts.. take care and good luck with all of your future ventures my friends....

NEVER EAT YELLOW SNOW

PinkIdustrys inc.....

Kungfoomonk.... deleted
    Bubbabebobob... deleted
    UncleArnie... deleted
    Freybentos... deleted
    Tegemoc... deleted
    Whodas... deleted
    TedSpoons... deleted

Don't let the door hit your a*s on the way out. Jeez, try a spell checker, by the way. You even mispelled your own tagline at the end...

Whoa...tough to follow a post like that...

A few quick points and ponderances from one of the less loquacious denizens...

Pink - Whoa...dude...take some ritalyn. Seriously tho, I agree with you on the lack of story. Personally, I just feel it leaves me free to make up my own stories. I mean, the last three letters in the classification of this game's genre are RPG. Granted, most people see players who actually RP full time in-game as "tools", "dorks", and "fanboys/girls". Hey, if that's your attittude, go play Quake. The inability to take and hold territory is a major issue with AO, yes. The suppression gas idea has to be one of the weakest efforts on record, yes. Will these issues ever be resolved to our satisfaction? Probably not. I try not to ***** about it too much because frankly I can't program that well. If I could I would be writing up code and sending it to FC with a letter saying "Implement this and your players will stop *****ing". If any of ya'll out there can create a better persistent world RPG, feel free to do so.

Omni = Evil. Clans=Good:

Who says? Your character is what you make of it. There are good and bad people in all walks of life, occupying jobs in every corporation or Mom and Pop store. I play Omni, and here is the explanation I came up with to rationalize why my character is still working for them:

Omni found the Notum on Rubi-Ka and Notum is a very rare and valuable substance which is desperately needed throughout the galaxy. Notum aids manufacturing and medical pursuits which are very important to the survival of the species. Seen from outside, Omni is in the right, because as a megacorp, they have the resources to mine and transport Notum from this tiny outpost planet all across the galaxy better than anyone else. If Omni doesn't meet production quotas and deadlines, maybe a little girl needing nanotreatment for her burns gets an infection and dies. Maybe a factory relying on nanos has to shut down and hundreds of workers lose their jobs. Maybe that factory produced machines that helped in agriculture in some way. Now the farmers can't harvest the food and all the people relying on that food starve to death.

Just a thought.

Also, maybe they'll relate whether you're good/bad in Shadowlands to what missions you choose to take at the terminals. Bad news for all of us that have been putting those sliders on Bad/Money all this time

As for Funcom and their general lack response to consumer outrage, here is one cynical guy's take:

[cynicism]
    People are level-treadmilling sheep. The vast majority don't care about play balance, storyline, etc as long as they can level up in a cool setting. Those of us who long for the promised storyline are but a dwindling minority. By the time we cancel, most of us have put 6 months to a year into AO and countless hours into our chars. At $12.95 US a month for a year, that's $155.40 you've handed over to FC. Consider AO has (just to make it easy) 10,000 subscribers that stayed for a year and then left because of lack of content.. That's $15,540,000 in a year. Funcom has just made their money back and then some, and more people have subscribed to take the place of those who left. The new subscribers probably won't start getting unhappy with the lack of content for a while, so FC is still safe. No need to address our concerns. Even if AO flounders in another couple of years, they'ss still have made a boatload of cheddar, and all they have to do is string us along for long enough to make the investment worthwhile.
    [/cynicism]

I'm sure the folks at FC don't really think like that, but who knows what lurks in the hearts of evil corporations like them.

Okay, maybe I am a bit loquacious.
    Thehorseman : RK1

"I must have beer. Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little drink that brings total inebriation. I will drink my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only pretzels will remain."-Litany Against Sobriety

If we, the players of AO, got everything that we wanted we would all be uber, no one would be able to kill anybody in PvP and we would solo lvl 200 missions when we were at lvl 100.

Some changes have been made thanks to player input (screaming and ranting) but a lot of really good suggestions that we have seen here on the Forums will never be implemented.
    Why? Because of bad design.
    It seems like FC have painted themselves into a corner from the start, and even small changes seems to get dire consequences in the form of new bugs or old ones reappearing.
    They released the game way too early, beta testers have said this countless times and this is what haunts AO still. By not testing enough they launched with a system that was wide open to exploits, abuse and twinking. Basically they are still dealing with the aftermath of the launch, one year ago.

Now, with the changes Shadowlands will bring this will probably happen all over again. There is pressure on FC to bring this out, of course, and it is a proper business strategy to launch the game when they are supposed to but since they can probably not afford to let Shadowlands slip, it too will ship in an unfinished state.

I'm worried...
    Dominata
    Member of THM

After having read all the background info I could get my hands on, I was wondering when the story would expand from Omni vs Clan to something bigger. In fact, the whole Omni-Clan thing seems very insignificant compared to the hints of greater conflicts coming to a boil on Rubi-Ka after thousands of years of heating up. So when I started playing the game to see the only thing talked about was 'I'm omni-pol, die scummy clanner.' or 'I'm a dirty clanner here to keel you uptight Omni scum', I was pretty dissapointed. What about the outzone? What really happened to the first exploration team? What happened to the Omni Colonization ships? Why is there an immortal human being flying towards Rubi-Ka for the last thousands of years? Who were those 'humans' who started this whole chain of events back in the 1970s. (If some of the answers are in the novel, then blah.) Why is Rubi-Ka the final battleground for humanity's future? In light of all that, the Omni-Clan thing was silly. It's almost as if you needed something to keep people occupied while you finished figuring out what the story was gonna be. I'm even feeling that Shadowlands IS the real story, and AO as it is now with all it's bugs was what many long time players have claimed it to be. Nothing but a commercial beta. So will the real game be out then in the form of Shadowlands?

The websight is sorely lacking as well. This game is over a year old and there's one short story under the fiction link. There are a whole three characters under 'People who've made themselfs noticed.' I'm willing to bet that it's the same three that have been there for the last year.

In game events. Laugh. While I'm very happy for the .2% of the gaming population that have the GMs ears and are able to participate in GM lead clan raids etc, I think the other 99.8% of AO is fairly frustrated at the seeming lack of events. I was 'lucky' enough to be on one of those raids. It was very very poorly done. A bunch of greenies leading us around looking for clanners to kill. Now, for the vast majority of unsuspecting players, being killed in a 75% zone by a supposed NPC, while dying as if killed by a player seems...wierd. Yes, live and let learn, but these events might be better off if the greenies actually did some preparation and worked both sides. This group leads these omnis around looking for clanners. Another group leads clanners around looking for omnis. Coordinate together to 'find' each other. Less innocents and afkers being 'ganked' by greenies. Less wandering around empty zones while the monotone voice of Commander blahblah is saying 'We have reports of Clan activity in 2HO.' Go to 2HO. Completely empty. *chuckle* Again, coordination. It takes a little effort, but GMs are paid employess right? Make them work.

The news clippings are as many have said, a joke. I can go to Tir right now and kill every guard in sight. You could write an article about the sadist Omni employee who snapped and went on a rampage through Tir. Who cares? Does it affect a damn thing? No. It doesn't. If your actions don't affect anything, then it's not dynamic. That's why people laugh at the term dynamic storyline.

What's really pathetic are the so called 'rpers' who call everyone else an idiot for not making their own story. No offense, but I think most of us realize that. We seem to be talking about two different things. What many of us want is some way that can affect the big picture. Not who's the best DJ on Rubi-Ka.

It just saddens me because the world of AO has/had so much potential for a story. And while I could rp with friends till my head burst, it would be nice for some 'offical' guidance. I understand that you, Funcom, are a small gaming company. I just wish maybe you'd thought of that before claiming that you'd provide a game with a dynamic storyline. And I'm still gonna be a little peeved that Shadowlands looks to be where the real story is played out. However, because I am very curious as to the STORY element of AO, I'll probably buy it just for the chance to learn more. I wish you would let your writer out from under the stairs...reading his work is frankly more enjoyable then running missions every day.

Oh, also...if you really wanted there to be a conflict between Omni-Tek and Clan, then here's some tips. Clan and Omni characters can not see each other's names. As an omni, when I see Nikkidial, I don't seek 'Nikkidial'. I see 'Super Uber Clanner' or something along the lines. (Veteran Clan Nanotechnician etc.) Make it so sides can't team with each other at all. Neutrals can team with anyone. I would even say get rid of 75+% zones. If you really want to keep the peace in Omni-Trade, jam it packed with ql 300 guards or something. But at least there's a CHANCE that the clans could lead a coordinated assualt on Trade to kill off some Omnis. THAT would be worthy of a news article. Anyways, it seems like you at Funcom are suffering from a lack of manpower, and a slew of incompetent GMs. But of course, that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Zylina; Jul 13th, 2002 at 04:13:19.

Re: Evil? I'm Omni, not evil...

Originally posted by Dominata
    I have really only two things to add to what had been said here and I'll start with a little quote...

How exactly will you be able to show our true inner selfs? I am Omni, am I therefore truly evil or is it merely guilt by association?
    No, there's a new device that comes in the box- you strap it to your head and it reads your mind.

Of *course* you're evil. That was fairly clear all along, I thought. If you want to play a good guy, grab the form and switch over to clan. It's as simple as that.

I'm sorry- but so many of these huge sweeping complaints just seem silly. People go out of their way to get pissed off. It's just a game, guys.

Unhappy

Please start a storyline and GM it well....if you do, all will be forgiven. I know the old storyline is damaged from writers leaving. I can understand your plight! Just modify the plans or start something new. It doesnt have to be brilliant. It just has to BE. If you wait until the Shadowlands pack is ready, it will be too late. You have to set Shadowlands up with a story well in advance, otherwise it will fall flat.

Please start the storyline...again
    Travesty
    martial arts has-been
    freedom fighter
    teen idol

"Dont hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because Im sleeping with your girlfriend."

Re: Re: Evil? I'm Omni, not evil...

Originally posted by Cat Atomic

Of *course* you're evil. That was fairly clear all along, I thought. If you want to play a good guy, grab the form and switch over to clan. It's as simple as that.
    Clear, eh?

Let's check the facts:

-Omni-Tek were first on Rubi-Ka
    -Omni-Tek scientists discover Notum.
    -Omni-Tek applys to the ICC and becomes the legal leaseholder of Rubi-Ka
    -Rubi-Ka was terraformed by Omni-Tek
    -Omni-Tek established civilization on Rubi-Ka
    -Omni-Tek supplys the universe with nanotechnology that
    enchances the lives of trillions.

Omni-Teks claim over Rubi-Ka is legal. Omni-Tek = government.

then:

-Mine-workers, upset about at thier bad career choice,
    decide to kill a bunch of police officers, rather than just quit.
    (if you dont like Omni-Tek, nothing is stopping you from leaving)
    -This starts a small rebellion.
    -SOL Banking Corp sees this as an opportunity for financial gain,
    and begins to supply Clan members with weapons in exchange
    for stolen shipments of Notum.
    -Clan members, too stupid to realize they are being used,
    wage a war against Omni-Tek (the government) to 'free'
    a planet that they have no legal claim to.

This is called terrorism. Clans = terrorists.

The Clans are trying to steal Rubi-Ka on behalf of SOL Banking.
    (who just want to steal the precious Notum)

Thumbs down Bye, bye AO (ALLLLRRRIIIGGGGHHHTTT!!)

If you wanna change the name you still can and people will know what you are talking about. You can call it Anarchy Offline (still AO) because it seems like everything on your side is so fubar. You don't know what you want. Now the story line is gone (as others have already said) there is nothing to do but mission our brains out. If i wanna go around killing monster after monster i will go play a FPS and acutally be able to have some controll. ALSO this game was supposed to be a mmoRPG, but without the storyline the RPG factor tends to drop cause there is no point in taking a role in a story with out a plot. I would just like to say, if it isn't obvious at this point that i cancelled my account COMPLETELY because of these reasons. I am going back to RtCW till a better game comes out (SWG or Shadowbane). I would suggest you all do the same.

Omni = Evil. Clans=Good:

Who says?
    The people who designed Omni/Clans/AO. This is not new. This is not recent. This predates the release of the game. It's been that way for a long, long time.

The only FC mistake in this is in having some faith in human nature and player willingness to pay attention and participate, rather than "If I Can Tab It I Can Shoot It".

Mmm there was another one...

Clear, eh?

Let's check the facts:
    Assuming that wasn't meant as roleplaying: Woohoo, you've been reading the Omni-Tek brochures instead of the backstory.

Gaute and Ragnar must be close to aneurisms every time they see this nonsense, and the "This Is Supposed To Be A Pure Science Fiction Game".

The players have tried, are trying and will no doubt continue to try to turn AO into something it was never intended to be...

...then they blast FC for supposedly doing the same.

Faskinatin'
    ...you live, you learn
    ...you die, you learn faster

Originally posted by Therion
    Faulty perception on your part. There have been fantastic elements, particularly in some of the back-story which you later admit to having not read completely, all along.
    If this stuff was so important to understanding the "conflict", perhaps it should have been available all along, instead of trying to milk another $20 from their players?

I think I missed the scientific explanation for summoning demons. I'll have to check that again. The "scientific explanation" behind what they do is almost always qualified.
    Really? And how much nano does the demon require? More than zero? Then I suppose there is a scientific explanation for that, huh?

Yes, it is qualified--but without nanobots it is not possible. Seems like a scientific explanation to me.

This is neither sudden nor new. It is becoming more visible in the mechanics, but that's as far as that goes.
    And where was it before?

Neutrals, and apparently an intent to make things more clear to those who neglected to notice that the AO "story" is a two-sided, Good vs Evil, Clans vs Omni conflict, with unfortunately a whole lot more going on than has so far been implemented via game mechanics.
    And we're supposed to cut FC slack for this? They never meant for anyone to stay neutral. And if they haven't implemented things in the game, with whom does the fault lie, exactly? The players, or FC?

Neuts who refuse to pick a side are just refusing to play the game. Omni people who insist that they are on the good side and _mean it_ are refusing to play the game. (RPing misguided or misinformed people is one thing; genuinely believing that "I'm Just Doing My Job" makes you right, for various obvious reasons, does not fly.) Etc. There were very clear distinctions which players messed up a bit; a mess FC neglected to address unfortunately.
    This skirts, but avoids what someone else said--basically, that the players came and "messed it up." However--if it weren't for the players, then it wouldn't be in the first place. Yes, FC made it; if they didn't think they would be paid for it, they never would have.

This idea seems to be leaning towards, "Poor FC--so misunderstood. See what havoc the players have wrought on your masterpiece." I don't buy that for a second.

Rook

Talking

GAUTE GODIGER RULEZ!

AMEN TO WHAT HE SAID!

All u trolls out there don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Omni= The Powerful Imperials
    Clanners= The Rebel Alliance
    Notum= THE FORCE

We are Omni. Resistance is Futile. Lower your shields and be prepared to be boarded. Race 204 ''Clanners'' will be assimilated to the collective cause.

*Omni Cyborgs with Nano Injectors come roaming the streets of Tir like Resident Evil Zombies*
    @-----}----,---'------------
    For Ragnar Tornquist, the Visionaer.

--==(( Natelie ))==--
    Martial Artist, RK1.
    Member of the Sentinals

--==(( Kaydra ))==--
    N00b, but HardCore Fixer, RK1.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast