Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Integrity Skill / Karma in AO !

Posted this somewhere else, but figured I'd post it again. I'd rather have an omni/neutral/clan statistic implemented. Sorta like karma, but not quite. All players could have a 'side' statistic. 0-100. 0-32 is omni, 33-65 is neut, 66-100 is clan. If you start out as omni, you start with 15 'side' points. For any clanner you'd kill, you'd lose points. Say you killed a level 50 clanner when you're level 40. You'd lose 3 pnts. Or if you killed a level 50 clanner when you're level 60, you'd lose only 1 point. If you kill omni guards, you'd gain 20 points. If you gained enough points to get over 32, then you'd automatically be switched to neutral and your token board cleared and taken away. As a neut, if you continued to kill omni guards, or omni players, your side points would continue to go up and if they went over 65, you'd automatically switch to clan and gain an empty clan merit board. Vice versa for clan members. Perhaps if we ever had worthwhile events to attend, your service for your side would also give or decrease your side points. Perhaps even put in a degrading system, where if you're omni, you gain 1 point a day. If you're clan, you lose 1 point a day. This forces you to do deeds that are aligned with your side, because why should you be considered omni if you're not furthering it's goals? This would require much more immersion and maturity then the current crop of GMs seem to have, as they'd have to be running events 24/7 to give people a chance to show their omniness (or clanness.) A side shouldn't be something to be taken granted. It should be something you're standing up for and fighting for.

Personal karma...

The idea of gaining/losing points is not bad, but like it is now, it should be twisted a little... Why? With sucha system, I'd hate going, say, on exam period for 2 weeks, not play, and then come back to notice my char has switched to neutral just because she gained 1 point per REAL day

Okay, so this may notbe real days, I know... Hmm, maybe make it gain/lose 1 point every time you log with a given char?

I'm not a developer myself (if I except my pitiful tries at VB 6.0 when I managed to produce a ridiculous little calculator... LOL) so I really don't know if all those ideas would be 'easy' or not to implement in the system as it is now, but all those side actions and such can be a real problem, especially in the "Evil Omni vs. Good Claners" thing (refer to RP threads and Storyline forum blah-blah, no need to re-start all of this here).

What would be really, REALLY terrific to me would be implementing a personal karma system by... let's say, at the char creation, the player's asked a few of his char's traits, maybe as a form to fill in? Just like filling name/nickname/profession/alignment, and then a few other things: for instance, I want to play a Crat, do I want to play a functionary that would easily accept bribes? Some bureaucrat leading secret research projects and not caring about morality in all of this? A crat simply doing his/her job because s/he needs one and has a family to feed?

Then your actions would have to be based on this template. You can be a good clanner convinced of his ideals, or a baddass who went clan just because it was allowing him to perform terrorist acts and such. You can be an Omni-med member and still heal clanners when you meet some because your first oath as a Doctor is to heal, regardless of sides. Etc etc. In this example, this Doctor would gain 'bad karma' if refusing to heal any person that needs it, while he'd gain 'good karma' if he had specified he heals Omni only and won't be a traitor by healing clanners. See my point?

Of course this is a dream system, for it'd be way too complex to implement... Actually I guess it's more true RP than something that could be implemented in a game.

But... Yume no housoko nado doko ni mo naihazu sa .
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Talking

bump

love it also
    Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

Well, I'd still rather have a side based system. Good and bad are all good, but they're too hard to define. Omni, neut, clan is an easy definition. Allow people to define good/bad, not the game.

The main reason why I'd like to see a side point implemented is that it would make people work for the benifits of their token board. Neutrals should be those who are too lazy to work for the good of the common people or the good of the corporation. If you want those benifits of that 1k token board, you should damn well have to work for it. (Going insane as you run missions over and over again doesn't count.) Side points would help to give some meaning as well towards being omni or being clan.

People can talk about rp all they want, but the bottom line is that if you choose omni, you're an omni employee. How can a person concieve of staying on as an omni employee if they're healing clanners etc? Two many people I feel are taking the sides the same way as belonging to a country. For a clanner, that is fairly true. But for omni, it isn't. It's a company. You work for them. If you're truly that sympathetic to the clan cause, how long do you really think you'd remain an employee? I see all these omni employees claiming to run nightclubs and such. Think about it for a minute. Do you really think it's omni employees running those? It's hired help that runs those. Neutrals you might say.

I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't have departments working. At character creation you'd have a choice of which omni department you'd work for. You'd automatically be in that department unless you 'transferred'. (Maybe have a limit on transfers allowed per character.) Each of these departments would have had an events team in charge of to coordinate with each other to further that department's actions on Rubi-Ka. All members of a department could have their own department channel. Same general idea for the clan side.

With GMs coordinating and mediating the storyline, with you having to work to stay omni or clan, with you belonging to something other then a name, they truly could have had a dynamic gaming enviornment. I realize however that Funcom is not a large company and the manpower required would probably bankrupt them. If they aren't already on that road. Oh well. I suppose it's easy to think of what could be.

It's nice to see my idea being accepted with open arms, thankyou w00t

Hey Zy, I like your ideas, and I have one of my own concerning those buffs...

I think external buffs should only work as long as you're teamed with the person who's buffed you. Then if you pay for a buff, you're paying for someone's time. Correspondingly, higher up and richer character would probably consider their time more expensive than lower ones. If you use external buffs in PvP, your rank won't go anywhere because you'd be teamed.

It's something that would help differentiate classes more and make this easy little game a little more challenging.
    Yehezkel

180+ Rockin' Adventurer
    Jester's Vengeance
    RK2

Soon to be in possession of majestic powers that no other profession will rival...

The problem is nothing in this game really requires any thought.

Solo mission. FInd mission. You wanna make this a challenge, but the mission is so far away you use your yalm missing all mobs along the way. Heck, you go make lunch as you easily pass overhead all the mobs below.

You get inside the mission. Figure out in about 2 seconds the ntire map as there are very few styles to choose from.

Once you know where you stand there, you check out the first mob's color : green to you, hmm you imagine then there are 3/4 green mobs, and 1/4 yellows in there, with possibly one or two light oranges. No problem

Kill everything. Get item/target boss/kill boss whatever, get out go home.

No thought.

Shouldnt missions take alot more skill? Think of James Bond movies, he has to do so much crazy stuff to get his missions done. USe special items, diffuse bombs, plant bombs, cut thru wires, splice wires, say things to people, not say things to people, etc.. etc...

This game needs more intrigue!

Right now there is exactly ZERO.

Exclamation This was a good thread and its not dead yet

Been thinking about this whole Karma plan.

Its some major coding and a ver big change in gameplay so I know its not really under consideration by FFC.

But...

As my time spent as a General in my guild its becoming obvious that we need some form of reward system for our members. Not money or yalms or anything material.

Medals or badges of honour something like a karma award so that you can distinguish between someone who really try in your guild. they may not level fast or be the most Uber, but you know they are trying to advance the guild as much as they can from their position.

Promotions are fine of course. But you really should only have a finite number of generals in your guild.
    Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

Originally posted by Zylina
    All players could have a 'side' statistic. 0-100. 0-32 is omni, 33-65 is neut, 66-100 is clan. If you start out as omni, you start with 15 'side' points. For any clanner you'd kill, you'd lose points... blablabla
    Haven't heard this before...

Sounds like a challenging idea to actually take part in activities YOUR FACTION was supposed to do.

Smart.

Originally posted by Emiko
    The problem is nothing in this game really requires any thought.

Solo mission. FInd mission. You wanna make this a challenge, but the mission is so far away you use your yalm missing all mobs along the way. Heck, you go make lunch as you easily pass overhead all the mobs below.

You get inside the mission. Figure out in about 2 seconds the ntire map as there are very few styles to choose from.

Once you know where you stand there, you check out the first mob's color : green to you, hmm you imagine then there are 3/4 green mobs, and 1/4 yellows in there, with possibly one or two light oranges. No problem

Kill everything. Get item/target boss/kill boss whatever, get out go home.

No thought.

Shouldnt missions take alot more skill? Think of James Bond movies, he has to do so much crazy stuff to get his missions done. USe special items, diffuse bombs, plant bombs, cut thru wires, splice wires, say things to people, not say things to people, etc.. etc...

This game needs more intrigue!

Right now there is exactly ZERO.
    Don't forget that James Bond 'does it' with alot of women. I'd like to do it too
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

Bad idea

Not to be the only one who disagrees, but this is a very bad idea.

1. Gaurds are not real players, if your good enough to do it, and bored, there's nothing wrong with fighting one for fun! Why should you be penalized for it?

2. This is a game, only in real life should you be held accountable for every single action like that.

3. The system could not be made fool-proof, you may hit a gaurd just to lead him to an enemy character near-by. A show of patriotism! How will the system differentiate?

4. If it's similar to the eBay system, what if my guild has a rival, so we label all of them as cheaters, liers, and untrustworthy?

5. Integrity affects something as important as xp lost? Whywould anyone do anything "bad"? There would be no "bad guys" in the game, boring.

6. What if my friend comes over and does "bad" things with my character? I have to suffer for it until I can raise my integrity again?

7. What about PVP, like in the arenas? Its for fun and both sides agree, or they shouldn't be in the arena. Its often clan v. clan or omni v. omni, What would the affect on integrity be?

Originally posted by Peisinoe

The main reason why I'd like to see a side point implemented is that it would make people work for the benifits of their token board. Neutrals should be those who are too lazy to work for the good of the common people or the good of the corporation. If you want those benifits of that 1k token board, you should damn well have to work for it. (Going insane as you run missions over and over again doesn't count.) Side points would help to give some meaning as well towards being omni or being clan.

Speaking as a level 140 Neutral I do missions that benefit Clan and/or Omni all the time and when I complete the mission I earn the xp points but not the token. So I have to actually work harder without the token board bonuses for less reward. Hardly seems lazy to me or not working for the good of the people or the corporation. Clan and Omni members get the benefits of the token board without having to do anything that Neutrals don't have to do.

I think good vs evil vs lazy, or people vs corporation vs undecided, makes things less interesting and less complicated than they should be. Integrity points, karma points, side points, affinity points, consequence points, etc. are good ideas and long overdue.

I hope someone in authority is reading this thread and making plans to implement some of these ideas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12