Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Angry At Funcom? A Message To You...

Talking

Flame Flame Flame! Put the DJ on fire!!!! yeah!
    "How do you prove that you exist...?
    Maybe we dont exist..."

"Love goes, Like night... Its a fading dream"

"15 candles
    Redeemers of this world
    Dwell in hypocrisy:
    "How were we supposed to know?"

Arrow T

You seem like a decent guy but really what are you defending here? Funcoms ability to pull the story line out from under the players feet with not a word? or possiblely the other theory that Funcom is just waiting until the expansion comes out to start the story again? Damn, we we promised a story with the game we bought a year ago.... They told us that it would start a few months after release (and it did), what they didnt tell us that it would end 3 months after it started and if we wanted to see it again we would need to go out and buy an expansion....

There is nothing to defend.... As others have said the little events that happen here or there (in a roleplaying sense or not) is not a story... I wholeheartely agree with Bion's points about this...He is exactly right...

(I wont get into personal attacks but if someone does that is their issues). I/We are pissed off and have a damn good reason to be so... And I dont know where you get this whole notion that I am an egomaniac... I am bloody proud of what we did with the story during the brief time it ran and if that makes me full of myself so be it...

Go ahead and support Funcom 100% and not critisize if you want but I fail to see how that helps.... I know if I ran a company and was able to put out a product that was what I did not advertize and enough people like you were willing to grin and bear it I would be content to not improve...

Oh and boo-hoo for Funcom because they didnt realize they didnt have the server power to run events... Thats not my problem thats theirs...They should go out and buy more powerful servers if they cant do what they promised...(the beta testers proved this before game even went live)... People like me expect a bit of competence in regards to both the story and, again recently the game and we are not getting it...But, keep supporting, perhaps when there are only 20 people left we will get a story (if the servers can handle it)...

Why do I defend Funcom? Three reasons.

1.) Of all the MMORPGs on the market now and in the near future, this one is far and away the coolest looking. Sure, there are arguements for SW:G being cooler, but I've already spoken my mind about that one.

2.) Of all the MMORPGs out there, this one has the highest level of roleplaying. I (obviously) love roleplaying.

3.) Of all the MMORPGs out there, this one has the most original of potential storylines.

And if you wish to regurgitate about how the storyline is dead, allow me to quote Cz:

{as far as the storyline is concerned} we do have plans, and there is movement, and leave for the future (close future, I hope) to show what's coming.
    I am patient. If it were to come to pass that the storyline DOES die out completely, and we are left with an EQ clone, then I will leave Rubi-Ka.

But that's not going to happen, because the storyline WILL be back, and I'm making the best of it until that time comes. You say that it doesn't help? Do you honestly think that whining about it DOES help? If so, you are sorely mistaken.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

Seriusly Tarryk.. You should have seen what has happend to RP on Rubi-Ka.. Garrisen / Yxxil / SA want me to list more? The RP community is pissed off at the lack of events / Create your own? Look at the Yxxil one for example.. FC shot it down / FC has no friggin idea what the hell they are doing.. And soon people are sick of it ive allready cancelled my account for one.
    "How do you prove that you exist...?
    Maybe we dont exist..."

"Love goes, Like night... Its a fading dream"

"15 candles
    Redeemers of this world
    Dwell in hypocrisy:
    "How were we supposed to know?"

Listen, sorry if that came off as a personal attack. It's just that you have to riddle me this:

What does DiamondCut Dave have to do with the Story? Nothing.

What does that Ythil or whatever thing have to do with the Story? Nothing.

All of that is Roleplaying that is done well or not so well to appease the Roleplayers. People want Story.

I'm not shooting down Roleplaying. Far from it. Point is though, that you can't defend the lack of Story for the first 4 months of the game and for the last 6 months. There is no defense for that. None has ever been given by FunCom and it would take a hell of an apology to make people feel better.

FunCom had said nothing about why the Story stopped or when it will start again. All that was given to the players is a single post intimating that 'it's on a break'. Well screw them. How about everybody decides their monthly payments go 'on a break'. They wouldn't like the other side of the two-way street that is supposed be services rendered and payment for services.

To your points:
    1.) Of all the MMORPGs on the market now and in the near future, this one is far and away the coolest looking. Sure, there are arguements for SW:G being cooler, but I've already spoken my mind about that one.
    Agreed. It looks cool. I even think it looks cooler than SW:G will. SW:G will have better graphics and most likely a better game. But, AO really has the 'cool' factor down.

What does this have to do with the Story.

2.) Of all the MMORPGs out there, this one has the highest level of roleplaying. I (obviously) love roleplaying.
    OK, probably agreed again. But what does this have to do with the Story?

3.) Of all the MMORPGs out there, this one has the most original of potential storylines.
    Hesitant agreement here. The whole Evil Empire versus Enlightened Rebel Freedom Fighters has been done before. But, the Shadowlands backstory is quite interesting.

Note your use of the word 'potential'. That and ten bucks will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Shame is that mankind returning to the Garden of Eden to fight the final Armageddon for the future of mankind sounds like a year 4 plot movement. We go from Ross and Radiman playing chess to being asked to pay for the end-game?

Isn't something supposed to happen in-between Chapter One and the Epilogue?

You can defend the graphics. You can defend the backstory. You can give kudos to the stalwart RP community.

Just don't pretend that the game design is an unholy mess of hastily slapped together nerfs shoveled onto a world without context. Don't pretend that there has ever been any more Story than Manteze War, Pumpkin Heads, Cyborgs doing something, Ross and Radiman speak, apartment complex gets blown up, and Dusters randomly PK people.

Don't forget this happened in the span of about 4 of the total 13 months this game has been out. Perhaps people should only pay every 4th month.

I'm not attacking you or your role amongst the RP'ers. I'm not attacking what you do. I'm attacking the notion that somehow this is sufficient to fill the gaping hole left by the Story's departure. I attack the defense of the indefensible.

The game would probably be a hell of a lot worse without what you people do. It would be a hell of a lot better if FunCom would do with Ragnar's story what they are ethically obligated to do: tell it.

...Well, I don't know how many more out there are like me, but...

Stepping off of the Star Wars: Galaxies train (I really don't have much interest in that game regardless.. never really been a huge SW buff), the only reason that I ever signed up for AO to begin with was because it was the best-looking crutch that I could use for online gaming until World of Warcraft comes out in 2-5 (...no telling, with Blizzard... they always strive for initial perfection. *cough*) years. ^_^

Since I don't like stepping on toes, I won't go into vast detail on the insanely huge amount of difference in the detail that the respective companies have put into the game world.... o.O

But yes, that's my evil dark secret. I play because I am an online game junkie!! EverBreast is utterly useless, Dark Age of Camelot (from what I heard, haven't actually played it) tapers off drastically... Asheron's Call is as polygonal as a set of legos, and Ultima Online is..... no. Muwahahahahahaha... but I digress.

FunCom promised us a 4-year storyline, and trust me, I believe that they will give us one.... but I just hope that they start that four year run AFTER they get more than ten or so event actors and finish coding the existing pay-to-play beta test, as opposed to, say, stopping it three years from now with the stump of a storyline that it has now.

I wish FunCom the best of luck in competition with the other online games, since it's about to get insanely compeditive in the next couple of years... but I was destined to leave from the start. ^_^

There is only one thing that would ever even make me consider staying: ....fixing pet pathing. Guwah. You've been a thorn in my side for far too long, Avatar... ... *blink* Errahh, wrong game.

</pointlessrantingmode>

- Jacinto Garasha

Of all the MMORPGs out there, this one has the most original of potential storylines.

Tarryk I do respect your views, but in the same token I hope you understand ours to a message from your post I did not get.

The people that started the game in june and july had to endure a lot of pain and dispite massive problems we stuck with it. We have to live with lag, crashing, some professions where very poor at the start. The whole thing was a mess.

By October the whole thing really came into its own, most of the major problems where solved and a story line started. It was great fun, we had lots to do the boards here become a focal point for chats about the latest news. Lots of different groups where roleplaying.

People used to meet up in clubc just to talk about the news of the day. People cared if they where clan or omni, there was a real meaning ful difference.

In december the story stopped and slowly the boards, become quiet, the number of events dropped to a few a month. A lot of people stopped roleplaying and just went back to the level mill of missions.

People stopped turning up to the clubs just to chat, the place changed, the community was dissapear fast. soon fan sites closed, old guilds where lost.

You might not have seen this, maybe you where not around during this time, but we saw so much potential AO just fushed down the drain.

You say the story is on hold, but the truth is we just dont know, but the real problem is FC could have kept the story alive and going with very little effort.

If they did not have the staff, they could have turned to the players for help and have them write the reports.

I dont think anyone would have minded them trying something and failing but to do nothing is worst.

Your right AO is a great game, but its potential is only that, you have great places to role play, you have clothes, and items which are a roleplayers dream.

But this potential is lost because FC do nothing with it. Even EQ god bless its socks, they have more events then we do, even AC had a story with rivers turning to blood.

AO's main feature was a story, which they failed out, while EQ and AC UO never focused much on their storyline but at least they where able to make one.

So many of us are dissapointed that the potential of AO has been wasted, due to the lack of any information from Funcom this turn to angry voices.

I am sorry but FC have nobody else to blame apart from themselves, you cant justify a company that cant even be bothered to explain the situation to its paying customers. Its the worst kind of customer support I have seen ( erm maybe microsoft just ahead)

I am glad you still enjoy the game Tarryk but for me I need more than the level mill. If the story comes back I will return to the fold and even start up my baboons nights and news reports.

Also one other point SWG, I am not a big star wars fan but if you can see pass the star wars theme and read the details about the game. There is some really good stuff their if it comes off.

Touche?

I digress all remarks. Though there are still many arguements from others that I don't agree with, it's been doing nothing more than mentally taxing me when I should be focusing on other things.

Luckily for me, Mechanita posted This Message in another thread and I think it helped clear a lot of things up. It does contradict some of my earlier views, but it's correct.

Hence the digress.

I made me rhyme.

Well, almost.

Okay, so it's not poetry. Stop reading this.

Read this instead.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

Just a little fyi for all the SWG fanboys/girls. I got accepted into first phase beta. (this game WILL not be out before winter I can promise you that, sidenote: plenty of time for AO to get back on its feet) I can say that so far Im not Impressed at all. The Zoning system sucks. and I do mean SUCKS. I really dont find the game play that dynamic. Granted it is the first stage of beta (out of 4 or maybe 5) and a lot of things havent been implemented yet. but it kind of reminds me of a SW character Mod for AO. and they are batting around the idea of a lvl treadmill which I think will be a very bad idea. I believe that the opening day forums for SWG will be a very busy place.

Re: Angry At Funcom? A Message To You...

Originally posted by Tarryk
    It's the imagination and pride of the players in the world of Anarchy Online that keeps the game going, not some self-deluded notion to cry false advertising because you don't get to help Radiman or Ross appearances crash the zones.
    I think not many people complain about not being able to be personal assistant to either of them. It is more that we are not invoved at all in any story (exept being used as target for frustrated GM on killing spree), since there is no ingame story.

Sure, Funcom has problems. They've had to completely rethink their strategy behind the game's developement when they realized that the servers cannot possibly handle the amount of idiots who clump around Ross when he makes his oh-so-longed-for appearances. They've also had to rethink the game's marketing value with the upcoming release of Star Newbs: Galaxies.

I don't blame them for any of this. They took the MMORPG market by storm, and got greeted with the world-wide known marketing traits called Competition and Finance. To handle these things, they've had to create new mechanisms in the corporate machine, and that's why the storyline suffers..
    As for taking market with storm, I guess that was a lot easier when they where the only SF MMOLRP out. Now when they get competition it will get a lot tougher. It is true that SWG will draw more then its shares of newbies, since it is SW after all and SW has a big following. That in it self is not a bad thing since a lot of us have lost that glorious wonder of the MMOLRP that AO gave us (mostly from FC´s treatment of customers). It might be nice with a lot of people without our dissillusioned view.

Meanwhile, the world of Rubi-Ka is a beautiful one. It's rich, it's full, it's complete (with additions both possible and soon-to-be), and it's full of thousands of people all willing to be a part of it and many striving to make it more than it is.
    Or a lot of people biding there time for something better.
    Anyway, one should give due where due is. FC have created a beautiful world, and I would never ever have stayed as long if it where not for the hope that it would one day be a lot better place. But illusions dies and one realise that it probably never is going to happen.

Funcom knows this, Funcom sees this, and Funcom reacts to this by not giving attention to the naysayers, but rather focusing all their efforts on upgrading, patching, and preparing the world of Rubi-Ka for it's true trials during the competition battles that are soon to be here.
    Yes, disregarding customers is a good way of gettingb them to move to another supplier. i hope they have their collectiv CV ready when the battle begins, and we better be ready for a few more board whipes.

If you care about Anarchy Online and Rubi-Ka, and if you agree that it has the potential to be the greatest MMORPG on the market, then stop spending your time shooting it down. Support it. Help them acquire more players (you can still get free game time by doing so, you realize, I've utilized this several times), support the player events that take place, and enjoy the world as it is. Ask questions, offer opinions on subjects.

Don't flame them and try to convince others that the game isn't worth it. Naysayers, your angst at FC because the game has evolved into things that go beyond what was printed on the back of the box is not well displayed by your public flames. It only creates more problems by convincing people of something that is simply not true.
    Oh well, it´s sometimes nice with that frech naive outlook, untill FC piss you of so much that you understands that since it is FC that has the game it is doomed.

AO is not dying. The Storyline is not dead. Yes it is currently "not running". I've already explained the reason for this. It is only temporary, and it WILL be back.
    Well, technicaly FC is running from predators far behind it. It knows that they are starting to catch up and it is running out of breath, and desperatly hope that a quick tactical move will give it the breath of air it need to find a new place to eat. Maybe they will find another game that will give them the cash they need when the predator slaghter AO and take over the hunting ground of SF MMOLRP.
    If Shadowland fails I think FC goes down. And after the nice treatment of customers so far, I don´t care.

Funcom cares about preserving the world so that others may not become like the naysayers, bitter and scorned because you're convinced they owe you more than a great game world. They have had to focus their attention in the preparation for what is to come.

They are about to face the toughest thing any company could possibly face: The fight for the number one spot in an entire genre of the online gaming industry.

Personally, I believe the things AO could offer outweigh the things competitors like Star Wars: Galaxies could offer a thousandfold. This is an original universe, not some worn-out drum beat that's been danced to a thousand times already. This is a new creation by new minds.

That being said, I support Funcom and I support Anarchy Online, and I'm behind Funcom 100% during this period in the hopes that this will indeed become and stay the #1 gaming world on the market. I know there are thousands more of us out there, but very few of us ever come to these forums because of the negativity so often vomitted around here.
    Yeah, I remeber when I to was agains those that said anything against this beautiful game, then I realized what a lousy custom relation FC had and that the story never would be realized.

Again, it's the players that make the game. It's those of us who support the staff at FC by contributing what we can to make the world of Rubi-Ka a more enjoyable place to be, we have the ultimate power over what happens to this game.

SW:G isn't a cool concept. It's a 1970's storyline that's been drilled into my head since I was a child, and now it's rearing it's overplayed and ugly head once more in an effort to defeat true originality and promise. It won't succeed.

Dunno about you, but I'm sticking around. And the more of us that do, the better the (already good) chances are that we will see this storyline all the way through to it's conclusion, and still be around for the sequel.
    If SWG is not a cool concept why stay? FC have already given the all clear to make it a fantacy (EG) SW wannabe, with black evil Omni vs white good clans. As for peole, yeah it is those friends you have made in the game that make it hard to leave, not hte game itself with iss repetive missions and hunting.

Don´t worry, in time you will come to see it trollstyle. Just give it some time.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12