Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4 sec server lag every 2 minutes

hehe like i say i am not argue with you . your correct in many ways.

But dont tell me he thought about that post.

I cant belive that. i have to much faith in the human mind.
    I am guessing you work in the same industry as me

hehe

Solo

Assumtions are not the same as educated guess's , you make educated guess's,, he assumes
    Last edited by Theotus; Aug 14th, 2002 at 18:34:41.

OH... my.... god!

Let me bow down and smash the feet of a guy who could not read between the lines of my post. Dear god I might get struck down with wrath of the network admin. Jesus man!

Point #1
    I said this because in the man's original post the ARK's kept on saying it might be his ISP that is causing the lag. For a quick test not the accurate thorough one that takes maybe 10minutes to correctly test (ie tracert or ping -t) open a browser and test your ISP's connection to the internet. If your web pages are caching and popping up in your browser within expected time restraints why not think there is a problem on FunCom's end.

There is a concept on the Internet known as routing, just because you can fire up a web browser and get to google or yahoo does not mean you can route to Funcoms servers.

Isp's "peer" with each other in order to create a Internet back bone, some isp's peer with more than 1 other isp. So, depending exactly where you are going to on the Internet, your route to that server (and therefore the networks you pass through) will be different. It’s even common for you to take different routes to the same server from one min to the next.

Umm didnt I point out that the lag probably could be caused by a downed relay or router station somewhere between your ISP and FunCom's servers. Gee I think I did. As far as other tests how about

www.dslreports.com
    www."yourisppage".com
    ping -t "URL"

especially 'ping -t' to one of FUnCom's servers. Keep it running while playing and then when you lag out alt+tab over to ur looping ping and see if there is lag? Then try tracert to that same server and detect where the dead path is.

Just because I do not go down and write a damned essay on how to thoroughly test where the lag lies doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about.
    Wizard's First Rule, people are stupid.
    Wizard's Eigth Rule- Deserve Victory. -Terry Goodkind / Author

My 100th post!

I Am A: Chaotic Good Elf Ranger
    Find outWhat D&D Character Are You?

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

I think a valid test is when you ask everyone in your guild (where people are from all over the world) "hey, did you just have a moment of 15 seconds of server lockup-lag?" and everyone says "yes". Then you know it's centered at FunCom's servers, not in my ISP.

There is no doubt the server lock ups every 10 minutes is on FunCom's end.

Where my doubt is, is if FunCom knows about it at all.

Originally posted by Karine "Shyenia" Ganes
    OH... my.... god!

Let me bow down and smash the feet of a guy who could not read between the lines of my post. Dear god I might get struck down with wrath of the network admin. Jesus man!

Point #1
    I said this because in the man's original post the ARK's kept on saying it might be his ISP that is causing the lag. For a quick test not the accurate thorough one that takes maybe 10minutes to correctly test (ie tracert or ping -t) open a browser and test your ISP's connection to the internet. If your web pages are caching and popping up in your browser within expected time restraints why not think there is a problem on FunCom's end.

There is a concept on the Internet known as routing, just because you can fire up a web browser and get to google or yahoo does not mean you can route to Funcoms servers.

Isp's "peer" with each other in order to create a Internet back bone, some isp's peer with more than 1 other isp. So, depending exactly where you are going to on the Internet, your route to that server (and therefore the networks you pass through) will be different. It’s even common for you to take different routes to the same server from one min to the next.

Umm didnt I point out that the lag probably could be caused by a downed relay or router station somewhere between your ISP and FunCom's servers. Gee I think I did. As far as other tests how about

www.dslreports.com
    www."yourisppage".com
    ping -t "URL"

especially 'ping -t' to one of FUnCom's servers. Keep it running while playing and then when you lag out alt+tab over to ur looping ping and see if there is lag? Then try tracert to that same server and detect where the dead path is.

Just because I do not go down and write a damned essay on how to thoroughly test where the lag lies doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about.
    Ahh, now there you go ...

A post you have clearly thought about. (no pun intended)

I get rather anoyed at all of the posts that slag funcom with no thought. You have to admit your post did look like (well to me at least) someone who was "jumping on the band wagon" and had not thought about what he had said.

Agreed i did'nt read between the lines, but that's because this forum if full of people who speak first and think later (me inculded at times).

This post is well thought out and explains what you mean. I am very much of the school of if you dont have anything quality to say don't say anything. I am not talking about right and wrong, just the ability to show someone has thought about what they are saying.

and oh.. " Just because I do not go down and write a damned essay on how to thoroughly test where the lag lies doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about. "

how am i supposed to know that ??? ;p

look if i offended you.. sorry. I cant really say anymore than that. but as i say harsh comments that appear to have no thought get to me.

So there you go. :-) I seem to have got a reaction from you ... and you know what ? its the right one.

Solo --
    Last edited by Theotus; Aug 14th, 2002 at 22:11:30.

Originally posted by Beaker
    I think a valid test is when you ask everyone in your guild (where people are from all over the world) "hey, did you just have a moment of 15 seconds of server lockup-lag?" and everyone says "yes". Then you know it's centered at FunCom's servers, not in my ISP.

There is no doubt the server lock ups every 10 minutes is on FunCom's end.

Where my doubt is, is if FunCom knows about it at all.
    I agree that is a vaild test.

I can also be blamed for assuming that people already know what I am talking about and thus just post short comments on things.

Ack I am guilty lol.

One thing I would liket to start here as well is that I believe that 56k users are subject to a constant 3 second delay between client/server. I need to get back to my cable modem and try out the lag then. If it's true that 56k users are getting shafted then I can post a very very long post on what is going on.

My 100th post!

S.H.Y.E.N.I.A.: Synthetic Hydraulic Youth Engineered for Nocturnal Infiltration and Assassination
    What Cyborg are you?

Well for what its is worth, here is my experiance of what is happening. (for me)

I run a 512k DSL connection, for the most part my anarchy experiance is a good one. However i think has a lot to do with how i play the game.

I spend most of my time out of citys and not in missions i am really in to out door exploring (on foot) and hunting.

However i have found Missions more laggy than i would have expected and whenever i am in a city its pretty bad (in fact i stay out of tir and stick to athen unless looking for a mission team).

When i have experianced bad lag i have checked my traces and pings (i have only done this quickly so its not very conclusive) , Basically i get good times right up and till i hit funcoms front door.

Then it all goes the way of the pear :-( , just a thought (and this is pure speculation, I wonder how maxed out the processors on the clusters are, rubi-ka must handle a hell of a lot of traffic.

I never experiance bad preformace that has any pattern to it other than going in to a city, but with citys the spec of my machine prolly does not help. (only a 1 gig p3 with a geforce2)

Solo--

I saw this post in another thread...
    The same here, even chat is affected (about 5sec delay till a shout is displayed in Tir at a ping of 150-170).
    Reorganizeing items into/out of backpacks/inventory, zoneing into buildings, player and NPC spawning, ... takes about 15sec.
    Not really playable at the moment.
    Assuming the servers are working speedily, a 150 ping should NOT result in a 5 second chat lag. A 4000+ ping might do it, but not 150.

This isn't a network issue.

What this scenario says to me is that the server took ~4850 milliseconds to process a /shout request - in other words, the servers are overloaded as hell.

Vendors of these games will tell you that patch XXX addressed lag, when that is in fact impossible - unless they patched their routers. What a speed patch can (and usually does) do is optimize server-side processing and POSSIBLY tweak the netcode.

I would be 0% percent surprised if Funcom is claiming ISP problems when in actuality they are cursed with insufficient capacity.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

But if that's the case, why aren't we all having these problems?

I can't tell you the last time I had a problem with ghost damage, in missions or outside. I've never experienced most of the problems I'm seeing described in this thread.

I'm not saying they don't exist: clearly they do, or you'd all be playing instead of posting. But if we were experiencing server overload, wouldn't everyone WITHOUT EXCEPTION be experiencing the same problem?

I play on RK2, and I have a cable modem.

Originally posted by mark5232

I'm not saying they don't exist: clearly they do, or you'd all be playing instead of posting. But if we were experiencing server overload, wouldn't everyone WITHOUT EXCEPTION be experiencing the same problem?

I play on RK2, and I have a cable modem.
    Not necessarily. Unless Funcom has decided to revive the Cray market, they've probably got one server for each outdoor zone, and a couple for mission tech. I'm certain I've been fine in Old Athen when Tir crashed, for example.

But I have to agree with you in principle. Barring some bizarre situation where your threads consistently get higher priority than mine, everyone in a zone would experience server load effects.

It's probably multiple problems. Server load, funcom's network, local ISP's and client load. TBH, I'm glad I'm not the guy that has to "fix" it.

BTW, I play on RK2, fast DSL, Athlon 1.2 and Geforce4. I still get phantom damage, warping etc. Really odd that you don't.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

Its a lot harder to notice if you are not casting all the time.

Its all nice to learn about all these different technical issues and methods for checking who is at fault not being even remotely technically minded about any of this stuff...
    But.. I've been playing a long time and watched family members b4 me play right from the outset of AO.
    This lag issue was a problem at the out set and then seemed to vanish for some time. It IS back, regardless of the isp, route taken to servers or graphical settings.
    Weve always had AO set to maximum graphic capabilites and over the past week have dropped it to minimum to see if the previous patches have affected our performance.
    We are on an always on cable which so far has had a 99.9% connection rate over the last 12 months. It is very rare it suffers from problems even in high usage hours and we do not seem to suffer these temporary lag problems with a multitude of other online games.
    In about a year we have suffered no more than 10 instances of ld or disconnection from funcoms server until recently.
    This past week I have been getting bad lag constantly from anywhere between 20 seconds and 2 minute intervals.
    I have been suffering LD about 5-15 times a day.
    Ive regularly checked with speed tests such as those at www.dslreports.com and not once have i found any drops in performance from any test site.

The most conclusive proof to me that this is a Funcom issue is when i find myself or my pets nearly dead from ghost damage and hear multiple calls from my team crying WTF was that and Holy Cr** IM dead how'd that happen.
    As far as i can tell ive been playing with people from a multitude of countries/areas and on a multitude of isp's.

How there can be a debate over whether this is an ISP issue or a problem with Funcom (or funcoms ISP) I dont know.
    The problem is far too widespread throughout the game not to be related to funcom.
    And to be honest didnt most of these 'new' lag problems start around the same time they started tampering with the game to 'improve' lag in the worst affected areas?

I dont mind being flamed or proved wrong but there cant be many other factors involved for it to affect so many different players (unless you all happen to be on the same isp as me...)

If it was our isp causing all these problems and they didnt fix it, we would go elsewhere... That's a hint Funcom..

Am I crazy?

I really do not know if it is my end or not. Being as no one has reported problems similar to mine yet and so I am asking those who frequent this thread to try a little experiment for me.

1. I seem to constantly experience a 3 second delay between my client and the FunCom servers. Such as getting the notice that my treatment skill has refreshed, yet when I click my hotkey to administer a Medical Kit I get a message saying I must wait for 2-3 seconds more.

A. Could anyone try this out with a Med-Kit and tell me if its just my end?

2. When in a battle my special attack such as fling shot will cycle through and I will get a message stating that its ready for use. Yet when I hotkey my fling shot I get the, "Please wait for special attack to finish."

B. Could anyone try pressing their special attacks shortly after the refresh and see if they get the same message?

On a different note the server lag issue came to a head yesterday when the whole RK-1 server farm crashed for 5-10 minutes thus prompting a server wide message that there were server instabilities. Maybe Cosmik or Cz would please post what server issues the IT team is currently aware of. I am not looking for a spot to place blame but a response as to what FunCom knows definitely is the problem down there.

My 100th post!

What Cyborg are you?

im a caster and i am not experiencing what you have described here Beaker.

Maybe once in a mission there is a lag pocket but thats it.

Every 2 minutes is a severe exageration.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123