Thread: The Search

The Search

The Search

She lifted up her paw to scratch an itch on her nose. It took a nanosecond to register that it was a hand and not a paw. It took another to notice her nose was not even itchy. With her raised hand she rubbed her dry lips instead, to hide her smiling at her own forgetfulness. That leet morph died five minutes ago, silly girl. She thought about reexecuting the program to better tuck herself away from the crowds on Borealis’ main street, but she decided to remain in her own skin and shook out the folds of her dark cloak to wrap around her more gently as she sat down. A cloud broke apart overhead and a tiny bit of sunlight came out to warm her face for a moment. Then a shadow stepped in, and a small backpack was flung at her feet.

“You neutrals think you can just bask in the sunlight all day, Ms Aislers?” It wasn’t contempt in her voice, not really, but the fixer’s voice was hardly what anyone would call friendly.

She looked up at Paxcorpus and grinned, “I’d explain it again, but you just wouldn’t understand, dear.”

Pax snapped immediately, “You know who the package is for. And dammit, don’t call me dear!” and she hastily encoded her body into the Grid with a growl. Such was a typical conversation with that particular Omni-Tek fixer.

She toed the small bag with her boot as if to nudge the flap open. Sealed shut, of course. How could I expect otherwise from Pax? Hmm…. I wonder what she’s dealing in this time…

She briefly considered opening the backpack, but then she remembered the last time she had let curiosity take over. It had been a while ago. She had agreed to hold a package for another fixer who went by the callsign Lastsecond2, and, while standing around bored waiting for his contact to arrive, she had glanced inside the bag and then nearly dropped it in shock. There had been at least a dozen or more skimpy white thongs peeking back out at her. Immediately she had snapped the bag shut and sent a link out to Last.

[To Lastsecond2]: um… why are you smuggling ladies underwear?! shocked
    [Lastsecond2]: wha? Oh you opened the bag… disapproval
    [Lastsecond2]: those are athletic supporters that can be crafted into some very nice armor later, Jaja. exasperated
    [To Lastsecond2]: uh… okie… whatever you say. disbelief

The unsavory image of a horde of atrox in those white thongs made her shudder. Who knew where the shipment was going. She really didn’t want to know.

She had stopped glancing in delivery packages after that, however, which is probably why Pax would even use her in this situation. But not trust, never that.

Before she could continue with that line of thought, this particular package's recipient stepped around the corner. It was a young neutral trader she was familiar with. “Thanks, Miki, I appreciate it. Hope Pax wasn’t too much her terrible self.”

“Nothing I can’t handle. I’m used to dealing with Omni-Tek employees, actually,” she replied. The trader smiled again and headed towards the bank indoors. And what the adventurer had said was true, Miki “Jajangmyun” Aislers had spent more than enough time around Omni-Tek Corp and its employees to understand them well enough.

It wasn’t really something she talked about much. She wasn’t sure if it was paranoia or just her usual reticent nature, but she hardly ever mentioned her parents or the fact that they were once Omni-Tek employees themselves. Once, in an unguarded moment, she had chatted about this history to a friend. A friend? Well, to a certain OT agent she knew as Crackshot. Even as the story left her mouth she knew there was a risk involved, but she accepted them. As for the agent, Crackshot had disappeared again soon after that day, but that was hardly unusual. But as much as she loved her parents, they were actually not at the top of her concerns these days. She knew their exact location at every moment, and what they had for breakfast and what they would have for dinner. If nothing else, a career with OT does promote that sense of security that comes from living an orderly life.

No, at the top of her concerns was the growing number of her friends listed as MIA, missing in action. She accepted that several of her friends would often accept dangerous missions to the remotest corners of the planet and lose contact for weeks at a time. Working as freelancers was risky business, but they all accepted this as a part of their way of life. And then when those kooky Jobean scientists had opened the portals to the Shadowlands, several of her contacts had been lost to the war on the Brink. Fallen, drowned, or devoured by a mountain of animate rocks. The war had taken its toll on her friends, neutral, Omni, and clan alike.

Her communications device blinked and she tapped it to take the call. “Hey, Jaja!” It was Rawenna, the leader of the clan organization Serenity, “How are you guys liking your new city?” A few weeks back Rawenna had helped broker a real estate contract that allowed Shattered Dreams break their existing city contract in Stret East Bank to move to a spot in Newland. The move hadn’t been easy, but with the help of a friendly master architect, Guojia of New Movement, the city was reestablished with the finests of qualities they could afford and then some.

The reasons for the move were various, but the ones noone voiced aloud were the memories.

<to be continued…>

((not a very exciting start, but I guess I gotta start somewhere... ))

[edited some bits for clarity.]
    Last edited by Jajangmyun; Apr 13th, 2005 at 08:47:50.
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

(now in order of play/activity! along with some other lowbie alts.)

(( thong smuggling... hmm... yes, i wonder... more please ))
    When dogma enters the brain, intellectual activity ceases.

Cultura bizarra para brutos mecánicos.

((Warning: old old story. I almost forgot about this... but I found a fragment of this story left in a Word document dated Jan 29, 2005. The setting for this fragment is early AI release, btw... before the aliens were nerfed. ))

Memories…

The air was being whipped into tiny whirls and the waves of water from the nearby river sloshed violently onto the pavement of their city in Stret East Bank. The ship which was the cause of all this commotion hovered briefly in the air not from from Miki and her friends; a horde of aliens seem to materialize before their eyes. There hadn’t been much warning at all in those days. The Early Warning System was a piece of crap, hastily assembled and shipped out to the cities on a mass-market assembly line. It would be months before they could order some hand-crafted quality cloaks and EWS devices. Back then they made do with what they had. Which wasn’t a lot. Which only gave them a minute or two to scrabble and grid out to the city from all the corners of Rubi-Ka and the Shadowlands.

“How many do you see?” the shout over the org channel came from Simehiri, Shattered Dreams’ meta-physical advisor. He was stuck in Penumbra at the time, trying hastily to make it back to the city in time. Falikos responded grimly, “A lot… and this looks like it’s just the first wave…” Her voice dropped down to a hush then, and Miki had to strain to hear her voice, “It’s going to a bad day.”

And the aliens started to rush forward. It was a mad scramble to identify the Hacker alien and kill it before its deadly nukes wiped out the whole defending party in a matter of seconds. It was a mess. Half the defenders found themselves rezzing inside Borealis within the first five minutes, Miki included. She grabbed her stuff from the reclaim terminal and stuffed it into her backpack and turned back towards the Grid terminal. A friendly and usually hilarious Omni fixer named Blutfrau tossed her an HoT with a quick nod. Miki nodded back with half a smile and sent herself into the Grid and back towards the battle. The fight took the better part of an hour. By the time the general landed, the defenders on the ground were pushed way past the point of exhaustion. None of them could even identify the level of the general who landed. Miki rubbed her eyes and waited for another quick trip back to reclaim.

“Guys! I’ve called for some help, they should be there soon.” It was Zanicyper, another advisor who had many contacts with other organizations and people. And soon enough a giant blueberry dropped out of the sky to land in front of the alien general. It was Dargante of Project EDEN and some of his orgmates, Labbfists and Hovin. Taking down the general took as long as all the prior invading waves, but eventually the general was defeated and the City Controller repaired again.

Memories…

The alien raids had continued day after day, out of the blue, with little warning. After the battles, the SDers would gather around the sidewalk café to recover and stretch out their sore limbs. And it was during one such gathering that Falikos spoke to them last.

“Something needs to be done,” Falikos stated quietly, but firmly. Miki and her orgmates sat up and took notice at their president’s serious tone. “This can’t go on like this. There’s something driving these aliens to attack us over and over. All these battles are proving nothing if they have an unending line of ships waiting in orbit around the planet. If it’s something to do with the notum production, fine, but we need better answers than what we’re getting from the Jobean scientists now.”

“We could hunt down their headquarters and blast it to bits!” Talan practically shouted at the sky as he waved his assault rifle around. The usually friendly soldier was more than a little pissed at being sent back to reclaim, even once was too much for him.

Keldros shook his head at the notion, “Before we blast them to bits, can’t we try to figure out what their real objective is? Maybe establish some sort of diplomatic lines of communication between the aliens and everyone on Rubi-Ka…” The nanotech’s voice trailed off, even as the words left his mouth they could all sense his lack of faith in that idea.

“No,” Falikos spoke again, “It’s not about blasting them to bits, as much as I’d like to fry them myself.” Her eyes blazed and her fingers twitched reflexively. “And I’m not sure we could ever get them to talk to us. But someone needs to find out where they are really coming from and what their true objective is. I’ve spoken to some of my contacts in Jobe. Those quacks may not do a whole lot for Rubi-Ka but I was hoping they would have some clue about these aliens…” The residual nanobots from her last nuke plused around her and made her eyes glow bright with the urgency in her voice. “I… I need to know what they are after.”

((to be continued, hopefully soon, and also hopefully brought more up-to-date!))
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

(now in order of play/activity! along with some other lowbie alts.)