Thread: How does this RP work?

How does this RP work?

Been playing DND for somewhat around 12 years now, so you can say I like the genre. Was just wondering, how does RP in AO work? I may make an alt-RP toon and try it out

<Insert witty quote here>

Blondenurse :: 220/30/67 :: doc
    Decepticon :: 220/30/70 :: adv
    Icingdeath :: 200/16/36 :: adv
    Sykebil :: 148/xx/xx :: doc
    -------------------------------------
    And many other alts

Don't know that this is the right forum for it, but I'll try my best anyway.

Roleplay in AO is pretty much all free-form with the occasional ARK-event. There are a number of roleplaying oriented organizations on both servers, albeith more on Atlantean. Each faction has roleplay organizations. The Clans also currently have Council of Truth meetings in which quite a lot of roleplayers and roleplaying orgs meet together. A similar idea for Omni-Tek is in the works.

So your roleplay starts with your character's background story as the basis for who you are, be it Clan, Neutral, or Omni. After that, you don't have to join an RP org, but it's going to be mighty lonely trying to RP without one. So I'd suggest finding one that would work with your characters attitude (i.e. you wanna play a militant clanner, go for Whisper's Edge or a similar organization. For a friendlier Clanner, Valor Eternal. For a shadier one, The Mockers. Wanna be an Omni, check out the ones that would work for your personality).

A lot of roleplay is done through stories on the forums or through "pick up" rp with other rpers in your organization or other organizations.

So another thing that I would suggest is to find out what you can about roleplay organizations on these forums and through their own websites. Talk to members of those organizations and find out if you'd like to work with them.

I don't know much about Rimorean RPers, but I can recommend talking to the following people on Atlantean.

Clan: Vixentrox, Regidoc, Rikki, Sharle, Foxferal, Mivat.
    Neutral: Ramiyana (I don't know that many neutrals)
    Omni: Daewen :-), Dabblez, Demenzia, Ukblizzard, Saxon1, Demongun

I hope this was helpful.

This is a very broad question with no simple answer. Just like your D&D game will differ in style from some other groups D&D, Shadowrun or Call of Chuthlu game, so will different set of players approach roleplaying in AO.

By and large I've noticed these five major strands of roleplaying, though its not an either or, you can freely mix and match.

* Improvised in-character interaction (just chat in character with other roleplayers about politics, gossips or whaterver) often centred around bars or roleplaying org hang out spots. Sometimes you might even improvise a story.

* Player driven stories with pre-planned, in-game events. Players running the events will come up with a story, roll up alts to play NPC roles and arrange set in game sessions to play it out.

* Official FC roleplaying events and roleplaying with the ARK characters.

* Roleplaying as context for mass PvP (not a popular as it used to be).

* Roleplaying which is entirely forum based.

The main difference I find with a p&p games is that online roleplaying occurs in a very unstructured environment. I p&p game there is a clear understanding of who the players are, who the GM is, when the session starts and when the session ends. This does it make it very hard on player trying to organise some roleplaying events, but with experience you figure out ways around it.

Anyway, maybe the following links will help.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=224823

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=273227
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!