Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OOC: Omni-Tek Monthly Department Meetings (Concept)

Metaljedd: just one rep from each org for now. Too many cooks in the kitchen and we'll be too full to share the pie with everyone =)

Cheers

Social
    Former Director
    ARK-Events Team
    Advisor of Rubi-ka

Please send your feedback to events-feedback@ark.anarchy-online.com

The Starters Guide to the storyline

Thank you Anarchy-Online players for making my time as an ARK-Events Team member, a memory I will cherish.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayde
    2100 GMT = 4:00 PM ET, yes?
    I believe that would be 5:00 EST, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Socialfly
    Metaljedd: just one rep from each org for now. Too many cooks in the kitchen and we'll be too full to share the pie with everyone =)
    Oh, sorry, if I can't make it Arimathea or Poutiney will make it in my place.
    Hunter "Metaljedd" Shelling, Martial Artist - Squad Commander of Obsoleet (@.@)/'
    Katia "Headexplody" Niss, Fixer - General of Obsoleet (@.@)/' Equip
    Pedro "Xdash" Niss, Bureaucrat - Unit Member of Obsoleet" (@.@)/'
    "Pytha" Shade - Squad Commander of Obsoleet (@.@)/'
    Explorer 73% Killer 46% Achiever 40% Socializer 40%

2100 GMT = 4:00 PM ET, yes?
    I always use this site to be sure about GMT

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Hope that helps =)

Cheers

Social
    Former Director
    ARK-Events Team
    Advisor of Rubi-ka

Thank you Anarchy-Online players for making my time as an ARK-Events Team member, a memory I will cherish.

Midnight Reveries hasn't really been involved in any kind of Role Play, but I think something like this extends a lot of new opportunities to the Role Play community for Omni-Tek that we've needed for a long time. It's felt like there has almost been a clan-favor when it came to ARK-Events and Funcom love in general.

They started favoring Omni in the loot department and now you're satisfying a lot of Role Play needs. I say, good job Funcom
    Olivia "Haminie" Nguyen - Current Setup - 220 Doctor
    "Intrauterine" Device - Current Setup - 220 Shade

Haminie - Slightly less than twice as uber as Chanelle

To [Destromane]: I'm not a horrible player ;p
    [Destromane]: just a horrible person

btw I see that Tax has already signed up to go, I wouldn't mind going as well if you could let me tag along as well...

-Haminie
    Olivia "Haminie" Nguyen - Current Setup - 220 Doctor
    "Intrauterine" Device - Current Setup - 220 Shade

Haminie - Slightly less than twice as uber as Chanelle

To [Destromane]: I'm not a horrible player ;p
    [Destromane]: just a horrible person

( Nice to see Omnis will finally be attending some meetings. So some might even earn their self proclaimed titles.

But now that OT side is having their RP structure, can be something done about some of out-of-ordinary organization names? I'm mainly reffering to the Sentinels. I know main storyline is enforced on forums and players have right to choose names, as long they aren't offencive, rasistic, etc..., but.... Actually i don't really know how to formulate this. On one hand I give right to everyone to choose name they like, on other hand I find such name for OT organization breach of ettiquete if nothing else.

Oh btw Savoy, did RuR decide, they'll sell out to Omni-Tek again? Or is it staying neutral?)
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

My Atlantean alt is Jacobstroud, just like on RK2
    Administrator Jacob Stroud
    Omni-Tek Department Affiliate Program - Administrative Representative, Rimor

Omni-Administrative Services Special Operations Subdepartment K-62
    Commissioner, RKDC

As I stated, I made a log.

It can be found here purely as a reference to what we discussed today :: http://espanola.com/real/Log1.htm

I would imagine all those there are happy for any constructive criticism, agreements or further input from others who were not present, to what was discussed, to allow the project to progress further.

I have not edited more than the top chattery bit before we started.

- Katelin

Hello everyone

I'd like to thank all of you who made it, for coming to the meet. The feedback you provided was most excellent. i look forward to building this project with you.

Cheers

Social
    Former Director
    ARK-Events Team
    Advisor of Rubi-ka

Thanks for letting us the opportunity to share our ideas with you, socialfly.

To comment on the implementation of this initiative, I wan't to insist again that it should be supported by some in-game mechanics.

At this time, I would say 90 % of the game-mechanic is hack'n slash oriented (PvM, PvP, you see what I mean). And the remaining 10 % is emote, some nice places to gather and fun items. This is was is called "RPG" in AO.
    Sorry but I do not consider the forums as a RPG tool. I'm not playing mmoFORUMS, I'm playing AO. Forums should support RPG, not drive it.

So 10 % is not enough to call AO a mmoRPG as RPG stands for Role Playing Game.

To give you an example: I've been in this game for almost 2,5 years now. In the early age of my character, I attended a nice omni RP meeting. It was at a nice location. We had people who were guarding the place checking people iD and doing patrols. We had nice speakers who scripted their speech (was awesome).
    2 years after that, we have Notum Wars (killing things), Shadowlands (killing things), Alien Invasion (killing things).
    No new game mechanic to support RP. We are still stuck with our emotes, forums and that's all.

As I don't like to critizice and not make proposal, here are possible exemples (all have been proposed already I think):
    - it should be possible to afiliate your guild to an Omni-department. This should be visible In Game
    - affiliating your guild to an omni-department could be a quest in itself. As a consequence, being affiliated to a department could have a minor benefit or some RP items available to those department only (ex: cop insign for Omni-Pol, special vehicule for omni-transport).
    - you should be able to access your omni-department building or omni-administrative HQ
    - players could be assigned a position in the hierarchy with some benefits attached to that (access to specific area in omni-administration building, special items like specific neck items so show your position in the hierarchy).

I think that if RPG want to have a place in AO (I do think so otherwise you guys from FC wouldn't have called this mmoRPG but mmoHack'n Slash) there should be game elements implemented to support that.
    RPG should not rely on the motivation on some players really dedicated to create some RPG events with what they can but RPG should be a motivation in it-self in a game supporting it and rewarding it.

note for sillirion: good for you this was an OOC meeting. Having a Clan attending an Omni-Tek meeting can make people a little bit nervous
    Kastagueule, enforcer 207

Space Sapin

(( Mhm, I really wanted to shoot that uclean clanner.... *grins* ))

Nice post above me! Says about everything I wanted to say. I REALLY miss seeing greenies. Now, I've been slightly "AFK" lately, mostly cause of the lack of events and things that drives me. Having gotten into the whole SK thing I'm kinda let down atm. Killing stuff is fun just so far...

I really hope this thing will be succesful
    "I wont let my precious comrades die..."
    207|11 Equimon Solitus Soldier
    150|0 Wildcardz Atrox Enforcer
    092|0 Bloodnerve Solitus Doctor
    075|0 Layered Opifex Meta-Physist
    030|0 Gunpriest Solitus Ranged Keeper Gunpriest Chronicles <- Currently Under Construction

A few words from moi =)

Kastagueule: I am not really able to comment on In game mechanics, as I am not a developer. I can only work with you guys on this project from the role play and events standpoint. I am not trying to talk down about what you posted, but it would be better suited for the suggestions forum or to send to feedback@anarchy-online.com meanwhile, working with you guys to enhance the role play is my priority, and I don't believe a game mechanic is a requirement to do that.

Perhaps that was a bold statement of me, but my experience in the last year with the Council Of Truth has shown me a lot of possibilites that exist now in game.

Equimon: We are working on getting more 'greenies' in game on the omni side. I myself miss seeing our story characters wandering the streets of Omni-1 and Rome. The Omni Meetings concept should help boost this a bit as well.

Cheers

Social
    Former Director
    ARK-Events Team
    Advisor of Rubi-ka

Im just gonna say once more how much I love this project.

As long as we are in the "we miss greenie" mood here I thought I might aswell throw in a couple of lines myself.
    I feel that a roleplay event without a greenie is much like eating a hamburger without the bread. Its really not a hamburger that way.
    Allthough I have been part of player made events like beach parties and such this is not the sort of events I am talking about here at all.
    Im talking about a group of guys with a good imagination running around in WW on a "search" mission they have come up with themselfs for some fictive org mate or some other fictive person. Allthough I think its great that people can have a fun hour that way it really does nothing for me.

That said.... Shoul I get a message through Omni Tek broadcasting network or something like that that theres a person lost in WW witch need to be picked up for the benefit of the corporation Id be the first one out there and the last one to leave. Being in a game like this and to see a person you know have a greater look at the big picture(ARK) throwing of something like that is what makes this game just that much better than anything else Ive tried.

Like we have experienced in the past. Getting a message the Dust Brigade were killin everyone in Borealis had my pulse flying through the roof. I swear when I zoned in from grid I wouldnt have left my screen even if my ***(behind) was on fire. Those "greenies" events are about the most exiting thing I know in this game.

So just so you ARK`S know it. If you come up to me and tell me I have to search through Rubi Ka for some missing OT representative I will be on my way in a heartbeat...... and lovin it!!!
    And I think theres more like me out there.

Guess what Im really trying to say is: Theres no event you ARK boys and gals make that can be to small. Everything you come up with is a blast

Ofcourse this whole Omni Tek meeting you got going is simply mindblowing

I might soon put *Slave of Socialfly* in my sigg........
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

My comment about RPG In-Game mechanics is nothing new. All this has already be discussed multiples times and those ideas sent to FC by people more involved in RP than me.

I just wanted to stress the point that unlike PvM/PvP where you are only collecting xp / sk (sorry for this shortcut), Roleplaying means you can interact with your environment and clearly have an impact on it on the long term.

AO and other games are called MMORPGs because you just simply farm xp and spend them in a character sheet afterwards. That's all.

While playing, I'm somestimes frustrated as I really have the impression that you have the players on one side and then the world on the other side and both sides are not really communicating with each other and have minimal connections.

This is why I'm really interested in this initiative but hope this will only be a first movement of AO story toward the players.
    You greenies can't run all over the place to organize or watch over events, this is why I really think some In-Game mechanics should support this. That way playing could run their own events and have the feeling we can really have an impact on the live on rubi-ka.

ex: a "side" score could be calculated every month based on the number of notum controller for each faction + number of faction quest successfully accomplished. Then evolution of the conflict based on who won this round in term of score.

An example of faction quest could be:
    1. All players, through a quest can be granted a position in one (and only one) omni-department.
    2. example of OTAF simple mission (automaticaly generated): an omni- transport crashed in WW. All players affiliated to OTAF who are online at this moment receive a message telling them their presence is required in WW to protect its content. The surroundings are heavily guarded by aliens. Mission is: kill all the aliens. Reward: 100 Omni-faction points (which could be spent to obtain a higher position in the hierarchy or on special items).
    3. example of OTAF colonel mission (you earned you colonel rank via those faction missions): you receive a mission that a Clan outpost is menacing an omni notum mine (automaticaly generated). You can then send a message to all OTAF soldier to invite them for a raid on this outpost. At the end of the raid, you earn 7 promotion letters which you can distribute to the selected players who took part to this raid (promition letter = +100 omni faction, destroyed after use).
    High ranked players could organize more complex missions with greenies.

All this is very basic RPG but could be highly motivating for all players.

Ok, sorry for this long post. I shut my mouth now and wait for the next move on OT department meetings

Space Sapin

Quote Originally Posted by Kastagueule
    I just wanted to stress the point that unlike PvM/PvP where you are only collecting xp / sk (sorry for this shortcut), Roleplaying means you can interact with your environment and clearly have an impact on it on the long term.
    And yet, all the missions you suggest are "Kill the aliens at coordinates X,Y" or "Kill the clanners at coordinates X,Y." There has to be something else to do.
    We already have events similar to these from time to time, with the Dust Brigade attacking different cities, and aliens attacking the main cities. Unfortunately most of these have very little to do with roleplay, and quickly become nothing more than a normal raid in a different location.

AO and other games are called MMORPGs because you just simply farm xp and spend them in a character sheet afterwards. That's all.
    This is hardly true. Well, maybe for the non-RPers. Maybe even for you.
    Would I be correct in assuming you didn't participate in the Newland Guard Initiative, weren't around for the reformation of the Council of Truth, etc.?

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to have combat events from time to time, but there needs to be a reason behind them--and it's more fun to talk with Ross or Radiman face to face than it is hearing a planetwide announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukblizzard
    As I stated, I made a log.

It can be found here purely as a reference to what we discussed today :: http://espanola.com/real/Log1.htm

I have not edited more than the top chattery bit before we started.
    Awh, Kate, you've been faster then me
    Ok, then i won't put it on my site yet, and wait with it until i open the site again.
    AO-Universe - The Leet Place To Be

I see what you say Keldros.

My point is that this game should have mechanics that facilitate RP as much as the xp grind.
    Sorry but 2,5 years in this game and still being stuck with emote, speech and forums is a little bit frustrating.

RP should not be something for the highly motivated people only.

Space Sapin

I have had experience with running events in the past and have managed to do quite a bit with almost nothing. With all the Omni roleplayers gathered together I am confident that we will be able to make something grand out of this. Just think what we can do together.

Speaking of together, both Omni-Tek and the Clans must unite against the common threat of the Kyr'Ozch looming over the collective heads of Rubi-Ka's humanity.....
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Quote Originally Posted by Kithrak
    I have had experience with running events in the past and have managed to do quite a bit with almost nothing. With all the Omni roleplayers gathered together I am confident that we will be able to make something grand out of this. Just think what we can do together.
    Yay! That's the spirit Kithrak!
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast