Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Can there ever be peace?

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy
    Peace will only be possible the day people give up this absurd notion of one government for one planet. Let the Clans rule the Clans, let the Neutrals rule the Neutrals, let the Rhinomen rule the Rhinomen and let Omni-Tek rule Omni-Tek. There is plenty of real estate and notum on Rubi-Ka to fit us all.
    But who is going to rule the leets?

I agree. Let's leave each other alone.
    Zen koan of the day:
    What is the sound of one buttock farting?

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    Agreed, but in reverse. this is our home. Omni can go elsewhere, we cannot. If Omni leaves, that's the end of the war. we can supply Omni with Notum, who will then supply the rest of the universe. We have the whole planet to run democratically under the Clan banner, they have reduced expenses. Win all around!
    Under that scenario I can reccommend a peace treaty to my clan, and I believe that it would get a majority vote of all Clans. As an added sweetener; I'll even help Nevver pack.
    *snort!*

Yeah, until the Clans decide to up their price beyond what it costs us in the first place (I give it a week) and hold the entire planet for ransom unless their demands are met.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy
    Mr Green, you home is up in the North, our home is down in the South.

Peace will only be possible the day people give up this absurd notion of one government for one planet. Let the Clans rule the Clans, let the Neutrals rule the Neutrals, let the Rhinomen rule the Rhinomen and let Omni-Tek rule Omni-Tek. There is plenty of real estate and notum on Rubi-Ka to fit us all.

Savoy
    Hmm.. yes, this sounds nice and all.. but.. there are issues that concern us all, omni, neutral and clan.
    These issues would have to be put before some kind of council or whatever you want to call it, where the various concerned parties would be heard and such.
    Of course, the first issue would be to agree on how this council is to be made up - how many from each faction, who are allowed to sit on the council, are the meetings open or closed and a plethora of other rules and regulations, the least of which would not be to decide which issues are to be brought before this council.
    Not to mention the ever so slight difficulty in convincing people to actually believe that such a council is completely a-political, impartial and honest to the highest degree.

While I wholeheartedly support any initiative that furthers peace, I really don't see that it is possible to go beyond our mutual distrust on a scale this large - not at first. We have to, simply have to find a way to build some trust-building measures in order to ensure a progress from this state of war that we find ourselves in.
    And this is made even more difficult by the fragmented organization that exists to a large degree on the clan and neutral sides, but also are to be found amongst omnis - neither side can guarantee that any kind of agreement will be adhered to by all their people/organizations.

What I think would be a nice starting point is some kind of cooperation in legal matters - if we can cooperate to bring stim-runners and other criminal varmints to justice, then we have a base to expand from. The current situation is that crime is rife throughout Rubi-Ka, since it is so easy to avoid capture by seeking safe havens in areas controlled by other factions and fighting crime is an area where I think we could get a majority to rally behind a united effort.

Well, whatever will be, will be - the future's not ours to see..
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jokzer
    Hmm.. yes, this sounds nice and all.. but.. there are issues that concern us all, omni, neutral and clan.
    These issues would have to be put before some kind of council or whatever you want to call it, where the various concerned parties would be heard and such.
    Of course, the first issue would be to agree on how this council is to be made up - how many from each faction, who are allowed to sit on the council, are the meetings open or closed and a plethora of other rules and regulations, the least of which would not be to decide which issues are to be brought before this council.
    Not to mention the ever so slight difficulty in convincing people to actually believe that such a council is completely a-political, impartial and honest to the highest degree.

While I wholeheartedly support any initiative that furthers peace, I really don't see that it is possible to go beyond our mutual distrust on a scale this large - not at first. We have to, simply have to find a way to build some trust-building measures in order to ensure a progress from this state of war that we find ourselves in.
    And this is made even more difficult by the fragmented organization that exists to a large degree on the clan and neutral sides, but also are to be found amongst omnis - neither side can guarantee that any kind of agreement will be adhered to by all their people/organizations.

What I think would be a nice starting point is some kind of cooperation in legal matters - if we can cooperate to bring stim-runners and other criminal varmints to justice, then we have a base to expand from. The current situation is that crime is rife throughout Rubi-Ka, since it is so easy to avoid capture by seeking safe havens in areas controlled by other factions and fighting crime is an area where I think we could get a majority to rally behind a united effort.

Well, whatever will be, will be - the future's not ours to see..
    I believe this was the intention behind the formation of the Council of Truth-to provide a forum in which clanners from all walks of RK life could come together to discuss their concerns openly with other people from the north. Unfortunately what has happened, and continues to happen, is people bringing their own personal grudges and prejudices against other clanners to the table.
    If clanner A doesn't like me for example, they are obviously going to have some bias against anything I say, suggest or believe in. This problem has plague the CoT since it's rebirth. And I'm afraid it is not an issue that is going to dissapear easily.

If the clan representatives that continue to support the CoT wish to make any progress in the future, the first step...the next step must be that we all set aside our petty differences and try to discuss matters maturely, and leave the drama at the door.

Sadly, I fully expect that this weekends emergency session is going to me nothing but more accussatory bull**** shovelled at Silverstone as he makes his case against those that accused him in the first place. It's amazing to me that he would even do this much and show evidence to the council to "clear his name" of involvement of that which he was accused of.
    People who know anything of these events would be wise to take note. When the neutral shade terrorists took control of Truth Tower, shortly after the fireworks had ended I my self boldly told Jacobi that his departure from the tower moments before the terrorists arrived sat very su****ious with me. Yet, I don't see him making any attempt to clear his name.
    This could mean a couple of things which I won't speculate here but suffice it to say, it's amazing to me a legacy clan leader would go through all this trouble for the sake of a few loud mouths who harbor prejudice against the Sentinels already.

This is just a taste of the problems inherent in the "council" system. There's no real way to "insure" that those who take part will do so without bias towards their peers.
    Charissa Maephina Vein
    212 Metaphysicist
    My RP Profile Conflicted Voice Pak Plus!
    Somehow i just know that Haiku Poets, Mimes and Martha Stewart will have something to do with the end of the world... ~Escritores

There will never be peace on Rubi-Ka until the people of the planet demand it from their leaders. War is a friend to corrupt leaders who lust after power and riches.
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

the same can be said for those seeking notariety in leading the charge for the first peace treaty or forcing the evil war seekers from power.

Even Omni-Tek isn't hierarchical enough to lay all blame on the leaders. If enough individuals agree to stop fighting, the leaders of both factions will give in eventually.
    Zen koan of the day:
    What is the sound of one buttock farting?

Well......even out in the deserts, I have some rudimentary grid feed acess....and I just could not let this sail by!

Sadly, I fully expect that this weekends emergency session is going to me nothing but more accussatory bull**** shovelled at Silverstone as he makes his case against those that accused him in the first place. It's amazing to me that he would even do this much and show evidence to the council to "clear his name" of involvement of that which he was accused of.
    People who know anything of these events would be wise to take note. When the neutral shade terrorists took control of Truth Tower, shortly after the fireworks had ended I my self boldly told Jacobi that his departure from the tower moments before the terrorists arrived sat very su****ious with me. Yet, I don't see him making any attempt to clear his name.
    You are a piece of work, Mae......apparently, your standards are extremely dualistic. Youve been on a crusade lately, doing your best to crucify those that flared tempers at Silverstone last CoT......but...when you attack Jacobi, its "bold"...
    Yes, you attack leaders for being irresponsible......Im sorry, but Im laughing at it..one minute you scream and shout that you cannot support the CoT anymore, and that you will withdraw your clans support and yourself from it....the next you are in here, still in the CoT....both you an your clan, and attack others for being irresponsible! Right...

Well, you and the CoT can continue to live in your political la-la land.....keep up your double standards, and keep sowing the seed of whatever personal agenda you might have......personally, I find the desert much more peaceful!
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs
    ......personally, I find the desert much more peaceful!
    Cogs,

Sounds to me like you are follwing in the steps of The Pilgrims. While I respect that at a personal level, don't forget that Rubi-Ka needs sane, level-headed leaders like yourself if we are ever going to sort this mess out.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Hehe, it seems that we can not even discuss the possible roads to peace without having a drama..Yes indeed - the desert is a much more tranquil place - clean and clearcut and yet amazingly complex in all its beauty. I long to be there, to be honest..

It is true that if the soldiers don't fight, then the generals are powerless. But again, the problem is that we must all agree to do this at the same time - and we're right back to the question of trust.
    And another issue will be those who will take such an event as an opportunity to elevate their own position by siding with the leaders. As has been mentioned - and indeed shown right here in this discussion - there are different groups struggling among themselves within each faction, thus creating an evironment that actually nurtures the war.

I fear that we have reached a situation where the factions themselves would see open battle internally if not for the overshadowing conflict between said factions. After all, the leap from heated argument to actual armed combat is not a very long one, once a shooting war is already in progress (if this war can be said to be in progress, it resembles trench warfare more than anything).
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

Peace, what a beautiful dream and that is all it is.

The problem is, peace on our little dust ball, will not be one born in the name of freedom. The economic forces behind all three factions are so powerful, that one side either has to conqueror the other two sides, or a buyout of the financial interest in the other two sides, both highly unlikely. One word notum!, find a substitute for it and it will give us a chance for peace, in the spirit of freedom.

Omni Tek as a company is a travesty of peace and freedom, no single company should have the level of power they do. What they failed to see was you can only push people so fare, until they start pushing back and now when that push is hurting they want peace.

There might be a peace on Rubi-ka, but will it be one in freedom or as slaves………
    Joliie - Storm unit leader - When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.
    Account Created 2001-07-06 00:00:17

Wars, conflict, it's all business. One murder makes a villain. Millions a hero. Numbers sanctify.

Well, there is a very old saying, "Noone is captive, who's thoughts are free" but not only is it very difficult indeed to live up to that while the whip cracks overhead and the chains are clinking around your feet - it also leaves us 'Trox at somewhat of a disadvantage..

((I tried to translate the saying into english and I'm aware that I didn't get a 100% successrate. However, I'm going to leave it at that, after all it's a saying passed down through 30,000 years - it's bound to be a little incorrect by now. ))
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

Can there ever be peace?

I would like to hope that someday there will be peace... but whenever I fall out of the shadow lands and end up south by omni territory, I realize as I'm collecting my remains that omni-employees can only rule or be ruled

Besides the clans aren't even one body they are just multiple regimes against the what they see as an evil corporation
    Drpepper roxx0r

Quote Originally Posted by Cardzidood
    I would like to hope that someday there will be peace... but whenever I fall out of the shadow lands and end up south by omni territory, I realize as I'm collecting my remains that omni-employees can only rule or be ruled
    It cuts both ways. I've been shot at in Clan territory so many times, even those times I have been expressly invited by Clanners for a social event.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    Agreed, but in reverse. this is our home. Omni can go elsewhere, we cannot. If Omni leaves, that's the end of the war. we can supply Omni with Notum, who will then supply the rest of the universe. We have the whole planet to run democratically under the Clan banner, they have reduced expenses. Win all around!
    Under that scenario I can reccommend a peace treaty to my clan, and I believe that it would get a majority vote of all Clans. As an added sweetener; I'll even help Nevver pack.
    Omni set foot on this planet first, not clam. Omni terraformed this planet, not clam. Omni made RubiKa what it is.

Why OmniTech allows clammers to use scannertechnology and gridtechnology and wompah technology, I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by skybert
    Omni set foot on this planet first, not clam. Omni terraformed this planet, not clam. Omni made RubiKa what it is.
    Hmm.. I'd say that it was the people of Rubi-Ka that made Rubi-Ka what it is today.
    After all, Omni-Tek is a corporation and the Terra-forming plants were built by humanoid hands, just as all the cities, bridges and roads. And indeed all the elements of our infra structure were made by the same humanoids.

And after all, the Clans are former employees (some say "slaves" but that is another topic altogether) - employees, that OT brought here and set to work in inhuman conditions, employees that rose up against the treatment they were subjected to..

Some people have chosen to accept the conditions that OT offer their employees - and to be fair, those conditions have improved according to OT personnel that I've met.

But whatever faction we belong to, we're all striving to make this planet a better place to be. I mean, are any of you actively trying to destroy our home on purpose? No, of course not.
    I'd say that being able to pursue this aim in as many ways as possible is a benefit for this planet - and by extension for OT, since their huge investment will get an even better return once this place is tamed.
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

Hmm...a lasting peace. Not for the foreseeable future I imagine. But...since it's christmas, lets have a little history lesson:

"On Christmas Eve 1914, an event that seemed unreal at the time and has not been recorded in history since, occured on the Western front. The weather took a turn for the worse and began to freeze the slush and water in the trenches where the soldiers were.

British sentries soon began to report that there appeared to be small lights, raised on poles or bayonets, in the German trenches. Although these lanterns clearly illuminated the German troops, the British held their fire. British officers also began reporting that they saw, through binoculars, that some enemy troops were holding small pine boughs over their heads with lighted candles in their branches. The Germans, who celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, were extending holiday greetings to their enemies.

A few German soldiers began to sing Stille Nacht! Heilige Nacht!. The British immediately recognized the melody and began singing Silent Night. The harmony of the carol was soon heard along the entire line.

One of the most unusual incidents in military history occured shortly after. One by one, soldiers on both sides laid down their weapons and ventured into no man's land - too many of them to prevent their superior officers from objecting. An undeclared truce had broken out spontaneously, against all orders and the rules of military combat.

For the next 24 hours, officers and men from both sides tentatively met in no man's land. They did their best to communicate with one another. They buried each other's dead. They shook hands and exchanged whatever they could as gifts.

The only shots fired were heard when two partridges took flight and soldiers tried to shoot them to add to their Christmas dinner rations. There were reliable reports that an informal soccer match took place between the Germans and the British. It was even reported that a German barber offered his services to British troops.

The truce ended just as it had begun - by mutual agreement. A captain on the British side fired three shots into the air at 8.30 a.m. on December 26th and then climbed onto his parapet. A German officer soon appeared on his parapet. They bowed, saluted and climbed back into their trenches. A few moments later, the Germans fired two shots into the air and the ceasefire was ended. "

-Gridnet source http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art26301.asp

I wonder, could the same ever happen on Rubi Ka?
    Anna 'Anuket' Tenebrae - Reassembled Grape Juice Hunter

-Elite Operations-

Quote Originally Posted by XCantara
    No...
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

While the message of that is beautiful, times were different some 27,000 years ago....as you might imagine. There was a religion called Christianity which was very prevalent at the time (which can also be found on Rubi Ka if you look hard enough), and this arguably had a part to play in it. A moment of peace, then we can go back to killing each other... Theres a lesson in that, i'm sure. Futility comes to mind. ...but I suppose it depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by XCantara
    Hmm...a lasting peace. Not for the foreseeable future I imagine. But...since it's christmas, lets have a little history lesson:

"On Christmas Eve 1914, an event that seemed unreal at the time and has not been recorded in history since, occured on the Western front. The weather took a turn for the worse and began to freeze the slush and water in the trenches where the soldiers were.

British sentries soon began to report that there appeared to be small lights, raised on poles or bayonets, in the German trenches. Although these lanterns clearly illuminated the German troops, the British held their fire. British officers also began reporting that they saw, through binoculars, that some enemy troops were holding small pine boughs over their heads with lighted candles in their branches. The Germans, who celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, were extending holiday greetings to their enemies.

A few German soldiers began to sing Stille Nacht! Heilige Nacht!. The British immediately recognized the melody and began singing Silent Night. The harmony of the carol was soon heard along the entire line.

One of the most unusual incidents in military history occured shortly after. One by one, soldiers on both sides laid down their weapons and ventured into no man's land - too many of them to prevent their superior officers from objecting. An undeclared truce had broken out spontaneously, against all orders and the rules of military combat.

For the next 24 hours, officers and men from both sides tentatively met in no man's land. They did their best to communicate with one another. They buried each other's dead. They shook hands and exchanged whatever they could as gifts.

The only shots fired were heard when two partridges took flight and soldiers tried to shoot them to add to their Christmas dinner rations. There were reliable reports that an informal soccer match took place between the Germans and the British. It was even reported that a German barber offered his services to British troops.

The truce ended just as it had begun - by mutual agreement. A captain on the British side fired three shots into the air at 8.30 a.m. on December 26th and then climbed onto his parapet. A German officer soon appeared on his parapet. They bowed, saluted and climbed back into their trenches. A few moments later, the Germans fired two shots into the air and the ceasefire was ended. "

-Gridnet source http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art26301.asp

((Very much out of character here,

Sorry for the long quote, but that was really touching! ))
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast