Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Can there ever be peace?

Quote Originally Posted by Escritores
    We build this planet. You did not.. We where the hardworking slaves of omni tek that did all the work here. It might have had a OT logo on the cover but since amjority of the Clans did all your dirty work it would be much more than a lie to claim that you made this planet what it is today. I can give you the war and the suffering but besides that... nothing.

You were HIRED OT employee's who revolted like a spoiled child,no there will never be peace until the clan have been imprisoned or wiped off the face of Rubi-ka.Want the war bring it Omni-Tek is not going anywhere stop sitting on your heels and do something about it.Omni-Tek still owns almost all of the biggest Notum Wars bases in the game.Want to prove how strong your will for freedom is attack them and let's see which side leaves the battleground broken and beaten like dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock62
    You were HIRED OT employee's who revolted like a spoiled child,no there will never be peace until the clan have been imprisoned or wiped off the face of Rubi-ka.Want the war bring it Omni-Tek is not going anywhere stop sitting on your heels and do something about it.Omni-Tek still owns almost all of the biggest Notum Wars bases in the game.Want to prove how strong your will for freedom is attack them and let's see which side leaves the battleground broken and beaten like dogs.
    Revolted like a spoiled brat? Let me guess, You probably have never picked up an axe and wen't into a mine have you? And it's not even just about that, It's about the Omni-Tek policy against humans. Not wanting to be enslaved for a lowsy extra credit is different than being a spoiled brat!
    My title Keeper. My mind on my grind. Assembly's my heart. They shine when I shine.

Kyarash "Legaron" Davoudi
    Keeper of Assembly

"Seen through human experience there are as many worlds as there are humans. Understanding that the word "human" defines a point in eternity and not a seperate reality is the begining of knowing"

There is absolutely no reason for the conflict to drag on. The Clans have defacto been independent for centuries now and notum is plentiful. More to the point, in a few decades OT’s lease runs out, which means that anything we decide by force now will be no bearing on the planet’s future in the long run.

Omni-Tek’s lease on Rubi-Ka will run out in 50-70 years regardless of whether they defeat the Clans or not. Wiping out the Clan would only make it easier on the planet’s next leaseholder, which will most likely be one or more of Omni-Tek’s rivals. Likewise even if the Clans did succeed in kicking Omni-Tek off Rubi-Ka, they would still have to content with Rubi-Ka’s next lease owners regardless. It is all for nothing.

So why does the fighting drag on? I think the previous poster has got it right. There are a lot of people with vested interests in the war. Many in the OT military forces feel they need to prove a point, they need to redress centuries of humiliation of having been bested in battle by “mere Clanners”. And like the feudal lords of old Earth, many Clan leaders have based their power and authority on military might. Without an enemy and war to fight, they might their followers no longer need them. Case in point, Simon Silverstone of the Sentinels was only allowed to seize control of Tir because many Clanners were running scared of Omni-Tek at the time. If you removed Omni-Tek from the picture, do you think he would have been allowed to simply move in his troops into Tir?

The people who stand to gain from the conflict might be a minority. However the fact is all you need is a few warmongering troublemakers to drag everyone, even the moderates, into the fight. When the bullets start to fly, the fine points of reason are often lost. All the remains is the simple, animalistic instinct of who is ‘Us’ and who is ‘Them’.

To bring peace we must learn to turn our backs to the warmongers of our own faction.
    Until that day we will are be held hostage by the this minority, and all the sane, moderate people of the planet will remain voiceless and disenfranchised, forced to prosecute an meaningless, century long conflict.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy
    The people who stand to gain from the conflict might be a minority.
    Almost true If history teaches us nothing else, it teaches us that it is always a minority that stands to gain enough to actually start a war, either politically or financially or a combination of the two.
    This holds true even when a war is already happening - a few more people might start to benefit, but even when the numbers are boosted in this way they do not make up a majority.
    Unfortunately, once a war is in progress (or whatever a war does..) it quickly becomes almost unstoppable, for a variety of reasons but mostly because people in times of crisis and/or war tend to accept everything their leaders tell them as truth..
    This has taken place throughout recorded history, be the conflict an existing settlement on a planet (like here) or a new planet "settled" against the original inhabitant's wishes or just plain old corporation differences.
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

Cogs, the greater good at this time just might be fighting off the aliens together
    Jokzer, I understand those were his underlying intentions with this question. However....its not my point. Perhaps my initital post was unclear.
    Zack is asking if Clans would join OT for the greater good! Chew on that for a while....what does it imply? Shall one simply accept the implications?
    Perhaps Im nitpicking.....but I see this as yet another arrogant statement on OT's behalf, disguised and sugarcoated, enticing Clans into letting OT call the shots.

Im still saying no......and if doing so means I will die the permanent death at the hand of alien technology, I will do so knowing I died and fought as a clanner to the end, with my head held high! If doing so means that Omni-Tek will face erradication and forcefully be evicted from the planet with all their evil ideologies, I will do so proudly.
    The gloves are off........and, dang it.....I've still got desert sand in my nose!
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

Cogs, I see your point, to a degree. I mean, if any clanner wanted to join forces with OT, then all they have to do is get one of those pamphlets with all the nice-sounding promises and try to convince some OT official that they really want's to jump the fence. (And this actually goes in both directions.)

Anyone expecting people from either faction to fully join forces with the other, as in totally accepting the opponent's viewpoints, is as wrong as can be. Noone with an ounce of self respect will do that - regardless of side. And even those going over the fence are not likely at all to fully embrace their newfound friends' viewpoints, one and all. They will forever be comparing what they see now to what they saw before, and hopefully (for their sake of mind) they will find that their present circumstances suit them better - but they can never be sure of it, and neither can anyone else.

Negotiating some middle ground and respecting that we each have our own beliefs will be the best that we can hope for. And it's not too likely that we'll get to see that in the near future.

I prefer to see it from the point of a soldier: I'm born and bred (literally) to do one thing, namely fight, and while I received my training I was taught to do so with honour. I was told to live and fight with honour, and when one or both of these were no longer possible, to die with honour. As I've said previouosly, I'm supposed to lay down my life that others may live and I hope that I will be able to do that if/when the time comes. So far, I've succeeded and reclaim has enabled me to continue fighting.
    Now, as a fighter I've seen my share, at least, of combat - and I'd give a lot to see people live in peace and freedom (whatever freedom might be to them) and watch them raise their children and bring this world to bloom as I hope it can. If that means reaching some sort of compromise with OT, then so be it, and I'll speak in favour of peace as often as I can. Because, frankly, I've seen too much blood spilled needlessly already, be that my own, my comrades', OT soldiers' or innocent civilians caught in the suddenly erupting battle.

I do not for one second propose to give OT supremacy over the clans, no matter the remaining time on their lease, I say that a compromise is something where both parties give some and take some.
    The thing that I'm calling for is the acceptance of the fact that people are different. Unfortunately, some are not going to accept this, for whatever reason that makes sense to them, and so we'll keep fighting senseless battles causing immense harm to the ecology and our respective economies, not to mention our populations.
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

I am a tool of Omni-Tek. I came to grips with this long ago. I do not have control of all OT's decisions...or many for that matter. I do not try to justify if a particular action made by OT is "right" or "just'. I have seen things ordered by OT Officials that I'd rather I hadn't seen. But I have seen great things done by OT. I have seen new worlds opened for Humanity. I have been on missions to aid disaster victims. I have ended "Civil" Wars in which wholesale genocide was considered a "sport". Yes, I have seen the GOOD that can be done by OT. That is why I am still an employee of OT. But THIS conflict....*shakes head*....this is a bad one....I dont know how to peacefully end this one. Funny you should mention the lease ending. Because, I have had contact with 3 of the 5 Corporations bidding. You better start your shelters now. If they get the lease, Tir will be a big glass bowl...and that will just be a warning. I cant tell you that OT will make peace...I cant tell you OT WANTS to make peace. But I can tell you that unless an agreement is made, the fighting will not end until the last OT troops are off the planet. LOL...and then the NEW management moves in. Maybe its better to deal with the devil you know, then the one you dont.

And my friends....dont worry about me. The Chaindogs of Omni-Reform and I know each other all too well. I said earlier I am a tool, yes, but an incredibly expirienced and valuable tool. Command tolerates my "excentrics[?]"...my talk of "honor" and "Justice". As long as I keep it within margins, and it doesnt effect the mission, they ignore it. However, there was one individual....real Inquisiter type, [NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!], he made it his life goal to bring me down.....hmmmmm...I hear he is still listed as MIA.......
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

50-70 years? I might be mistaken now, but my calculations say otherwise. The lease was signed on January 1st, 28708. That's 771 years ago. The lease was signed for 1000 years, according to the history logs. That means there's 229 years to go, which is well past any of our lifetimes.

Quote Originally Posted by FILO_Lawdog
    The Chaindogs
    [[Sorry, but I couldn't help noticing that one.. I haven't seen the phrase "Kettenhunde" for a long, long time ]]
    Tempus fugit.

Some don't have film.

-PHB/Scott Adams

I believe the lease was shortened by the ICC after the corporate wars. ((I could be wrong))

Quote Originally Posted by Tussa
    50-70 years? I might be mistaken now, but my calculations say otherwise. The lease was signed on January 1st, 28708. That's 771 years ago. The lease was signed for 1000 years, according to the history logs. That means there's 229 years to go, which is well past any of our lifetimes.
    [ Ack, they keep messing with the timeline. There was a speech from Ross back in 2002 in which he clearly said OT had only 24 years left on the lease. I year later I remember doing the math and it was more like 50. Apparently there is even a old document somewhere that say the lease was for 30,000 year! Sheesh! ]
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

[[ *takes bow*...thank you , thank you......a big shout out to David Drake, S.M. Stirling, Eric Flint and all the present day Masters of Military Sci-Fi]]
    Because we said so.

((Long long ago, in a galaxy far far away....
    Shameless necro bump, but this was the thread that introduced me to /RP on Rubi Ka so long ago...))
    Because we said so.

Nice read, and thanks. Always fun to use the "wayback" machine.

Ps, what is up with all the necros today? This is like the foruth one I've seen so far from over 4 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567