Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Can there ever be peace?

Can there ever be peace?

In recent days, I have seen nothing but Clans against Omnis. I find this particularly disturbing as it follows so closely on the heels of Phillip Ross' message of unity. So I have a question for all Clanners:

Would you ever join forces with Omni-Tek for the greater good?

I expect I know the answer to this, but I feel it only fair to give the Clans a chance to speak for themselves. And please, leave your Omni-bashing rhetoric at home; this is for constructive discussion, not the automatic gainsay of whatever an Omni says just because he's an Omni.
    Zack "Eternalforce" Craddock
    Professional soldier of fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustynova
    ahhh Ao where the men are boys the women are men and the leets are very very nervous.

I can only speak for myself (and a few friends, I guess), but I would love a peace treaty with Omni-Tek. As long as you agree to acknowledge the Clans' freedom, of course.
    Zen koan of the day:
    What is the sound of one buttock farting?

I don't know that I can speak for everyone in my Clan, but those of you who know us probably know that we are friends with those who are friends with us. I, for one, would welcome a peace or failing that, a cease fire while we address the alien menace.

I am aware that there are both Omni-Tek and Clanners that would rather die than see that happen, which is a shame. Sometimes it is necessary to join forces for the greater good of all, but there are terrible wounds of the past on both sides taht may make that impossible.

I can only imagine as I was brought up in the relative freedom of the Shadowlands and the conflict on the planet is fairly new to me.
    Dedicated Member of
    Unity of the Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Grythena
    I can only imagine as I was brought up in the relative freedom of the Shadowlands and the conflict on the planet is fairly new to me.
    Well, I was brought up on Rubi-Ka, and I'm as ready as the next guy to embrace peace. But then again, the next guy might not be all that ready...
    Zen koan of the day:

As long as I am on this planet, I will fight against Omni Tek....and I speak for the entire Black Company.

This is not a question that one person amongst the Clans can answer. Many clans have different views on the conflict. This question has been asked many times, and the answer is the same each time. Some say "Yes", some say "No", and as long as we dont agree the answer will be a "No". I dont see peace any time in the near future as long as the more extreme parties are around. It just wont happen unless we all agree, and that wont happen.

I wish it were up to a majority vote, but unfortunately that would take too much effort to organize, and even then one half of the Clans would never be happy with the outcome one way or the other.

My personal oppinion, I think a time of peace would be beneficial to all of us, it would give us all a chance to recuperate. As well as giving everyone more time to focus on the looming problem of the Kyr'Ozch invasion.
    Last edited by Fixerben; Dec 2nd, 2004 at 16:35:15.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Quote Originally Posted by Fixerben
    This is not a question that one person amongst the Clans can answer. Many clans have different views on the conflict. This question has been asked many times, and the answer is the same each time. Some say "Yes", some say "No", and as long as we dont agree the answer will be a "No". I dont see peace any time in the near future as long as the more extreme parties are around. It just wont happen unless we all agree, and that wont happen.
    I understand your feelings on this issue. However cooperation with Omni-Tek does not really require an official peace treaty or even a cease-fire. It may sound counter-intuitive but I know I would personally be willing to rush to the aid of Clan cities that are under attack of Alien ships. The question is really are you willing to rush to aid our cities?

I believe only through such unofficial cooperation can we hope to see RK saved from the Aliens and eventually Clanners and Omnis forming relationships (maybe even friendships) that will eventually lead to an official peace treaty or cease fire.

It is of course not without some pleasure that I recognize such an informal agreement would leave mindless Clann/Omni zealots like Astera to face the aliens alone in their hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by Issildari
    It is of course not without some pleasure that I recognize such an informal agreement would leave mindless Clann/Omni zealots like Astera to face the aliens alone in their hatred.
    hah, You seem to understand my point of view. I've applied this principle to many other things than just the Aliens and interfactional cooperation. This also shows in how extremists on the planet view the Neutrals, and other organizations that are potential resources. Extremists will alienate themselves from anyone that would help them and end up isolated, but thats a choice they make. To them it may seem worth it, but as I said "The enemy, of my enemy, is my friend." Meaning that I would support a temporary cease fire, and would be willing to aid other factioned forces during this invasion, but after its over all bets are off.

hah, You seem to understand my point of view.
    I believe I do

To them it may seem worth it, but as I said "The enemy, of my enemy, is my friend." Meaning that I would support a temporary cease fire, and would be willing to aid other factioned forces during this invasion, but after its over all bets are off.
    In that case please call on me the next time you face an alien invasion and I will do my best to come to your aid. I will also call on you when the aliens threaten me.

I hope Lubricus and Grythena can be convinced to enter a similar agreement. I will also attempt to convince the non-zealot Omnis I know to come here and pledge themselves unofficially as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Issildari
    In that case please call on me the next time you face an alien invasion and I will do my best to come to your aid. I will also call on you when the aliens threaten me.
    I appreciate the sentiment, but due to differences in our skill level, it would not be beneficial to either of us.

((I'm afraid that due to the differences in our level, this would be a horrible idea. If I, as a level 200+ player, stood in your city during an attack, you'd get Aliens 4-5 times your level and be utterly raped to hell and back. I do have a level 57 MA, as well as some other alts though if you ever do need help.))

Can there ever be peace?

There is obviously no really easy, short answer to this question. The problems I see inherent in any approach toward peace between OTRK and the Clans are staggering and continue to grow.

Take for example Ross's return as you mentioned.

When Ross left this planet to fend for it's self in the face of an alien attack, he made it clear, as he made his exit, that Omni Prime was aware of this impending attack well before it occurred.
    Now Ross returns, Omni Prime representative at his side, espousing words of unity and peace between the peoples of Rubi Ka.

It's hard not to see the sickening falsehood that lies beneath the surface here. Witnesses to Ross's most recent public appearances have stated that in the course of Ross's speeches he seems to take his cues from the OT Prime Rep in his company. This indicates a very good possibility that Ross is solely operating here as a figurehead. He HAS been on RK for a considerable amount of time and it would have been foolish for OT Prime not to see Ross's popularity among the citizens here on RK.

Add to this also the massive increase of Omni AF and Unicorn Company Troopers throughout Omni Territory coinciding with Ross's return. I have been privy to reports that these Unicorn troopers are unlike any we have previously encountered, capable of cloaking from plain sight and annihilating some of the moat powerful among us in a single shot. Add to that their apparent incorporation of alien technology into their weapons and equipment and one could take away a sense that Omni Tek has been seriously holding out on us.

Suffice it to say it is sending a message to those of us who know these things that Omni Tek has a single interest at mind here...and that is their own survival.

What would you have us do? Submit to a ceasefire with Omni Tek thus allowing the proliferation of Unicorn and Omni AF forces across the planet? What happens once the alien threat is pushed out of our territories or off the planet? Do you expect us to believe OT AF and Unicorn company forces will just up and leave?

I sincerely doubt, when given an opportunity like my above statements suggest, that anyone can honestly see how OT would NOT take advantage of a better military set up here in the north. And there in lies the problem with any proposal of peace. We in the clans have absolutely no way to guarantee that Omni would honor any agreement to withdraw once the alien threat is dealt with. We have no way to guarantee or truly believe any promises that Omni Tek will not take advantage of their increased military resources and attack the clans head on.

When you can find a way and a means for these things to be a reality then perhaps there can be talk of a ceasefire between OT and the clans but until then I simply do not think it realistically possible.
    Charissa Maephina Vein
    212 Metaphysicist
    My RP Profile Conflicted Voice Pak Plus!
    Somehow i just know that Haiku Poets, Mimes and Martha Stewart will have something to do with the end of the world... ~Escritores

I can never forgive Omni-Tek for it's many crimes, I was an employee for the majority of my life and I know how they run, it's not pretty. So as long as I have a breath in my body I will always be on the frontline against the Omni-Tek Corporation.
    "I have no idea what you're talking about.."

Glenn "Stefano" Kyren - Lieutenant of The Black Company, Grandmaster Assassin for the Clans and proud supporter of Silverstone and the Sentinels.

Romulus "Arnthem" McChristian - Trigger Happy Soldier for the Company.

''The Wraiths never die, merely fade away. Only to appear when someone least expects it.'' - Shrine of the Wraith

The Black Company Forums
    Roleplaying Profile of Glenn "Stefano" Kyren

To quote a man who lived many many years ago.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war!" - Plato
    Last edited by Escritores; Dec 3rd, 2004 at 00:54:17.
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

I'll fight against any coporation's rule of my home. Plain and simple. The planet shouldn't belong to a company. It should belong to the people who live there.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixentrox
    I'll fight against any coporation's rule of my home. Plain and simple. The planet shouldn't belong to a company. It should belong to the people who live there.
    Well that is all nice and dandy, but do you ever stop to consider that before it became "your world" is was the corporations world and that before it was a planet a corporation had to breathe life into this barren rock?

Give us a little credit , huh? It not like the Clan are the native species of the planet and we are the invaders.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy
    Well that is all nice and dandy, but do you ever stop to consider that before it became "your world" is was the corporations world and that before it was a planet a corporation had to breathe life into this barren rock?

Give us a little credit , huh? It not like the Clan are the native species of the planet and we are the invaders.

Savoy
    We build this planet. You did not.. We where the hardworking slaves of omni tek that did all the work here. It might have had a OT logo on the cover but since amjority of the Clans did all your dirty work it would be much more than a lie to claim that you made this planet what it is today. I can give you the war and the suffering but besides that... nothing.
    Last edited by Escritores; Dec 3rd, 2004 at 03:42:33.
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Escritores
    We build this planet. You did not.. We where the hardworking slaves of omni tek that did all the work here. It might have had a OT logo on the cover but since amjority of the Clans did all your dirty work it would be much more than a lie to claim that you made this planet what it is today. I can give you the war and the suffering but besides that... nothing.
    Nevver snickers.

You dug holes in the ground, Atrox. Our technology terraformed the planet and our technology maintains the climate you so enjoy. You're welcome.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

How quickly the informal peace talks turned into a slugfest...

I'll aid any human individual or settlement against the alien threat if I can. The problem is that I'm likely to be shot at by the "enemy" before I even get to the endangered person or place, even though I was brought up among the clans, and never left Omni-Tek per se. I think both sides need to acknowledge that there are civilians out there, or at least people who don't want to fight for their lives all the time. Sure, even we clanners owe Omni-Tek a lot, and vice versa. Sure, we have insulted and wounded each other on numerous occasions. Let that lie for now. We are being attacked by unrelenting aliens, who might be intent on our destruction. If all humans on Rubi-Ka die, what does it matter who buildt the mines, or who terraformed the inhabitable areas?
    Zen koan of the day:

Quote- "Would you ever join forces with Omni-Tek for the greater good"?

Omni-Tek is a giant, predatory, greedy, selfserving corporation, that dosent care about anything except the bottom line and satisfaction of the share holders. For the greater good u say?. I see no greater good in this. Why would anyone want to join forces with a lumbering beast of this magnatude. Corporate greed does not equal the greater good. Not for me, nor anyother citizen on this planet. And for this reason i will fight Omni-tek till my last breath.

Steelyglint

Proud General of The Black Company

"We give our word. They shall not pass"

Quote Originally Posted by steelyglint
    Quote- "Would you ever join forces with Omni-Tek for the greater good"?

Omni-Tek is a giant, predatory, greedy, selfserving corporation, that dosent care about anything except the bottom line and satisfaction of the share holders. For the greater good u say?. I see no greater good in this. Why would anyone want to join forces with a lumbering beast of this magnatude. Corporate greed does not equal the greater good. Not for me, nor anyother citizen on this planet. And for this reason i will fight Omni-tek till my last breath.
    I see where you are coming from, but we aren't talking about going back to being Omni-Tek employees or anything. Just that we may very well need to stand together against the aliens, for the common benefit of all. Would you rather die than letting the omnis help you fight the aliens? I certainly wouldn't. I may despise the Omni-Tek greed and the Omni-Tek inhumanity, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily despise everyone still working for that corporation, or that I see all those employees as evil.
    Last edited by Lubricus; Dec 3rd, 2004 at 10:44:34.
    Zen koan of the day:

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast