Thread: Client Side ...

Client Side ...

I started out hoping that I could play something unique and fun. This free month has started out really well!
    I didn't even hear about AO till I saw it in a lowly software store, and at first I thought this was a pretty interesting game. But probably like all the other online games out there. All the reviews about AO were shoddy to say the least, claiming everything from bad this to bad that. but I didn't pay them any heed. I said, the only way for me to find out, is if I actually do play.. I thought you were better than that. Sides I really dislike those gaming magazines. They just seem to get it all wrong all the time.

But anyway after playing the first few days I must say that those reviews about you did not do you justice!

Anyway. Please Please, try to optimize the client side application. If you do improve the fps, I will be eternally grateful and you can count on having a customer for the next 4 years or however long it takes.

But If I am still lagging in the middle of Omni Entertainment with 6 people walking around by the end of December.. I think I am going to have to cancel my subscription. It's just not fun when I am lagging in the middle of Omni Entertainment, and my new made friends asking me why I keep walking into the wall.

Red face

Yay, and nothing is more fun than trying to run a 100% red mission through with grid runner or better, 20+ mobs after you and see fps go into some dark hole and die

AO has a myriad of choices for graphics settings.

Your best bet is to lower your settings if FPS bother you.

I play on a P3-600/256Megs RAM/Gforce3 in 1600x1200 non-windowed mode with max graphics. FPS take a huge hit in areas like OT trade but the game is just too gorgeous to play with lower settings so I don't mind the fps hit. In missions or while fighting in a stable spot outdoors my fps are good (25-30).

Also try /viewdist and /chardist commands.

I'm working on building a new pc

Originally posted by Dr. Sent
    AO has a myriad of choices for graphics settings.

Your best bet is to lower your settings if FPS bother you.

I play on a P3-600/256Megs RAM/Gforce3 in 1600x1200 non-windowed mode with max graphics. FPS take a huge hit in areas like OT trade but the game is just too gorgeous to play with lower settings so I don't mind the fps hit. In missions or while fighting in a stable spot outdoors my fps are good (25-30).

Also try /viewdist and /chardist commands.

I'm working on building a new pc
    If you are working on a new PC, then you wouldn't mind sending me your 256 megs! The thing is, I think that alot of people just don't have the resources for say.. 256 megs of ram, and a gforce3 card. Alot of people I've talked to in game, tell me they have a geforce 2, or a built in card. geforce 2's go in the range of about 30 bucks or so (if you know where to look)

And I just think that it would be a mistake if Funcom would design an awesome game if only half of the population of the current gamers could play. so I guess I am just asking Funcom if they could maybe, do some more optimization of the game so that maybe I can put it back to medium when I enter omni trade. I am sure that if they could optimize the game graphics, they could attrac more people into the game who have everything but the high end graphics card. It makes sense buisness wise!

The thing is the problem isnt the graphics. It's some other part of the code. I've tried almost every possible graphics setting with every nVidia card from a TNT2 16mb to a GF2 with 64mb and get essentially the same frame rates. The only difference I noticed from the low ram cards to the high ram cards was the low frame rate "spikes". This is I assume from swapping the textures out from the video card to system ram more often on the low ram cards.

There is something else entirely that slow down the game. I am thinking it's the net code waiting on the servers...

Try this. Go into a crowded area like the BB in Omni-E. Set your chardist to around 40 and let your FPS level off. Now set chardist to 5 or so and let it level back off. You will only see a few (2-3+) fps difference...

Bump

Bump ^^

I think, that since Funcom is doing everything they can to attract people and create a large playerbase, then.. they should work on
    the optimization of the code to allow for more people to play AO with few problems in the fps.

Please Funcom.. do something about this =(
    I wonder if they even read these posts...