Thread: A Report from the 2nd Annual Science Symposium

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

A Report from the 2nd Annual Science Symposium

by Freelance Reporter Jillian "Savoy" Kaba

(IRRK) --The finest scientific minds on the planet meet at the Second Annual Isaac Asimov Science Symposium amidst concerns about xeno-contamination of the food supply.

On Saturday 14th, scientists from all over Rubi-Ka met at Reets Retreat for the traditional November Science Symposium. Speakers at the symposium this year included Jimi "Virta" Hendrix from Omni-Pol, Tom "Bogosorter" Markarian from R.U.R. [IC], Charles "Kithrak" Houston from the Midnight Reveries and Emile "Stanislaw" Cervenak also from R.U.R. [IC].

Virta opened the proceedings with a study entitled 'The social dynamics of Omni-Ent cleaning robots.' His study suggests that the humble cleaning bots may not only have developed clan-like social structures but they are also fiercely territorial.

Bogosorter speculated that many of the alien artifacts identified as weapons by human scientists might in fact serve entirely different purpose in Kry'Orch society, such as eating implements.

Kithrak presented some preliminary results of research conducted by his company Xeno-Tek. Their study suggests that xeno-biomaterial from the Kry'Orch is slowly but surely finding its way into the Rubi-Kan food chain. Kithrak stated in his paper, "Unfortunately, the contamination runs deep and is everywhere. Aside from the physical contact with the aliens, Omni-Tek occasionally vaporizes a Kyr'Ozch fighter or transport, dispersing the alien biomaterial in the form of a fine mist over a large area."

Even the innocent looking Bronto Burger we all know and love could potentially hide some unknown dangers. Clearly however this area will require further study in the months and years to come and is of yet inconclusive.

Stanislaw's illustration of robot psychology using the technique known as "Free Association" nearly ended in disaster as one of the test subject robots went haywire. Fortunately, officers from Omni-Pol were able to stop the robot before anyone was hurt.

How did someone like Savoy become a reporter for the IRRK anyway, huh? I will have to bow at the attempt at making the Omni point of view appear the one that more truthful news organizations would print. It's shameful, it's deceitful, and it's exactly what one would come to expect from Omni employees.

Don't believe me? Think I'm just a crank? You have the right to do that if you so desire. But, for starters, no one believes a word that comes out of the mouths of Omtron or any of the other official Omni news agencies. So, the independent news sources are the only ones that serious people believe. And I think this is wise and true.

Now, given that, let's take a look at our roster at the Isaac Asimov Science Symposium, shall we? Oh, I wonder if, from those who were interviewed by the "FREELANCE" reporter Savoy, we might derive a theme? Oh, gee...hmmmmm. The evidence is right there in front of me. I'm sure I could spot the pattern if I tried. Eureka! They are all OMNI. Freelance, my pasty white nanomage ass. Finest minds? Wow.

Having said this, let's get on with the statements of this august scientific body and see what we can see, shall we? I do so enjoy this.

Virta opened the proceedings with a study entitled 'The social dynamics of Omni-Ent cleaning robots.' His study suggests that the humble cleaning bots may not only have developed clan-like social structures but they are also fiercely territorial.
    This is an interesting postulate. Machines have already been proven to exhibit some form of sentience, or at least the appearance of it, due to their amazing level of programmed artificial intelligence. However, what I read into this is that their "clan-like" behaviour is a defect according to Virta. No, I would have to disagree. If the meaning in this statement is that the robots are being made into Clan-like organizations due to the contamination of their structures and brain matrices, then you need to go back to Psych class. The organization of robots into a structure that appears more like the Clan model as opposed to the Omni model is only natural, given that they are subservient beings with a sentience level that allows them to understand what servitude is all about. The individual wanting to be free of the shackles of whatever shackles it should be nothing new to anyone. Except that the "fine minds" here would have you believe that, by inference, Clan-like behaviour is a psychological abberation. Bollocks.

Bogosorter speculated that many of the alien artifacts identified as weapons by human scientists might in fact serve entirely different purpose in Kry'Orch society, such as eating implements.
    At least one of you knows how to report like a scientist. Too bad it's not the subject which was presented at the symposium you held. I, for one, am fascinated by anthropology of any kind, and this sort of xenoanthropology would make for very interesting insights into the universe of the K's. I wouldn't mind seeing this topic laid out in other forums. I bow to you, Bogo.

Kithrak presented some preliminary results of research conducted by his company Xeno-Tek. Their study suggests that xeno-biomaterial from the Kry'Orch is slowly but surely finding its way into the Rubi-Kan food chain. Kithrak stated in his paper, "Unfortunately, the contamination runs deep and is everywhere. Aside from the physical contact with the aliens, Omni-Tek occasionally vaporizes a Kyr'Ozch fighter or transport, dispersing the alien biomaterial in the form of a fine mist over a large area."
    Of this there can be no doubt. The viral materials that are the makeup of the alien physiology and it's technology are surely all over Rubi-Ka by now. However, this could be taken as read, could it not? And I'm not certain of the conclusions that are being reached here, if in fact there are any. The only one I can make a logical inference to is that there is proof that the alien biomaterial contaminates everything it comes into contact with (no doubt 100% correct) and this is the cause for the robot behaviour. Again, "clan-like" behaviour is as ancient as man is. Perhaps coming into contact with the alien contamination has given a new property to the robot's AI, allowing them to THINK. And in doing so, have opted to adopt a Clan structure. How wonderful. Choosy robots choose Clan.

Even the innocent looking Bronto Burger we all know and love could potentially hide some unknown dangers. Clearly however this area will require further study in the months and years to come and is of yet inconclusive.
    Since someone dared mention the name of the revered Asimov to legitimize this little Omni dog and pony show, it's only fair to chime in that you could very well be correct with this statement. Since Clan does stand for individual freedom, I don't think that Clan as a whole would mind too awfully if there was a big robot rebellion if, due to the ever growing alien viral contamination, robots were to shrug off the shackles of their masters (whoever they might ally with) and become free members of the race of sentients.

As my hero Thomas Jefferson once said, "I like a little rebellion from time to time". He, of course, alludes to the fact that sentient beings that hold the belief structure that life is "nasty, brutish and short" (from Hobbes Leviathan, if you wish to peruse the babbling maniac's work) will attempt to amass power over the rest of their equals, which then would inexorably cause a slide into rebellion once that power was utilized in a less than egalitarian manner. A robot political grouping into a Clan way of thinking would not necessarily be good for any of us if they choose to use their newly found power against those not like them (i.e., sentient machines). However, when one wishes to be free and has the sentience to understand that he is not, this is an inevitable conclusion. And, by the way, their right.

Stanislaw's illustration of robot psychology using the technique known as "Free Association" nearly ended in disaster as one of the test subject robots went haywire. Fortunately, officers from Omni-Pol were able to stop the robot before anyone was hurt.
    I'm not surprised at this reaction. Trying to psychoanalyze a robot, geez. The trouble here is, we are not certain if the robot under test was one of those that exhibited "free thought". If you were merely trying to do this to a plain old average workaday cleaning bot, well then, I can't imagine that you would have too much success with trying to bring over to it the concepts that only man would find meaningful. Perhaps a different technique using concepts that robots would find meaningful would have worked better. However, in the end, it's telling just the same. If the contamination of the alien materials was pervasive everywhere, then all of the artificial intelligences would no doubt have come into contact with it by now, given the laws of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics and absorption. Surely then we would be in the midst of a robot rebellion! But we are not. So, despite the theory being presented, I doubt very seriously that the cause of this anomalous robot behaviour has anything at all to do with the alien biomaterials.

Perhaps there are other reasons for the behaviour of these observed robots that have nothing to do with aliens at all. Perhaps, given enough time, a being given sentience finally understands that he wants to be free from servitude, and forms in groups of like-minded individuals and associates with them in order to remain free of slavery and servitude. Perhaps they just did this all on their own. Which then begs the next question. If robots can understand this, why cannot Omni?
    -----------------------------------
    The few, the proud...the Traders.

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!

First of all, I think you will find I am not the only one who has been given the opportunity to write for IRRK. I am sure you will find fellow Clanners writing for the IRRK too before long, so please let’s not get carried away with conspiracy theories.

The Science Symposium was about science not politics (you’d think the name a bit of a hint). If you took the trouble to check the announcements which went out prior to the symposium, ( http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=345708 ) you will that the organisers appealed to scientists from any faction to come forward and speak at the symposium. If you looked at last November’s symposium’s logs (http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=204326 ), you would notice there was a Clan speaker, Ariekel of Whispers Edge.

The fact the only Omni scientist presented their work this year at the symposium was something outside the organisers’ control. Hopefully next year more Neutral and Clan scientists will choose to discuss their work at this venue. But in the meantime do you really think it would have been better to cancelled the conference simply because they did not have the politically correct set quota of speakers from each faction?

Let’s not turn everything into a political squabble. All full transcript of the event can be found here http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=353882 You can see for yourself that the topic covered were purely of scientific interest.

To paraphrase Freud, sometimes a symposium is just a symposium.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

While always slightly itching towards OT, IRRK maintained aura of more or less neutrality and renome of acurate reporting. Meaning that they sticked mainly to facts and unsided reports.

Freelance Reporter Jillian "Savoy" Kaba is probably reporting dealings of Symposium correctly (using probably only becouse I hadn't vitness it myself, not as any indication I would doubt in it anyway). And noone can contribute to her doings lack of neutral or clan speakers. But both her reputation, sponsor(s) of Symposium and report style cast shadow on neutral reporting. To clearify my statement:

1.) She's still OT employee, although OT discarded RUR
    2.) RUR going from OT to freemarket. OT is home to plenty of non-profitable branches (especially in field of research), so speculations of other mothives circulate.
    3.) Each report is self-censord in a way. Information must be presented clearly, acuratly and containing only facts (preferably checked ones). It also must reffer from opinion either by reporter itself or people report is ablout, especially if there's no accurate way to test those opinions.

While #1 shows mainly lack of character (()) and #2 is speculation, most serius is #3. Report is (or seems to be, acording to transcript) clear, acurate and to the point. Unfortunatly even tho reporting on presentation 'The social dynamics of Omni-Ent cleaning robots.' is acurate, wording isn't fit to classify as neutral (or one without personal opinion). Wording itself originates from speaker himself, but presents strong sided effect, which Mrs. Savoy choose to forward to general audience. Since whole study indicates Clan structure inferior to OT one (or in turn Clan side inferior to OT), so does report. I'm suprised that editor-in-chief of IRRK let this be published uncensored ( no real blame to Mrs. Savoy, since it's hard to edit yourself and it's even harder to be neutral about some topic).

((Nice work all, special applaude to "Man" Bogosorter for actuall scientific study [not affecting surroundings/study objects, reporting actuall findings and deducting results]. I would also like to add my post isn't any personal attack on Savoy, but just wish to keep IRRK reports acurate[on general, nothing flaved with this one] and trully neutral [report can still be acurate, even if all side propaganda, intentional or not, is left out].))
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

OOC

Remember it's the, "Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka." Not the Neutral Reporters, not the ICC, Independent Reporters. While I would say IRRK is more down-the-middle often, it's certainly not mandatory.

It can also have those writing for it that are Omni or Clan, and not apart of the official OTPC or FJRK publications which are strictly controlled by their respected sides on who writes for them and such.

Hence, "Freelance Reporters" can write for the IRRK as Independent reporters outside the controls and rules of their particular faction-controlled news agencies.

You should, I hope, see more of it in the future.
    Last edited by CJ; Nov 20th, 2004 at 23:59:36.
    ~ CJ ~
    Formerly known as Timelapse

Certified AO Forum Freak!

~ Check out our old comics here! ~

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Crime
    Now, given that, let's take a look at our roster at the Isaac Asimov Science Symposium, shall we? Oh, I wonder if, from those who were interviewed by the "FREELANCE" reporter Savoy, we might derive a theme? Oh, gee...hmmmmm. The evidence is right there in front of me. I'm sure I could spot the pattern if I tried. Eureka! They are all OMNI. Freelance, my pasty white nanomage ass. Finest minds? Wow.
    Good thing you were not there.

Having said this, let's get on with the statements of this august scientific body and see what we can see, shall we? I do so enjoy this.
    It was not for your enjoyment. It was for scientific purposes.

This is an interesting postulate. Machines have already been proven to exhibit some form of sentience, or at least the appearance of it, due to their amazing level of programmed artificial intelligence. However, what I read into this is that their "clan-like" behaviour is a defect according to Virta. No, I would have to disagree. If the meaning in this statement is that the robots are being made into Clan-like organizations due to the contamination of their structures and brain matrices, then you need to go back to Psych class. The organization of robots into a structure that appears more like the Clan model as opposed to the Omni model is only natural, given that they are subservient beings with a sentience level that allows them to understand what servitude is all about. The individual wanting to be free of the shackles of whatever shackles it should be nothing new to anyone. Except that the "fine minds" here would have you believe that, by inference, Clan-like behaviour is a psychological abberation. Bollocks.
    Clan \Clan\, n. [Gael. clann offspring, descendants; akin to Ir.
    clann, cland, offspring, tribe, family; perh. from L. plania
    scion, slip, cutting. Cf. Plant, n.]
    1. A tribe or collection of families, united under a
    chieftain, regarded as having the same common ancestor,
    and bearing the same surname; as, the clan of Macdonald.
    ``I have marshaled my clan.'' --Campbell.

2. A clique; a sect, society, or body of persons; esp., a
    body of persons united by some common interest or pursuit;
    -- sometimes used contemptuously.

Partidge and the rest of his clan may hoot me.
    --Smolett.

The whole clan of the enlightened among us. --Burke.

As my hero Thomas Jefferson once said...
    He was not a scientist.
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy
    The fact the only Omni scientist presented their work this year at the symposium was something outside the organisers’ control.
    What Savoy said. The symposium was announced well in advance, to the public as being a non-partisian scientific function. All the speakers and participants have presented their research topics in a factual and unbiased manner. I was dissappionted that there weren't any Clan research presented. Last year there were participants from all sides.

I would be happy to donate 10,000,000 credits to the Council of Truth to help establish a scholarship for Clanners going into a scientific field of study. Hopefully, this will enable Clanners to have something to present at next year's symposium.

Administrator Houston
    Omni-Admin
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Quote Originally Posted by Kithrak
    I would be happy to donate 10,000,000 credits to the Council of Truth to help establish a scholarship for Clanners going into a scientific field of study. Hopefully, this will enable Clanners to have something to present at next year's symposium.
    Armed guards?

Jk
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

OOC:

I am the main editor of the Freelance Reporters at this time (further changes may be had of who's who as this is the beginning of the program) as such I am allowing people to write what they wish to as long as it's within set guidelines. Moreover, no those guide lines do not include anything about Clan and Omni reports being limited. Those invited into the program may write what they wish as long as it is a good article and is not breaking any of the rules of the Freelance Manual. While IRRK are middle of the line, the articles are based on the reporter. Of course, an Omni would see more Omni based events and/or views to write their article on and it is unavoidable. I shall remain unbiased towards articles and only edit grammar, spelling, and make it possible for the article to be posted if it is within the rules of the program.
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka
    Advisor Zerobeta (CR Oracle)
    The last surviving member of the Nerf Gen.
    Yes. We got nerfed

Good thing you were not there.
    Damn right. I would have interrupted the proceedings far too often because my gut laughing would have reached a crescendo that would have drowned out the presenter, and I would hate to do that.

Clan \Clan\, n. [Gael. clann offspring, descendants; akin to Ir.
    clann, cland, offspring, tribe, family; perh. from L. plania
    scion, slip, cutting. Cf. Plant, n.]
    1. A tribe or collection of families, united under a
    chieftain, regarded as having the same common ancestor,
    and bearing the same surname; as, the clan of Macdonald.
    ``I have marshaled my clan.'' --Campbell.

2. A clique; a sect, society, or body of persons; esp., a
    body of persons united by some common interest or pursuit;
    -- sometimes used contemptuously.

Partidge and the rest of his clan may hoot me.
    --Smolett.

The whole clan of the enlightened among us. --Burke.
    I bow to your amazing research ability. Is this supposed to be funny, sarcastic or informative? I find none of the three present, myself. Just a smart ass.

He was not a scientist.

I will calmly walk away, snicker to myself and pretend that you didn't say that. To do anything less would be embarassing for you.
    The few, the proud...the Traders.

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!

Fixerben coughs and stares blankly at Joshua.

Mr. Crime...Odd name...If you feel that this report was biased, feel free to contact me to get your own biased reporting. Ok, Sarcasm off Seriously, this article was just a straight factual report based on an event that happened to not include any Clansmen, due to the fact that no Clan scientists decided to attend. Everyone was given an open invitation, however, none of our Clan brethren saw fit to contribute their finding and intelligence to the Symposium. Personally had I been there my article would have been exactly the same as Savoy's, she didnt report with any bias, it was actually very factual and complete.

((ooc: If you'd like coverage for an event, feel free to contact me, I can create a character on RK2 to come and report on your events.))

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Rubi-Ka Universal Robots
    Public Relations Statement #1738a

Accusations have been made regarding bias in our company's selections for this years Science Symposium. The fact of the matter is, we only recieved submissions from Omni-Tek affiliated scientists. As you can see from our invitation, we clearly stated that any and all scientists from any of the three factions on Rubi-Ka were allowed to submit their entries. If we had seen some interest from the Clan and Neutral community we certainly would have displayed it at our Symposium.

We are a business, not an extension of Omni-Tek's political machine. Gatherings like this are not only for the well-being of the scientific community, they also help scout out potential candidates for research and development poisitions within our company. Censoring out Clan and Neutral affiliated scientists would only have been determinal to the potential of our future product line.

While many of our employees are somehow tied to Omni-Tek, we have major business partners in all three of factions on Rubi-Ka.

We look forward to hosting next year's Third Annual Issac Asimov Science Symposium.

- Caladyn Waterford
    Public Relations Representitive

I bow to your amazing research ability. Is this supposed to be funny, sarcastic or informative? I find none of the three present, myself. Just a smart ass.
    You did get my point though. I was clearly being a smart ass!
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

Perhaps coming into contact with the alien contamination has given a new property to the robot's AI, allowing them to THINK. And in doing so, have opted to adopt a Clan structure. How wonderful.
    [The Insidious Doctor Fu Manchu:]
    There must be order in all things. You "oppress" robots on a daily basis. You don't think so? Perhaps you haven't paid very much attention to those "nanobots" running around in your system. I suppose you'd be happy if all of those nanobots gained true sentience and voted to better improve their life by not dying in your service every few minutes.
    [/The Insidious Doctor Fu Manchu]
    Rimor server ftw! I left AO years ago and recently came back.
    Nobody dies on the Insidious Doctor Fu Manchu's team, nobody!
    I, the Doctor, decide who lives and dies, not some mob."
    Dispensing quality information for years now:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciggie View Post
    man thanks for the info ure my new idol.