Thread: Problem with Fixer Quest - Baboons

Unhappy Problem with Fixer Quest - Baboons

I first posted my problem at the Fixer prof board (others have also posted)
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=35144
    but someone suggested posting it here as it is a techincal problem.

------------

My Fixer cannot complete the quest because the cursor/accept button action is unresponsive and hence trade cannot be done in that place - Baboons just sends my game into a tailspin. I don't have that problem in other bars like Rompa, The Cup, Reet Retreat, Dancing Atrox Bar, etc... only Baboons.

Remember how bad Baboons was during Beta? When a lot of people couldn't even make past the front door and they would just float up? Although something has been to alleviate the situation since then, that place remains a nightmare for many players.

And I have met other Fixers who are stuck at the same step of the quest - Dancing Fool and Baboons. The common thing - we don't have high-end systems. I can't believe something like this slipped testing stage

Please have a heart and move that Dancing Fool somewhere else. Rompa or the Dancing Atrox Bar or somewhere, anywhere but Baboons.

Afterthought ...
    I don't know how long it might take to look into Baboons but please consider re-locating the Dancing Fool for the time being?
    Also, in that thread at the Fixer prof board, others have reported problems even though they have higher systems than mine. In my case, I'm one of those that have problems moving about freely in Baboons. I have to switch to walk mode while I am in Baboons. It also takes me a long time to go up those stairs, far too long that it will never meet the quest timer - I had to ask an engineer friend to warp my fixer up to the balcony. The trading part however is the huge problem.
    Last edited by Inocybe; Jul 2nd, 2002 at 16:51:20.
    Ino
    rolling leet, crouching tiger, hidden dragon

Pioneer rifle/crossbow Vanguard with a personal sidearm and a campstove
    Atlantean

AO Adventurer Professional (2003-2004)

Map design suggestion for mapmakers

it's not a technical problem.
    GM-Zixxax

Funcom Customer Service
    http://www.anarchy-online.com
    http://www.funcom.com

It'll sound strange, but I think it's the trees

Seriously. My machine starts taking heavy hits to its frame rates whenever I'm in areas with a lot of tree. Lush Resorts, MMD Forest, ect. Personally, I recommend a good defoliant for Baboons
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Originally posted by GM-Zixxax
    it's not a technical problem.
    What an incredibly helpful response.
    -=STRATAH=-

TFC coup co-conspirator
    Member of The Mocker's Naked, Co-ed, Full contact, Drunken, Synchronized Blitzing Team

-=The Mockers=-

Originally posted by Stratah

What an incredibly helpful response.
    Spunds like he's trying to say that there's something with the quest you haven't done (right) yet. I think the reason for the cryptic answer, is to avoid giving away the spoiler-sollution.
    Or something.

Well actually I didn't post here at Game Bugs, the tech GM moved this post from Other Techinical Issues board. Although it's rather curt sounding, it's his way of explaining why he moved it from that board methinks.

Well that said and all ... problem still not solved or addressed
    Ino

Atlantean

Originally posted by Mmore

Spunds like he's trying to say that there's something with the quest you haven't done (right) yet. I think the reason for the cryptic answer, is to avoid giving away the spoiler-sollution.
    Or something.
    My bet is that she's following the guide on our website www.mockers.net so it's not likely she's missed a step.

The problem is that the lag in Baboons is so horrible that it makes it difficult to get up the spiral staircase to the balcony where the Dancing Fool is. Once you get up there, you have mouse lag, etc and it can be difficult to get through the trade process with the npc.
    -=STRATAH=-

TFC coup co-conspirator
    Member of The Mocker's Naked, Co-ed, Full contact, Drunken, Synchronized Blitzing Team

-=The Mockers=-

Originally posted by Stratah

My bet is that she's following the guide on our website www.mockers.net so it's not likely she's missed a step.

The problem is that the lag in Baboons is so horrible that it makes it difficult to get up the spiral staircase to the balcony where the Dancing Fool is. Once you get up there, you have mouse lag, etc and it can be difficult to get through the trade process with the npc.
    I'm serious...it's the trees!
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

Maybe just turning down your graphics settings will help. I do this when blitzing missions. It helps on my 600Mhz PIII.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Yes of course we have tried but for some of us, it won't still wont work

And if it's not a trade problem, it's the stairs problem - what ever it is, Baboons is causing problems for some of us. Hence the suggestion/plea to move that quest NPC.

Once again, to re-iterate, this was moved from Tech board to Game Bugs. The original thread was started at Fixer prof board:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=35144
    Ino

Atlantean

Same problem here.

I drop to about 2 fps in Baboon's, and after navigating the spiral staircase (not easy... walking helped) I was unable to accept the trade.

As to it not being a technical problem, I believe it is. When the fps drops, left click becomes inopperable. I was also unable to open any of my status windows (i.e. the mission window, team window, etc. ) by left clicking on the buttons atop the play window. I could not close any information windows by clicking their close button. I could not decline the trade with the dancing fool by left clicking decline either.

These same problems crop up in the static mission in Longest Road. The big rooms cause them, and it gets even worse when someone opens a door up between the big room I'm in and another big room. When I go to the little bathrooms in the back of Baboon's, the problems cease. Now, if only the Fool would do his dancing in the bathrooms...

My system is a 466 Mhz, 512 Mb Ram, 32 Mb Geforce 2. It's above minimum reqs. However, this quest is uncompleteable in it's current format. I minimized every graphics setting under options, and tried running it in 640x480 even. No luck.
    Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

I managed to do the quest. I don't get any lag in baboons but that spiral starcase is hard to ascend at certain turns. I found stepping back then going forward got me up it. Perhaps FC could extend or remove the timer on that part, or move the grrovy atrox to the 'green room' behind the DJ?

~M