Thread: The old Nanos

The old Nanos

Many of you have asked if we are going to change the existing line of nanos to the same formula as the new ones. After speaking with
    Blackmane today, the answer is "NO"; we will not be changing the already exsitsing line of nanos.

When the skill "inflation" of the Shadowlands expansion comes into effect, will this not be unbalancing?

We will be using nanoformulas such as Demons and Full Heals at "trivial" levels. Other formulas, such as befriend leet, are level locked to avoid such balancing problems.

i would expect this promise to have the same weight as the original promise to keep this game a skillbased game, to stop throwing in surprises in the new patches, to not make expansions.. Well you get the drift.

Throwing in all these levels for all the new nanos is a bad idea, it ruins the whole idea of having skills in the first place. Just face that already, and remove those lvl-limits.

It would be interesting to know what the reasoning behind "NO" is - what is so potentially imbalancing about the 103 nfs introduced in 14.4 that does not apply in nfs in existence before this patch?

Then why in the world add in nano's with the skill costs of the current game and put on artificial restraints.
    I've got a nice post going in game mechanics showing when someone can use those nano's like the game is now. And only 2, yes that is right, only 2 nano's have a level limit that is realistic, every other nano should have it's level lock reduced by at least 1 step.
    The only thing you are doing now is telling proffesion yes we fixed you but you can't use the nano's we made to fix you until they are useless since proffesion X can use nano Y that is Z levels higher for a better effect.

And if these nano's are locked to prevent trival use then the question is what is so unbalancing about having pisol skill increased by 65 (fangs of the snake, ql 90,lock 75) compared to doing infuses at that level or superior first aid. The last two are IMO way more unbalancing then being able to equip a pistol a few levels higher & do 12.5% more damage then base which is needed to make pistols competive with shotguns
    Last edited by Aristaeus; Jul 1st, 2002 at 13:46:32.

Half a job, I think.

There were only 2 lines of Nanos that could have been considered broken / abusable before 14.4: Mochams and Wrangles. THEY STILL ARE and will not be restrained in any way. The biggest, baddest buffs in the game are STILL unrestricted while the Leet Friend and Fixer SMG buff nanos are locked down.

No, you adventurers may not have your +120 multiranged / multimelee until you hit level 195, but have a couple of +140s and a +132 to your nano skills at fairly low levels to make up for it!

Once again Funcom proves that the MP is the only class any of them expect to see being played by the time the 4 years are up. (I have some MP friends, so I'm not calling for any nerfs, just remove the level reqs on all nanos).

We all know what the level reqs on a 132 Wrangle and a 140 Mocham would need to be to keep them in in line with the SELF-ONLY 120 multiX buff: Level 195! Funcom are too scared of the MP playerbase (and everyone else that receives these buffs - me included) to implement what SHOULD be the level requirement on this line.

Limits for all, or limits for none. Make a decision.

p.s.
    Q. Why do the devs/designers always get someone else to make their announcements for them?
    A. Because they don't have an AO account themselves!
    Last edited by SBExp; Jul 1st, 2002 at 13:57:07.

Re: The old Nanos

Originally posted by Dai-Galean
    "NO"; we will not be changing the already exsitsing line of nanos.
    Kind of completly contradicts

Originally posted by Cosmik
    From Andrew Griffin, nano designer:-
    Adding level requirements on nanos means that new nanos that are made before the expansion pack is released will still become available at the ‘correct’ level, rather than all the level 200 nanos being useable at level 100.

Adding level requirements now means that, even though we know what the skill budget will be expanded to with the expansion pack, we do not have to start implementing the full skill requirements on new nanos right now. Without level requirements, we would need to either make the effects of the nanos trivial - essentially turning level 200 nanos into level 100 nanos - or use the new skill budget to determine the skill requirements.
    Which basically admits that the game would become unbalanced if you let all the level 100 players cast QL200 nanos.
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

I believe that they are not going to review every nano now in existence, or at least don't plan to do so.

I do not understand why, and "NO" does not provide sufficient explanation.

I do not have a handle on why, in essence, two professions should be further punished for having been put on hold a bazillion times in the last year for their repair patches. After waiting, they are now the only professions hampered with these restrictions.

I still am not comprehending why any change is being implemented now for some product that we may or may not purchase at some future date. It would have been my hope that that product would be tested on its own, even regression tested, but it seems reasonably clear that the intent is that a great deal of the impact analysis will be predicated on results from Live.

But, yeah, I believe that they do not have any plans to review anything they've ever done in the past, including this.

</lurk>

Ok... Just a quick question...

Why is there now level restrictions on nanos, but, not on weapons or armor...

Why nerf the nano users, when you can nerf the whole game just by making it all level specific...

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but, I personally like the fact that everything is based on skill... I like the fact that, if you buy the right implants, have the right buffs and use your IP right, you can use programs and weapons that are above what you would be using normally on that level.... With level requirements, it kinda takes away from that... What's the use of spending credits on implants and buffs if you aren't the correct level to use the program you are doing this for...

Basically.. I am saying that I don't agree with level restrictions at all....

If you want all of your stuff done at a certian level, there are other MMORPG's out there that do that, and you will notice that most characters on those games are cookie cutter copies of each other.... Here, there is a lot of customization through Implants and IP.. please keep it like that, FC...

Just my 2 cents...

I'll go back to the shadows now...

<lurk>

Many of you have asked if we are going to change the existing line of nanos to the same formula as the new ones. After speaking with
    Blackmane today, the answer is "NO"; we will not be changing the already exsitsing line of nanos.
    So basically, the broken professions are not only screwed now with artificially high level requirements, but also in Shadowlands as they won't be able to cast their profession balancing nanos at "trivial" levels.

And of course, in the name of balance, those professions who were lucky enough to be fairly good from the start, or who received their fixes before the level requirement absurdity will be able to cast their nanos at "trivial" levels in Shadowlands.

Ask Blackmane how that makes a damned bit of sense.

My tone is a direct reflection of your attitude.

220 Wiseguy - Bureaucrat
    ... and a bevy of underequipped 220's

Account Created 16 July 2001

I am sporadically optimistic, even about Funcom.

We must be missing something here. If the skill budget is expanded as much in Shadowlands as hinted at, then why will my Enforcer be able to cast Brutal Thug at trivial levels, while my Fixer won't be able to cast Major Suppressor at an equally trivial level?

I know fixers have a hard time with nano skills, but so do enforcers. And my enforcer was able to cast Brutal Thug LONG before 75 buffed. (And at 81 self buffed with no implants to help SI.)

If the skill budget is increased as dramatically as is hinted at my enforcer might be able to cast Brutal Thug at 35, while my fixer has to wait to 75?

Either I am missing something or Funcom vacated the premises but left the lights on to fool us into thinking their still in business.
    Add a "/team loot chests alpha" option!

Well, now we know. We dont know how this can possibly make any sense, but we know what they intend at least...
    Regimental Beastie

Easy math:
    whiners = bad players

Rhetoric is useful because... before some audiences not even the possession of the exactest knowledge will make it easy to produce conviction. For argument based on knowledge implies instruction, and there are people whom one cannot instruct. Aristotle, 1355a20-27

Originally posted by Lord_Maxwell
    I am sporadically optimistic, even about Funcom.

We must be missing something here. If the skill budget is expanded as much in Shadowlands as hinted at, then why will my Enforcer be able to cast Brutal Thug at trivial levels, while my Fixer won't be able to cast Major Suppressor at an equally trivial level?

No, you're not missing anything. That's what FunCom is saying.

As for the "why" - who knows? They sure don't.

My tone is a direct reflection of your attitude.

220 Wiseguy - Bureaucrat
    ... and a bevy of underequipped 220's

Account Created 16 July 2001

Perhaps Funcom should adopt the attitude of being absolutely sure before opening it's mouth. I'm new here, but I've been around people who've lived this game for the last year.

They nicely pointed out to me that that is much the same answer you gave us about IPR. Which you gave us anways. Now that was beneficial, and I'm not complaining. I just think that on this issue where the reversal of your answer would mean massive negative feedback, you make damn sure you're right about it.

That's all.

Not too late to delete your post if you're not 900% sure.

Question Eh?

Hmm, yes, this does seem somewhat bizzare... Can we have a better explanation of all this then? Why were level restrictions needed on these new nanos when they won't be needed on the old ones? Sense no make...

I think they should, its only fair they screw us with level reqs on our *FIX* nano's that don't even make sense level/skill wise then whats good for the goose is good for the gander..

Maybe then all the naysayers that don't like us complaining about this might stand behind us instead of putting us down for our views...

Re: Re: The old Nanos

Originally posted by Serena

I think they should, its only fair they screw us with level reqs on our *FIX* nano's that don't even make sense level/skill wise then whats good for the goose is good for the gander..

Maybe then all the naysayers that don't like us complaining about this might stand behind us instead of putting us down for our views...
    I think I'm beginning to finally understand FC's logic. You see, *FIX* nanos do just that. However the problem is that most people don't understand the meaning of the word "fix." Most think it means that it will make their profession no longer broken. However, it actually has the same meaning as you would use for a dog or cat. When you fix your pet, you get it spayed or neutered.

To get ot the point, when Funcom fixes professions, they are chopping its balls off.

Boy, if I didn't have a reason to quit before, I sure do now.

And I know it didn't work in that other thread, but:

The level requirements only on new nanos and not existing ones is a bad idea, it makes the game less fun, please change it back. It worked better that way.
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

Exclamation Update!

I put an update and some info in a new thread. Closing this thread to have the issue covered in one place in this forum. Please keep it calm in there.

Community answers - level requirements on nano programs