Thread: *Rant warning* a little respect wouldn't hurt

*Rant warning* a little respect wouldn't hurt

Ok, rant on

I run a fairly succesful AO help website for those who don't know me, and today I found a couple of things that, I must admit, have got me a little riled.

While scanning boards and other sites for tid-bits of info about the new patch, I stumbled across a few guild and other sites that had copied and pastes large sections (in one case complete guides) of my site into theirs.

*I'm not going to say who as I'm not into name calling, sufice they know who they are!*

Now I have no problem with this as long as the site is credited, and preferably with a link.

One of the culprits in particular disappointed me, a major, well known clan, and they had even copied the screenies I took for the guide in question as well. To top it all off it had been signed as produced by a member of that guild.

Now maybe I'm being a little precious, but I spend a lot of time, reseacrhing, taking screenies and publishing the site, keeping it bang up to date, with twice weekly updates.

The lack of respect this shows (at least in my eyes) has really wound me up today.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but is a link too much to ask????

Silirrion
    Webmaster
    Anarchy Zone
    http://oldwatchtower.homestead.com/anarchyzone.html

I agree with you

If they're taking it word for word and even your pictures that's pretty lame.
    Credit where it's due, that's what I say. Probably get'n a pat on his back from all his members for the hard work you did.

Taking someones work and not crediting the creator is pretty bad.
    Perhaps you should email them and point out that it is not only rude but wrong and, if its copyrighted, unlawful.

I would but . . .

they neglected to put an email addy on their site, and having tried to get hold of them in game for over an hour, seems like they don't want to talk for some reason.

If you want to be nasty to them tell their ISP that they are violating copyright. Normally gets the ISP to ask them to remove it or else.
    You do need proof that it is your stuff and not that you copied theirs also some warning on the site would help

Just a little off the subject here..

But I must say Sirllion, that you have a most impressive site.

Very informative and freindly user.. keep up the excellent site.

Rosey

Thanks Rosey

The issue got resolved once I was able to speak in game with some of the guild officers. They actually removed the guide, which wasn't neccesary, but that was their call, all I asked for was for a link or a mention.

Just a note:

For screenshots, devise a logo for your site that includes the email addy (maybe in small letters). Then plop it in the corner of future screenshots to identify them as yours. Not too far in the corner that they can chopped off, but significant enough in that it would take an effort to edit it out. A little photoshop goes along way.
    -Cheddar-

Some free advice
    Don't beg. It makes you look like a beggar.