Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Happy Birthday Anarchy Online

Re: Happy Birthday, Anarchy Online

Originally posted by Nepentheia
    Greetings!

Well, I remember when Anarchy Online was born. I was stumbling along in my early level 20s with my first character in Everquest. Through much trial and error, and many hours playing Everquest, then Dark Age of Camelot, I finally "discovered" Anarchy Online at the beginning of this year.

A very happy birthday to you, Anarchy Online.

Best wishes.
    Almost mirrors my experiences, except the EQ was the 50 grind and before that was AO. I have to agree with the sentiment. AO rocks compared to any other onliner I have tried, and I am max leveled in nearly all of them. This one keeps me interested enough that I am not trying to level in it. Having too much fun.
    Chaingu
    Clan Explorer
    Rubi-ka Geographical Society
    "Because it's there!"

Originally posted by Ebonezer Good
    Chaingu, my sincere apologys, the "retarded" comment was aimed at wiretrip not yourself. I was very tired at time of posting. I actually thought you made very valid points mate.

Wiretrip on the other hand was wasting bandwidth.
    Its amazing to me how passionate some of us get about what is after all "just a game".
    No worries, mate. It was nice meeting you in-game yesterday, too. Look forward to seeing you around Rubi-ka.
    Chaingu
    Clan Explorer
    "Because it's there!"

Originally posted by Warlock

Now you say this thread was meant to be a celebration - perhaps, but many of us feel that currently FC is 'extracting the urine' with its birthday press release and subsequently this thread with its statements of listening to its players and yes I'm refering to the 'level restrictions on nanos'. Regardless of if you agree with this action or not, you cannot, in good conscience, say that FC's 'tactic' of proceeding with this change, in the face of overwhelming opposition without even explaining _why_ this change was occuring prior to the event was acceptable behavior towards its customers.

People have tried to open a constructive debate/compromise with FC and its obvious they are not interested. The end result is escalating measure by the players to elicit some response, even any response from FC (Fixers and Adventurers have been debating blocking Grid access over this issue). When you ignore people _expect_ them to take stronger measures to make themselves heard - this is what is now occuring and unfortunately it's FC's fault for ignoring the players.
    I'm quite sure that I'm being objective. AO is a fantastic game, and Funcom has been working like CRAZY on it. They are not responding directly to players, especially on this forum, for VERY good reason. Their replies are in the form of patches, additions, and changes to the game.

First, your little level limit complaint. It's lunacy. It's practically unbelievable that someone would even complain about it. "Oh no, I can't twink!" Gimme a break. The game is no less playable than it was. So you have to change your strategy now. Cry me a river.

Secondly, they did explain it. Use your back button and check out the post by Cosmik. Yeah, that's the one, where he...you know...explains it. And rather well, I might add, I think the restriction was a good move for balance purposes.

Thirdly, about FC interaction? What would you have them do? Let's list them.

A) Have someone from FC do more than just initial posts on the BBS here, and actually reply to the constant flames from the players. FC is now paying someone to nothing more than eat crap til days end. This person is now walking in hell and not helping a SINGLE player in the process, because he or she is spending 100% work time on the discussion forums beating back responses like "That was stupid because" and "AO sucks because" and "Why don't you reply to all 5 thousand of us?! Are those people more special than me?! REPLY TO ME!!"

If you honestly think that there's any conceivable way for FC to pay the amount of people that it would take to respond to this entire bbs, and do so ONLY so those people could be no help whatsoever because they're spending all their time explaining and re-explaining the reasoning behind the patches to thousands of twinkers who think the game should revolve around them, then you're out of your mind.

B) Email support? See point A.

C) Call-in phone support? LOL. I don't think I need to address this one. See point A and extrapolate similarities.

So people have tried to open a constructive debate/compromise? That's great for them. FC is too busy working on the game to have one of their staff log on just to play games of truce with the few dissatisfied folks who actually think that FC isn't listening to them. You know as well as I that the _second_ an FC staff member replies to a debate-style string, all hell will break loose for weeks.

They're working on the game, and they're improving the game. And if you ask me, they're doing a fantastic job, especially with that last patch. Sure, there are still issues. Find me an MMORPG that has less problems and less complainers on their BBS because of it. I can garauntee your failure right now.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

I fear this one will get lost in the flames but.... happy birthday AO!

Originally posted by Tarryk

I'm quite sure that I'm being objective. AO is a fantastic game, and Funcom has been working like CRAZY on it. They are not responding directly to players, especially on this forum, for VERY good reason. Their replies are in the form of patches, additions, and changes to the game.

First, your little level limit complaint. It's lunacy. It's practically unbelievable that someone would even complain about it. "Oh no, I can't twink!" Gimme a break. The game is no less playable than it was. So you have to change your strategy now. Cry me a river.

Secondly, they did explain it. Use your back button and check out the post by Cosmik. Yeah, that's the one, where he...you know...explains it. And rather well, I might add, I think the restriction was a good move for balance purposes.

A) Have someone from FC do more than just initial posts on the BBS here, and actually reply to the constant flames from the players. FC is now paying someone to nothing more than eat crap til days end. This person is now walking in hell and not helping a SINGLE player in the process, because he or she is spending 100% work time on the discussion forums beating back responses like "That was stupid because" and "AO sucks because" and "Why don't you reply to all 5 thousand of us?! Are those people more special than me?! REPLY TO ME!!"

If you honestly think that there's any conceivable way for FC to pay the amount of people that it would take to respond to this entire bbs, and do so ONLY so those people could be no help whatsoever because they're spending all their time explaining and re-explaining the reasoning behind the patches to thousands of twinkers who think the game should revolve around them, then you're out of your mind.

C) Call-in phone support? LOL. I don't think I need to address this one. See point A and extrapolate similarities.

So people have tried to open a constructive debate/compromise? That's great for them. FC is too busy working on the game to have one of their staff log on just to play games of truce with the few dissatisfied folks who actually think that FC isn't listening to them. You know as well as I that the _second_ an FC staff member replies to a debate-style string, all hell will break loose for weeks.

They're working on the game, and they're improving the game. And if you ask me, they're doing a fantastic job, especially with that last patch. Sure, there are still issues. Find me an MMORPG that has less problems and less complainers on their BBS because of it. I can garauntee your failure right now.
    Tarryk, that was one of the most lucid, well written posts I have seen here in months. To bad your wrong.

Oh, I agree with almost everything you said, except I don't think Cos and Cz even have to time to scan half the posts anymore. Five-thousand rants are just too hard to sift through. I am sure they scan all the new threads first message, then flag ones to keep an eye one, and they probably read through all the stickies, but who can blame them for not reading all the follow-up flames to almost any post.
    Chaingu
    Clan Explorer
    "Because it's there!"

Originally posted by Tarryk

Ok, I'm going to reply to this, but I'm not sure if this is such a good idea. You've jumped to a few conclusions and made a few accusations but since this is really about why people appear to be 'overreacting' I cant criticise you for 'overreacting' in FC's defence.

whats the point of most of this forum if FC dont intend to use it to reply to players? May as well get rid of everything here except the profession and RP boards and make the patch board 'read-only'

Ok on to the level limit. In itself its _not_ a big problem (after all there are a couple of level-locked items in the game already). But remember in most cases these nanos were the 'class balancing nanos' for the professions to bring them into line with everyone else. This in itself is unfair to those classes who were supposed to be getting 'love' since they are still disadvantaged when compared to these 'other' professions.

Add in the explanation that this change is a pro-active OE measure for when Shadowlands hits and it doesnt take a huge leap of logic to rationalise putting level restrictions all all the existing nanos (to make it 'fair') and all the equipment (to further prevent OEing) - this is of course notwithstanding that there is no need for this until Shadownloands actually arrives and there should be a better way to achieve this when it does.

Yes the did explain it......finally. However the explanation was flawed (see my posts on this in that forum) and in light of the _huge_ netative response it got (go ask the Fixer and Adventurer professionals) it was PR suicide for FC to wait until after the patch to release this. Given that FC have just created the Professionals its a joke that the screwed up the first opportunity to prove this new initiative was a step forward for player-FC communication. Additionally FC _didnt_ announce the patch was going live in the usual way (no mention on the launcher of the Next Patch board) but I'll conceed they did put it in the community board (where no one would look for it) its obvious that it was all done to force the patch through as quickly as possible a hope no one would notice until it was all over.

I agree that answering every post/flame is stupid and probably impossible. BUT there has been so much noise about this one issue (and the subsequent handling of it) that FC MUST have noticed. Since they created a new thread for the explanation (and didnt lock it) they are _inviting_ comment (perhaps unintentionally or reluctantly). It wouldnt take much to get the _fell_ for the players thoughts (while there are a lot of 'loose cannons' nearly all of the negative posts relate to the same core issues as above. Since Cos and Cz havent been that active on the board of late, one must ask what they actually do for a living if not to interact with the community.

Now I do computer technical support for a living. I will tell you for free that those that dont provide adequate, rapid technical support (by whatever means) dont stay in business very long. FC have a slight advantage here since they have little competition (at the moment) to lose people to, but this wont last forever. If FC _cannot_ maintain adequate staffing levels to service the client levels they either need to hire more staff (unlikely given the recent downsizing) or accept they will lose players (and the cynic in me suspect this PR nightmare may have been manufactured for that reason)

FC established the channels now they _have to_ support them, or downsize those channels in line with the staff.

Few dissatisfied folks?????? Seriously dude, go read the threads again and look at the polls. This is a _big_ issue. Yes you can argue that those who agree need say nothing, or that the majority of players dont visit the boards. Fine, but these people wouldnt be any different if the level restrictions were removed. We're not asking for a new change to be made, we're asking for the new nanos to maintain the same 'structure' as the old and for the game to remain skill based, not level based.

I dont want to find another MMORPG. I want to play this one, I like(d) this one, so I will do my hardest to make FC realise that what they are doing is ruining the things that make AO great and different and is a big mistake.

This is also done for everyone else who has yet to be effected by this, so it hopefully _doesnt_ happen to them.
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

whine whine whine, AO is going to fail cause im leaving!!!!

ROFL yeah right.

Happy Birthday AO.

To Community Team, Thanks for the hard work that never seems to end (know the feeling) and for putting up with all the things you put up with.

To the Dev team, Thanks for creating an eviroment rich and full of life.(yes, even in life you have those who complain about living)

To the Event Team, Thanks for what you have done so far, and What I hope will be even better.

To all who work for FunCom on the AO project. Congrats, and good job.

To FunCom...got nothing to say to ya, your corporate, no one needs to pat you on the back. (Sorry to those who are loyal to this company. I just don't like big corporate management.)

To all the people who play, Hope I meet those who don't take this game all too serious some day. Hope I don't meet those who do.

I dont know whats sadder, that FC or the facrt that ive been playing this slop for a year...

Originally posted by reality
    I fear this one will get lost in the flames but.... happy birthday AO!
    heheh.. same here.

Happy Birthday!

Hmm.. when was the birthday ?

Don't know if I responded to this thread yet... But happy birthday AO!!

So, is there going to be an ingame reward for people who had accounts for 1 year?
    Spongebobby 215 Crat : Rimor
    Magnatta 177 MA : Rimor

"Feeling lonely and content at the same time,
    I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" -Nightwish

Oh please quit the complaining. First of all, Funcom knows the problems and im sure they are doing everything in their power to fix it. Why dont you try running a game of this size? Its huge and it takes alot of time and effort, not to mention money. Happy Birthday Anarchy Online, I hope to see you around for many years to come.
    Reynaldo "Monilith" Griffel
    Omni-Tek
    RK1

Smile Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday!

I want to congratulate the AO team at Funcom for giving us this great game, which I love. One year has passed, and I hope there will be many years to come! You are doing a great job, and I am thankful for your effort. As a player I only hope I can contribute something good to the complex and wonderful world of Rubi-Ka.

-Lillemjau-

I never got the joke until i re-read this thread, but all the flames and insults are almost too funny. I didn't even know the community could put something like that together so quickly and make it look as though everyone was at each others throats in an otherwise 'cheerfull' thread, but the 'flames' are great.

Yes, I am joking, BE HAPPY FOR SOME REASON! C'mon, this was the B-day of this game and it started out as a celebration/joke, then became a flame war where random people were yelled at.

(as other people have claimed, AO has run through one of the toughest crowds a company could ever see. I am just teasing the community for demolishing this thread).

This is a reply to the "Static Dungeons" thread that was closed. (Don't you just hate when moderators get the last word and then close the thread?).

Cosmik wrote:

Result: The spawns will stay as they are now.
    So basically, everyone thinks the spawns are too infrequent.

Everyone thinks having vital gear on rare mobs is a bad idea.

Everyone hates camping.

Funcom promised there would be no camping.

And the result is to leave everything the same?

In a word, that: sucks.

In 2 words, that's: false advertising.

In 3 words, that's: a steaming pile

And lastly, in 4 words, that's: piss poor customer service.
    Primordiax RPG - Our World, Your Imagination
    http://www.primordiax.com

Muckbeast - MMO Game Developer Blog
    http://www.muckbeast.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123