Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Level requirements on new nano programs

Do not put any level restrictions on any nanoformulae.

If you can meet the skill requirements you can run the program - This is the fundamental paradigm of AO's skill system. This is what makes AO unique!

The changes to overequipping rules introduced with 14.2 enhanced the skill system - you actually have to maintain a skill level to retain optimal use of your equipment.

Adding a hard level cap to the mix removes a large portion of what makes this game both unique and fun - the ability to customize your character & plan your IP usage, implants and equipment to be able to run nanos a little earlier than the average template for your profession. A large proportion of the playerbase derive satisfaction from this.

If in your (funcom's) estimation a nanoformula is unbalancing to be used before a certain level, then you need to rework the nanoformula - increase the skill requirements or reduce the effect, not introduce some bogus hard cap on when it can be used. If a nanoformula is too powerful to be run on a lower level character, then you need to add a skill requirement for the recipient (much like the bureaucrat charm series checks the target's psychic)

As a Meta-physicist my primary role in a group is to temporarily enhance the nanoskills of the team & allow them to use higher quality nanoformulae, thus increasing the team's effectiveness while my nanos are running on them. Adding a level requirement to a nanoformula totally and utterly negates this ability & impacts severely on the usefulness of an MP in a team.

You've said:
    When these new nano programs were created, a level was picked to determine when the nano program should be used. Skills are then chosen, based on that level, and not assuming you have maxed implants, maximum items and maximum external buffs. A percentage of this was chosen, and the skill requirements are the result.
    By that logic there is no need for a hard level requirement on any nanoformula.

If you're intent on introducing a paradigm shift of this magnitude, then you're destroying what makes AO the game it is. A wise man does not level the playing field by bulldozing his own house.
    Last edited by Tenzian; Jun 27th, 2002 at 04:56:34.
    Joshua "Tenzian" Danczak

Oh yeah, lets screw Engies, and NTs w00h00!

When i was told about the OE patch i said: "WTF??? NO SLAYER FOR ME AT LVL 108??????", then i said:"Well, better have Slayer at lvl 135 (Atrox Eng), than not having it at all", now i say:"DAMNIT when is Star Wars Galaxies coming out???". THIS IS RIDICULOUS. It means that i wont have Slayer till lvl ... 185??, pure BS, FC is screwing it more and more each day, and i really was hoping Shadowlands to be a major fix in the game,,, pffft, Engies and NT´s are SCREWED, and do not tell me we are whinners and that we think we are the only affected, coz we are not, but we are the MOST affected here!!, i will have to stick to a stupid pile of metal that scratches who hits it a bit, damn, this is gettin bad, FC do something!!! ur going Bankrupt and im no joking here!!!!!!!!

LVL REQUIREMENTS = NTs and ENGs, extinct Proffesions!!!!!
    Protektor- Engydoggy- Spydoggy- RealMadrid - Some others.
    Rolling around RK since Dec 2001.
    ¡Se habla español!

There's a player poll by Intra:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=31992

I urge everyone who's expressed an opinion to vote on it.

If Funcom can't listen to reasoned arguement, maybe they'll listen to math.
    Joshua "Tenzian" Danczak

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When these new nano programs were created, a level was picked to determine when the nano program should be used. Skills are then chosen, based on that level, and not assuming you have maxed implants, maximum items and maximum external buffs. A percentage of this was chosen, and the skill requirements are the result.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By that logic there is no need for a hard level requirement on any nanoformula.

This is exactly what I dont understand about the idea of putting a lvl req on something. Only 2 things I can think of to explain it.

1. In shadowlands they are going to raise the lvl max to 250 or something and allow you to 'specialize' in nano skills to raise them much higher much sooner than now.

2. They have calculators that just dont seem to grasp the basic functions of math and they dont understand the role of some classes like MPs.

Either way I think they are going about it the wrong way

I'll add a little P.S. to Engydoggy's post

"when level reqs are added to all other nanos."

Whether it's just scaremongering amongst the playerbase, or something that is coming, a lot of people will believe that the level reqs will eventually be put on all nanos.

I'm curious as to why these changes are "being made in preparation for the Shadowlands expansion pack." What's in Shadowlands that requires level reqs on nanos? WHY are level reqs on nanos required to prepare for Shadowlands?

It says to me that Shadowlands will provide a major shift in the game's focus, away from the current "your (buffed) skill is everything" system.

But seriously, I have my doubts on Funcom, and AO, surviving long enough for Shadowlands to be released. If Funcom needed to reorganise/restructure, of the magnitude of their announcement, then they're in trouble with the number of players/subscriptions they have now. If they do something like this, that will cause them to lose subscribers and, hence, lose revenue, then they're simply just going to go even further down the tube, even faster.

edit: Bloodreign, if they have hard-coded level reqs on nanos, like they're briniging in in 14.4, then whether or not you specialize in nano skills won't matter, you still won't be able to cast the nano until that level. That won't change with Shadowlands, unless they build a mechanism in there, either by object or specialization, for you to either a) lower level reqs on nanos for yourself, or b) to remove nano reqs entirely, again, for yourself.
    Last edited by Shatai; Jun 27th, 2002 at 05:04:11.

I applaud Funcoms stance on this and hope they keep to it, the people that matter are in the game enjoying it, I still don't see the problem with it, they aren't damaging any of the old nano's and its a great way of leveling the playing field

I still don't see the problem with it, they aren't damaging any of the old nano's and its a great way of leveling the playing field

I think you mean they havent changed the old nanos yet.........Because if they say they have to do this too all new nanos, I think its safe to figure sometime before the expansion comes out it will happen to all the nanos

This in no way takes anything away from the game other than improving the lag for me , instead of letting the uber buffers etc and uber implanters always have the edge this will mean that following FC design people will get these nano's when the game can sustain it, when you were suposed to get that powerful, it will help rebalance the game.

Originally posted by Bloodreign

I think you mean they havent changed the old nanos yet.........Because if they say they have to do this too all new nanos, I think its safe to figure sometime before the expansion comes out it will happen to all the nanos
    That would be commercial suicide it won't happen only the paranoia crowd thing that

we need lvl req's like we need pistols being nerfed for being too powerful =P

Uhhhhhhhhh, if theyre not going to put lvl requirements on the old nanos, this will be the single most unbalancing thing i have ever seen in my life
    Last edited by Wal; Jun 27th, 2002 at 05:36:03.
    // wildwal - the sexiest adv evar - now with nr!
    // legion

NO

Level restriction on nanos is LAME. A total COP OUT solution to your game balancing problem. Up the requirements on nanos if you truly feel we are all uber powerful and getting them too soon. Never EVER put level restrictions on them. All level restrictions do is please players who are too stupid to have figured out how to put a set of implants together and cry because they find themselves unable to solo 50% missions. It makes the other half of the player base who KNOWS how to play this game want to cancel for completely destroying the skill based system that made this game great.

NONONONONO to level restrictions. Up the requirements if you must, DO NOT put level restrictions.

I seriously have to wonder who these people are who come up with these changes and whether or not they have ever bothered to play this game.

A suggestion for Cosmik and Funcom

You put up a poll in the login screen about the leet dolls.

Could you do the same about level restrictions?

You *need* to get the feedback of your playerbase, here. I'm almost certain that this is the /wrong/ move to be taking. 14.2 was neccesary step in the balancing of AO, but adding level requirements to nanos will *kill* the game.

Please, listen to us, we *want* to continue playing in Rubi-Ka. We don't *want* to have to find another game to continue having fun.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

You have to be blind, or just not know what you're talking about or a fanboy

Originally posted by Chiandria
    I applaud Funcoms stance on this and hope they keep to it, the people that matter are in the game enjoying it, I still don't see the problem with it, they aren't damaging any of the old nano's and its a great way of leveling the playing field
    There are dozens of nano lines in this patch that are meant to help balance many professions and make them useful. Mainly Adventurers and Fixers. And they have to put up with level requirements on all of them that are way too high to qualify for any OE rationale.

The people that matter are all the players, not some imaginary rk#. There are many people upset by this because 1) it ruins what they were looking forward to in the patch; and 2) it sets the tone that the developers don't know how to use/modify/develop for the skill system of this game and just slap diablo-style level requirements on stuff. We wanted a game of sliding degrees that allowed for variation across all professions (in terms of skills), with natural limitations on which profession would be better at certain things than another. Now we're being pushed to a skill-less system that relies solely on your profession and level.

Thumbs down

Not going to write a long attempt at a sophisticated reply to a solution that is anything but. Since this thread is pretty much just a list of signatures of those opposing it, I'll add my own.
    Tashia Munchausen Age, RK-2 Clan Engie, El Presidente of EcoDisaster.
    Munchausen's EE Layout
    Sill the best starter guide for making towers

“Computer games don’t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us…we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music”. Krisitan Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989.

Re: Level requirements on new nano programs

Originally posted by Cosmik
    Anarchy Online is a skill based MMOPRG and will remain a skill based MMORPG by focusing on the skills of each player and their profession. This addition will build upon the existing game mechanics and greatly aid in the balance and improvement of gameplay.
    Hmmn, nice of you to reassure us of your commitment in the same post you claim that in order to balance the game, you need to abandon the skill system, and institute lvl requirements. Cosmik, I challenge you or any other FC employee to explain how both these are true. This is genuinely hilarious, almost Orwellian -- plz, by alll means, explain...

Actually, I suspect you must secretly be on the player's side, since this is such an incindiary and vacant statement it can only be a backhanded way of organizing the player base against lvl. reqs.

I also want to know exactly how this promotes balance unless

1) you retroactively add lvl reqs to existing nanos, so classes are equally effected, instead of just the ones you know need repairs...

or 2) the newly introduced nanos are intended to completely supercede and surplant all existing lines

If nanos like Headcracker, Unexpected attack etc. are unbalanced now, they certainly remain so post 14.4. So, it cannot really be a fix, or help you balance the game.

14.2 fixes were UNIVERSAL changes -- everyone was effected equally (although pet classes got rules applying only to them...)

14.4 fixes dont effect everyone equally. They only affect the classes that require massive fixes in order to be viable. So it cant serve the function you claim for it...

This is point is true even if level reqs. were independently a good idea, which others inthis post and elsewhere have efrfectively argued that they are not...
    Regimental Beastie

Easy math:
    whiners = bad players

Rhetoric is useful because... before some audiences not even the possession of the exactest knowledge will make it easy to produce conviction. For argument based on knowledge implies instruction, and there are people whom one cannot instruct. Aristotle, 1355a20-27

Angry Bad idea

Just adding my voice to the pile.. it's all been said - quite simple I agree - putting these level reqs is a bad thing.

What do you think you stand to GAIN from doing this Funcom when everyone is so opposed to it? Do you really think you'll keep more customers by introducing changes that everyone hates? I just don't get it...
    "I'm going to kill you." "You're going to kill us?" "No, no I'm not, I'm just kidding."

Angry And bugger it, I'll reply on my other account too for added effect

How will people be casting nanos 'too early' if there is no level restriction?

1. Putting implants in for those skills. This means they have sacrificed implants for other nano skills most likely - giving an equal disadvantage in other areas

2. Concentrating IP on these areas in sacrifice of others. Once again - an even balance of losing something for gaining elsewhere.

3. Metaphysicist buffs. These are temporary - only while in their team, or for a short time after, and FOR CRYING OUT LOUD - THIS IS WHAT A METAPHYSICIST IS FOR! Thanks for taking away our usefulness in the game even more by introducing this rubbish idea.
    For instant heal... just add water.

Kikmaidog - 218 Doctor
    Kikfix - 204 Fixer
    Kikfiz - 175 MP
    Kikdabucket - 125 Agent

Reborn Clan

Help to repopulate Rubi-Ka, make donations at your local mission booth.
    "Where are you calling from?" "I'm calling from my house." "Where's that?" "Down the street from you, YOU KNOW!"

ITS THE END OF THE WORLD! AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaAAAAH!

Seriously, the level reqs I've seen aren't bad. Heck, at the required levels I'll need mochams and probably a wrangle to cast those nano's.

This is mainly to prevent a level 200 from casting huge buffs on level 10 twinks.

</fanboi>

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast