Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Level requirements on new nano programs

Originally posted by SeraphFire

DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU WILL NOT BE AFFECTED IN THE FUTURE JUST BECAUSE IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOU NOW?!
    ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!

Originally posted by SeraphFire

DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU WILL NOT BE AFFECTED IN THE FUTURE JUST BECAUSE IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOU NOW?!

You know in the end, if all the new nanos are going to be levelreq'ed.. the old ones will be too in time.
    Georg 218 doc
    [1809] PT
    Legion
    Web: [http://www.legionhq.org]
    Irc: irc.legionhq.org
    Ts: www.legionhq.org

it might not be the end of the world, but its ao loosing its uniqueness, which is a valid excuse to leave
    My lungs arent blackened by tar, they're blackened by SIN!

Angry

Originally posted by Myers

ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!
    No but it is the end of skill based game.

Next thing you know there will lvl reqs on everything.

And as for your previous comment on not trying it:

I tried it on the test server and believe it is not direction AO needs to be taking.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
    ------------------------
    Serendipity is looking for a needle in a haystack and finding the farmer's daughter.
    ------------------------
    "Your safety guaranteed, in just a few arns." - Staleek
    "Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows, how're you going to guarantee my safety?" - John Crichton

Originally posted by biggfoo
    SO when is FC taking out skill points and just putting ability's and level reqs on anything. That will end 99% of over equiping and thats what you want right?
    why have abilities soemone might up there str more than someoen else and they be OS'ed <over skilled>

in fact i think Fc shoudl take away levels too so that all we could wear is thongs and sunglasses
    welcome to 1984 starting this week we are currently and have always been at war with the terroism.

War on terrorism: The act of violating every basic human right.

It's not the end of the world. It's just another slippery step down.

If all nanos get changed like this, it'll be time for me to find a new game.

Level reqs on nanos are bad in general, especially when it comes to breeds, exisiting buffs, items that add nano mods, etc, etc. What would be the point of having a nano breed as a doc if you didn't get any bonus for higher intel and psy, and you implanted very well, only to see an atrox doc using the same nano lines with no implants? Extreme example, but a valid one.

Wtf kind of balance is this, really? It defeats the whole damn purpose of the skill system.

More homgeny and cookie-cutterness. It's not bad enough we're all wearing the same damn things (MK armor, Primus coats, etc) but now we all do the exact same thing, at the exact same level?

Besides, there are plenty of reasons to leave already. This is just another enticement to push ye old cancel.
    Perfection breeds weakness.

Obergeist-Burning bright, Above the head ghost

Mdgprogram-Fearful symmetry <---beat the every lovin' crap out of a level 60 soldier at 49

Stronger, better, faster, push it

The Troll Corps want you!tm
    General in the Troll Corps tm

Im very sceptic about level reqs on nanos too. Very sadistic of FC to make gimps out of the nanobreed that way.

I know level requirements are a big dissapointment, and I rather not have them. I just can't see it making the game not fun.

It takes a significant slice from my fun pie. Character development and skill advancement are key reasons why I liked the game. One of the things I absolutely deplored about EQ, and a primary reason for me leaving that game was that at level N, I was identical to every other level N within my profession. Disappointment does not even begin to cover how I feel about having this aspect of the game whittled away at. This really reduces everyone to the same blueprint, and I just see no fun at all in that.

I like this game. I really do. But in all seriousness, could you make a dumber move? IN all seriousness could you please do something more to demonstrate you contempt for your customers? You've been told by everyone on the board not to do this, not to change the focus of the game. You're lying about this being about balance, because it isn't. Its about two things. First, its about you wanting to change the vision of the game in a new direction and Second its about proving you can do whatever you want with your game. Well, you're right. You can nuture your community and cause the game to thrive, or you can kill it, on purpose and against the screams and cries of everyone in game.
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

For me, personally, no I don't. I except myself to level and keep "ahead" of lvl reqs. The MA profession have their profession critical buffs (crit buffs, MA skill buffs) implemented. That's my main priority.

However, I will go into a raging fit if lvl reqs are borked. Believe me. You aint seen forum rage until you see me at it (those who remember MA's with 13.8 will know what I mean).

For the new nanos going into 14.4, I don't see many level reqs being borked. A few could use tweaks, but the majority seems reasonable. However, I'm very worried about breeds being messed up and I'm quite concerned about where this will go in the future, but I wont quit about it. I think it makes perfect sense to put a lvl req on the fixer NCU buffs for example. It's not like they move the entire game from skill to level based. It affects new nanos, nothing more, nothing less. Thou I fully agree that profession "balancing" nanos should be excerpted from this, or have the lvl reqs set lower then the norm.

I'm sad that FC feels that skill alone didn't cut it, I would have hoped it would. It's really hard to judge before we see the effects of this. I disagree in principle (of course), but it is FC's game. If this is what they think is necessary, so be it. I don't like it, but I don't hate it neither.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

no

Cosmik - this is a bad idea.

I just returned to AO after a 6 month absense for several reasons - mainly because it looked like the changes that have been made are positive, thought-out and good for the game (i.e. players and devs agree). The OE and mission reward/token changes are great and fair, new items and mobs worth hunting, the Team Mission /boss loot changes alone are worth coming back for!! the new content is, well, getting better, things really look like they're really going in the right direction. 14.4 looks great, great nanos, new fixer grid (it had better be greaaat) new loot, great stuff ahead.

So why throw a needless cog into the works?

This level req idea is not only bad, but it's unneccessary and redundant. It's merely punitive as the specific level reqs don't make any sense.

Why on earth (or RK) have a lvl 195 req on a nano? Every player I have met in the 185+ range seems to have IP to burn. As it should be. If all the nano skill reqs on a nano are functioning as intended, why institute a secondary measure to enforce them?

The system is fine as it is, though some work could be done on MP and Engie pets...

Instead, why not increase the max level from 200 ----> 300? That would be great, forward-thinking and exciting!

Don't do it, FC.
    Auri Sacra Fames!

Specialone Clan Fixer RK-2
    Spatialone Clan Bureaucrat RK-2

level requirements are bull****.

Short and sweet thats the way it is.

I think we should all adopt that statement into our sig.

well, how ironic, just as DAoC moves to make their game less level oriented, AO moves to make their game more level oriented, lol

If this change truly goes live, and it obviously is, then it is the biggest mistake I have seen AO make in a while. What does this add to the game? You are killing AO attempting to balance it. I am not that passionate about the game, but I am still having fun playing it. If this goes live, I guess it wont really affect me as my short term goal right now is level 75ish to get quantum wings.

I do agree you have killed the whole reason for a nanomage, if there really was one beyond looks, which is why I took it. Some of your recent changes dont make much sense, this one is just beyond comprehending.
    Wrongdoer MP RK2
    currently being served by:
    Morbidity (aggroer)
    Bodybag (healer)
    Bozo (mez)

Expire - MA RK2

Thank you for putting my class fixes on boss mobs, and putting level requirements on them. Oh and making them self only.
    // wildwal - the sexiest adv evar - now with nr!
    // legion

I have a question that i want answered by FC(knowing it won't)

How are you going to account for differences in breeds?? for example nanomages were intended to be able to use nanos earlier right?? So now with the limits the nanomage prof can get infuses or whatever and cast the highest level nanos for the level. But now her comes the atrox and gets mochams and can cast the same nanos. So essentially every breed will be casting the same nanos at the same levels despite there breed handicaps or benefits.

If thats exactly the way you intend to do it then lets just delete solitus nano and opi from the game and make everyone atrox because anyone who didn't choose atrox for new characters would either be a newb or a complete and total dumbass who should be taken out back and shot.

So i hope thats not what you plan on doing.

Please don't do this.

I felt something was up when you introduced the agent mask. It's the first item that is level-locked per wearer. I feel it won't be the last one.

Adding level requirements to anything defeats the purpose of implants. It defeats the purpose of breeds. It unmakes AO as a skill-based game. It makes the AO world a monochromatic one, where every character of a given breed at level x is a cookie-cutter image of another one. Instead of giving the players something to look forward to in terms of skills, something they could augment towards with buffs and implants, you are putting a hard barrier that can only be breached through gaining levels.

AO has distinguished itself from other games on the market for several reasons; beautiful graphics, and skill-based system were just 2 of them. You are still an alternative to everything that's coming down the line. But you, yourselves are eroding that edge. If the purpose of shadowlands is to be level based only, then, well, what will make me choose it over another MMORPG that's based upon a semi-popular movie series?

Someone sometime ago had a great vision. To take the D&D rules, and convert them to a futuristic game. They didn't just take those rules, but expanded on them. A fighter became a soldier, cleric a doctor, rogue a fixer... They were able to break out of the paper and pen based system, and build upon it with the available technology to what AO is today.

Cosmic, who is the new person in charge of sabotaging this game? Why are they being listened to?

For once, please listen to the players.
    Ananke - Carrah - Loretta

ZWhen the going got tough, the tough ran away

Stop the hate child!

Making 1/4 or less of a profession's nanos have a level requirement doesn't all of a sudden change this game from skill based to level based. The reality is that title caps have more of an effect on the level in which you can use nanos than these level limits. I think it's pretty clear that most profs can still be buffed and implanted into better abilities, it's just getting these new nanos too early on has the potential to be unbalancing. In addition, by putting a level cap you reduce the ip strain so people don't feel forced to forgo other ablilities for these new nanos.

Now please everybody take your prozac and remember it's just a game. I really feel sorry for Cosmik who has to read all the hate, it's pretty reasonable to assume that he'll be more likely to respond to reasoned comments without threats and insults.

Originally posted by Xeni
    Im very sceptic about level reqs on nanos too. Very sadistic of FC to make gimps out of the nanobreed that way.
    Don't you mean 'bigger gimps'?
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

Originally posted by RVWinkle
    Stop the hate child!

Making 1/4 or less of a profession's nanos have a level requirement doesn't all of a sudden change this game from skill based to level based.
    Now please everybody take your prozac and remember it's just a game. I really feel sorry for Cosmik who has to read all the hate, it's pretty reasonable to assume that he'll be more likely to respond to reasoned comments without threats and insults.
    Your first point might have some validity if these were not fix nanos, you know, items put in now to make up for shortcomings on the part of Funcom to begin with. As it is, though, they are exactly that, so yes, it does change the game from skill to level based for those professions.

In some way, I do feel badly for anyone that has to go through the angry posts. But the bottom line there is that there were a number of very reasoned posts that were ignored. People who are paying a fee do not like to be ignored, and becoming incensed is not all that unusual. And, the bottom line is that anyone that has this type of position gets paid to read and respond.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast