Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Level requirements on new nano programs

Red face

heheheh, and to think I left a level based game for this one. Oh well. Have fun. The cintinued ineptitude of Funcom to listen and act upon the words of it's players has worn thin on me and I have definately decided that a multitude of games are better.

Now, where was that cancel button located?
    Aekhold
    Sulsisy
    You think that's air your breathing? Hmmmm.........

Originally posted by Aekhold
    Now, where was that cancel button located?
    https://register.funcom.com/
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

Dumb move ...

bye bye skill based game
    Welcome to even more Uber lvling player base
    Bye bye creative chances to "personalise" your character
    Bye bye RP, after all I am exactly the same as anyone else and have no choice about it
    Bye bye FC, Im looking at that button now.....

Why Hi NWN (Arghh but its AD&D) ...

This is a joke right...

"the level requirement is no higher than the intended level on new nano programs"

Excuse me, "the intended level?" If this is truly a skill based game then there should be NO "intended" level before I can start using my nano programs. The fact that I can use one line of nano's as an agent and another agent can use a different line because that's what he chose to pump his IP into was the beauty of this whole game. And I don't want to here about how this has been virtually set up from the beginning. If I'm agressive with my implants and other buffs I should be able to not only equip whatever I want (and that's a different issue that I have) but I should be able to cast whatever formula I want. I busted my arse to get the money to buy the formulas now I might not be able to use them even if I was VERY close to qualifying for them? So they'll just sit in my inventory until Im like level 100? That's bunk.

Without the ability to be versitile and DIFFERENT I don't want to play this game anymore. The day level requirements go into affect and hinder my ability to be an individual is the last day I stop playing AO. I'll find better things to do with my time while I wait for SWG. Period.

Nailz Out

You will never know how many subscribers FC already has, how many leave because of their never ending promises and at the present because of lvl reqs NF introduction.
    They know that DAoC , level based game, has more than 200.
    000 players, that DAoC is ten times under AO in terms of graphics and boring as hell and has however 200.000 players.

I think they dont care at all if you leave or not because of changes. there is a renewal in the player base and if they can keep them with simplified game mechanics they will do it. its only business and if necessary AO will become a new DAoC/EQ whatever can make them survive.
    We are around 100 players in my guild, Consortium Sofratus, and i know that most ,if not all, will leave for SWG or a better (real skill based) new MMoRPG because of all what we expected from this game, all what was promised in the beginning and has not been kept, all that will never happen .
    We stay because, frankly, there is nothing better than AO for the moment, this is our "deluxe" IRC chat server too .
    There is 6 months left before a new big MMORPG will be released (like SWG).
    I hope AO will change in the good way but i'm not sure it will happen.
    Last edited by Alphane; Jul 1st, 2002 at 16:03:34.
    Alphane
    Jetdail
    MA - Clan -

And that's the point. AO has no competition right now.
    People are leaving EQ/AC/UO. DAoCs level-based game is boring.
    AO, despite all its problems, is the most attractive on the current market.
    Funcom should be acting to secure that position instead of mimic
    all the games that people are leaving. Skill-based games are the future.
    SWG is skill-based. City of Heros is skill-based.
    Players want the ability to customize (and optimize!)
    their characters, instead of being forced into a level-based mold.
    Is it easier on the Dev's to know exactly how powerful everyone
    will be at every level? Of course. But it's boring for players.
    'Balance' is less important than fun. 'Balance' is not as important
    to most of us as it is to the whiners on the PvP board.
    Most of us can deal with competition, and when someone is
    doing something better than us, instead of screaming nerf,
    we take that as a challenge to improve ourselves.
    It's ok for one player/character to be 'better' than another.
    Most of us are content to just feel unique.

Funcom, relax. Rethink your plans. Listen to what the vast
    majority of your customers want. (and what they dont want)
    Earn our loyalty by showing you respect us.
    Redoing some nanos for the expansion isn't a big deal.
    You are about to remove the core foundation of the game
    that keeps us here in spite of all the other problems.
    It doesn't really matter if you see it that way. We do.

Thumbs down Level-locking is worthless.

Arent title caps enough?

Originally posted by dijou
    You will never know how many subscribers FC already has, how many leave because of their never ending promises and at the present because of lvl reqs NF introduction.

I think they dont care at all if you leave or not because of changes. there is a renewal in the player base and if they can keep them with simplified game mechanics they will do it. its only business and if necessary AO will become a new DAoC/EQ whatever can make them survive.
    Actually, if you want to monitor antiguardians over a few months, you'll notice a declining trend on the amount of characters in Anarchy. While this is not the most accurate way of graphing AO's player base numbers, I think we can assume that less characters=less players=less suscribers. So AO isn't really keeping up with the loss of players with new suscribers. In a nutshell, they're losing money slowly as the months go by.

Now I have no idea what they actually thought, but it seems that some genius decided that the expansion needs to be pushed. It should be more level based then skill based cause hey! all the other games are like that. If AO becomes a mimic, then it too can have the playerbase of DAOC!

This same genius was being shortsighted of course. He did not think about the other gaming companies that have figured out that level based games are the thing of the past. He looks at current games and forgets that their successors are...you guess it..skill based.

All this makes me wonder if they have any intention of going the full four years. It looks to me that they're no longer thinking of the future, but merely trying to grab what they can and run.

It's sad really, because AO is the best on the market atm in my opinion.

It is sad... I had followed the development of this game for years... and to see it fall to this state when so much was promised... *sigh*

Really, it's obvious that the developers have lost the spirit and excitement for this game; it's all about a desperate attempt to keep their jobs at this point. I can't fault them for that, but I can fault them for their wrong headed approach to the situation. It's like seeing a loved one slowly destroy themselves with drugs... you try and help... you scream, cajole and threaten, but they insist on continuing with their self destructive behavior while all you can do is watch and wait for the inevitable...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why am I not surprised

Originally posted by Reclaim

note the link/poll above.

I didn't pull 85% out of my butt.

and it sure looks like way more than 85% of the posters are against this.

It truely does turn AO from a skill-based game into a level-based game.
    Note the future mmorpgs coming out are mostly skill-based.
    People are leaving level-based games for skill-based ones.
    That's what we want. That's what we've had until now.

Shadowlands can rot on the shelf like the original AO box did.
    sellling for 1 penny after a few months.
    Player retention is more important than short-term box sales.
    Players are demanding AO stay the skill-based game in the
    form it has been, or they will move to games that give them
    the flexibility that they have learned to love.
    You said 85% were threatening to quit. The poll shows 85% disapprove of the new level restrictions. That is correct, as far as posters on these boards are concerned, who may or may not be representative of all AO players. However, disapproving of the restrictions and seriously threatening to quit are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.
    Chaingu
    Clan Explorer
    Rubi-ka Geographical Society
    "Because it's there!"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why am I not surprised

Originally posted by Chaingu
    You said 85% were threatening to quit. The poll shows 85% disapprove of the new level restrictions. That is correct, as far as posters on these boards are concerned, who may or may not be representative of all AO players. However, disapproving of the restrictions and seriously threatening to quit are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.
    No, he said in his example relating to his business that "If over 85% of our subscribers (85% of my income!) threatened to cancel, that would worry me a lot", not that 85% of Funcom's customers did.
    Originally posted by Whaambulance
    Hi.

This is singlehandedly the stupidest post I have EVER read on these forums. Congradulations.
    'Balancing' Nanos Will Remain Imbalanced Vs. Old Nanos - Because We Said So!

O Gaute, Gaute! Wherefore art thou Gaute?
    Deny thy nerfs and refuse thy lame design decisions;
    Or, if thou wilt not, be but on the forums,
    And I'll no longer be a whiner.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why am I not surprised

In general, I agree with you.
    But in this case, the changes are so despised, and so game-breaking,
    that I am seeing very few people saying "I dont like it, but I'll deal with it".
    Most of the people against this are either already canceling
    or saying they will cancel if funcom continues in this direction.
    .. so make that 'most of 85%' instead.

And it's very real.
    More people I know are canceling now than in 12.6 (lots)
    More people I know are canceling now than due to OE nerfs (lots)
    If you monitor character stats at Antigaurdians,
    the number of active characters (hence accounts) ingame is dropping.
    Funcom may very well be increasing signups, but it is
    not making up for the massive number of cancelations.

Just look around ingame,
    there are times when I've run thru OmniE (RK1)
    and only seen a couple other people, and the shop channel doesn't scroll.
    Places like 20K and Broken Shores will always be lagholes.
    But the overall population is diminishing noticably.

And most of the people that are still here, make no secret
    of the fact that it is only to kill time until SWG. Will SWG be
    perfect? No, but it does sound promising, with no classes
    and no levels and totally skill-based characters.
    At this point, it's kindof like leaving a bad relationship.
    Will the next one be perfect? Probably not. But she's
    gotta be better than the psycho who just burnt all your stuff.

I think actually that FC would want this game to "fail" so that they can cut their losses and pull the plug. Atleast they are trying hard to do just that.

What do I base this?

They know their current code is POS (Piece Of Sh.t) and that even if they keep patching it with glue it will be horrible. This was their first attempt on MMORPG and it failed, BAD.

Ok so what did they do? They announced Midgard (long time ago). They knew they cant get this work, so better start from the fresh and learn from the mistakes and do it right this time...

Ofcourse the players of that time werent actually endeared for such announcement and were furious. So FC said they put Midgard on halt and pool resources back to AO. Did they? Dont look like they did. I think it was just BS and Midgard project has already 90% of their resources.

They just want excuse for AO to fail, prolly waiting SWG themself like it would be Messiah to save them so that they can say "look, xx% of our player place left, we cant keep this running and there is no other option than pull the plug".

Fast forward 2 years and people forget how bad AO was (yes, some have to use heavy medication for that but most will forget) and then FC will announce Midgard. Their new and shiny MMORPG of which promises earth, moon and then some...

Will you buy it?

Zarch and da chars

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why am I not surprised

Originally posted by Reclaim

In general, I agree with you.
    But in this case, the changes are so despised, and so game-breaking,
    that I am seeing very few people saying "I dont like it, but I'll deal with it".
    Most of the people against this are either already canceling
    or saying they will cancel if funcom continues in this direction.
    .. so make that 'most of 85%' instead.

And it's very real.
    More people I know are canceling now than in 12.6 (lots)
    More people I know are canceling now than due to OE nerfs (lots)
    If you monitor character stats at Antigaurdians,
    the number of active characters (hence accounts) ingame is dropping.
    Funcom may very well be increasing signups, but it is
    not making up for the massive number of cancelations.

Just look around ingame,
    there are times when I've run thru OmniE (RK1)
    and only seen a couple other people, and the shop channel doesn't scroll.
    Places like 20K and Broken Shores will always be lagholes.
    But the overall population is diminishing noticably.

On most of this I would have to agree. I think that the 85% is going to turn out to be more like 8 to 5%, but any amount lost on this is a waste of customers. What gets me about the whole thing was that they reversed the restrictions on the nanos. What they should have done was put level restrictions on the target of the nano, not the caster. That would kill over-twinking instantly with them. And putting these restrictions on self-only nanos makes no sense at all.

As for SWG, like everyone else, I am waiting to see what it is like. Will I be leaving AO? Almost certainly, but for me it is simply bordem. This game is little more than a first-person shooter. It lacks depth. Most skills are useless. Trade skills very nearly non-existant. Storyline, where? Never seen it.

But, I will be replaced. So will all the old timers. What is happening may be the best thing for FC. They want fresh blood who "grew up" in the game with the present system and present restrictions. If you remember the old days, you will be an unhappy thorn in their side. They don't, in my opinion, worry about the old timers because the young blood is much easier to please.
    Chaingu
    Clan Explorer
    Rubi-ka Geographical Society
    "Because it's there!"

Originally posted by Zylina
    Actually, if you want to monitor antiguardians over a few months, you'll notice a declining trend on the amount of characters in Anarchy. While this is not the most accurate way of graphing AO's player base numbers, I think we can assume that less characters=less players=less suscribers. So AO isn't really keeping up with the loss of players with new suscribers. In a nutshell, they're losing money slowly as the months go by.

Now I have no idea what they actually thought, but it seems that some genius decided that the expansion needs to be pushed. It should be more level based then skill based cause hey! all the other games are like that. If AO becomes a mimic, then it too can have the playerbase of DAOC!

This same genius was being shortsighted of course. He did not think about the other gaming companies that have figured out that level based games are the thing of the past. He looks at current games and forgets that their successors are...you guess it..skill based.

All this makes me wonder if they have any intention of going the full four years. It looks to me that they're no longer thinking of the future, but merely trying to grab what they can and run.

It's sad really, because AO is the best on the market atm in my opinion.
    If I understand correctly, AG is plotting characters in a guild only... I have played since launch in Europe, and just joined a guild a couple of weeks ago... So it's natural that AG is showing recent leaves, but not new arrivals...

Besides, the player base of MMORPG is so conservative and stuck against any possible change to the perceived game mechanisms that the only way these companies can operate is by getting rid of old timers regularly. Usually this is done by rotating them through a few different games (like 80% of the player base who was leaving for DAoC six months ago because it completely ruled AO, or the 80% you was leaving for Neocron next month when it is out). Now, they're all leaving or planning to leave for the two hot stuff at the moment : SWG (which we don't know if it will be good yet, for all I know, if might look like Episode One with a bunch of kids on the servers) and Never Winter. The first is skill based and all, which doesn't make it good per se... Quake is not level based after all, but it's not a good MMORPG . The second is worse than level based, it's AD&D based, the Pong of RPG : level restriction, class restriction, race restriction, you have it all...

I don't think FC is caring that much about that "80%" of players leaving... Because they're the ones frightening to leave at about every patch, whatever they do anyway...

Besides, I fail to see where AO is actually becoming level based, or more than it was before... It's certainly not getting the simplicity of level based stuff. It always had a level limit anyway (a level 10 NT cannot have 1000 points in MC, there is a per level limit to the amount you can be in a skill), and nanos and items were always designed with these limits in mind (so, level based, only now they show the number). You still have to make choices for char developpment (even with the level limits, a Fixer *has* to neglect some nano lines,you're still the one deciding on your weapon choices, armor...).

The only thing you can't do anymore is uber-twinking low level chars... If you're leaving over that, good bye then... Have fun in SWG until you discover you cannot play a low level Jedi twink

Originally posted by Linta

The only thing you can't do anymore is uber-twinking low level chars... If you're leaving over that, good bye then... Have fun in SWG until you discover you cannot play a low level Jedi twink
    No.
    The thing you cant do anymore is cast nanos you have the required skill to cast.
    The thing you can't do anymore is make IP/implant choices
    to differentiate yourself from others your same level.
    The thing you can't do anymore is play the skill-based game you bought.
    That's why everybody is pissed off. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'twinking'.
    Untwinked, below-average players hit the level limits too.
    Funcom have said they intend to put level limits on all new nanos.
    and you're retarded if you can't see that, if that happens,
    it will eventually be applied retroactively to all nanos.
    This is the crossroad. Going down the path of level limits is wrong.
    Players are fighting to keep a game they love.
    We dont want to be forced into other games just because
    we insist on a flexible skill-system like AO used to have.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why am I not surprised

I love that analogy. "she's gotta be better than the psycho who just burnt all your stuff."

But, I will be replaced. So will all the old timers. What is happening may be the best thing for FC. They want fresh blood who "grew up" in the game with the present system and present restrictions. If you remember the old days, you will be an unhappy thorn in their side. They don't, in my opinion, worry about the old timers because the young blood is much easier to please.
    Well, actually I just started at the beginning of last month. Was enjoying myself quite abit. Much better than the levelling treadmills of other MMORPG. But I am quitting until they fix the level requirements. They can even keep the level requirements, just lower the required level a lot, so everybody without the expansion can cast the nanos as early as they skill wise can. There is a topic in the Game Mechanics forum, showing all but 1 of the Adventurer nanos below ql100 needed the level req lowered. And the fact that, since all the req. happened to land on nice neat number brackets. They didn't even try to match level requirements, with what a toon could implant and buff into.

Martin
    Martin

Originally posted by Bhaaz

Really, it's obvious that the developers have lost the spirit and excitement for this game; it's all about a desperate attempt to keep their jobs at this point. I can't fault them for that, but I can fault them for their wrong headed approach to the situation. It's like seeing a loved one slowly destroy themselves with drugs... you try and help... you scream, cajole and threaten, but they insist on continuing with their self destructive behavior while all you can do is watch and wait for the inevitable... [/B]

My feelings exactly!

Ander

Very bad move....
    Othgar
    Omni-Tek Master Assassin
    Skitch
    Omni-Tek NT (Testlive)

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast