Thread: What happened to the "impartial media"

What happened to the "impartial media"

I'm noticing an increasing trend in the news periodicals of Rubi-Ka. It seems that the reporters for publications on both sides find it acceptable to use their articles as a place to state their personal opinions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that media does not attempt to outwardly take sides. They are meant to disperse facts, not represent a specific interpretation of those facts. The purpose of an editorial is for a newspaper to state an opinion aside from the facts. When every article you print is an editiorial, it makes having a separate editorial section a little redundant.

This problem is far more of an issue in the clan's Voice of Freedom, but I see it happening in both publications. It really needs to stop. These newspapers are virtually the only source of information for many of the citizens on Rubi-Ka and by erroneously skewing every little event to one view or another you eliminate the ability for people to interpret all the facts in their own way. I would expect this of Omni, but it is precisely what we're fighting against on the side of freedom.
    Last edited by Luxxan; Dec 7th, 2001 at 22:07:14.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

"impartial media" is a myth. Always has been.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Even in America, there is no such thing as an impartial media. :P And Rubi-Ka definitely isn't America.

Welcome to Omni-Tek.

If you have a complaint, please step in line.

Next number: 2, 543, 574

Now serving: 4
    http://www.titanmining.com

My complaint is much more geared towards the reporter for the Voice of Freedom. I've spoken with Sandfield numerous times, and I think he is as objective as he can be. However, such cannot be said for the clan's reporter.

I understand that the media is never truly impartial, but there should at least be an -attempt- at being impartial. Bringing up personal opinions of people and actions and telling little stories about yourself is disgustingly impartial and has no place in any periodical other than TAG.

A general press rule of thumb is never to use the words "I", "you", "me", etc. This means things like "I for one" or "I feel" or other things that make it clear that you are stating an interpretation of facts or presenting a direct question to the reader. You'd think this much would be obvious.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

It is all a step in the proces of making you claners less prone to think for you self. If you want the possibility to think, draw you own conclusions, and fight for the possibility to not having the media brainwashing you, join the family of OmniTek.
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek

Well the IRN is impartial....ish.
    We see both the OT and Clans as the same. Both of you just a bunch of warmongers. All the stories might have a Neut slant on them but still, we don't spout any propaganda from OT or the Clans and I hope we never will.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Originally posted by Chagidiel
    It is all a step in the proces of making you claners less prone to think for you self. If you want the possibility to think, draw you own conclusions, and fight for the possibility to not having the media brainwashing you, join the family of OmniTek.
    Hmmm no brainwashing in Omni-Tek. Are you saying that Omni-Reforms "teaching techniques" are just a form for high speed learning and not brainwashing employees into doing anything the company tells them?
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Yes.

That, and making our best to explain for the ordanary employer why certain descisions have been made by the company.
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek