Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Living Life at the Rusty Wrench

Living Life at the Rusty Wrench

((Just a freeform RP, PLEASE feel free to join in. Be respectful, realistic, and have fun!))

Damon smiles at the building. It wasn't anything special, and was already beginning to show the signs that it had been out in the weather of the desert, but it was his. A large sign on the roof proclaimed what it was. A huge metal wrench across the eve, with rust spots speckled across its survace. Neon lights lit up the letters engraved in it.

Damon walks inside and taps D.I.Y.A.'s arm once as he walks by and flips on the sign. Nanobots stream through the tubing and the 'open' sign blazes to life. The large slayerdroid standing next to the door gives a slight mechanical nod. "Its open to everyone now?" the slayerdroid speaks out to him.

"Yep, now to just wait and see if anyone comes." Damon responds as me makes his way behind the bar and smiles. Maybe this place would work out. Hell, a new bar, middle of nowhere, could be interesting at the very least. He hoped that the advertising he had shelled out for had gotten to people.

Outside the wind picks up a little as a storm builds up slowly. That should drive a few people inside, after all, where better to weather a storm than a bar, and the Rusty Wrench was in the perfect place to shelter.
    Last edited by korejar; Sep 19th, 2004 at 14:41:57.
    Damon 'Korejar' Thompon
    ~Society of Salvation~

Official Chewtoy of Regulas and Timelapse
    Foil makes a dandy hat to keep the sun out of your eyes.... as well as Regulas's mind control rays out of your brain!

((ooc question: is the rusty wrench neutral?))

((OOC: Definitely. A little background: I had an idea from the time that Funcom announced the 'Towns of Rubi-Ka' that I would love to be able to open a little bark, no where special, but along the route between cities. Something that someone might see as they traveled and stop in, or seek out specifically to check out if they heard about it. I imagined just a building, nothing huge, but large enough to house a couple dozen people. Unfortunately, the game mechanics don't support my little bar in the middle of nowhere, so its pure incarnation is here in the buzz.

Faction doesn't matter to me, all are welcome at the Rusty Wrench.))
    Damon 'Korejar' Thompon
    ~Society of Salvation~

Foil makes a dandy hat to keep the sun out of your eyes.... as well as Regulas's mind control rays out of your brain!

{ Enjoyable read, Kore. Good to see your back. }
    Courage, Wisdom, Power, Faith, Life, Death, Change, Dream, Fear, Freedom, Friensdhip, Honesty, Honor, Intelligence, Justice, Knowledge, Love, Peace, Time, Future, Truth ; Everything needed to be great.

Malcom "Shadowgrider" Kenley - R.I.P.

"There can be no opinion about Truth." -Bret "XSerter" Kenley

Damon frowns and crosses his arms as he leans back against the shelves behind the bar. Ok, maybe expecting customers in the middle of nowhere within the first hour was foolish. Heck, the fliers probably weren't exactly noticable. Damon shrugs and leans down, grabbing a small red ball. He bounces it once and grins. A black head with sharp teeth and pointy ears pokes around the end of the bar at him to see what the noise was.
    "We might was well, not many people in here yet," Damon says as he glances across the empty barroom. With a flick of his wrist he bounces the ball off the floor right in front of Daedelus and off the wall, into the empty room. The mechanically enhanced dog skids around and chases after it, intent to capture it and bring it back to his master.
    Damon 'Korejar' Thompon
    ~Society of Salvation~

Ms.Ice notices a flyer lying on the table in her quaint apartment and pick it up to read it...

The Rusty Wrench

She smiles softly thinking of her long-time friend Damon

hmmn... i bet he could use a visit!!

She gathers a few things from the nightstand for she and April, and prepares some picnic foods for the trip to see Damon

i can't wait to see what he and DIYA have done with the place!!!
    meta "msice" gaviglia
    Loving President of the ~Society of Salvation~
    www.societyofsalvation.net

So i walks into the Rusty Wrench right...

BUMP

I was on my way to this place called the Rusty Wrench cuz I found a flyer at my friends place, sounded like fun. Sure did take a while to get there though. You don't just stumble upon this place...(it's in the middle of nowhere so you have to be actually GOING there to find it). So I walks into the Rusty Wrench right.. and i witness something few on the planet get to see. An almost ancient earthy scene. I walk in to see what looks like a man playing with a dog. He had on a shirt with the letters D.I.Y.A. on it so I thought he might be with the law and didn't say hi. The dog, Fetching, sitting, speaking, he was even givin a paw! (or a metal nub if you realy look at it) But this dog was made of metal!? It was just as enthusiastic as the dogs we heard about in stories that our grandfather's grandfater's heard from their grandfather's grandfather's grandfather's. Then an electronic bark and, out of nowhere....a noise...

It was midmorning when I arrived at the place. A dusty little bar no more then a hole in the wall place really.
    This one was different was it the ominous presence of the slayer droid in front of it?
    No . It is different cause of its sheer uniqueness.

I cudayne the editor of the Society Times news paper had just come back from an exploratory mission into the remains of what was once the Gen -Tech Cooperations secret lab.
    As a news paper editor I seldom have opportunity to print anything nice. This my friends is an oasis in the middle of the desert. As I set at a table an handsome young man came over to take my order I had a Bronto steak an a glass of fine wine It was most exquisite. The selection of fine liquors is most astounding.
    This place is unlike ether the popular Reets Retreet or the somewhat dubious Hope Bar. It combines the aspects of both a great eating establishment and a very quiet an comfortable bar in which to do paperwork or have a drink with friends. My hats off to the proprietor of this fine establishment. May its door remain open an its atmosphere be friendly too all.

"Hey there, Welcome to the Rusty Wrench." Damon smiles as he tosses the ball into a corner. Daedelus quickly understanding as he lays down, watching. "If I can getcha anything, just let me know." Damon continues as he moves back behind the bar, wiping his hands off with a nanotreated bartowel. "We've got a good selection, pretty much anything you could want, within reason." Damon reaches under the counter and produces a thin cardboard coaster which he sets down in front of Josefus. "What'll it be?"
    Damon 'Korejar' Thompon
    ~Society of Salvation~

Do you serve....pie?
    I'm the Christian that the devil and liberal media warned you about.

Rubber "Mrfli" Duckie - Enforcer/211/12/equip - Hugging reclaim so that you don't have to.
    Charlie "Deadleet" Murphy - Meta-Physicist/169/05 - I <3 Biazu the Vile.
    Evil "Twiin" - Enforcer/90/05 - I can never remember if I'm the good twin or the evil twin.

Damon looks at the small refrigerator under the counter. "Well, yes, but I wouldn't get used to it. Deliveries aren't always going to be reliable I bet. Sure, the basics for the bar will be here, but.... You're lucky its still fresh." Damon pulls out a small slice of sweetened berry pie and slides it over the bar to Mr Fli. Finially, business had started to pick up. Who knows what might blow in next.
    Damon 'Korejar' Thompon
    ~Society of Salvation~

Alone at the party

I like comfort, what is wrong in that, April thinks. I like to sit on thick cushions, to not fear to dirt my perfect outfit, to have a cool cider.
    She looks around, over her friends chatting and giggling, to the home-made furniture, like this automated rail, carrying the coat hangers. Damon said he didnt use the crashed shuttle nearby to get the parts, and it is true they dont look like coming from there, but an engineer can recycle this plasteel, bend it and shape it and reuse it... everything here seemed so... second hand.
    "Hey April, Meta is not with you?"
    So well noticed. She didnt reply to Angel aloud, watching her nails, head low.
    "Are you upset? You miss her?
    - Upset? why do you think that? I am not upset!"
    Her tone was rude, she realized it. She decided not to reply more, looked to the side. On the wall, the massive air conditioner was maintaining a cool temperature.
    "He may have all the filters he wants, this place will always be dusty", she whispered.
    She couldnt see the desert dust of course, but she could feel it. She slid a finger on the wood table, expecting to get it dirty. "Ouch!"
    In a reflex, she pulled her hand back, a pearl of blood rolling down on the skin. Damn this shard, this bar hates me.
    "This one is on me", Damon said, smiling, holding a bottle of cider out at April. "Want a tissue for your finger?"
    He passed his hand flat on the table, finding no shard.
    She grumbled a low "thanks", not wanting this cider.
    Actually the drink was cool and tasty, the bottle was empty before she realized it. Okay, at least the drinks are acceptable.
    Time to go now, she thought. Everyone having fun is so... annoying. They must pretend to enjoy the place, to be polite to Damon.
    She stood and walked to the door, wanting to be... somewhere else. She turned around for a last look at the main room, at her friends, at the sun flowing through the windows. She waved a bit, not wanting to show her... nervousness. She thought I dont like it here. May be everyone is enjoying, but I dont like you, bar. She was not sincere, knowing she was blaming the bar for her lonely evening, still feeling better to find a responsible.
    She turned, walking out. The doorstep hit her face, as her move was miscalculated. She walked out, ashamed as everyone saw that, with teary eyes, more in frustration than in pain.
    My luck, this bar has a soul.
    Last edited by Everwatch; Sep 30th, 2004 at 19:25:50.
    April "Everwatch" Garasha

General of the ~ Society of Salvation ~, RP omni org on Atlantean
    Leader of the DART - Department of Acquisitions, Raids and Training, the military branch of the SoS.

Feel free to contact me for events and application to the DART.

*Pulls her hood closer an takes a chair in the corner hoping no one notices she is there.*

A quiet creak and the soft whisper of soft-soled boots is swallowed up by the normal volume of sounds that flow between the walls of the place. The figure passes unnoticed, below the eye level of the Rusty Wrench's patrons. Only the startled, quiet whuff of the mechdog by the bar and the whirring, clicking greeting of the slayerdroid in back answer this visitor's intrusion.

Form and face obscured in solemn black, it bends to caress the ears of the alert mechdog and drop something between its outstretched paws on the floor. It straightens and moves towards the back, an amber gleam and the flash of straight, white teeth in a dazzling smile showing for a moment from the shadows of its hood and a happy sound of crunching in its wake.

"Shhhhh..."

A small, slender, black-sheathed finger lifts to cross and erase the bright teeth and veil it in shadows with the rest of the visitor's face. The visitor pauses, head swivelling almost mechanically as it surveys the faces of the patronage, lingering on some before moving on. Perhaps it sighed. But if it did, it was an inaudible exhalation of some long lost wistfulness or longing. Gone before it could find expression or notice.

It reaches up, rising to the toes of its black boots to reach the countertop, exposing an inch of soft, tawny wrist between glove and sleeve as it slides a data chip onto the counter and then slips past the hulking white 'bot, one hand casually caressing its polished white leg as the figure slips between its legs and into the back room.
    [SIZE=2]I would believe only in a god who could dance. *Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Tiffiny opens the door and looks uncertainly around the bar as the sandstorm outside swirles dust around her feet. She doesn't see anyone and wonders if the place is open. But the slayerdroid watched her walk in and seemed unconcerned. She shrugs to herself, closing the door behind her, shutting out the horrible howling that had driven her inside.

She mutters to herself as she brushes off her clothing "...damn weather on this planet.. a girl can't even go for a walk without an umbrella and a dust mask, no way to tell what's over the next hill..." She trails off as a mech-dog comes around the bar to sniff at her. "Well hey there little guy."

"Welcome to the Rusty Wrench. Quite a storm blowing out there, glad you made it in alright.." Tiffiny smiles as the bartender sets a coaster on the bar. "Care for a drink?"

"Sure.. got a specialty of the house?" Tiffiny climbs onto a barstool and leans on the bar with a smile, always happy to meet new people.
    Last edited by ellesie; Oct 6th, 2004 at 20:13:35.
    Tiffiny 'Ellesie' Browman, the fiesty Martial Artist.
    Squad Commander of Whisper's Edge

'Joolls' the intrepid adventurer
    Member of First Light
    Lover of Leets

A blurry figure struggles through the storm. "This must be the place." The figure looks around at the desolation. "This has to be the place, there isn't anything else here!" He shrugs his shoulders and steps inside.
    "Great, first a storm, now a clanner!" He shakes his head sadly and listens to the wind howling outside. "Oh well, I'm not going back out in that." As he sides up to the bar, he smirks and asks the bartender for a drink "stronger and more abrasive than that storm."
    He takes his drink and turns to the lady. "Hi, my name is Damon... Mind if I sit here?"
    Shane "Aribi" Kuiper

So what happens if your happiness is taking someones life and/or liberty?

Darkthought walked slouched slightly and with a hand to cover his face from the stinging sand. The nanobots he commanded protected him from the notum-driven storm, but not the lab coat that was in tatters. He squinted ahead, his NCU displayed on his retina the location of a small bar not far from here.
    "If only my Yalmaha hadn't been hit by lightning," he thought. He glanced back to where it was surely covered by a foot of sand now, sitting near one of Omni-Mining's automated notum drilling operations. His footprints were wiped away the moment he took another step.
    Concentrating, Darkthought focused on putting one foot ahead of the other over the din of the howling winds. After another hour of trudging through the deepening sands and avoiding a few of the more distasteful creatures the scratch out a living between storms such as this, the vague shape of a building with a large figure standing in front. Always careful, he double checked his cyberdeck for functionality. Darkthought nodded to himself and continued on the last 20 yards to the electro-mecanically sealed door and the slayerbot guardian. The very murder capable robot watched the nanobreed approach, push the enter button, and go inside.
    The first thing Darkthought did was shake out his hood and armor from the sand particles that had lodged themselves in any crevices and within the texture of his black armor. He deactivated any nanoprograms that might cause any problems in a non-combat environment. He stepped through the second door of the airlock, just as tiny cleaner robots began their joyful work of cleaning up the new mess.
    Darkthought noted the other people in the bar, the mechdog that's occuping itself with a small rubber ball, and the man behind the barcounter. He walked over to the bar and took a seat near the end farthest from the door.
    "Rum and cola," he asked the barkeeper, "and make it a double."
    -Samuel "Darkthought" Gaviglia, Board Member of Omni-Mining - Research & Development

"Nice to meet you Damon. I'm Tiffiny. Quite the storm raging, of course you can join me. Ah, another unlucky soul got caught out there too.." The small woman trailed off and watched the new stranger turn away quickly to sit as far away as possible. "Hm, not quite the friendliest.. " She said quietly as the bartender got his drink.

Suddenly she giggled. "Hey watch that!" She looked down to see the mech dog sniffing at her ankle. "You must smell my leet, huh boy? I hope it's just my shoes." She brushes absently at the imaginary leet hair on her sleeve, then sipped at the drink in front of her. "I think my leet smelled the storm coming, usually she comes with me on my hikes, but she was hiding when i left. Smart leet, she would have been buried instantly with how fast the wind picked up."
    Tiffiny 'Ellesie' Browman, the fiesty Martial Artist.
    Squad Commander of Whisper's Edge

'Joolls' the intrepid adventurer
    Member of First Light
    Lover of Leets

Damon shoves the doors open and frowns across the empty room. He had such great plans for the place, and he had walked out on it prematurely due to other concerns.

"No." he states firmly. He walks across the barroom. "DIYA, hook into the central cleaning systems and get them working again. There should be supplies left in the locked storage." He sets out making the dusty bar livable again. It wasn't time to give up one something he still believed in. "Daedelus..." he firmly says to the mechdog sitting next to the door. "Sit there supervise." he says with a grin. THe dog gives a bark in response and sits attentively watching.

Soon the whole building buzzed with mechanical activity. Small bots sucked dust and cobwebs up. Damon had managed to clean the bar up and its surface once again looked slick. Overhead the lights come to life as the suns set. Damon stands behind the bar once again. A glass of club beer in his hand as he looks across the barrom. He takes a long draught and smiles. "Light 'er up." he says to DIYA as she takes her position in the barrom. The slayerdroid turns slightly, bumping a switch.

Outside, nanobots flow around the darkned sign. The dark sheen of a old spanner brightens as the worlds spring to life, sending a beacon of life across the desert expanse.

The Rusty Wrench was open once again.
    Damon 'Korejar' Thompon
    ~Society of Salvation~

*sees a blurry neon sign through the wind-blown sand* 'Bout time that place opend back up... only decent place to get a drink in four zones.
    Shane "Aribi" Kuiper

So what happens if your happiness is taking someones life and/or liberty?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast