Thread: Story: Interactive yes? Perhaps.

Story: Interactive yes? Perhaps.

Ok, I'm going to speak completely as a non-DC guild member and just as a player here of a game. I'm directing this to those who wonder why they can and can't be a part of the story, or why they think they should be able to change everything. This little editorial just defines some of the basics of what I think is the limits of interaction for players regarding AO:

1. If one guild managed to do get some attention through participating in events in-game, why can they all not get attention like this? Proof in point: The Black Alliance has got a bit of attention on the latest event, the capture of Portman, it's up to them to decide how far they want to take it. I haven't even heard of the Black Alliance till yesterday. So this seemingly unknown guild to me has taken center stage. Good for them, and as the months progress, I'm sure all guilds, both clan and Omni-Tek, will have their chance to make an impact on the story. It won't happen all at once though, and more guilds then others may get some attention if they try harder then most. I don't think everyone will always agree with who is choosen to affect the story. A good example of this is: Lots of people disagree with DC, the way they do things, maybe they're losers/lamers/gimps/ooc/morons, that's their opinion and they're welcome to it. It shows me that FC isn't bias toward hard-core roleplayers, and I think that's a good thing. I disagree with a lot of things my own guild does, but I think every guild, no matter who is in it, should have their chance to get the spotlight.

2. Will you be able to change what happens in the cinematics? Extremely doubtful. Should I defend Funcom on this point? I don't know - on the one hand, it sucks that the HUGE part of the story is not going to be changable. The leaders of the two factions will be 'untouchable' by criticism, in-game events, or violence. With the exception of what they say in press releases (I believe Ross issued a statement regarding a player action), you cannot change this. On the other hand, the cinematics are an extremely creative portion of the game (assuming you have broadband), and I applaud Funcom for trying something different with a MMORPG. This story may not be Shakespeare, but it's the best I've seen in a massively multiplayer game of this magnitude, and it's nice that they are doing this visually and not just on text.

Consider the alternatives for cinematics when you judge Funcom:

- Issuing 'press releases' to define every single event? Gets boring after a while. I'm already sick of press releases.
    - Having the meetings and such happen in-game (IE: Radiman/Ross meeting)? That's great and all, but realistically, you are going to have a LOT of players who want to see those events, and they would be rendered unenjoyable by low FPS, limited interaction, OOC blathering, and overall the 'granduer' of the moment (like the simplicity of a chess game) simply couldn't be captured as well as a cinematic. With the cinematics, at least everyone has a chance to 'keep up' with the story.
    - Written stories released by the site? Great and all, might be one alternative, but I personally was never much into reading about events. Being raised on American culture, I'd much rather see something on TV then in a book.

Conclusion: I don't think anyone will ever be able to affect the major characters in a profound way. The story is going to be in groups like Red Freedom, or when the Council may/may not make decisions to go to full war (which you absolutely will be able to participate in), etc. I DO wish there were things like taking over towns, mayhem in Tir, Omni, etc, and who knows, maybe they're yet to come. Seeing screenshots from places like the Island of Jobe shows me FC has a lot of tricks up their sleeve yet to be revealed.

Opinions welcomed. =)

-Lowburns player

Indeed. Personally I am beginning to view AO as some type of epic TV or Movie series. Lets take Star Wars for example (and it is an example I am not interested in opinions or compaisions to Star Was it is illustrative only)...

How I see it is that we have all these main characters in the story... i.e. Radiman, Ross, Portman, Elina etc. For now these people are the centre of the Anarchy Online story. And the story will evolve around them.

Now in my comparison we have the main characters in Star Wars... Luke, Han, Leia etc. And the story evolves around them. That can't be changed. But can you imagine how great it would have been to be in the Death Star when Alderan is ordered to be destroyed...or maybe even the one that presses the button to fire the weapon?

...Or perhaps being some of the Storm Troopers that attacked Leia's ship at the start of Ep 4.?

I think that this is what AO is all about. We all have a great oppertunity to play a specific part in the story. We all have a chance to be present at any of the event's or key historical moments. We all have a chance to find ourselves at the very centre of the story (i.e. Arberic).

Rather than watching the movie or reading the book. We can all be in that movie or book. Personally I think that is great.

And yes...maybe we will be able to effect the story to some degree who knows.

But if we cannot take control of the story, or become the central or main character then so what? If that is the sort of experiance you are looking for...then maybe AO isn't right for you.

But just imagine...wouldn't you like it if in 3 years from now...you could walk around a ruined city with a newbie...and say to them...

"Aye...Tir used to be a great city. But the day it fell was terrible...I remember...I was there!"

And I think that is a large part of what AO is about. Personally I am very happy and excited about this...
    Last edited by Hiero; Dec 7th, 2001 at 19:38:55.

Originally posted by Hiero
    But can you imagine how great it would have been to be in the Death Star when Alderan is ordered to be destroyed...or maybe even the one that presses the button to fire the weapon?
    I don't know, the Death Star was still unfinished...I'd hate to be one of the building contractors...(Name that movie and you get...nothing.)

I agree with your post though. That's exactly how I see my role in Rubi-Ka. I have a role that matters to myself, and my faction. Whether or not the Funcom GM's see me or not is a non-issue.

I personally wish to walk around a city in three years and tell a newbie "I remember when Tir used to be controlled by the clans...it had dirty, toxic water and the buildings were run down...But look at it today!"

It seems there are a lot of people who want to be the focal point of the story. In single-player RPG's, you ARE the story. People expect the same from Anarchy Online, when it's not. Not everybody can be the saving hero of the Clans or the Employee of the Year for Omni-Tek. Heck, not even most of the people.

It looks to me some people are wanting a Funcom GM to appear in front of them when they're in a mission and hand them their part of the story on a silver platter - that ain't gonna happen, folks. If you want to be a part of the story, make yourself a part of it.

But, PLEASE remember, that there was a question posed by the story director. "Are you willing to be on the losing side?" The majority of the players answered yes...Just be sure that if you're going to do something violent, you might get caught and you might LOSE.

Seeing someone getting punished for their actions was amazing, and AO has a lot of promise in that respect. I never thought I'd see the day when a player could disrupt an event and then actually have to face the consequences. It's a shame there were OOC troubles, and that the accused were not willing to "lose" and were threatening quitting because they got caught.
    Byron "Shorthack" Bannister
    Director of Public Relations
    Titan Mining, LLC

I don't know, the Death Star was still unfinished...I'd hate to be one of the building contractors...
    Clerks. Kevin Smith rules.

As for Lowburn, I agree with you 100% I just wish there was a way to read about the news IN GAME. Like an archived newspaper or newsletter.

There is some new chat feature that hasnet been used yet. The omni one is Omni herald or some such. That maybe what we are looking for
    Truwind
    134th Doc
    Director of Dark Carnival
    Slayer of Snarf and his Merry men
    Destoyer of Destux and his gimps

Interactive? I'm praying it's so

Lowburn you hit the nail on the head. I believe the people at FC have done a great job integrating the players into the story. I think that the guilds just need to continue run and publish their player events. If they get picked up on great, if not, hopefully the person putting it together did a good enough job so that the intended audience had a good time.

Opinions well stated. Sad to say there isn't a mental maturity rating placed on the retail box.

1.) RPG games online/offline have always given people the opportunity to play 'act' roles that are either closely mirrored to their rl personality or to the very extreme opposite end of the spectrum.

Whether this is accepted by other players is an issue that can be highly debated. The boundaries are set by FC, which are rigid but loosely enforceable, can't always reflect the personal boundaries which each player has. The problem I've constantly seen over and over again is that players/guilds do abuse others under the ruse of 'Roleplaying'.

2.) Story line online/offline. I'm amazed at the depth to which FC is trying to bring this game story life. They have done quite a job while under constant attack from the player base. Balancing game developement and game maintenance issues is a very hard thing to do. Concentrating on one means that the other will lack attention and vice versa.

3.) I have no doubt FC has more things on the way. I also have no doubt that FC has changed some of it's original ideas to fit some of the demands of the player database. I also am calmed by the fact that FC has been quite open about player input. Implementation comes with time and although most people are impatient the end result will be the same.

4.) The MMORPG game community has been plagued by bug ridden games and it's a tragedy. Although AO managed to stick out like a sore thumb the rest of the games had their shares of problems as well. I played DAOC for the trial month. Although it was a less stressful task to do so compared to when I first tried AO the game itself just wasn't as compelling to me as AO was.

Closing: It's just a game and anytime you are put into a situation that would involve interaction with other invidivuals it won't always be on a positive note. I'd also like to note that even though some people's actions can be highly tolerated by others a line has to be drawn. When those actions cause more than just an annoyance to other players. ie. loss of xp etc. then someone has to step in.
    Josef "Dumbasbricks" Gruesbeck
    Sin-Tek Inc. Employee
    a division of Omni-Tek Hyper Corp.
    "I'm just a nobody... So don't mind me much." ~ me

"I pity the weak for when they fall they are forgotten... the strong may fall... but they are forever remembered." ~ me again

Hey Dumbasbricks, I haven't seen you since I used to pvp in Holes in the Wall. =)

Anyways, I like the SW analogies, seems that's a good way to compare what FC is trying to do. And ultimately, I'm glad to see some people are willing to cut Funcom some slack. =)

Exclamation Now we're getting somewhere, but we still have a looooong way to go...

We are thinking in the right direction now. We are all part of a story. But unless we all mature up and start taking the idea of role playing deadly serious we will never be in a position where a game designer like FC dare give any player a seriously major role.

To take the Star Wars analogy again - I mean what if Sir Alec Guiness, when he read that his character was going to be killed by Vader, said: "No. Never. Obi Wan is too Uber! I'm quitting now!!"?

I know the analogy is weak, but the point is valid: you have to realise that sometimes you have to lose for the narrative to go on.

Example, Im working on a Player event where one character in Tir has an arch enemy in Omni 1, but is prevented from going and dealing with said enemy personally. Therefore she has to get some help from someone.

This someone would then have to go to Omni 1, and persuade this person to follow them into a 25%/mayhem or arena zone...

The trick? I'm playing both characters - both the Clanner, trapped in Tir, and the nasty Omni beaurucrat who is responsible for all her woes.

The story in itself would be cool - especially for the other players who help realise it.

The only problem is, I need RPers to help me - cos I can't play all the roles in the story...
    The Interactor

"If it was easy, then everyone would do it"

Well I would be glad to help you out here Interactor...I enjoy doing things like that.

However...the problem is I am constrained a lot by time issues. So maybe if you want to discuss this at some point...then just let me know...

Well spoken Lowburn, and i couldnt agreed more...
    Father Chagidiel
    High priest in The Church of OmniTek

Thanks for the Support Hiero...

I am interested in trying to arrange some small-scale story events based on the background stories of characters. It would be great if you were interested in helping me out with this.

We could start something serious here...

I play on RK2 - send a /Tell to Kageman, Epifani or Slingback
    The Interactor

"If it was easy, then everyone would do it"

Likewise Lowburn... I miss those days of simplicity in PVP.

You are moving up in the ranks now, grats.

OOC: This game has so much *potential* I'd hate to see it capsize but I guess not all things turn out the way we hope it does. See you in game sometime, send me a tell.
    End OOC:
    Josef "Dumbasbricks" Gruesbeck
    Sin-Tek Inc. Employee
    a division of Omni-Tek Hyper Corp.
    "I'm just a nobody... So don't mind me much." ~ me

"I pity the weak for when they fall they are forgotten... the strong may fall... but they are forever remembered." ~ me again

..face it folks, this game is going down. RK2 has had no 'events' because..think about it... the storyline is actually being 'told' on AO's website.

Now, I ask you..do you see a RK2 website anywhere?

If they were successful they'ld be publishing the number of subscribers...and they aren't. I used to play a pretty 'nifty' game called Mankind - www.mankind.net - on their website..they had a counter of how many people were playing. The number kept on rising..it's at 168,000 now! Now that's the best advertisment you can get. AO mysteriously has never done that..at best you can get percentages of population per playfield on their status page.

My guess is the number of players is dropping. Players probably stick around until they get to lvl's 75 to 110 and then cancel - by then you have the game figured out..and there really isn't much to 'explore' anymore except powerlevelling...and by then even the most hopeful will have figured out that the storyline is made up of events where the player is at best an 'extra' in a movie that might as well go on w/o them.

No working economic game system that depends on a player controlled supply and demand chain.

No player controlled 'real estate'

No player influence over storyline

So, in essence...beautiful graphics...and that's about it. Too bad. I just cancelled..after /played 29 days 21hours 17minutes and 17seconds.