Thread: Alien-Tech today = better consumer goods tomorrow

Alien-Tech today = better consumer goods tomorrow

from a memo to all RUR employees and shareholders...

Fellow RUR employees and loyal shareholders,

We live in exciting times. On the 1st of September this current year we made First Contact; mankind's first encounter with an intelligent alien race. Well technically, I suppose, this could be called 'Second Contact' depending on whether you count the denizens of the Shadowlands. There is still much debate if the Xan count as genuine aliens where exactly the Shadowlands exist within a neo-classical Einsteinian time-space framework. The fact is the Shadowlands confuses the heck out of us scientist so we rather not talk about it.

It ought to be said that 'First Contact' was not established on the friendliest of terms, though not for lack of trying. At RUR we had prepared for the occasion by attempting to hire the Borealis Symphony Orchestra to greet our the space aliens. In the end budget constraints persuaded us to go for the Hope Polka Players instead.

We had the band rehearse a simple five note tune as a means to establish communications. The tune went something like 'Taa-dee-taa-dee-dum'. It seemed very catchy tune to me, but, judging from the from death rays which struck dead the panicked the Hope musicians, I'm guessing the aliens did not see it that way. Some comfort may be derived by the fact that this incident has made RUR something of a local hero in Hope.

Reports coming in from the rest of Rubi-Ka suggests that it's not just Polka players that offends these visitors from beyond. These aliens seem to be just plain mean and bad tempered by nature and since First Contact there has been constant fighting all over the planet.

It is entirely natural under these circumstances for people to feel afraid and feel uncertain about the future. But invite you all to look at the big picture. These space aliens bring with them technologies we can only marvel about. There is so much we can learn from even the simplest alien artifact, potentially so many ways this Alien-Tech can be adapted to improve our own technology. This, my friends, can be the dawn of a new industrial revolution!

For RUR to remain at the cutting edge of the household robotics market, it is imperative that we need to acquire, study and ultimately master this new technology. Can you imagine a new fleet of RUR vacuum cleaner robots or butler bots powered by this brand new Alien-Tech?

Thus let us ensure that this war against the invaders from outer space is not in vain! Let us grab, test, reverse-engineer and study every single scrap of Alien-Tech we can get hold of. Above all remember this, Alien-Tech today = better consumer goods tomorrow!

Dabblez,

Director of Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

My compliments

Dabblez,

I was very impressed by your ability to put a positive spin on the current situation on Rubi-Ka. The possibilities for alien technology are great. Though I will caution you on installing alien parts into your current product line right away. There is no guarantee that an R.U.R. bot with such a modification might not adopt the aliens' hatred for us Rubi-Kans. But good job on the innovation; I'm sure your marketing department will have a field day if you decide to integrate the new technology.

~Mireia
    Socializer: 80%
    Achiever: 53%
    Explorer: 46%
    Killer: 20%

Lucilla "Mireia" Ginsberg: Fixer on RK1. Proud member of Order of Corporate Templars.
    Ian "Irandrian" McCovery: Trader on RK1. Proud member of Thorns, Inc.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Please copy me into your signature so that I can spread.