Thread: 50 to 100 player "events" - what a joke!

Thumbs down 50 to 100 player "events" - what a joke!

"Player participation" and "immersive", eh? What a joke that is. So far in the events maybe 100 players have taken part..out of a total of how many? - 40,000 maybe? And in the "events" players at best take on the role of extras. All of them are completely staged - there is no "player participation"

Those that do participate in secret meetings, etc...well, they belong to the very privileged few...and even they are extras, since they don't control anything.

Portman has been captured...rofl...now, in this one players for sure didn't play a role..as we can't 'capture' jack nothing. The meeting Portman had with like 6 guild leaders..and 50 omnis were waiting outside to kill Portman. Woohoo...56 players..and they had an "impact" on the storyline. This is so lame it's gotta be painful for those lame GM's

As long as AO can't get a viable economic game model going that includes real estate that can be won or lost..and fought over, independent of what the damn game developers decide, as long as that doesn't happen, the storyline is going to be for 99% of the players something to read about on the half-baked web site FC has going.

I mean, just check out the web site JumpGate has going, now that is an awesome designed interactive website, linked intricately into the workings of the online world in Jumpgate. Sheesh FunCom..go and copy that! I mean, either you are totally understaffed, or really don't know what the hell you are doing.

So far the storyline has had ZILCH impact on the gameworld in AO, none whatsoever! And comging to think of it..well, what do you think at this point 'impact' COULD mean in AO? - Let me answer that: It could mean a change of suppression gas levels..and that is ALL! Big deal...waawaaa..now I can't hunt in Omni Territory anymore..waaawaaa!

..oh, and while I'm at it: goto http://gamespot.com and read the user reviews on AO! Hahaha, that will tell you where this game is heading. It's got about the worst reviews you can get. So far the only redeeming thing in AO are the world graphics (forget the mission graphics..pound those designers into the ground..better yet: fire them and never let them come back)..and this is the only reason AO still rates around 5.0 (out of 10)..otherwise it would be teetering around 2 or 3!

So far, FunCom, you haven't done ANYTHING as promised when you initially advertised the game. So far, this thing is a beautiful world..a "hack and slash" world with a bundle of mission bugs and problems! - And I've been with AO since Beta 4! - I'm just getting tired of waiting...I'm either going to go to Jumpgate or wait until Eve-Online is released..'cause I doubt this is getting any better.

If you leave can I have your stuff?

Talking Riiiight

and I'm sure you get upset that you can't participate in everything that happens that you dont get to do in real life too eh? not every little person is going to have a game changing effect on AO. the story line is hardly started of course no one has much had the chance to change anything. I think Aberic sure as hell got to interact with the story line. It's also hard to let everyone have an effect on the story line when half the people that play this game (please that is just a number being thrown out its not literal) come from a quake environment and not a RP environment and just want to be l33t and kill everyone thats 30 levels lower than them cause they are either 12 years old, have a little deek, or both. Some boundaries need to be set and accepted otherwise all you get is chaos. Besides the fact that if there were more than 50-100 people anywhere at one time everyone would magically be looking at their desktops. If people really want to get involved in the storyline you have 4 years to interact with it in some way. Man you people have no long term vision. Thats why I assume people powerlevel, they dont realize how boring it gets when you zoom to the top and cant do anything else but reroll cause theirs nothing left to do, but be an ass to everyone. I dont know, just had to rant

Later

Jeeze...and yet another one. If you want a story spoonfed to you in a way that requires no effort from you. Then go and watch some dribble on TV. That will probably keep you far more entertained.

If all you can see in AO is conflict between Clans/OT/Neut. then you are very shortsighted. Once the story gets going AO is going to be far more than just that.

Still each to their own opinion eh. Just keep sitting around maybe you'll get lucky and the story will come to you!

Talking heheh

I agree completely Heiro. I can't understand why these people think that this is going to fall in their laps. I'll bet these same people would be the ones whining if they finally did get to interact and the actions they take cause them to get severly punished. I personally think that Aberic et al had such a low grade punishment to let people know that there are repurcussions, and maybe in the future they will become more severe.

ROFL..u poor schmuck$

Obviously you didn't get my point. Lets see...best is you go out and check out www.shadowbane.com approach to a player driven economic gamesystem - that is if you manage to read through it. Apparently you didn't read my post..and much less comprehend what it states.

..right now the storyline is being "spoon-fed" in a "dribble" to all the players on RK. That's the point...it doesn't matter if all players or just a dozen are EXTRAS at an event.

There is no way you can capture a base/territory...there is no way players can organize to capture/control resources (the famous "Notum" mines) and in that way affect the game dynamics. There is no way to organize players and benefit from that organization (other than 'hand me downs' in equipment so far) as to gaining REAL control and REAL perks within the game, i.e. such as special items, abilities, control over a resource, etc...whatever. NONE of that is happening in AO and I can't see it coming yet.

So far, all you have are cute 'events' and movies from AO's web site...and then you have to sit back and wait for the declaration as to how this 'impacted' RK's 'reality' - "Yea,....GRRREAT! Woot, woot..it's gonna get better!" - Well, make a suggestion as to how it can get better, rather than posting your unfounded hopes here - and you didn't give them a basis, did you? DOH!

If you do visit www.shadowbane.com and manage to READ (possibly even study it...oh my!) some of the descriptions there, you will see that there is a way to instate player controlled game mechanics and economies - some great ideas there. But then, these guys are obviously light years ahead of FunCom...they make their ideas public in detail way ahead of the game.... I wonder why FC never did that...maybe because they are struggling? DOH!

Talking ok, I see your point

but have you seen it work in a live game? I do agree that its all been kinda Blah so far, but there a little things that have been happening that have an impact of sorts. It just needs time to develop in my opinon. I don't think they planned on this little trickle of events and interaction through-out the four years. If they did ehh, oh well, theres other things you can do your self and with other players to have individual stories and actions that matter to real people and not just the NPC's in the game. It can go either way. and yes, I am a schmuck, so what? Did I come here for a role-playing game? yes. Do I think I am wasting my money with the way they are running things? no. I have been having a blast role-plying in this game, heck I started the 2nd day after it came out and I'm only level 32. I spend a lot of my time interacting with other people and not trying to go off on a power trip thinking that in a world with 40,000 other people that I will be god like and rule them all with my deciosions. Hell, I don't even think that my individual actions will have any impact outside of the people that I directly come in contact with. If thats the case then oh well, I still get to have fun while playing the game, instead of getting a god complex and wanting to be the director or major actor in the events. I do agree that we should be able to take over enemy bases and things of that nature, but who says we wont be able to in the future this whole thing is new and new been done before, we are all learning together. I knew coming into this that it would be the case. no matter how well you plan something out there is always going to be unexpected circumstances. Maybe they plan on allowing territories to switch controls, but havent been able to implement it yet becasue they are trying to make a stable ground to walk on in Rubi-Ka so to speak. Or maybe this is all a bunch of scattered brain rambling and I dont know what I'm talking about. Either way I am making the game fun for myself. And I don't know how to use paragraphs either appearantly.

rofl GodtheBugs...hahahah - Like and appreciate your post..and yea..I'm a schmuck to...I'm still here. Believe me, I'm not into the powerlevelling side of it either..that's what's frustrating me.

I actually just saw a glimpse of what might have been a failed opportunity to impact the story.... - as we speak, so to say - I'm part of a guild that belongs to the "Red Freedom" - Well, our 'oh so wise' guild leader announced last night that he was going to meet w/GM Portman. Wow, I thought to myself, great..and what do we get?

Well, DOH..if our whole damn Red Freedom woulda shown up..well, maybe we could have prevented the Omni's from killing and 'capturing' her. Stupid mistake...and of course, it happened under the assumption that everything is pre-written..i.e. why the hell even bother going w/our Guild Leader to the meeting. "Let's just sit back and wait on what he will announce"

Damn lame of us.. I must admit..so, there is a flicker of hope..a flicker...

I'm still pissed though that the game economics are so rudimentary and almost absent (i.e. no real control possibilities over supply/demand chain) - They definetly NEED to implement that at some point..and I hope you are right, that it is just a matter of them getting a stable plattform before trying something potentiall de-stabilizing.

I spend a lot of time supplying retail sellers..helps them make money, and I don't have to deal w/laggy trade areas. So, I RP quite a bit..and have become quite wealthy. I'm only lvl77 and have /played like 28 days...so...hehehe I've been wasting quite a bit of my time

Talking yes,

that would just make it oh so sweet to me if we could take over the Omni outpost and launch attacks at omni-1 and I really do hope that they have a plan to implement it. I think its really hard to keep a steady economy though. I havent played other games where it has supposedly happend, but I just think that exploits and such are unavoidable in the first stages of live Play simply because there WILL be bugs that WILL be found by Quakers and used against the rest of the game. I imagine if they put a cap on the amount of money that was in the game world that would definetly be all they need to do. But I am not sure what all would be involved with that or if it would be possible. If they could implement that I imagine that you would get very few credits from mobs, unless they magically tricaled from the NPC stores to the Mobs. But then in situations like that theres always the possibility that an Uber l33t d3wd will get his hands on a sizeable chunk of the worlds money and then the rest of us are left with squat because no more credits can be generated to fill our pockets. Kinda like in the real world were in america something like 95%(again this is a guess) of our money is held by 5% of the people. If that were to happen in AO, youd have a lot of unhappy campers. Unless they added a way for FIXERS (comeon give us a friggin bone here) to be able to hack the banks and get money outta the ub3r l33ts account. That would be interesting indeed and give us poor little thieves a purpose.

Re: ROFL..u poor schmuck$

Originally posted by Santse
    Obviously you didn't get my point. Lets see...best is you go out and check out www.shadowbane.com approach to a player driven economic gamesystem - that is if you manage to read through it. Apparently you didn't read my post..and much less comprehend what it states.

..right now the storyline is being "spoon-fed" in a "dribble" to all the players on RK. That's the point...it doesn't matter if all players or just a dozen are EXTRAS at an event.

There is no way you can capture a base/territory...there is no way players can organize to capture/control resources (the famous "Notum" mines) and in that way affect the game dynamics. There is no way to organize players and benefit from that organization (other than 'hand me downs' in equipment so far) as to gaining REAL control and REAL perks within the game, i.e. such as special items, abilities, control over a resource, etc...whatever. NONE of that is happening in AO and I can't see it coming yet.

So far, all you have are cute 'events' and movies from AO's web site...and then you have to sit back and wait for the declaration as to how this 'impacted' RK's 'reality' - "Yea,....GRRREAT! Woot, woot..it's gonna get better!" - Well, make a suggestion as to how it can get better, rather than posting your unfounded hopes here - and you didn't give them a basis, did you? DOH!

If you do visit www.shadowbane.com and manage to READ (possibly even study it...oh my!) some of the descriptions there, you will see that there is a way to instate player controlled game mechanics and economies - some great ideas there. But then, these guys are obviously light years ahead of FunCom...they make their ideas public in detail way ahead of the game.... I wonder why FC never did that...maybe because they are struggling? DOH!
    I have been watching the progress of Shadowbane for the last year or so. And I think it is coming along very nicely and has some great ideas.

I apologise if I came across harsh in my post. But it seems you missed one of the key points I was trying to get at. You talk about each side of the conflict trying to obtain outpost and land from the other side. BUT and it is a big but. I don't think that is what AO is going to be about. AO's story is going to be about far, far more than just a petty struggle between two or three factions.

Basically what I am getting at...is that you are juding AO and it's story before it has even begun. Effectively judging a book by its first page. That makes little sense, and in all honestly cannot give you any clear idea as to what the game will entail 6 months or 2 years down the line.

It is more than power stuggle between OT and Clan. And to be honest with you. If all the story was about was gaining territory from the opposing side to see who will "win". Then for me AO would be very, very dull...as this is an extremly shallow premise.

Still...lets give it a little more time before we judge it eh? You imply that I had no patient to Read or Study. Well take your own words and give a little time to wait and study to see what AO is going to turn out to be.

It is a completly different premise to Shadowbane so it is usless to compair. May as well compair AO to www.eve-online.com

scary

I fear what would happen if all 40k showed up for an event in one zone at the same time

Sometimes it's bad enough with a couple of hundred at the same event