Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Key to defeating Aliens, tinfoil hats?

Hmmmmm..

Quite interesting, this.

Of course, that's about all it is.

Perhaps this is just meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but perhaps the folks up at Omtron have finally gotten all that toxic sludge hanging around in their sewers up through their water supply. Maybe you need to check when you pee if it glows or not. I'm here to help.

As for the science involved in such headgear. Well, how ironic for them to say these things. As we all know, most metals have the property of conductance. Some more than others. Aluminum foil or any derivative of aluminum is certainly on the high end of this, as it is used in many microelectronic applications as well as some regular discreet component circuitry.

Their theory sort of falls to the ground though, as a conductive material will store energy if it is not properly discharged, usually by a shunt to a ground state or something that can be a substitute for "earth ground" as it is known in the electronics field. Furthermore, higher frequency signals (like brainwaves) have slightly different rules than standard electron theory explains, and the phenomenon known as "skin effect" occurs. This basically means that the free electrons will spread throughout the conductive surfaces until saturation occurs, leaving the interior at a neutral state. Without a ground, it spreads until it has equal amounts of electrostatic force, and then has nowhere to go but OUT. Radiating, in layman's terms. Simply sticking a tinfoil hat on your head actually turns your head into an antenna, unless your hat has a connection to the ground. And I mean a CONNECTION to the ground. Like a big spike. With a very thick wire attached to it. Shoes won't do it.

The old Faraday cages and such did attenuate RF signals quite nicely if properly built, but that would mean you would have to be completely enclosed it in, thereby making you a stationary object. And I don't think "mind control" would be your biggest concern from an Alien if you look like a big pasta drainer stuck out in the middle of Andromeda. The probe might be a bigger concern.
    -----------------------------------
    The few, the proud...the Traders.

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Crime
    And I don't think "mind control" would be your biggest concern from an Alien if you look like a big pasta drainer stuck out in the middle of Andromeda. The probe might be a bigger concern.
    Lmaorofl!!!

BRILLIANT!
    I think I just found todays moment of zen right there. LOL
    Charissa Maephina Vein
    212 Metaphysicist
    My RP Profile Conflicted Voice Pak Plus!
    Somehow i just know that Haiku Poets, Mimes and Martha Stewart will have something to do with the end of the world... ~Escritores

/bow
    The few, the proud...the Traders.

Maartens - 220 Mogul and former gadfly of Rimor. Now I'm just a major n00b.

In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge!

Daimoness double-checks the calendar to make absolutely sure it's not April 1st.

I have long ago realized that any connection between OTPC's and my reality are purely coincidental, but this?

If the guys at OTPC still had to use keyboards, their "white coat which had extremely long sleeves" would have prevented them from posting such utter nonsense.
    Corrine Daimoness Wright
    - Veteran of Apocalypse
    - General of the Mercury Dragons (ret.)
    - Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12